This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Verizon phone - 'It will kill the iPhone'

Pretty bold claims by the CMO of Verizon!!!

Verizon unveils iPhone rival

By Sinead Carew 45 minutes ago

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Verizon Wireless unveiled three new cell phones on Wednesday for the holiday season, including a high-end handset named Voyager that will compete with Apple Inc's (AAPL.O) iPhone.
    ADVERTISEMENT

The Voyager, made by LG Electronics (066570.KS), trumps the iPhone by offering faster wireless Web access. But in a nod to the Apple device, which is only available to AT&T Inc (T.N) subscribers, it has a large touch screen and full Web browser.

Verizon Wireless hopes the new phone will attract customers put off by the iPhone's lack of a traditional keypad -- the Voyager hinges open to reveal a small computer keypad and a second screen.

"We think it'll be the best phone ... this year. It will kill the iPhone," Verizon Wireless Chief Marketing Officer Mike Lanman said in an interview.

Current Analysis analyst Avi Greengart said the Voyager may attract existing Verizon subscribers who do not want to switch service providers, but he doubted it would hurt iPhone sales.

"People who want a high-end media phone and want to stay with Verizon will certainly give that one a hard look. I don't know that it would pull anybody away from an iPhone," he said.

The battle for cell phone buyers' hearts this holiday shopping season is shaping up to be even fiercer than usual, as rivals to Apple and AT&T launch new challengers.

Verizon Wireless, owned by Verizon Communications Inc (VZ.N) and Vodafone Group Plc (VOD.L), has not been first with the hippest phones, but said this line-up is its best yet.

"Typically a carrier brings one, maybe two exciting products to the market in a year. We're bringing four," Lanman said, referring to the three new models and its existing LG Chocolate phone.

Verizon also introduced Juke, an ultra-narrow phone that comes in three colors and is shaped like a chocolate bar. The phone, made by Samsung Electronics (005930.KS), is less than 1 inch wide.

It also unveiled another LG phone, the Venus, which comes in black and pink, and has a phone keypad that slides out from under a touch screen. As with Voyager, it vibrates when a user taps a menu option on the screen.

Verizon Wireless would not give exact pricing beyond saying each phone would target a different segment and range from under $100 to about $400. The iPhone costs $399.

Greengart at Current Analysis said the new Verizon range is a step forward for a company that has been trumped before by AT&T, which sold Motorola Inc's (MOT.N) Razr long before Verizon did.

"This is something Verizon had to do," Greengart said. "It's been a long time coming for them to get hotter devices."

Venus and Voyager both have 2-megapixel cameras, and high-speed wireless connections for fast music and video downloads, and a slot for 8 gigabytes of extra memory. The iPhone has 8 gigabytes of built-in storage.

Venus and Voyager will launch before the end of November

The cheapest phone in the range is the Juke, which is narrower than any U.S. phone so far and will go on sale on October 19, Lanman said.

The Juke slides open to reveal a tiny keypad and comes in dark blue, red and teal. It has dedicated keys for playing music but does not have a high-speed wireless link.

Verizon Wireless said it expects to attract more fashion-conscious young users to Juke than those who want to constantly e-mail or Web-surf on cell phones.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071003/...on_phones_dc_4
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Originally posted by sleepyjeff
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Re: New Verizon phone - 'It will kill the iPhone'

Here's a site with a lot more photos and early 'hands on' with the LG phone
    http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/cellphone...ery-306428.php

Am I evil? yes, I am

Comment

Soooo....it sounds like an updated version of the enV?
      No thanks.
      One of my sons has the enV, and I'm not impressed.

I plan on leaving verizon as soon as my contract is up. I originally joined because of the free mobile to mobile, but I hate how they charge fore every little thing. First you gotta pay for the ring tone, then you gotta pay for the data airtime to download it, and I refuse to buy a game that requires airtime to play! and on Verizon, thats ALL of them, etc, etc.

Sorry, but that things not gonna kill anything, except maybe the enV, since it's replacing it.

Comment

Remember.. Dreams Come True!!!
        Growing older is manditory
        Growing up is however, optional

Comment

Wow the Juke is TINY! I'm interested in the Voyager, I have an enV now and I love the style of it.

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

Comment

So far I've enjoyed Verizon's service, and plan on continuing. I have the chocolate right now and will be buying a new phone in the next month or so - which is perfect that this is coming out. Yet, with chocolate being a touch phone already I have to say that once your phone gets effected by humidity it gets all wonky. There are times when my phone will just scroll through my contacts and dial a number randomly from there, it did that a lot when it was hot a few months ago ... now not so much.

I have to wonder though how durable the voyager phone will be against dust, humidity and shock. For that reason I'm thinking of getting that Casio phone from Verizon ... so I will hopefully not have this problem again.

