Announcement

Collapse

Your Assistance Please

We need your help to battle spammers and also to keep our community user friendly.
PLEASE BE KIND TO OTHERS - Refrain from personal attacks. Avoid politics and harsh language whenever possible. If someone is violating our simple rules, DO NOT confront them, simply report the post.
STOP SPAMMERS - Report the post. DO NOT respond to them.

2017 is a year of renewal for us, we have lots of exciting changes on the way for you, but we don't have time to deal with trolls and spammers. If you find yourself suspended and need to plead your case, you will need to do so after your suspension. We are happy to address your concerns if you made a simple mistake. However, please note that those with a history of bad behavior and pushing our rules to the limit will not be given the courtesy of a reply.

MiceChat offers a number of ways for you to communicate and get involved. We offer Facebook Groups and Pages, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest accounts. We have a front page filled with amazing content. We offer weekly meetups in the parks. Meets and events all over the world. Podcasts and videos. And we continue to maintain forums for your posting convenience. But with all those options, we can't be everywhere all the time. We need YOUR help. Please don't poke the trolls. Report posts and leave reputation. We'll do our best to keep the forums clean and active, but we can't do so without your help.

Thank you for your support folks, it's going to be a really fantastic year in the MiceChat world.
See more
See less

The illuminated "K" in logo script atop the Sky Tower, Who & When made it a Landmark?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The illuminated "K" in logo script atop the Sky Tower, Who & When made it a Landmark?

Just wondering, The illuminated "K" is a Landmark for Knott's But could it be placed on Supreme Scream or a new Ride. I like seeing it from the freeway and would miss it if they had to take it down. I just couldn't find any official record designating it as a official landmark.
    Visit me at: Gabriel Felton

I've often thought about this, but have not been able to come up with any actual answer as to who designated it a landmark. Just about everything I've found online has been copied from the Wikipeda page. It's worded in a way that makes it sound like someone other than Knott's made it a landmark, because it "prevented" them from using the area for Windseeker. However I don't even know how true that is.

Hopefully someone comes along and is able to shed some light.

Comment

Are we even sure it has been designated a landmark? I can't find any reference to it on the National Register of Historic Places or the California Office of Historic Preservation.
      "In Hell, everybody loves popcorn."

Comment

Originally posted by deadwinterskies View Post
        Are we even sure it has been designated a landmark? I can't find any reference to it on the National Register of Historic Places or the California Office of Historic Preservation.
        That is my question as well. I took a look at the National Register, and nothing came up. It could have been misinformation that spread from Wikipedia.

Comment

If I remember correctly when wind seeker was still in the planning stages it was decided it would go where sky cabin was which would have the old tower removed and a taller tower replace it. People didn't like the idea of removing the K tower and had a petition to make the K tower a historical landmark. That may be when it Happened

Comment

Originally posted by explodingboy View Post
            That is my question as well. I took a look at the National Register, and nothing came up. It could have been misinformation that spread from Wikipedia.
            It's probably more poor wording than misinformation and the author meant it was a landmark within the context of the park and not that it was an officially designated one.

Comment

Originally posted by Pixtopher View Post
              People didn't like the idea of removing the K tower and had a petition to make the K tower a historical landmark. That may be when it Happened
              But if it was designated a historical landmark there would be a record of that. It could be that a petition got started but before they gathered the necessary number of signatures Knotts acquiesced to public pressure and the petition was abandoned.

Comment

Originally posted by deadwinterskies View Post

It's probably more poor wording than misinformation and the author meant it was a landmark within the context of the park and not that it was an officially designated one.
                Yeah, you're probably right!

Comment

This article from the time of the Windseeker construction states that they simply changed their mind since the Sky Tower is an older ride with a following.

http://www.themeparktourist.com/news...cabin-reprieve

Comment

i was told its a ffa land mark for the planes the whole tower is a land mark

Comment

Chiming in with the sad news — the tower and its non-functioning neon K are not officially landmarked or protected in any way. That giant K is iconic and a huge roadside attraction, but there are no city, state or federal regulations protecting the tower or its neon K from demolition. ...But there should be!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X