Announcement

Collapse

MiceChat Rules

A list of MiceChat's rules can be found at the top of the Disneyland forum.
See more
See less

What happened to Knotts? (poor shape)

Collapse

Header Ad

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to Knotts? (poor shape)

I just went to Knotts yesterday for the first time in a few years. I do not understand the praise it gets on here. The Iron Reef, Log Ride, and Calico Mine are all great rides. However, the park is so run down and dirty. It was in incredibly poor shape and areas looked like they hadn't been clean in years. Employees were not nearly as friendly amd helpful as my last visit. Also the crowd consisted of what looked like exconvicts and high school kids trying to be funny by screaming out on every ride. Tons of ride queues were in the sun.

The theming is incohesive and is a jumbled mess. Xcellerator and Montezumas Revenge were down for long maintenance (months according to employees) despite the website saying everything was open. The PA systems on multiple rides were broken and sounded weird and screechy. The app didnt show wait times until 3 Hours after the park was open.

I used to work at Six Flags MM and have been to Knotts quite a few times and I have never seen it in such poor shape. It reminded me of Six Flags with how poorly maintained it was and the amount of exconvicts im attendance. I last went to Knotts in 2015 and it seemed to be upkept much better and was clean and had a much better crowd.

What happened? Is Knotts currently facing major budget cuts?

Not my experience at all. Wasn't run down and dirty to me. The crowd does skew pre-teen, but if you ask me, that's their target audience... kids that have "outgrown" Disney and looking for more thrilling rides, but not quite ready for the intense thrills at SFMM. Some obnoxiousness does come with that territory. But I've never noticed the "ex-convict" crowd.

And really, you found the theming an incohesive and jumbled mess? Ghost Town is arguably better done than Frontierland, and is created from actual historical buildings. How much more theming do you want? The only thing to me that could be found as incohesive is the small patch of lingering Roaring 20's theme... but for the most part (though admittedly not all), it blends into the Boardwalk.

I will agree with you it's bad if the website didn't list Xecellerator and Montezuma as down. I didn't know about the latter, but the former has been down unexpectedly for a few weeks with no formal opening date given, so it's suspected it hit a major mechanical snag that'll take a while to fix.

And I will also agree that their app is terrible, and the wait times terribly inaccurate if they work at all. I just gave up and deleted the app.

On the plus side, I am totally in love with their new unlimited drink refill program (where you don't have to lug a souvenir cup around). Especially at Knott's, when it includes the Boysenberry punch. I have totally gotten my monies worth for that.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

Comment

I've spent three and a half days at Knotts this past week. Xcellerator is down because they are building up a haunt attraction underneath it They can't operate it until the attraction is finished and the carpenters, electricians and other staff have finished the job. As far as Montezooma, yes it has been down. I do know that they are working on it, but it's a forty plus year old ride that uses a drive that gave them issues when it was new. My wife and I have found all the employees that we interacted with to extremely helpful and polite, from the resort hotel staff, the gate personnel , ride hosts, food and drink and sweeps. We were there last weekend , as well as for a few hours today, had a very enjoyable experience the entire time we were there.

Comment

I don't believe the haunt constructions has anything to do with Xcellerator being down. Xcellerator usually runs during Haunt, and the maze is to the side of it, not literally underneath it. It's a separate issue... latest rumor may be that the cable needs replacing, which is a pretty big order.
        Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

Comment

I went June 18th. It all looked fine to me. Of course ... there could have been a corner here or there I missed .. that could use some attention. But considering how many things have been under renovation and finished between 2013 and 2016 ... perhaps it's a matter of time .. those areas looking a bit grotty do get some attention soon. Of course ... Half the boardwalk is shut .. due for something soon. Other than that ... I was enjoying the fresh renovations of all sorts of things from Ghost Rider to Ghost Town, to Calico Mine Train, and so much more.
          MY SIGNATURE:
          Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

Originally posted by JesterMn View Post
            Not my experience at all. Wasn't run down and dirty to me. The crowd does skew pre-teen, but if you ask me, that's their target audience... kids that have "outgrown" Disney and looking for more thrilling rides, but not quite ready for the intense thrills at SFMM. Some obnoxiousness does come with that territory. But I've never noticed the "ex-convict" crowd.

And really, you found the theming an incohesive and jumbled mess? Ghost Town is arguably better done than Frontierland, and is created from actual historical buildings. How much more theming do you want? The only thing to me that could be found as incohesive is the small patch of lingering Roaring 20's theme... but for the most part (though admittedly not all), it blends into the Boardwalk.

I will agree with you it's bad if the website didn't list Xecellerator and Montezuma as down. I didn't know about the latter, but the former has been down unexpectedly for a few weeks with no formal opening date given, so it's suspected it hit a major mechanical snag that'll take a while to fix.

And I will also agree that their app is terrible, and the wait times terribly inaccurate if they work at all. I just gave up and deleted the app.

On the plus side, I am totally in love with their new unlimited drink refill program (where you don't have to lug a souvenir cup around). Especially at Knott's, when it includes the Boysenberry punch. I have totally gotten my monies worth for that.
            The temple and entire queue/ride building for Jaguar was filthy on the inside as were the vehicles. It was really dirty, especially the loading area. The bottom floor of the Ghost Rider Queue was also incredibly filthy. The Mountain Log Ride queue was also dirty. The Calico mine train was ran down and in poor condition/dirty/worn on the inside (not the queue itself but the actual ride).

The guests really were mostly high schoolers as well as a "thug" kind of crowd (aka pants down, gang T-Shirts etc). There was constantly cussing going on and people screaming things out on the ride to be funny (which I won't repeat here). Of course usually this can happen one time or so at any theme park, but this was the case for EACH ride we went on. It was hardly a relaxing time. The people just weren't as well behaved as Disney, even the families. People will down talk the behavior of Disney SoCal APs, but they look like saints in comparison to the Knotts crowd I experienced last Friday.

In addition to this, they had major ride closures that were not publicly posted. We don't not have a great time although we did have fun. The park was in much better shape when I visited in 2015 and was cleaner and had better people there.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X