Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flat Screen, Plasma, TV'S What's the whole 411 on this?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flat Screen, Plasma, TV'S What's the whole 411 on this?

Our TV has been showing signs of going with the screen changing colors, buttons starting to malfunction, little stuff here and there. We have held back from making this purchase for as long as we can.

Just curious what some of the MiceChat members out there have bought or information they have found the best to read up on Flat screen TV's and Plasma.
    And what brands do you trust in this relatively new technology?
    What kind of questions should I be asking at the stores?

Any help would be nice, thanks!
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Re: Flat Screen, Plasma, TV'S What's the whole 411 on this?

We were told Samsung is the brand to buy for plasma TV's. The newest generation (we're getting a 5th generation) is built to last. The guy doing the wiring for sound in our house sets up and installs systems for a living and he also uninstalls plasmas when they need repair. He says the newest Samsungs are beautiful, clear, not a lot of glare, and are of higher quality than most brands. We're getting a 50 inch.

When shopping, be sure you're looking at the newest generation before purchasing. With any new technology, the newer the generation, the higher the quality and features. Most TVs you see on sale are the older generation. Pay a few hundred dollars more to get the better model.

720+ pixels is considered high definition, I think...so ask about that as well. See what you like, then do your research online.

https://ec.consumerreports.org/ec/cr...?INTKEY=I61CL3

Might be worth joining for a month to get the goods on TVs through Consumer Reports. We chose our kitchen appliances and some other things using CR. My dad has subscribed since I was a baby and he never ever has anything fail on him.

Good luck!

Comment

Stink pretty much nailed it for plasmas. Samsung is a great brand. Not cheap, but this is an area where you actually don't want to look for bargains. Cheap plasmas are cheap for a reason.

Be careful if you look at LCDs. While they are flat and look great in a store, they wear out quickly and so far every single one I've seen has problems with pixelation and image smearing. If that doesn't bother you then no big deal, but for me artifacting is extremely annoying.

At the very least shop around a lot and view a lot of sets before buying one. Also keep in mind where in your house you'll be setting up the TV. Plasmas don't do so well in highly lit (especially sunny) rooms.

Comment

LCD you don't have to worry about burn in like you do with a plasma. I used to work for Good Guys when they were still around. When I worked there, plasmas and lcd's were the new kids in town, and I preferred plasma over lcd. Now days I like lcd over plasma.
        I hate robots...

One Annual Pass-$365 379
        Gas For Car- $60
        Meeting Billy Goat Bob- Priceless

Comment

My hubby wanted a plasma, but was told that they don't do well in high altitudes. So, we've put it off - anybody know if there's any truth to it?
          sigpic
          Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

Comment

Lisa and I are shopping around for a HDTV, and so far, we are thinking about a 42" Hitachi Plasma 720p that will be on sale at Sears on Black Friday for $599.

http://www.black-friday.net/

And just came across this special...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...0e37b00f88e7fb

Wal-Mart, a Black Friday pioneer, has gotten a three-week jumpstart on the tradition by offering Toshiba's HD-A2 HD DVD player for $98.87. The special pricing is only available at retail stores and valid through the close of business Saturday, according to a Wal-Mart spokeswoman.
            Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jazzman View Post
              Stink pretty much nailed it for plasmas. Samsung is a great brand. Not cheap, but this is an area where you actually don't want to look for bargains. Cheap plasmas are cheap for a reason.

Be careful if you look at LCDs. While they are flat and look great in a store, they wear out quickly and so far every single one I've seen has problems with pixelation and image smearing. If that doesn't bother you then no big deal, but for me artifacting is extremely annoying.

At the very least shop around a lot and view a lot of sets before buying one. Also keep in mind where in your house you'll be setting up the TV. Plasmas don't do so well in highly lit (especially sunny) rooms.
              Originally posted by stinkerbell View Post
              We were told Samsung is the brand to buy for plasma TV's. The newest generation (we're getting a 5th generation) is built to last. The guy doing the wiring for sound in our house sets up and installs systems for a living and he also uninstalls plasmas when they need repair. He says the newest Samsungs are beautiful, clear, not a lot of glare, and are of higher quality than most brands. We're getting a 50 inch.

