This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Verizon phone - 'It will kill the iPhone'

Wow, and I just finally upgraded my 8 year old phone with a Razr(which I'm enjoying very much)

Comment

razr = pathetic battery life though Poor camera, miserable battery. please tell me its not verizon too.. where they cripple it.
      Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
      Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Originally posted by sleepyjeff
      Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Comment

Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
        razr = pathetic battery life though Poor camera, miserable battery. please tell me its not verizon too.. where they cripple it.
        A techie friend assures me that both of those issues have been addressed. Officially, they issued some firmware updates that helped with battery life - the original programmers used some really dumb logic in searching for cell sites and WiFi access points that sucked up battery current.

Unofficially, there are many hacks out to get around carrier restricted or blocked items, and on many more phones than just the Razr - but if they ever figure out what you did, the warranty goes bye-bye. And I don't have the spare change to go around "bricking" phones on a whim.

--<< Bruce >>--
        There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
          A techie friend assures me that both of those issues have been addressed. Officially, they issued some firmware updates that helped with battery life - the original programmers used some really dumb logic in searching for cell sites and WiFi access points that sucked up battery current.
          No - the phone still 'boasts' a pathetic talk time of less then 3hrs.

Unofficially, there are many hacks out to get around carrier restricted or blocked items, and on many more phones than just the Razr - but if they ever figure out what you did, the warranty goes bye-bye. And I don't have the spare change to go around "bricking" phones on a whim.
          Its not hard at all - but the point is - why go there to begin with when you don't have to? Stay away from verzion and their draconian practices. Forcing you to renew your commitment all the time (don't buy into that $100 towards a new phone BS.. its just like signing a new commitment.. just like a new customer), forcing you to renew your commitment anytime you make changes to your account, crippling your phone, forcing you to ONLY use their paid products, making you buy a phone that will not work on another network, etc etc.

Am I evil? yes, I am

Comment

I still want a Blackberry.

Comment

my coworkers really like the refined improvements in the software of the curve.

Am I evil? yes, I am

Comment

That's what I want... a Curve. The 8310 is supposed to come out tomorrow, but I've heard it's been pushed back to either the 16th or 24th, although no one is confirming or denying anything other than what they were told by various sales reps at AT&T stores. I'm really to just get the 8300 as I need a new phone bad, but I want the red the 8310 is coming out in!

Comment

Yeah and the Zune was going to kill the iPod.
                  Are they still selling the Zune?

To answer the other questions, Yes my Razr is Verizon and so far I've no problems with talk time or other issues. Given that my previous phone was not as sofisticated, I'm really enjoying the phone.

Comment

Oh yeah, right...

Still using my LG VX2000 - 8 plus years, and it's just now starting to fall apart. 9,632 calls, airtime 406 Hours 56 minutes 6 seconds. And 2 hours or so of Mobile Web, the mini-browser stinks but you can Google for a phone number with patience.

I don't care about "small" "light" or "fashionable" - I want it to "work". Gee, what a concept... (Wonder if I can get my old Motorola Brick turned back up? Still have my Alpine 1000 in the garage, and the Larsen 5db Omni antenna on the LandCruiser.)

Might go with the Palm Treo 700 unless I see something better - I need the organizer and "Outlook" style phone book, that way I don't need to carry an iPAQ too.

--<< Bruce >>--
                    Majority of LG's models have high return rates. One had a 95% return rate, the highest that I've ever seen on a phone model, ever. Don't get a 700, there are better models out there.

Is that the same Blackberry that was in a knockdown patent battle, and was threatened with shutdown several times? (The latest lawsuit was settled - finally.)

And the same Blackberry that funnels ALL the traffic through a single server, and has had some long outages when that server throws a horseshoe?

They used to say "You can't get fired for buying IBM", too - but times change and mainframes are old news. I prefer stuff that's a bit more robust.

--<< Bruce >>--
                    Never had any problems with my Blackberry and have never heard anything bad about them otherwise people wouldn't be pay $45+ per month for the service. Plus, you can drop the Blackberry a ton of times and not have to much of a problem, unlike say, the Treo 700.

