• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zeus
    :)
    • Oct 2005

Calling All Computer Techs! Building a PC

Okay so I'm not a computer tech or wiz, my friend builds computers for a living and told me to compile everything I will be putting in it and he will help me build it up and show me a thing or two....So here it is, this is what I plan on building...My main purpose will be for gaming / business and small video editing...so Here it is...

I was curious if this was all compatible with one another and would work well....I've read a lot about each product, but I do understand some products / brands work better together / not together, etc..so if anybody has any input please let me know!

Here is what I will be putting into the PC:

MOBO: EVGA 122-CK-NF68-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

PROCESSOR: Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Conroe 3.0GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6850 - Retail

HARD-DRIVE: Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

MEMORY: OCZ 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2P8004GK - Retail

VIDEO CARD: EVGA 640-P2-N821-AR GeForce 8800GTS 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

POWER SUPPLY: OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI ATX12V 700W Power Supply - Retail

All together this PC will be running me right below $1,500 Which isn't to shabby for the memory, quality, and speed going into it...
  • Sambo
    Down Pluto!
    • Feb 2005

Re: Calling All Computer Techs! Building a PC

The MB is known to have issues...

But otherwise - not too shabby.

sigpic

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

Comment

• Zeus
      • Oct 2005

What else would be good with SLI and compatable w my other hardware? Yea, looking at newegg the evga had the best reviews w/ the least amount of issues but I would love more input!

Comment

• sgtpeper
        MC State Comptroller
        • Nov 2005

I agree with the above poster the MB has been know have certain issues but you should be fine. A bit of overkill (IMHO) on the Ram, but that is your choice and i'd probably do the same thing. Check your prices against newegg, pcmall and tiger direct. I just bought an 500GB 7200 IDE internal HD for my wife's machine at newegg and found it was a few bucks cheaper through tiger direct and they were offering free 2nd day shipping. So shop around.

As long as you don't put Vista on it you'll be fine.
        "Here you leave Today and enter the world of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Bankruptcy!"

Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without saying, "You're making a scene!"

Arizona Cardinals 2008 NFC Champions

Comment

• FrumiousBoojum
          Huh?
          • Jan 2005

I might disagree with overkill on the ram...

Even if you're doing small video editing, doing that plus gaming -- you'll probably want more RAM.

I'm going to be probably building a computer at some point. Getting it little by little. Preferably a non-Windows system. Or multiple OSes if I can swing it.

Either that or just get everything from a Mac store.
          -Tim

Comment

• Zeus
            • Oct 2005

Another Question....What's the difference with the Intel Processors..

Will I notice a large difference with computer gaming with a different type of processor?

There is the Intel Core 2 Duo
            than the Intel Core 2 Quad
            than the Intel Core 2 Extreme

I was thinking about getting a Intel Core 2 Duo

Will I notice a major Difference if I get the Extreme or Quad Core? It'll be mainly for gaming...

Comment

• Zeus
              • Oct 2005

Anybody?

Comment

• Sambo
                Down Pluto!
                • Feb 2005

Not a big gamer - can't answer...

sigpic

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

Comment

• Joe User 99
                  Just your average Joe.
                  • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Zeus View Post
                  Will I notice a major Difference if I get the Extreme or Quad Core? It'll be mainly for gaming...
                  Yes there will be a difference. Check out the CPU charts at Toms Hardware:
                  (It'll be different based on different hardware, but not much. For example, they are using a P35 chipset MB.)

Comment

• avastluckyman
                    vmk lova
                    • May 2006

Originally posted by sgtpeper View Post

As long as you don't put Vista on it you'll be fine.
                    rofl yep. sounds good.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X