When shopping, be sure you're looking at the newest generation before purchasing. With any new technology, the newer the generation, the higher the quality and features. Most TVs you see on sale are the older generation. Pay a few hundred dollars more to get the better model.

720+ pixels is considered high definition, I think...so ask about that as well. See what you like, then do your research online.

https://ec.consumerreports.org/ec/cr...?INTKEY=I61CL3

Might be worth joining for a month to get the goods on TVs through Consumer Reports. We chose our kitchen appliances and some other things using CR. My dad has subscribed since I was a baby and he never ever has anything fail on him.

Good luck!

Originally posted by DisneyDan24 View Post
              LCD you don't have to worry about burn in like you do with a plasma. I used to work for Good Guys when they were still around. When I worked there, plasmas and lcd's were the new kids in town, and I preferred plasma over lcd. Now days I like lcd over plasma.
              Thanks for all the info. Much-o helpful I have a sunny room so I may have to invest in some tinting too better remedy the situation when we get ready to purchase. Sounds like Plasma is the way to go.

By the way, has anyone heard how they are when playing console games? Is there any truth too the rumor that if you pause a game to long, it will "burn the screen?"
              Samsung sure has stepped it up since my last purchase of one of their products.
              1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkbeer View Post
                Lisa and I are shopping around for a HDTV, and so far, we are thinking about a 42" Hitachi Plasma 720p that will be on sale at Sears on Black Friday for $599.

http://www.black-friday.net/

And just came across this special...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...0e37b00f88e7fb
                I would love to jump on those deals, but I work that weekend. No getting out of it for me.

Comment

Originally posted by TicTocDragon View Post
                  By the way, has anyone heard how they are when playing console games? Is there any truth too the rumor that if you pause a game to long, it will "burn the screen?"
                  the current generation consoles go to an almost black screen when they are paused for an extended time.
                  Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

Comment

Originally posted by justjohn View Post
                    the current generation consoles go to an almost black screen when they are paused for an extended time.
                    Thank you. Glad its been taken care of.

Comment

This is a bigger issue with plasmas than LCDs, but still possible with both. LCDs are basically just huge computer monitors, so think of them like you do a laptop screen with a screensaver. As pointed out already, most new consoles will go to black or a screen saver when paused too long, but older consoles don't always. It's just one of those things to be mindful of, but not worry about when making a purchasing decision.

Originally posted by BFJen View Post
                      My hubby wanted a plasma, but was told that they don't do well in high altitudes. So, we've put it off - anybody know if there's any truth to it?
                      This is because plasmas generate images using tiny "bubbles" filled with compressed gases (hence the name "plasma") as opposed to the tiny electronic "lights" in conventional or LCD sets. Gases at higher altitudes expand because of the pressure difference (think of your ears popping on an airplane) so plasmas can fail when these gases burst their containers. Some manufacturers are already close to finishing development on altitude safe sets, and it shouldn't be long before "any altitude" plasmas or standard from all makers.

Comment

Burn in is not an issue on LCDs.

Burn-in is less an issue on newer plasmas, but the burn-in potential is still there because most TV broadcasting, even much of the HD content is still in the old squarer format, leaving the black bands on the sides.

LCDs can also be viewed in a bright room with much better results than plasma and they weigh much less if you are thinking about wall mounting. Most also have an average life of 50,000 hours on the light source, and since it is a flourescent source, it doesn't dim with age like a plasma.

Pixilization on LCD's has been a problem in the past, but most now are very good, and black levels on many models are approaching plasma.

See what looks good in the store. And don't discount plasma or LCD. You are likely to be very happy with either. Take a DVD of an action film, so you can compare how smooth the action is. Also ask to see a standard definition TV feed, since for the next few years, most of your programming is likely to be standard def. Some HD sets handle standard def better than others. We have sets by Sony, Vizio, and Olevia, very happy with all three companies so far, and the newest two will pick up local HD signals from our standard def (digital) cable feed.
                        "Not Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Astor together could have
                        raised money enough to buy a quarter share in my little dog."