Comment

Yeah and the Zune was going to kill the Ipod.

Comment

Engadget says the Voyager doesn't have the functionality of the iPhone, and web browsing is a pain in the butt...

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2007/1...w-fall-lineup/

Most verizon phones seem to emphasize style over functionality.

Comment

I just want a phone that works like a phone! Hard to find that now ... I personally don't care about web browsing on my phone to be honest. Camera is ok ... other then that I'd just like a phone that doesn't get all screwy on me.

Comment

Originally posted by Soulquarian View Post
                    Engadget says the Voyager doesn't have the functionality of the iPhone, and web browsing is a pain in the butt...

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2007/1...w-fall-lineup/

You are correct. And not surprisingly, Verizon installed their same old software into this phone as well. This LG model has been out for some time in Europe and I think would do better with it's own operating system, not Verizon's.
                    -Jack :geek:
                    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

Comment

Originally posted by TikiRoomLiz View Post
                      I just want a phone that works like a phone! Hard to find that now ... I personally don't care about web browsing on my phone to be honest. Camera is ok ... other then that I'd just like a phone that doesn't get all screwy on me.
                      You're gonna be S.O.L. pretty soon. The standard for phones is slowly becoming "smartphones" More than half the phones we sell in my AT&T store are PDA/Data/Smartphones.

Comment

Of course.. its an LG!

Am I evil? yes, I am

Comment

Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
                          Of course.. its an LG!
                          Which means you'll be returning it in a couple of months.
                          -Jack :geek:
                          Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

Comment

Originally posted by TikiRoomLiz View Post
                            The SE w810i is the best 'phone' I've ever had. It appears AT&T has replaced it in the lineup with w580i which is a slider vs the bar style the w810i is... but its a good phone, incredible battery life (2-3x most other phones), GOOD camera, and a good solid UI.

The new 580i is a bit different, but appears to have the same fundamentals internally - I'd highly recommend the 810i or a varient.

Am I evil? yes, I am

Comment

Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
                              The SE w810i is the best 'phone' I've ever had. It appears AT&T has replaced it in the lineup with w580i which is a slider vs the bar style the w810i is... but its a good phone, incredible battery life (2-3x most other phones), GOOD camera, and a good solid UI.

The new 580i is a bit different, but appears to have the same fundamentals internally - I'd highly recommend the 810i or a varient.
                              I'll have to check it out then. I miss my old Siemens ... which ended up dying on me after years of good service. Then I got a Nokia phone with a camera/radio/flashlight (who the heck needs a flashlight on their phone?!?!). Soon after that changed to Verizon, but it looks like I might be going back to AT&T/Cingular.

Comment

Originally posted by hollywood1939 View Post
                                I haven't any problems with my LG's....that' *I* haven't cause. I had my first, okay well second enV because the first one I dropped in the hot tub :blush: , enV for over a year and only had to replace it because I had dropped it so many times(again :blush: ) and one particularly hard drop I broken the area where the it plugs into the charger. This enV I have now, the slimmer model, has been problem free since February. Kyler has never had issues with his LG phones either. Now my husband's blackberry, can.not.stand.it

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

Comment

More than half the phones we sell in my AT&T store are PDA/Data/Smartphones.
                                  I heard AT&T is going to start offering the Blackberry Curve 8310 starting 10/11. That right? I can finally upgrade on 10/24 and I want a Curve so this is good news for me!

Comment

Originally posted by hollywood1939 View Post
                                    Oh yeah, right...

Still using my LG VX2000 - 8 plus years, and it's just now starting to fall apart. 9,632 calls, airtime 406 Hours 56 minutes 6 seconds. And 2 hours or so of Mobile Web, the mini-browser stinks but you can Google for a phone number with patience.

I don't care about "small" "light" or "fashionable" - I want it to "work". Gee, what a concept... (Wonder if I can get my old Motorola Brick turned back up? Still have my Alpine 1000 in the garage, and the Larsen 5db Omni antenna on the LandCruiser.)

Might go with the Palm Treo 700 unless I see something better - I need the organizer and "Outlook" style phone book, that way I don't need to carry an iPAQ too.

--<< Bruce >>--
                                    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Bruce, you can't go wrong with a Blackberry!

Comment

Originally posted by aimster View Post
                                        Bruce, you can't go wrong with a Blackberry!
                                        Is that the same Blackberry that was in a knockdown patent battle, and was threatened with shutdown several times? (The latest lawsuit was settled - finally.)

And the same Blackberry that funnels ALL the traffic through a single server, and has had some long outages when that server throws a horseshoe?

They used to say "You can't get fired for buying IBM", too - but times change and mainframes are old news. I prefer stuff that's a bit more robust.

--<< Bruce >>--
                                        There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X