Announcement

Collapse

MiceChat Rules

A list of MiceChat's rules can be found at the top of the Disneyland forum.
See more
See less

Laptop options...

Collapse

Header Ad

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clara
    started a topic Laptop options...

Laptop options...

Yup, I'm still looking for that new computer but now I'm looking into laptops simply for the mobility and size. I have limited living space.

Anyway, here is my thing. I take lots of photography and need alot of space to keep photos. I do back up all my photos, online or on discs, but I still need space.

Would a laptop have that kind of capability? Which would you suggest? I plan on going to Best Buy in the near future to look around but thought I'd ask here.

Thank in advance!
    Last edited by clara; 08-16-2007, 08:26 PM.

• TraceCub
    replied
    Re: Laptop options...

Originally posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    The plug doesn't get stuck in the machine, the connection compentent comes loose and stops feeding power to the unit properly.
    We had this happen to us a couple of years ago. Only the plug part did get stuck in the machine (stupid Geek Squad). We had to get it replaced right away but we still have the original laptop. One day we'll try to take all the information off of it at a computer service store then get rid of it. :lol:

Leave a comment:

• aimster
    replied

Considering a chill pad weighs at the most 1 pound and is flat so it stores in my laptop tote easily.... I don't see how it makes my laptop any less mobile.

But the designers of these things should put the vents on the back or the sides of the unit (like several small ones). Placing them on the bottom, when you know you're going to set the unit on something is just.... stupid.

Leave a comment:

• flynnibus
    replied

Originally posted by aimster View Post
    ^^I'd say a chill pad is almost essential... unless you want your unit to overheat all the time.
    if it overheats.. then it has its vents blocked or its a crap design.

vents being blocked is common when people set them on soft surfaces (like on a bed spread, carpet, etc)..

but if your laptop were to overheat sitting on a flat hard surface.. its a bunk design.

The more you tot around with the laptop or have hanging off of it.. less mobile it is

Leave a comment:

• aimster
    replied

^^I'd say a chill pad is almost essential... unless you want your unit to overheat all the time.

Leave a comment:

• flynnibus
    replied

Get yourself a chill pad. It's a thing that you set the laptop on and it has a fan or 2 that blows air up into the bottom of the unit to keep it from overheating.

The one I have is made by Targus and it works pretty well. Best Buy currently has it on sale for $18.99 (reg $33.99):

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1074788100200

You plug it into a USB port and it draws it power from the laptop. They also make one that has a 4 port USB hub built in so you're not taking away from your USB ports:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1093469291003

Also, if you don't like the touchpad, look into getting a travel mouse.
    If you need all that.. what's the point of having a laptop?

Leave a comment:

• aimster
    replied

^^ Get a chill pad!

Leave a comment:

• lazyboy97O
    replied

Originally posted by SCUBAbe View Post
    I have an HP...the power plug would never be an issue, not weak at all and I do not see how it could ever get stuck in the "machine"

as for it getting hot, yes it gets quite warm, but every laptop I have ever used gets warm during use.
    The plug doesn't get stuck in the machine, the connection compentent comes loose and stops feeding power to the unit properly.

I'm no talking warm, I'm talking hot.

Leave a comment:

• aimster
    replied

^^I'm planning on adding more memory to my laptop before the year is done (it's expandable for up to 4GB). Until then, I just got a 2GB flash drive that utilitizes Windows ReadyBoost to help improve the performance of Vista. So far it's working!

Leave a comment:

• Sambo
    replied

Originally posted by clara View Post
    Sweet - a dv2415nr. My wife got the dv9500z, the 17" version.

She did find that the 1 GB of memory and Vista causes a slowdown. (it's the shared video memory that takes a big bite right off the top) Adding another 1GB DIMM ($50 at Fry's) did the trick.

Leave a comment:

• clara
    replied

Originally posted by Sambo View Post
    Which HP did you get?
    HP Pavilion Notebook

Get yourself a chill pad. It's a thing that you set the laptop on and it has a fan or 2 that blows air up into the bottom of the unit to keep it from overheating.

The one I have is made by Targus and it works pretty well. Best Buy currently has it on sale for $18.99 (reg $33.99):

You plug it into a USB port and it draws it power from the laptop. They also make one that has a 4 port USB hub built in so you're not taking away from your USB ports:

I will be getting a mouse. It's not that I don't like the touchpad. I just like to use a mouse.

Leave a comment:

• aimster
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Sambo
    replied

Oh just FYI - I got an HP last week and love it very much

Which HP did you get?

Leave a comment:

• SCUBAbe
    replied

Originally posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Two things to watch:
    1. The fan. They tend to be placed poorly and cause the machine to heat up.
    2. The power plug connects tend to be weak and easily break (cable and in the machine).
    I have an HP...the power plug would never be an issue, not weak at all and I do not see how it could ever get stuck in the "machine"

as for it getting hot, yes it gets quite warm, but every laptop I have ever used gets warm during use.

Leave a comment:

• lazyboy97O
    replied

Oh just FYI - I got an HP last week and love it very much
    Two things to watch:
    1. The fan. They tend to be placed poorly and cause the machine to heat up.
    2. The power plug connects tend to be weak and easily break (cable and in the machine).

Leave a comment:

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X