� Ernest Thompson Seton

Comment

Originally posted by MickeyMaxx View Post
                          Burn in is not an issue on LCDs.
                          Not exactly true. It's less of a problem, but not impossible. When I ran electronics for a local Target we had to send back a few LCD display models because they had images burned into them after a few months of continuous use. It's not supposed to happen, but it did. They were cheaper sets and had tons of dead pixels by the time we pulled them too. One had a little bullseye burned so clearly into the corner that it was clear even after the set was off.

Comment

That used to be true, but on mainstream brand, current models of LCD TV's, it is a non issue.

From ConsumerReports.org:

For heavy use with video games or as a PC monitor. Both types of flat panels can do the job, but with an LCD, there's no chance static images will burn in. With a plasma TV, burn-in is a concern with video games, computer programs, and TV programming that has fixed images onscreen for a long time. That includes station logos, news tickers, even the bars alongside standard-def pictures. Many plasma sets have screen-saver features to minimize risk, but burn-in is still possible.
                            "Not Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Astor together could have
                            raised money enough to buy a quarter share in my little dog."

� Ernest Thompson Seton

Comment

I'd still stick to plasma and if choosing LCD, stay with more expensive models. I'll believe press releases when I see the result personally. Thanks for the cite though. Good info.

Comment

We have a 42 inch Phillips plasma, my husband got it from Costco because he 'just couldn't pass it up'. It's got great picture quality, not at all what I'd expect from Phillips!

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

Comment

My son Spencer worked in the TV department at Circuit City before he went back to school, and he got himself a Sony LCD. If I were looking for a HDTV I'd be checking CNET.
                                  Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
                                  2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.
                                  2014 so far: 7846 miles, 451,000 feet
                                  sigpic

Comment

I love my Panasonic LCD TV. I have a south facing living room and a huge window, so plasma was out of the question for me, the room was to bright.

Comment

Decide if you want a wall mount or table mount. Why spend so much more for a flat panel if you aren't going to use it as such? Also consider if you do wall mount your TV, where all your other 'stuff' goes... DVD players, cable box, video games, etc.

Microprojectors are still a great deal for the price/size.

Plasmas work fine in bright areas, where people don't like it is because of the glare of the screen (they have a reflective surface). LCDs have a matte finish usually and therefore will have have glare like a plasma will. The off-angle viewing of a plasma still can not be beat though. Look at your room and understand if viewing angles, windows, and mounting are issues. Use that in your decision process. Don't buy 'this great TV' that will not work in your space!

LCDs will burn in with 'abuse' - just as your CRT, plasma, or any screen will. Its just a matter of which is most sensitive, and plasma is. But it will not be an issue in home use, nor will the lifetime in hours. A few years ago the lifespan was a 10th of what they are now.

The quality winner is almost always going to be a plasma. The response is better, the blacks are better, the contrast is better. But the trick is, do you care enough to justify the tradeoffs?

Plasmas are heavier, louder, and take more power then a comparable LCD, and will cost more.

Pioneer is the 'man' to look at for plasmas in the consumer price range if you are after quality, which if you are picking a plasma to start with you should be. Not sure why someone would tell you Samsung. They are a strong 'B' Grade, but not an A/A+ at all.

If 'good enough' is just that, then I'd pick a LCD. Find out which have the better scalers and SD performance! Your biggest disappointment if you are not used to it will be how crappy standard definition (especially a cable feed) will look on your new sexy TV. A good portion of what you watch will still be SD, so make that an important review point.

DON'T BUY the stupidly insane priced cabling from your retailer - no matter what they tell you. Its marked up by about 10x what they should cost. Buy your cables from a place like http://www.totalsignal.com and save yourself a fortune.
                                      Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
                                      Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Originally posted by sleepyjeff
                                      Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Comment

Our TV has been showing signs of going with the screen changing colors, buttons starting to malfunction, little stuff here and there. We have held back from making this purchase for as long as we can.

Just curious what some of the MiceChat members out there have bought or information they have found the best to read up on Flat screen TV's and Plasma.
                                        And what brands do you trust in this relatively new technology?
                                        What kind of questions should I be asking at the stores?

Any help would be nice, thanks!
                                        Don't get an Insignia. I have one, and my house phone interferes with the sensor for the remote on the tv and shuts the tv on and off. Its a plasma screen.
                                        Har har har

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X