Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jcruise86 View Post
    Well, how was it? Anyone?
    (Answering myself.) Some Micechatters LOVED it.

I look forward to seeing it on Saturday, unless we're too tired.

Check out the best trip report (with reactions to this show) that I think I've ever seen/read in the brief history of the internet!

https://www.micechat.com/237187-brav...ary-farm-2019/

Comment

We saw PUPPET UP! last night at the second of the three shows, sitting a few seats away from Brian Henson who also appeared in the show.

If I had seen this at Second City, the Groundlings or UCB, I would've been impressed by what an original, well-produced and funny improv show it was,
      and I would have been happy to have paid to see it by itself!

I hope it's back at Scary Farm for the next few years, but I also hope they do a different song near the end of the show of the different shows and on different nights. They did "Wendy" at ours, but if they did a different song and did something other than the excellent, naked puppetry sketch, then I would have liked to have seen second performance last night. With the improv, this is a show I could watch over and over, unlike The Hanging.

Maybe they could make a little more Halloweeny. Ditto for Jabbawockeez--Universal's only show at Hollywood Horror Nights.
      IT'S A HALLOWEEN EVENT. Don't ignore the darkness & traditions of the holiday.

One more suggestion--have a couple of costumed characters go through he audience and appear on stage the way it was done at Disney's 3D Muppet movie in the parks, or better yet as was done in DCA's Aladdin show, but of course a Halloween show wouldn't have to be THAT elaborate. (BIG elephants and flying carpets.) Puppets are little and just projecting them on big screens isn't enough of a big budget extravaganza. Maybe giant puppet dancers on stage? Fog, lasers, and more creative uses of music with muppets?

I hope they keep up the quality of PUPPET UP.
      I remember seeing an outstanding Ed Alonzo one year, then the next year I thought he'd phoned it it with a bad connection,
      and (thankfully) he didn't return the next year. Tough business.
      Last edited by jcruise86; 09-23-2019, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jcruise86 View Post
        I hope it's back at Scary Farm for the next few years, but I also hope they do a different song near the end of the show of the different shows and on different nights. They did "Wendy" at ours, but if they did a different song and did something other than the excellent, naked puppetry sketch, then I would have liked to have seen second performance last night.
        I saw the second show on 9/26 and those two parts were both in it. It looks like they have standard pieces with improv interspersed so the show has a generally predictable shape with the improv giving it variability, rather than a completely improvised performance for every show.

Have to say that although I laughed I don't think it satisfied me as a Haunt show. They did a spoof of 50s monster movies (I assume they did the same improv exercise at your show, our movie was "It Came From Disneyland") but I wish they'd slanted more of the show with horror or monster themes. Jim Henson seemed to have a great affection for monster Muppets so you'd think it would have rubbed off on his son. Other improvs involved downhill skiing, a song about a member of the audience, and a Starbucks job interview -- not exactly Haunt topics.

I bought the Haunt season pass so I may see it again if I have time, but it's not a priority.

Brian Henson was not there. What did he do in your show?
        Last edited by bigcatrik; 09-27-2019, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Word on the street says this puppet show is not meeting guests expectations. But no surprise there!

Perhaps Knott's will (finally) learn that a lavish Halloween stage show belongs in the CMS Theatre during "haunt" season.

DISNEYLAND IS YOUR LAND

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyFunGuy View Post
            Word on the street says
            I saw it again Sunday night and there's no doubt it's a funny show and the "uncensored" part certainly applies since the audience has been coming up with suggestions available only at your local ConRev, but I still wonder what the thought process of bringing the show to *this* event was, and whether there was any discussion of taking it in a Halloween direction.

If they'd asked me [and why didn't they?!? ;-)] they could have had a simple castle backdrop, the host could be dressed like Dracula (he's already in formal clothes), the puppets could be an assortment of monsters and regular puppets with costumes on, and it would be called "Puppet Up! Uncensored Monsters on the Loose!" The improv exercises would be slanted towards horror themes and the audience would be encouraged to come up with scary or gory recommendations, instead of the by-now-tired sexual references (the host even says words to the effect of "we've heard everything, think of something else").

But maybe that would be too restricting and it was more a matter of simply booking that "hip and edgy" show (it's won accolades at fringe festivals worldwide and was a big hit at the Aspen Comedy Festival, FWIW) in that theater and being done with it. My attempts at improv classes never went that well so I know it's not necessarily an easy job under the best of circumstances.

Comment

I saw Puppet Up Saturday night and the show was fantastic. Really, really funny.

Comment

Looks like your word on the street is wrong. Maybe it’s just not your thing.
                https://m.facebook.com/KnottsScaryFarm/photos/a.
                115053671934695/2214098375363537/?type=3

Comment

Originally posted by Coaster53 View Post
                  Looks like your word on the street is wrong. Maybe it’s just not your thing.
                  https://m.facebook.com/KnottsScaryFarm/photos/a.
                  115053671934695/2214098375363537/?type=3
                  I thought it was very funny, too. But I also wish it was more Halloween themed. Great show, but not the best fit for the event.
                  Dumbo rats: the other lovable rodents.

Comment

Working...
                  X