No announcement yet.

The Future of Knott's

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Future of Knott's

I know that it's a bit strange to speculate about future years when a big new attraction is set to open this year. It is, however, only two years until Knott's centennial.

2019 probably isn't likely to see massive capital expenditures, but perhaps putting some money into overhauling a major attraction would make sense. A few months ago, there was a rumor about a retheme of Bigfoot Rapids into a flooded mining settlement. I could see this being done as former Disney Imagine Eddie Sotto had a plan for a higly themed Knott's rapid ride which would have been called Flash Flood Rapids. I could also see adding some Garner Holt animatronics as part of the retheme.

2020- In addition to what I'm sure will be a year long celebration, I can see a major new ride being added. Personally, I'd like to see a dark ride in Ghost Town with a haunted theme. A good place for it in the existing park footprint is the former steakhouse/ pizza place/ Spurs, which is quite large and Is lightly used except for special events. I would keep Ghost Town Grill, the peek-ins, Ghost Town Bakery and the gun/ knife shop which are all attached to this massive building intact.

What do you think?

This is one park that has withstood the test of time. Anyone can remember the tales of founder Walter Knott being among the guests at Disneyland's Opening Day ceremonies back in 1955, then returning to his theme park to find it filled to capacity. At least that's whats been said in the past. Its kinda funny, I was just looking at Six Flags Magic Mountain last night, taking a trip down memory lane. I was born & raised in Southern California, spending more than half of my life in Orange County. The last time that I went to SFMM was in the early 80s, like 83 or 84. And its missing a few staples that were there when the park opened. Why am I talking about them in a Knotts thread? Because the staples that SFMM no longer has, Knott's Berry Farm still has and they don't look like they're intending on getting rid of. Which attests to my earlier point, of withstanding the test of time. Its good to know that with all of the newer thrills that are being brought to the park, ones that have come and gone, that they still have rides like the Calico Mine Ride, the stage coach, and the Log Ride. Even little elements like the Huff & Puff and the Grand Sierra Railroad in Camp Snoopy. I used to work at the park, and even before then, before getting an annual pass to Disneyland, my family would get them for Knott's. This was before Ghost Rider, while rides like the Corkscrew, the Sky Jump, Soap Box Racers, & Kingdom of the Dinosaurs were still around. Ahh memories.

But to answer your question, yes I think Bigfoot Rapids should get a re-theme. There were days when interest in dinosaurs were big in the states. That's what spurred Kingdom of the Dinosaurs and the first Jurassic Park film. We also had a big boom in Bigfoot research, so that's what spurred the rapid ride which is surprisingly still there. Likely because of the demand of a water ride with a high degree of soaked riders for the summer heat. Log Ride is good for the sentimental value, but it doesn't get you as wet as BR, unless the big refurb a few years ago changed that. I'm not so sure with the adding a dark ride to Ghost Town. Its great that Ghost Rider is still there, but it was the first themed area for the park. And in my opinion, you don't want to add too much to crowd the area. Its nice to be able to walk around GT and browse the shops if you're into that. Which brings a question to mind. Do they still have the crafts fair in Ghost Town during Christmas?

"Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney