This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switching from Vista back to XP

I'm going to be getting a new computer in about a month (can't afford a MAC though) and most computers come pre-loaded with VISTA. I don't want it because I know it has issues, and I know XP and I'm fine with it.

Anybody know of an easy way to install XP on a new computer if you don't have the original installation disc from your previous computer?

I don't want to have to buy a new computer, and then XP on top of it.

Re: Switching from Vista back to XP

The most straight forward way is to just format the disk drive and install XP.
    Plague Of Vampires | A Novel by Eric and Elizabeth Gerds:

Buy Now at Amazon

Comment

Originally posted by ni_teach View Post
      The most straight forward way is to just format the disk drive and install XP.
      Which is what he would do if he had the discs.

Clinks is asking if there is a way to get XP off of his old computer and onto his new computer without the discs. Correct Clinks?
      Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

Comment

My DH would like to know the answer to this problem too. The motherboard on his laptop fried and he is spending money on the old computer just so he doesn't have to deal with getting a Vista computer and all new software!

Comment

Originally posted by sir clinksalot View Post
          I'm going to be getting a new computer in about a month (can't afford a MAC though) and most computers come pre-loaded with VISTA. I don't want it because I know it has issues, and I know XP and I'm fine with it.

Anybody know of an easy way to install XP on a new computer if you don't have the original installation disc from your previous computer?

I don't want to have to buy a new computer, and then XP on top of it.
          Many stores are still selling new computers with XP. Dell even lets you select which operating system you want when you order.
          MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

Comment

Vista already loaded onto a new computer is actually fine. My laptop came preloaded with Vista Home Premium and it's fine. It's a memory hog (big surprise), but I recently upgraded to 2GB of RAM in the laptop and noticed a considerable difference. It's upgrading from XP to Vista that's been seeing all sorts of problems. As a result, I'm keeping XP on the desktop PC.

Comment

gregg, do a search in here because i asked that question a few months ago.
              however, I've kept vista on my laptop, and it's not to bad. annoying trying to find things in the folders but overall it's ok.
              but i might think differently if this was my main computer.
              Good morning, son
              In twenty years from now
              Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
              And I can tell you 'bout today
              And how I picked you up and everything changed
              It was pain
              Sunny days and rain
              I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aimster View Post
                Vista already loaded onto a new computer is actually fine. My laptop came preloaded with Vista Home Premium and it's fine. It's a memory hog (big surprise), but I recently upgraded to 2GB of RAM in the laptop and noticed a considerable difference. It's upgrading from XP to Vista that's been seeing all sorts of problems. As a result, I'm keeping XP on the desktop PC.
                This is exactly our experience. The few of our crew that have upgraded old machines to Vista have some complaints and a few have downgraded because certain driver issues could not be resolved.

But our 8 new machines that came with Vista Home Premium pre-loaded...even the employees that were worried sick about them now admit no problems and they actually love 'em.

My honey got a Vista Home Premium laptop for Xmas with 1.86 duel core processor and 2GB of RAM...and she loves it and likes it better than her old XP machine. All software for peripherals has loaded no problem. The thing is actually extremely stable, IMHO.

I'm still with XP myself and was avoiding Vista like the plague because of all the stories I was hearing about upgrading to Vista. But when it comes time for a new laptop...as long as its got the recommended processor and RAM, or better...I'm going with Vista.

Despite what those funny Mac ads like to convey...almost everywhere I go, folks seem to love their new Vista machines. At least the ones that bought adequate enough machines for the OS.
                Last edited by Opus1guy; 02-05-2008, 11:26 PM.

Comment

Here's a good tip. We've been disabling "Aero" (that glassy look) on our Vista machines at work and they speed up nicely. Other than that, I really like Vista. Heck, I even like Aero, but it is such a memory hog.
                  MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

Comment

Having and using Vista is not a problem. Buying all new software is.

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessY View Post
                      Having and using Vista is not a problem. Buying all new software is.
                      What software do you have that won't run on Vista?

sigpic

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

Comment

All of my MS Office is for Windows XP, not Vista.

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessY View Post
                          All of my MS Office is for Windows XP, not Vista.
                          Ummm... All these versions are certified by Microsoft to run on Vista:

•Microsoft Office Ultimate 2007
                          •Microsoft Office Small Business 2007
                          •Microsoft Office Standard 2007
                          •Microsoft Office Professional 2007
                          •Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2007
                          •Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007
                          •Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007
                          •Microsoft Office Basic 2007
                          •Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003
                          •Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003
                          •Microsoft Office Student and Teacher Edition 2003
                          •Microsoft Office Small Business Edition 2003
                          •Microsoft Office Basic Edition 2003
                          •Microsoft Office XP Professional Edition
                          •Microsoft Office XP Small Business Edition
                          •Microsoft Office XP Standard Edition
                          •Microsoft Office XP Standard Edition for Students and Teachers
                          •Microsoft Office 2000 Premium Edition
                          •Microsoft Office 2000 Professional Edition
                          •Microsoft Office 2000 Standard Edition
                          •Microsoft Office 2000 Small Business Edition

My wife runs Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 on her Vista laptop because it's what she bought back when she had an XP machine. It runs great.

Was it a salesperson that told you you needed a new version of Office?

sigpic

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

Comment

Really??!! Well, that is good news! And makes a world of difference! I just assumed that the box it came in that said "For Windows XP", was for only XP, versus the box that said "For Vista". How else am I supposed to differentiate between the two?

Comment

XP will probably be ok after a couple service packs, the first is due in March, so by summer/fall #2 should be out and then I can actually use my upgrade disks
                              ďAny sequel three or higher..... around number five they get a new cast, thatís when the magic really happens": Modern Family

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X