Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TFN5459
    started a topic Possible Riptide/Boomerang Successor(s)

Possible Riptide/Boomerang Successor(s)

With Riptide now long gone and Boomerang on it's way out, it seems like Knott's is opening up a fairly large albeit narrow stretch of line along the Boardwalk area. What does everyone think they will do with this land, whether it be attractions, shops, or dining locations. It seems this is "Phase II" of the revamp of the Boardwalk area, which started a few years ago with the addition of Coast Rider, Pacific Scrambler, and Surfside Glider across the way replacing Perilous Plunge. Sources indicate that Knott's could be sticking in another "big thrill" coaster, but I'd like to think that they are going to continue with their theme of introducing more family rides. They still have Montezooma, Silver Bullet, Xcelerator, and Ghost Rider as large big scale coasters in the park even in the absence of Boomerang.

Personally, I'd like to see them stick in a new dining location and some smaller family rides to fill in the area and complete the revamped Boardwalk theme in that locale. While I'd like there to be some themed rides like Calico Mine and Timber Mountain, I think small amusement park style rides work are authentic to boardwalks (think Paradise Pier, plain and generic but actually authentically well "themed" to unthemed seaside amusement rides).

• JesterMn
    replied
    At Worlds of Fun, they have an indoor Wipeout/Trabant themed to Cyclone Sams, with a pseudo-Twister theme. That kinda put a fun spin on it. It was cool being so close to the ceiling, lol.

Leave a comment:

• TFN5459
    replied
    Originally posted by BogLurch View Post

Ah, Whirlpool... most basic and seminal of flat rides, given a light show and Art of Noise soundtrack... I miss that one.
    I didn't know about Whirlpool until I looked it up. Wipeout at the Santa Cruz Boardwalk is essentially the same idea, but with a Surf/Techno theme and a Huss breakdance style ride instead of a scrambler ride. I mean it's a simple ride but those simple "dark ride" elements make all the difference in my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• BogLurch
    replied
    Originally posted by TFN5459 View Post

I'd like to see immersive theme even if it's just placed on an off the shelf ride. It's possible to combine thrill and theme as Space Mountain Mission 2 and Knott's very own Timber Mountain Log Ride have proved: you can have a thrill ride with immersive story elements involved. Even rides like Wipeout from the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk are just a flat ride, in this case a Huss Breakdance 4 type ride, but put it in the dark with music and lights set to a surf disco theme and it makes the ride that much better. Another good example would be the original Tomb Raider ride which featured a Top Spin like Riptide but in a fully themed and immersive environment.
    Ah, Whirlpool... most basic and seminal of flat rides, given a light show and Art of Noise soundtrack... I miss that one.

Leave a comment:

• TFN5459
    replied
    Originally posted by BogLurch View Post

Why settle for a honkin' huge coaster?

I can't find the articles now, but I remember there being something of a flap over Xcelerator's height during the build process. Buena Park may not be willing to sign off on 300'+ structures for KBF.

If Cedar Fair wants to play in the market on a larger scale, rather than chasing Premier's diminishing returns they could broaden their tech base with a less thrill based but more entertaining ride. Indoor Wild Mouse a la Exterminator out in Kennywood. Escape from Pompeii style hybrid water attraction. Augmented reality walk through. There are a ton of options that aren't as experimental and prone to longterm maintenance issues, and it's been since... well, Iron Reef might count but I'd say since Mystery Lodge that they REALLY tried to push for something new.
    I'd like to see immersive theme even if it's just placed on an off the shelf ride. It's possible to combine thrill and theme as Space Mountain Mission 2 and Knott's very own Timber Mountain Log Ride have proved: you can have a thrill ride with immersive story elements involved. Even rides like Wipeout from the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk are just a flat ride, in this case a Huss Breakdance 4 type ride, but put it in the dark with music and lights set to a surf disco theme and it makes the ride that much better. Another good example would be the original Tomb Raider ride which featured a Top Spin like Riptide but in a fully themed and immersive environment.

Leave a comment:

• BogLurch
    replied
    Originally posted by deadwinterskies View Post

Why settle for a hypercoaster? Building a gigacoaster (or better yet a stratacoaster) would put them on the roller coaster map and make Knott's a must-visit for every serious coaster enthusiast. There's only a handful in the world and it would be the only one on the west coast. Cedar Fair already has a couple in Cedar Point and would probably love to put build one right in the backyard of their biggest rival (SFMM).
    Why settle for a honkin' huge coaster?

I can't find the articles now, but I remember there being something of a flap over Xcelerator's height during the build process. Buena Park may not be willing to sign off on 300'+ structures for KBF.

If Cedar Fair wants to play in the market on a larger scale, rather than chasing Premier's diminishing returns they could broaden their tech base with a less thrill based but more entertaining ride. Indoor Wild Mouse a la Exterminator out in Kennywood. Escape from Pompeii style hybrid water attraction. Augmented reality walk through. There are a ton of options that aren't as experimental and prone to longterm maintenance issues, and it's been since... well, Iron Reef might count but I'd say since Mystery Lodge that they REALLY tried to push for something new.

Leave a comment:

• deadwinterskies
    replied
    Originally posted by JesterMn View Post
    Many are hoping for a hyper, but I personally don't see that in the cards.
    Why settle for a hypercoaster? Building a gigacoaster (or better yet a stratacoaster) would put them on the roller coaster map and make Knott's a must-visit for every serious coaster enthusiast. There's only a handful in the world and it would be the only one on the west coast. Cedar Fair already has a couple in Cedar Point and would probably love to put build one right in the backyard of their biggest rival (SFMM).

Leave a comment:

• JesterMn
    replied
    With so much space opening up in a park that's generally lacking it, they're going to (rightly) take advantage of it. It'll definitely be a significant coaster. Whether that means a significant family style coaster (ala Jaguar), or a major thrill machine (latest rumors are leaning towards a Dive machine or a Gerstlaur) remains to be seen. Many are hoping for a hyper, but I personally don't see that in the cards.

Leave a comment:

• BogLurch
    replied
    I keep hoping they'll put it something themed to the area. Maybe an indoor thrill type ride - the combination simulator/screen ride is all the rage, they could come up with something Steampunky to go with Iron Reef across the way.

Leave a comment:

• deadwinterskies
    replied
    I'm assuming it's going to be another big coaster.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X