Hi MiceChat Colleagues,

Thank you and Suspend Your Dis-Belief,

Geren
  • aashee
    Skeevy Ray Vaughan
    • Aug 2006

Re: Knott's Touring Plans

Hmmm,

Depends on if you are going on a weekday and what rides you like. I prefer the nostalgic part of the park, not the roller coasters. If you like the coasters, do those right away. Log ride is good to ride in the first 2 hours and it's right next to the calico mine train. I really like the Stunt Show and the kids area is worth a walk through, but not much to do if you don't have kids. I'd see a show in the Charles Schultz theater if there's one going.

Have fun!!

Comment

• gpiltz
      Citizen of EPCOT
      • Feb 2009

Thanks Aashee, that's great advice, and a good place to get started. I think I will start in the back with the big coasters, then work my way toward Calico. I'm still solidifiying whether my one day at the park will be a Sunday or a Monday. Being a Disneylander at heart, I definitely want to take some time to enjoy the history and themeing. I have to admit, the last time I was at Knott's, Kingdom of the Dinosaurs was still around. I do miss that, and Bear-y Tales!

Geren

Comment

• aashee
        Skeevy Ray Vaughan
        • Aug 2006

Oh good, a fellow old school Knott's fan! To be honest, 2 days probably isn't needed. Make sure you spend at least an hour in Ghost town. A lot of the coasters aren't even worth it like Boomerang and Pony express.

Comment

• gpiltz
          Citizen of EPCOT
          • Feb 2009

Plus, if I really want a coaster fix, I do live just up in Santa Barbara, and Magic Mountain is only an hour away. I just thought it would be fun to drive down, stay overnight, hit Knott's early and spend the day soaking it in for a change of pace. I love Disneyland, but I could use a break and a solo day at Knott's sounds fun. My close proximity is why the specific day is up in the air.

Any recommended foods? I may have to have some of the new-fangeled berry punch, but will avoid the chocolate bacon funnel cake!

Geren

Comment

• aashee
            Skeevy Ray Vaughan
            • Aug 2006

Only drink the Boysenberry punch, that's a rule. The one food I really like in the park is a fry stand by Montezoomas & Supreme Scream that has garlic fries and blue cheese fries. It's damn good. Of course I always make it to Mrs. Knott's chicken house for dinner, that's great eats. They also opened a Pink's hot dogs outside of the park that is good for lunch.

Comment

• gpiltz
              Citizen of EPCOT
              • Feb 2009

Yum, sounds tasty. Yeah, the restaurant is definitely a tradition, and it always suprises me how good it actually is. I recall reading about the "berry" concentrate versus boysenberry punch, so I'll be cautious of that. Garlic or Blue Cheese fries do sound awfully tempting, so I'll put them on my list.

How does Mystery Lodge hold up after all these years?

Comment

• aashee
                Skeevy Ray Vaughan
                • Aug 2006

I still really like mystery lodge. It now plays every hour, not continuously so plan accordingly. If nothing else it's a cool room where you can sit down for 20 minutes....Win/win!

Comment

• gpiltz
                  Citizen of EPCOT
                  • Feb 2009

Sounds good to me. Hey, I appreciate your kind advice. I have to head off to a meeting now (work, sheesh. MiceChat is much more productive!), but thank you for taking the time to reply to my thread. Let me know if you can think of any other not-to-miss treasures that have come to be in the last 15 years or so.

Cheers,

Geren

Comment

• aashee
                    Skeevy Ray Vaughan
                    • Aug 2006

You got it pal.....take it easy.

Comment

• Ranger Rick
                      Ok time for cocoa
                      • Dec 2005

Go Sunday, on Monday the back half opens an hour later.
                      Originally posted by lazyboy97O
                      How is a state religion bad, but state medicine good?
                      Originally posted by steamboatpete
                      Anyone who makes the decision to depend upon the government to take care of their basic needs has essentially doomed himself to a life of bitter disappointment.

Comment

• gpiltz
                        Citizen of EPCOT
                        • Feb 2009

Thanks, Rick. That's great advice, and I never would have thought of it otherwise.

