Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flat Screen, Plasma, TV'S What's the whole 411 on this?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Flat Screen, Plasma, TV'S What's the whole 411 on this?

I have only seen one post on this so far, and most if not all stores never tell customers about the amount of power a Plasma Television draws. The average Plasma will draw somewhere in the neighborhood of 4 amps, with the super-size 60 inch plus screens drawing much much more than that. (LG has a model that drew 12 amps) Keep this in mind if you watch a lot of television, as your power bill could see a dramatic rise.

As others have said, when it comes to the LCD/Plasma TV's, you get what you pay for.

Comment

Originally posted by PinBrian View Post
      I have only seen one post on this so far, and most if not all stores never tell customers about the amount of power a Plasma Television draws. The average Plasma will draw somewhere in the neighborhood of 4 amps, with the super-size 60 inch plus screens drawing much much more than that. (LG has a model that drew 12 amps) Keep this in mind if you watch a lot of television, as your power bill could see a dramatic rise.

As others have said, when it comes to the LCD/Plasma TV's, you get what you pay for.
      Good to know the differences in the LCD'S and Plasma. The power comsumption is something to be concerned with definitely.

One thing is most of the electronics and appliances I like to buy to last.
      1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Comment

http://www.flattvpeople.com/tutorials/lcd-vs-plasma.asp
        Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Comment

Very good info here! I will also add in that the actual mounting of a Plasma and an LCD is pretty much the same. Always make sure you have a nice sized stud to mount your TV mount on, no matter if it is a LCD or Plasma. With some Plasmas (and probably older houses) you may have to have additional brace-work added on to your house.

FWIW, I work for a major electronics retailer traveling around the country doing new store openings and remodels. I have dealt with these TVs for the past 4 years or so. Mounting them is not hard at all. My first one was sort of nerve-wracking, but if you take your time, anybody can put one of these up.

Comment

yes, the standardization in mount points has made hanging them much easier... now running the cable, placing your equipment, etc is all the same challenge though
            Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
            Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Originally posted by sleepyjeff
            Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Comment

Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
              yes, the standardization in mount points has made hanging them much easier... now running the cable, placing your equipment, etc is all the same challenge though
              As I stated earlier, all of that falls into part of my job scope. Mounting points are not totally standardized (yet) due to the huge difference in screen sizes, but the universal mount kits include the standard size fasteners you need.

I personally enjoy running the cable, placing equipment, etc...My parents are currently setting up a home theater in an extra room with a drop down screen, 7.1 surround, HD projector, etc....As soon as I get home (Been gone for almost 8 weeks for work) I will be there running the cable and all of that fun stuff!

Comment

I did that type of av integration for about 6 years - fun rewarding work, but I'm also glad I don't do it anymore

Having access to every kind of AV gadget is neat though Go work for Crestron.. they get a CRAZY discount on gear.. like 80-90%
                Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
                Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Originally posted by sleepyjeff
                Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Comment

I just upgraded to the 58" Samsung plasma. I wanted 1080p since I have a Bluray player.
                  HDAlien

-----------------------------------------------------
                  "I dream of the day when you can go to a drive through, purchase alcohol, tobacco, and bullets, and use them all before you get home" -- Dogbert

Comment

Originally posted by HDAlien View Post
                    I just upgraded to the 58" Samsung plasma. I wanted 1080p since I have a Bluray player.
                    Brag much? I've been browsing for a 50 incher but the wife thinks our current TV is just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by GrouchyRob View Post
                      Brag much? I've been browsing for a 50 incher but the wife thinks our current TV is just fine.
                      I have a 10 incher and the g/f thinks its just fine.
                      Originally posted by Grumpee
                      I only care for Disney bling!

Comment

Originally posted by Duck44 View Post
                        I have a 10 incher and the g/f thinks its just fine.

Giving 5 inches twice to get 10?

Comment

Originally posted by GrouchyRob View Post
                          Giving 5 inches twice to get 10?
                          how did you know I have 2 units? I want to upgrade but it looks expensive. Congrats on your 58 incher HD.
                          Originally posted by Grumpee
                          I only care for Disney bling!

Comment

My parents have the best plasma you can buy... a Panasonic. They love it. Theirs is a 42" and they've had it for a year.

I have an Olevia LCD (I hate screen glare). Mine is also 42". The picture is bright and clear. I've had it for a week and am totally impressed with it. My boyfriend is uber jealous. He's happy I like football so we can watch games together on it every weekend. LOL!

I've heard good things about the Samsung ones. A couple of my old TV's back in the 90's were Samsungs and they were great. I think one of my old VCR's back in the day wa sa Samsung as well. Never had a problem with any of their products that I've owned.

Comment

I don't think anyone mentioned about the resolution being 1080i at least or 1080p which is what the newer devices being made are at, so your 720p will have to upconvert. Mainly right now the only things that are 0180 or the HD/Blue Ray DVD's....but most tv networks are at 1080i now.

I wouldn't get a LCD for anything over 42", I'd go plasma for the bigger TV's. I have a LCD Sharp Aquos 1080p got from Costco for 1400, at Best Buy and Circuit City it was 2200, go figure! Same one! LCD has passed plasma in a sense now.

Plasmas I'd go with Samsung, Panasonic, Pioneer.

LCD I'd go with Sharp, Sony.
                              Three-time MVP Larry Bird, noting that Bryant has been the NBA's premier player for years, told Sports Illustrated's Dan Patrick before this week's announcement, "When someone told me the other day that Kobe hadn't won an MVP trophy, it sort of made me feel like I wanted to throw mine away."

Comment

Yeah I forgot to mention my Olevia is a 1080i. Still can't get over how great the picture is.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X