This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Pictures] Hallowe'en at Greenfield Village

The Greenfield Village, adjacent to the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn Michigan is a educational historical-recreation village. They also have a fun Halloween event every year in which guests travel a path marked by 850 Jack-o-Lanterns, get candy, and meet a few colorful characters along the way. Join us for this trip report of our visit on October 11.

The usual schoolbus, now filled with jack-o-lantern kids, complete with sounds of cheerful children.

Death lurks!

And points at ME!

A very cool jack-o-lantern monster secured by trees.

The ghosts of the Wright Brothers haunting their house.

Madame Zaza will tell your fortune.

Thomas Edison... the WIZARD of Menlo Park.

This was a very nicely-done mini story of the birth of Frankenstein's monster using different illuminated windows that lit sequentially to tell the story like the panels of a comic strip. When each window lit, a corresponding sound clip played. Here, we see the monster escaping.

My favorite thing: skeletons playing bone xylophones...

...in a gazebo even!

A innocuous-looking row of scarecrows...

Watch out for that last one!

Here I am as previously-unknown Adventurer's Club member, race-car driving adventurer Crash Caruthers (cobbled together earlier that day). Crash is ready for any scarecrow trouble.

Ghost bride (with a very weird modified voice)!

Eternally looking for her long-lost husband.

Bo Peep kept asking people if they'd seen her sheep.

This guy was actually another park guest. Great costume.

Freckled Jack-o-lantern.

Opera lady.

Stack of jack-o-lanterns.

A pirate pub, complete with wench (my picture of the nearby steamboat-turned-pirate-ship were pretty worthless. It was very dark.).

A snake of jack-o-lanterns.

Crash and Christa with a local witch.

Entrance to the Sleepy Hollow section.

Sleepy Hollow scarecrow.

Halloween kitty in the old mill.

Ichabod Crane('s grandfather)! And where Ichabod is, you know who can't be far behind...

It's the Headless Horseman!

Head for the bridge, Ichabod!

That's it for the pictures. Non-pictured highlights: we were greeted by a lady who had several pre-paid tickets from people who couldn't make it - so we got in free (it's already a nicely-priced $15). A frightening Ronald McDonald (I guess that's redundant) was present. The carousel was strobe-lit and had several pieces of cheese cloth tied to it, making it look like ghosts were riding it as warped carousel music played. Very nice effect that you couldn't really capture in a still image.

It's a nice event and a pretty good time. My only minor complaint is that we went about three years ago and it was almost exactly the same. But at least it's a good same.

In a choice that couldn't be less like the Disney experience, the merchandise location closed early! We weren't even in the last group of the night, and it was closed before we got to it! I would've bought a shirt.

Oh, and the hot-cider was deliciously-spiced.

Re: Hallowe'en at Greenfield Village

That looks like such fun! I love that you dressed up!

Comment

Great trip report! Thank you so much for sharing. That Jack-o-lantern snake was awesome!
      MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook: .

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,
      Save

Comment

Nice report!
        Check out my page at www.myspace.com/wheresmickey

Check out my pin collection at www.pinpics.com. User name is WheresMickey

Comment

Thanks for sharing. We think about going each year, but I worry that I won't enjoy it as I'll keep trying to compare it to Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party.
          Paul

Comment

My Uncle Lives near Greenfield Village. I remember when I visited him we went to Ford Museum.

Comment

Originally posted by dsnypaul View Post
              Thanks for sharing. We think about going each year, but I worry that I won't enjoy it as I'll keep trying to compare it to Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party.
              Paul
              It's a fun trip, though certainly expectations should be very different than for Not So Scary. It's essentially a nicely-decorated trick-or-treat experience with a few fun extras.

The $15 vs. $50 makes the different expectations easy to accept.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
              Working...
              X