Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knott's on pace for record attendance for 2019 as Disneyland attendance falls

Brady MacDonald at the Orange County Register reports that Knott's Berry Farm announced that it is on pace for record attendance during 2019.

This happens as Disneyland has reported a 3% drop in attendance during the year it has opened the new Star Wars Galaxy's Edge themed area and Millennium Falcon simulator ride.

Cedar Park also reported that Knott's had its best (highest grossing?) Halloween Haunt in 2019 as well.

The article states that Knott's had a great year in spite of low attendance at Disneyland, implying that record attendance from visitors to the Star Wars land would have driven up attendance at other local theme parks such as Knott's.

https://www.dailybreeze.com/2019/11/...-galaxys-edge/
    Despite of the debut of the Star Wars themed land at Disneyland, Knott’s Berry Farm is once again on pace to have a record attendance year.

I am no expert, but I believe that the locals are finally speaking with their wallets and are visiting KBF instead. I'm one of them. We just renewed our KBF passes for the second year in a row. My wife and daughter still have their DLR AP's, but I haven't since mine expired in 2017. I was at KBF this past Sunday and it was a zoo...holiday weekend though.
    Big Thunder Ranch > Galaxys Edge

Comment

When it costs 100 dollars to go every day of the year with no blackouts vs more than 100 for a single day, there's no reason to wonder why it's been packed. It's basically a low cost hangout for locals.
      Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

Comment

I feel next year 2020
        will be better during Knott's
        100th anniversary
        - Centennial .
        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by SpectroMan View Post
          When it costs 100 dollars to go every day of the year with no blackouts vs more than 100 for a single day, there's no reason to wonder why it's been packed. It's basically a low cost hangout for locals.
          Yes, a "hangout" for locals. Something which has been ruining the Disneyland experience for a long time.

Comment

What’s ruining the Disneyland experience is a management team endlessly making cuts to quality while gouging wallets like everyone is rich.

On the flip side .... Knott’s quality has been going up in recent years. And keeping it affordable for us middle class folks.
            MY SIGNATURE:
            Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

I had a Knott’s pass last year and stopped using after the summer. Namely because it just isn’t a great park; it still feels run-down in so many areas and second rate (except for Mrs. Knotts which is better than ever). I simply don’t see that much improvement that often read on MC (here and elsewhere). Then again, I don’t care for the Hillbillies or whatever they are called. I suspect it is less about praising Knott’s and more about criticizing Disney...

Comment

Originally posted by Jesser-pie View Post
                I had a Knott’s pass last year and stopped using after the summer. Namely because it just isn’t a great park; it still feels run-down in so many areas and second rate (except for Mrs. Knotts which is better than ever). I simply don’t see that much improvement that often read on MC (here and elsewhere). Then again, I don’t care for the Hillbillies or whatever they are called. I suspect it is less about praising Knott’s and more about criticizing Disney...
                I had the same thoughts when I made my first visit in 2008ish. But the park has completely 180'd and nearly refurbished every corner. I remember the Ghostrider queue and the Saloon just being ugly and dust-covered head to toe. I think the park has never looked better after redoing each building & all of their dark rides have been fixed up since. Knotts also has been embracing it's history & have been making tasteful additions. However, it is one of the parks I do not enjoy on a crowded day though with a lot of their rides being on the lower-capacity side. My last visit all we did was watch the Hillbillies & Silver Bullet as it was just too crowded for anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by BlAcKoUt510 View Post
                  I had the same thoughts when I made my first visit in 2008ish. But the park has completely 180'd and nearly refurbished every corner. I remember the Ghostrider queue and the Saloon just being ugly and dust-covered head to toe. I think the park has never looked better after redoing each building & all of their dark rides have been fixed up since. Knotts also has been embracing it's history & have been making tasteful additions. However, it is one of the parks I do not enjoy on a crowded day though with a lot of their rides being on the lower-capacity side. My last visit all we did was watch the Hillbillies & Silver Bullet as it was just too crowded for anything else.
                  I agree that Knott's is more about the atmosphere, the shows, attractions and the food and beer. I don't care for many of the rides, and some of the ones I do like often have a long line. Their version of a fastpass costs money, so that's not an option.

On the other hand, being able to experience great live music and entertainment, up close, makes up for a lot. As well as the wonderful seasonal offerings, especially the Boysenberry festival and Christmas time. And, considering how inexpensive a pass is, with no blackout dates, it's a really great value for us.

I can't speak for others on this board, but my being pro-Knott's is in no way being anti-Disney! They have their own respective strengths and weaknesses and, if either were to go away, I'd miss them terribly. In many ways, I wish that Knott's could be more like Disney, and Disney more Knott's. They can both profit from learning from each other. I hope they will, and I hope that fans like us keep pointing out ways that both parks can improve their offerings.
                  Dumbo rats: the other lovable rodents.

Comment

I got my criticisms of Knott’s too. It’s not some one sided smear of Disney. Knott’s Bear-Y Tails is going to be “Iron Reef with a bears” theme. The front area is a clash of modern roller coasters over the lower areas of “the old west”. Will they ever address that? Will Virginia’s Gift shop ever see one of a kind merchandise like it use to? I hate the Boardwalk area. So tacky looking. Still so much to do to bring old features back. And they still need to honor the Peanuts gang with their own dark ride. Since Bear-Y tales is going to be more over-sized projections than a proper dark ride ... that still leaves Knott’s without even one proper Dark Ride. (ie- Peanuts). HOWEVER..... they are making strides to improve the place. Even the Ghost Town Live in the summer blew my mind in 2017, and my partner who’s not a “Disney” fan like me put it ahead of Disney, as they do not do that kind of improve within the parks. For me Knott’s wins because they do not have a Top Heavy corporate feel .... that I get at Disney Parks. It’s all about heavy “marketing”. Gouge your pocket book more so than any other theme park in the world and the worst part ... is the cheap skating we see with new projects. Bringing the overall quality down. You get one team who will do wonders with the castle rehab. Then another who give you Pixar Pier (are they kidding?!!) Cut the budget on live Entertainment for a new land (SW:GE), and the list goes on. I don’t get that sick corporate culture feel at Knott’s.
                    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 02-12-2020, 05:19 AM.
                    MY SIGNATURE:
                    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

Originally posted by whiteness View Post
                      In many ways, I wish that Knott's could be more like Disney, and Disney more Knott's. They can both profit from learning from each other. I hope they will,
                      They did learn from each other. 1950s, 1960s ... both Walts visiting each other’s parks. Both good friends. The problem.... both businesses are now run by newer and very different people with their own (IMPERFECT!) agendas .... and we now have an old west theme park kind of copying Six Flags Magic Mountain. And another that has gone corporate top heavy ... still trying to add new things, but so shortsighted on adding the quintessential “details” that made them popular in the first place, and now so overpriced.

Learn from each other - HA! Disney’s ego is now one million times larger than the Hindenburg.... ready to crash and burn ...... but Knott’s learned from Disney already when they added the Calico Mine Train In 1960. Timber Mountain Log Ride In 1969. Roaring 20s in 1975, etc. They are now embracing the “heart” that Walter Knott set in place. They have been getting back to their roots. Disney on the other hand is this mess of committees who haven’t got a clue or care of their founders roots .... and still off track.

But not to worry .....
                      we have a place in Buena Park where we can go and capture some of that original charm that hasn’t gone Ultra Corporate. At least, not yet!
                      Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 02-12-2020, 05:21 AM.
                      MY SIGNATURE:

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X