X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• geomorph
    replied
    Re: Knott's Berry Farm - Pictures

It must be across a different street, I can't imagine them reducing their parking area.

Leave a comment:

• Ranger Rick
    replied

There still a knife shop, but it has been moved. Look cross from the Firemans BBQ.

A cross the street? I thought that the over flow parking for Knotts.

Leave a comment:

• Dutchman
    replied

The Knotts didn't keep anything. They sold the canning business to ConAgra, which in turn sold it to Smuckers. This was the same time frame that they sold the park to Cedar Fair. In a nutshell the properties were sold because the current generation(the grandchildren) just wanted the money, and not the 16 hour days that it took to get it.

Leave a comment:

• stagolee
    replied

ehh last time i went to the restaurant my fried chicken had a rubbery texture, like it had been sitting under a heat lamp for a day. Did the knott family retain ownership of the restaurant? It seems like they would...but i doubt it for some reason

does anyone know if they still have that knife store next to the boot hill cemetary? It would be funny if they still sold knives...they should move that store to magic mountain haha

Does anyone know whats going on with the empty lots across beach and on the other side of la palma? theres buena park city signs that seem to promise something of interests...hopefully not more cheap motels...

knotts seems to be at a loss for space, do you think anything more can be done with knotts without the removal of current attractions?

Leave a comment:

• aashee
    replied

Originally posted by PirateChick View Post
    They don't have the rhubarb anymore? At the chicken house they used to give you a choice of either chicken noodle soup or the rhubarb. I never had it myself but my mom always used to get it. Then again that was a year or so ago so things might have changed.
    Originally posted by geomorph View Post
    Piratechick, I'm not sure if they still have rhubarb but if they did a year ago I imagine they still do!

RadioBarry, yes I think the steakhouse and gift shop are still there, and the takeout stand. The rollercoasters certainly impinge on the charm!
    They do still have the rhubarb. PRoblem is choosing that or the Chicken Soup makes the rhubarb a distant 2nd everytime.

Leave a comment:

• geomorph
    replied

Radiobarry, oh yes there is still gobs of boysenberry pie! And punch!

Leave a comment:

• Radiobarry
    replied

And the boysenberry pie?

(I may have to leave a little earler on the Friday of the Anniversary meet, just to indulge in a little notstalgia at Mrs. Knotts.

Leave a comment:

• geomorph
    replied

Piratechick, I'm not sure if they still have rhubarb but if they did a year ago I imagine they still do!

RadioBarry, yes I think the steakhouse and gift shop are still there, and the takeout stand. The rollercoasters certainly impinge on the charm!

Leave a comment:

• Radiobarry
    replied

Originally posted by Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Bo View Post
    Wow, your photos make me want to go to Knotts,
    I think they've done MC meet ups there in the past, Bibbidi. If you wanted to check out the possibilities, put me down as interested. I'd love just to walk around the place again. And Bibbidi, I love the general "joie di vive" or joy of life you exude here on MC. I'm sure group discounts are available...and BTW to geomorph...sorry for derailing your thread a bit.

Leave a comment:

• Radiobarry
    replied

One of my best friends in college (who now works in TV in Santa Barbara, and helped get me my radio job in Ventura 25 years ago)...worked first at the take-out stand (is that still there?), and then as a waiter in the Chicken Dinner restaurant.

With his good humor and devilish grin, he used to tell his customers...you have three choices for your entree. first, chicken. Second...chicken! And third, Chicken!!!!)

Bob's Steakhouse and Virginia's Gift Shop still around? (I've driven Beach Blvd through the area recently but obviously haven't looked closely in YEARS)

And oh, yes, that friend and I, still and now have our occasional good-natured "rhubarb" if you know what I mean...

Great memories of the yester-Knotts, geomorph. But don't some of the views of the giant super-structure roller costers, easily seen from the older areas, make you feel oddly out of place? I know you can see Tomorrowland from Main Street, and all. But it's different somehow.

Leave a comment:

• PirateChick
    replied

RadioBarry, do you remember the sidedish of rhubarb they used to serve with the meal too?
    They don't have the rhubarb anymore? At the chicken house they used to give you a choice of either chicken noodle soup or the rhubarb. I never had it myself but my mom always used to get it. Then again that was a year or so ago so things might have changed.

Leave a comment:

• Radiobarry
    replied

RadioBarry, do you remember the sidedish of rhubarb they used to serve with the meal too?
    Vaguely. But not nearly as well as the boysenberry pie!

Leave a comment:

• geomorph
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Radiobarry
    replied

Thanks! Like DisneyIPresume, I also appreciated not only the pictures, but the comparisons and reminders of what the Knott family did, consciously or not, to help Disneyland become what it did.

I haven't been back in a long time, since it seemed like the modern-day owners cared more for the big thrill roller coasters, which really aren't of much interest to me.

But your pictures remind me of the days when the Knott family ran things, and their attention to theming and detail was so obvious.

I remember going on a field trip with my sixth grade class, back in the spring of 1968, and they told us that admission wouldn't be free, much longer. Sure seemed like a big change back then.

As a child I loved the boysenberry pie they served at Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner restaurant.

Leave a comment:

• Rex Dopey24
    replied

great pictures.

Leave a comment:

• geomorph
    replied

Bibbidi, thank you! I use a Canon Powershot S2IS which I have had since early 2006, its a small SLR, bulkier that most of the small digitals but smaller than many of the large SLRs. I use it because its larger lens means I can get decent non-flash interior shots over a smaller handier pocket camera.

Leave a comment:

• TheGlassSlipper
    replied

Wow, your photos make me want to go to Knotts, and Im not a fan of that place at all! What kind of camera did you use?

Leave a comment:

• DisneyIPresume
    replied

Great pics! I sure do miss the Wacky Soapbox Racers and the Haunted Shack!

I do like your comparison with certain attractions at Knotts and Disneyland attractions. I think too many people underestimate the influence that Knotts has had on the development of Disneyland. Imagine if Knotts had never been around. I'll bet anything that Disneyland and all other MK style parks would be different to this day!

Oh and DIP Jr is in the 5th grade now which means he's taking American History. His class went on a field trip to Independence Hall last month. Did you know that the Independence Hall scenes in National Treasure were filmed at Knott's?

Leave a comment:

• Joshnyah
    replied

I have been to knotts once in my life and that was in october during the Haunt, I had no idea that knotts had all of these neat attractions, I will definitly be planning a trip to knotts very soon, thank you for your pictures.

Leave a comment:

• Dutchman
    replied

The area where Independence Hall is was referred to as the "Lagoon". It had train ride, boat ride and a Dentzel carousel, all owned and operated by Hurlbut Amusement Co. It was a pay as you go operation, and lasted untill Bud's contract expired and the Knott family,(taking some very bad advice) didn't renew it.

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X