Comment

• lynxwiler
                          MiceChatter
                          • Feb 2006

Comment

• gpiltz
                            Citizen of EPCOT
                            • Feb 2009

Thanks, Eric! How cool to have you respond to my posting. You're the real deal sir, but I knew that after I picked up a copy of Your and Chris' book, which I have savored! I'm looking forward to taking some time to really soak it all in. I was glad to see such great coverage of the book signing event, so I feel like I was there!

I'll drink a glass of boysenberry punch and have a slice of pie in your honor.

Warmly,

Geren

Comment

• lynxwiler
                              MiceChatter
                              • Feb 2006

Thanks Geren! You rock! I'm glad you've got the Knott's Preserved book on hand to help guide your park visit. Take lots of pictures and please do share your trip review with us.

Boysenberry pie (mmmm, nice). If you're outside the park, pop into the Bakery in the California Marketplace. The chocolate chip cookies are fantastic and only cost $1.50. To be quite honest, I sometimes make the drive to Knott's just to walk the park and have those chocolate chip cookies.

I remembered one more thing that may interest you. Before there was a Ghost Town, Walter Knott built a few little amusements and vignettes for the folks waiting to eat at the Chicken Dinner Restaurant. Many of those little are gone, but a few remain tucked behind the Farm Market: the old mill wheel, George Washington's fireplace, and the fern grotto/rock garden. All date to the 1930s and have been encroached by the stores of the California Marketplace, but thankfully they are still there.

Comment

• gpiltz
                                Citizen of EPCOT
                                • Feb 2009

Wow, Eric, I'm getting more and more enthused about my trip to the farm. I definitely remember all three of those attractions. I actually enjoy learning on my vacations, so these have definitely stayed in my mind.

It's funny, but while I enjoy my annual trip to Disneyland, I haven't felt giddy in the same way as I'm starting to with Knott's. I think that seeing the sepia toned photo of my son in the handcar ride and on the lake cruise brought the memories flooding back. I'm even glad that Rocko the Triceratops is still hiding in Camp Snoopy.

Quick question - I found the location of the Dreger Clock, now near I-5 and the Chamber of Commerce. I heard that there was a statue somwhere on Beach Boulevard of the Little Devil from the Volcano. Any direction you can give me on that?

Of course, I will spend some quality time in Indendence Hall; wouldn't want to miss it. I never got to go to EPCOT Center in its heyday, so this was my American Adventure.

Cheers,

Geren

Comment

• lynxwiler
                                  MiceChatter
                                  • Feb 2006

Are you referring to the Huff N' Puff handcar ride in Camp Snoopy? That low-tech charmer is thankfully still in Camp Snoopy to this day. My baby brother was photographed in it decades ago and recently recreated the photo for my mom by squeezing into one of those kiddie cars. It brought a tear to her eye. Beyond the Huff N' Puff though, Camp Snoopy has changed quite a bit so be prepared to discover that not only is the Cordelia K cruise boat gone, so is the lake she sailed on.

I'm glad you found the Dregger Clock. As you know, it stands just a few feet off Beach Boulevard, in the garden beside the Chamber of Commerce and the Buena Park Historical Society. You won't miss it.
                                  Buena Park Historical Society

As for that famous little devil, I haven't heard anything about a tribute sculpture. The original is lost, sad to say; he disappeared during the construction of Ghost Rider. A devil tribute statue on Beach? Whatever you've heard, I want to know. I can imagine something like a spray-art homage, a la Banksy or something. In fact, not that I've got such a graffiti/renegade-style image in my head, I really want to see that happen!

Believe it or not, the multi-stereo-track recreating the signing of the Declaration of Independence is still played at Independence Hall. Even the glowing quills are still there. Just ask the nearby gift shop attendant to push the show's start button so you can see it for yourself, still the same as it was in 1966.

