• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• techskip
    replied
    Re: The Great Pumpkin Patch Review

Friday-Sunday, October 23-25, 2009 & October 30 – November 1, 2009
    Camping reservations open Saturday, July 25, 2009
    The one time a year where Calico Ghost Town actually becomes a ghost town. Bring the whole family for a hauntingly good time. Enjoy costume contests, pumpkin carving, ghost stories, and trick-or-treating for the little ones. And if you dare. . . take a chilling stroll through Maggie's Haunted Mine!
    • Daily admission: Adults: $10.00, Juniors (6-15) $5.00 per day; Children 5 & under are free;
    • Two Day Tickets: Adults $15.00, Juniors $8.00, Children 5 & under are free.
    • Prices and dates subject to change!
    • Camp Fee Info

http://www.calicotown.com/events/ghosthaunt/

We'd considered going but we had car trouble, and in honesty it is too far of a drive for us. We're considering the Christmas celebration (Dec 5th) but I'm not sure since it is a drive!

On that note we didn't make it to La Mirada today and likely will not make it this weekend... so if anyone is in the area and happens to take pictures please post them (Imperial and Beach according to my sources). I know several years ago we went (my son was 1) and it was a blast. I specifically remember a very large tortoise in the petting zoo area. However that is "old" information so I don't know what is there now. I didn't mean to give the impression that inflatable patches are "bad". I just wish the primary focus was on the pumpkins and not on giant inflatables that you see at just about any birthday party. In one specific case the "patch" had less pumpkins then the supermarket who's parking lot it occupied!

In other news I was told by my in-laws that there is actually a pumpkin shortage in Long Beach, and prices are pretty bad. I noticed a lot of places didn't have pumpkins this year, but I didn't specifically know why. Supposedly it was being blamed on "bad weather". Since stores place their orders later then pumpkin patches... stores lost out. A LOT of people paid a premium for their pumpkins this year (patches range from $3-$25 for "large" ones and all the way past $100 for those giant kid eating pumpkins!). As a result there have been thefts of pumpkins... in fact my wife's uncle had both of his stolen off his porch. In years past the concern was always someone possibly smashing them on Halloween... now it seems they're valuable enough to be stolen well before Halloween.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...op-is-elusive/
    Last edited by techskip; 10-24-2009, 07:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Kittiekyo
    replied

Tech, Those look like some pretty awesome places. We need to take the baby to the pumpkin patch still.. sadly all of those are a bit of a drive from us so we will probably end up with a full of inflatables one here in Victorville. We bought our pumpkins already from CVS ($3.99 for some pretty big and nice shaped pumpkins) but the pictures and memories are what the patches are about for me. I will make sure to post some pictures of our patch when we go. Calico Ghost Town isn't that bad of a drive from here so I was wondering if anyone had any information on what they are doing there and when. The DH's mother is coming to visit for Halloween.. and I really don't know what to do with her.. (I mean places to go :P) Also, you have some beautiful children and I salute you for being able to handle four!

Leave a comment:

• NeverNeverland
    replied

Originally posted by Barbaraann View Post
    I had no idea you were from my part of the world. I have lived in Chicago my whole entire life. When my own children were kids my husband didn't drive, so there were no country outings for them. So after my husband learned how to drive in his 40's, it was nice to be able to go places in the car, after my grandson came along. I am often accused of taking way too many pictures by my grandson, however those memories are precious to me.
    I originally am... both my parents were born and bred in IL, and I lived in Schaumburguntil I was 6. But I go back once or twice a year to visit my grandparents.

Jeff and I have been trying to go pick pumpkins, but it's rained every weekend or we've been busy on the non rainy days. Hopefully this weekend... it's supposed to rain Sat but not Sunday... It's strange to be a week from Halloween and not have a pumpkin!!

Leave a comment:

• techskip
    replied

The kids are definitely getting older and the "baby" is now running around hugging random pumpkins. We had some car trouble recently so I don't think we can make Tom's anytime soon (I've been at Christmas and during the summer many times). I also heard Calico Ghost Town is doing something so if anyone is out in that area... again too far for us. There are a couple other ones I've heard of. If anyone else has any pictures please post. (I hope to take more this weekend).