Windows OS on any phone is not that good. I haven't seen 6.0 but 5.0 on down always has some sort of bug.
                    -Jack :geek:
                    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

Comment

Originally posted by Soulquarian View Post
                      Engadget says the Voyager doesn't have the functionality of the iPhone, and web browsing is a pain in the butt...

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2007/1...w-fall-lineup/

Most verizon phones seem to emphasize style over functionality.
                      There was a time when Verizon put function and practicality first.

I'm getting ready to replace my "V" and I did have to replace it once or twice. My parents had LG 5200's and while my step_dad never had to take his in, my mom had some issues every so often. I want a QWERTY keyboard that I can actually use without having to use my fingernails to hit the buttons, as well as decent media player, so thats why I'm looking at the Voyager.
                      Buy Genius eau de toilette: Made with 1% Inspiration

Happiness is returning after a much regretted hiatus!!!

BOO!

Comment

I want the EnV phone, just so it's easier to text. I have no use for the music player or internet or fancy features.
                        I was thinking about a Razr, but I looked it up and saw many, many terrible reviews.
                        Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

Comment

UPDATE: I went with the Palm Treo 700wx, and it's great - except for the quirky "Type a name or number" phonebook that can't remember how to look people up. Simpler to go into "Contacts" and look them up that way.

And I need to go get a Bluetooth Keyboard for doing mass text entry work, can't use the one for my iPaq, I doubt I'll ever get anywhere near as fast thumb typing as touch typing. And the screen is too small to use letter recognition, but at least it is still there. The whole idea was to NOT need to carry the laptop.

Just look how far they shrunk a fully functional computer... And it even makes good phone calls!

--<< Bruce >>--

Comment

I'm still loving my Blackberry. Clumsy me has dropped it a bunch of times the last couples weeks and not a scratch!

Comment

I just dropped my LG enV in the sink. Its pretty much gone. It tries to stay alive but the poor thing just shuts off.

R.I.P LG enV 6/9/07 - 12/26/07
                              Har har har

Comment

Originally posted by garbear View Post
                                I just dropped my LG enV in the sink. Its pretty much gone. It tries to stay alive but the poor thing just shuts off.
                                Electronics have a very good chance of surviving being dropped in water. I've even read stories of (D)SLR cameras surviving being dropped in salt water, but certain steps must be followed. First thing to remember is to turn it OFF or remove battery(ies). Keeping it ON or constantly turning it OFF/ON might/will cause a short circuit.
                                See the link:
                                http://www.phoneforums.org/phones/59...one-water.html

Comment

Yeah, I would definately open up the battery compartment, take the battery out and let it dry out for a few days.

That happened with our video camera (got SOAKED on splash mountain once about a month after we bought it). I let it dry out for a few days and I'm still using it today (more than 2 years later).

Comment

Originally posted by garbear View Post

R.I.P LG enV 6/9/07 - 12/26/07
                                    Oh, (darn!)... Sounds like it might be too late for yours, since you tried powering it up while wet, and that'll kill them fast.

If this ever happens to you or anyone while you are there, the FIRST thing you do is QUICKLY remove the batteries from the phone, get the power turned off NOW. Physically rip it out of their hands if necessary. (Apologize afterwards - time is of the essence.) The power button isn't fast enough, and energizes more circuits inside the phone during the turn-off process.

Then shake it toward any openings like the headset jack to force any water that got inside back out. You could use the "whirl it in an old sweatsock centrifuge" to force out the water - low-tech but surprisingly effective.

Then stick the powered down phone in a warm oven (pilot-light or the oven light on) for a few days to dry out before even attempting to power it back up. If you have some packs of silica gel dessicant handy (or know where to buy them) put the phone in a plastic bag with the dessicant and place it in a warm spot.

If it's dead, it's gone. And there are water indicators inside the phone so they will know that it has been wet, so if it isn't insured they will not give you another phone under warranty - that $3 - $5 a month for insurance can save you a lot more.

--<< Bruce >>--

Comment

This is why I keep my phone away from all water sources. I'm so accident prone it's ridiculous.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                      Working...
                                      X