You are going to have a blast,
                                  Eric

Comment

• gpiltz
                                    Citizen of EPCOT
                                    • Feb 2009

Yeah, Huff ‘n Puff! I event toyed with finding a cheap used model of that ride from Sellner Manufacturing (http://www.whirlin.com/kiddie_rides.html) and petitioning our community to put one in the local park! Love the story about your brother, thanks for sharing that very special moment. I’ll have to dig out some more of those old photos and share them here.

It’s refreshing to still have Knott’s as a place that is not apologetic for its past, politically correct or not. I’ll definitely make sure to watch the show, and I remember that from years back, too. Glad to hear they did not guild the lily and update the attraction with interactive video screens!

I agree that an artistic urban tribute to our little red devil friend would be something nice to add somewhere on the Knott’s property, or even Buena Park in general. Truthfully, it would be wonderful to at least have the little fellah around, hiding somewhere in Calico.

I’m driving myself crazy trying to find where I read the note about a tiny red devil statue, so maybe I’m just losing my head. I’ll keep an eye out and post as soon as I find anything. I swear I read that, or at least misinterpreted it somewhere.

Thanks,

Geren

Comment

• gpiltz
                                      Citizen of EPCOT
                                      • Feb 2009

Ok, folks, so I've organized a list of attractions I want to hit on April 17th. The coasters are set up in the order I perceive they need to be ridden due to crowds based on guidebook and internet research. The rest of the attractions are by preference, in case I run out of time. Oh, and I don't do flat rides-even high quality ones, so no need to suggest those. What I'd give for an unofficial guide touring plan right about now! I'm glad to solicit any feedback that you wish to offer.

Suspend your Dis-Belief,

Geren

Coasters (Ride order by popularity):
                                      GhostRider
                                      Silver Bullet
                                      Xcelerator
                                      Boomerang
                                      Pony Express
                                      Jaguar!
                                      Montezooma’s Revenge
                                      Sierra Sidewinder

Family Rides (Preference):
                                      Calico Mine Ride
                                      Butterfield Stagecoach
                                      Calico Railroad
                                      Sky Cabin
                                      Grand Sierra Railroad
                                      High Sierra Ferris Wheel

Water Rides (Preference):
                                      Timber Mountain Log Ride
                                      Bigfoot Rapids
                                      Perilous Plunge

Shows (Preference):
                                      Mystery Lodge
                                      Knott's Fool's Gold Stunt Show
                                      Calico Saloon

Comment

• aashee
                                        Skeevy Ray Vaughan
                                        • Aug 2006

Originally posted by gpiltz View Post
                                        Ok, folks, so I've organized a list of attractions I want to hit on April 17th. The coasters are set up in the order I perceive they need to be ridden due to crowds based on guidebook and internet research. The rest of the attractions are by preference, in case I run out of time. Oh, and I don't do flat rides-even high quality ones, so no need to suggest those. What I'd give for an unofficial guide touring plan right about now! I'm glad to solicit any feedback that you wish to offer.

Suspend your Dis-Belief,

Geren

Coasters (Ride order by popularity):
                                        GhostRider - Good but rough
                                        Silver Bullet - Good ride
                                        Xcelerator - Great thrills
                                        Boomerang - meh, average
                                        Pony Express - pretty bad ride
                                        Jaguar! - boring, boring
                                        Montezooma’s Revenge - still a good ride
                                        Sierra Sidewinder - worth going on, get busy later

Family Rides (Preference):
                                        Calico Mine Ride - 100% must
                                        Butterfield Stagecoach - Wonderful ride
                                        Calico Railroad - another winner
                                        Sky Cabin - great for a view, that's it
                                        Grand Sierra Railroad - cute ride
                                        High Sierra Ferris Wheel - only if you like ferris wheels

Water Rides (Preference):
                                        Timber Mountain Log Ride - 100% must
                                        Bigfoot Rapids - if you don't mind getting wet, fun ride
                                        Perilous Plunge - SOAKED, be prepared

Shows (Preference):
                                        Mystery Lodge - Love this one, shows alomst every hours
                                        Knott's Fool's Gold Stunt Show - another must, get there ealry and sit in the middle if possible
                                        Calico Saloon - fun atmosphere
                                        My thoughts in the quote after each ride.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X