Leave a comment:

• vfire
    replied

Thanks for the reports. You should check out Toms Farms in Corona, they have some rides (including a train ride), a pumpkin patch, good food and produce, and the best popcorn I've ever had. It's a bit inland but it might be worth checking out with the family.

Leave a comment:

• Evil Step-Mom
    replied

Tech the kids are growing fast and they are so cute!

Leave a comment:

• RegionsBeyond
    replied

Great stuff, techskip, thank you. And while I certainly enjoy my monsters, horror films and haunted houses, good old pumpkins are fun too, and pumpkin patches. Some great photos in here, and from a true connoisseur it would seem.

Leave a comment:

• Disney Liz
    replied

Wonderful, wonderful pictures!
    I am such a pumpkin junkie so I loved this!

Leave a comment:

• techskip
    replied

I am often accused of taking way too many pictures by my grandson, however those memories are precious to me.
    I am so thankful for a digital camera... I took 30 pictures at the Main Place Pumpkin Patch and we were there less then an hour. On a single trip to Pa's... 80 pictures... I tend to take 2 or 3 of the same pose and then delete them later.

My Mom used to take as many pictures as she could... but there was always a limit. With digital I can take several, delete the bad ones, and then have the "best of the best". It's nearly impossible to get 3 kids and a baby to even look in the same general direction. That's why most of the pictures are action shots.

Leave a comment:

• Barbaraann
    replied

Originally posted by NeverNeverland View Post
    Thanks for the pics, Barbara. My family used to go there every year when I was a kid. I have vague memories of it, but I def. remember that pumpkin!!

I had no idea you were from my part of the world. I have lived in Chicago my whole entire life. When my own children were kids my husband didn't drive, so there were no country outings for them. So after my husband learned how to drive in his 40's, it was nice to be able to go places in the car, after my grandson came along. I am often accused of taking way too many pictures by my grandson, however those memories are precious to me.

Leave a comment:

• NeverNeverland
    replied

Thanks for the pics, Barbara. My family used to go there every year when I was a kid. I have vague memories of it, but I def. remember that pumpkin!!

Leave a comment:

• Barbaraann
    replied

Chicago is indeed a big city. However Chicagoland as some people refer to it has many suburban towns. This pumpkin farm is in South Barrington, I believe they actually have two locations. You can read about it if you google Goebbert's.

Leave a comment:

• techskip
    replied

Those are adorable... looks like it was out "in the country". When I think of Chicago I think of the bustling city and everything that goes with it.

Leave a comment:

• Barbaraann
    replied

These are old photos of they were taken years ago, at the above mentioned Goebbert's. Not quite sure I'm spelling it right.

Leave a comment:

• Barbaraann
    replied

Yes, that's Goebbert's. Years ago, it was the sight of a food drive held by WGN. So that was where I heard about it first, and after that we began taking our grandson there. We spent many glorious Fall days there.

Leave a comment:

• NeverNeverland
    replied

Is Goebberts the one with the huge pumpkinhead on top of a silo?

Leave a comment:

• Barbaraann
    replied

We haven't been to Goebberts in many years. My grandson loved it when he was single digits, but now that he's 16, well he's the only grandson we have so we haven't been back in a long time. I live in Chicago and Goebberts is still there. Not sure about the camel rides or the pig races.

Leave a comment:

• techskip
    replied

When my grandson was as young as your children, we used to take him out on a weekend day to a Pumpkin patch in the Chicagoland area called Goebbert's. I have many photos of Sean sitting among the pumpkins. They had a camel ride, and pig races, and really good homemade goodies for sale. Your photos sparked good memories of those days.
    Camel ride... that sounds like fun... is that place still around?

Leave a comment:

• Barbaraann
    replied

When my grandson was as young as your children, we used to take him out on a weekend day to a Pumpkin patch in the Chicagoland area called Goebbert's. I have many photos of Sean sitting among the pumpkins. They had a camel ride, and pig races, and really good homemade goodies for sale. Your photos sparked good memories of those days.

Leave a comment:

• techskip
    replied

Another coworker mentioned a large patch out in La Mirada. Depending on the plans this weekend we might go see what it's like. As I said this is one of my favorite times of the year.
    Last edited by techskip; 10-19-2009, 07:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X