X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CaptPhoebus
    Dumptruck of Information
    • Jun 2005

Trip Report Micechatters Invade West Coast Bash 2010 - Six Flags Magic Mountain

When Theme Park Review announced this year's West Coast Bash, it was a no-brainer decision to go. After hearing all of the wonderful reviews about it last year, Fishbulb, Monorail Man, Sir Clinksalot and myself quickly signed up for this fun filled day of coaster riding madness. We were even able to convince our Arizona friend, Pratt55, to come out for all the festivities. Thanks again to Robb, over at Theme Park Review, and all the staff and management over at Six Flags Magic Mountain for putting on, hosting, and executing this wonderful day at the park.

The Journey began as we arrived at Six Flags Magic Mountain shortly after 7 AM for registration. We waited for about an hour to be let into the park for our 2 hour morning ERT (Extended Ride Time) on Revolution, X2, Viper, Tatsu and Terminator Salvation: The Ride.

The crowds gather before being let in

Front of the line

The death march begins

First ride of the day

Take the tunnel

Where the new Mr. Six Dance Coaster is going in. No vertical construction yet

Time for Breakfast

Pratt55 practicing her modeling skills

New this year to West Coast Bash, were what they called excursions. Each excursion was about 15 people each, and each group went and saw something backstage, or not available to the general public. These excursions went on throughout the entire day, and with each person only able to do one of them. Our group drew the first excursion time, which allowed us to see Block Break Testing and Safety Checks over at Scream, before the park opened for normal operating hours.

Took while waiting for our tour to depart

Excursion leaders

Last safety check, employee testing

After watching them perform the checks at Scream, and letting us ride it afterwards, we made a mad dash across the park to make it in time for our Backstage Walking Tour. This years walking tour allowed us to see Terminator Salvation: The Ride, Riddler's Revenge, Batman: The Ride, and Tidal Wave from a different angle and perspective. And yes, photos were allowed!

First stop: Terminator Salvation: The Ride

Second stop: Riddler's Revenge

Next stop: Batman: The Ride

One of the Fright Fest areas

Saying goodbye to our new friend

Fishbulb says no sharing

Aquaman came and greeted us

Lunchtime

After lunch, Monorail Man and myself decided to join another group to try out their scavenger hunt, while the rest of our group decided to go on some of the more water-friendly rides the park offers. Unfortunately, don't have any pics of the scavenger hunt, as we were busy using every available second to answer the riddles and questions. But we all agreed to meet back up after the scavenger hunt to go ride X2 before Fishbulb had to leave us for the day.

On the way to X2

We're here to Ride!

After saying our goodbyes to Fishbulb, we dashed over to make the Question & Answer Session put on by the executive park management team. As well as finding out how well we did on the scavenger hunt.

Executive management team (Park President, Director of Operations, and Head Engineer)

Scavenger Hunt team #41, 2nd place winners (we lost by 4 points)

The optional dinner was over at Mooseburger Lodge, which was a buffet of salads and pastas

We spent the last few hours of normal park operating hours just wandering the parks, waiting for the nighttime ERT to start. I took the opportunity to test out some of the night capabilities of my camera. Here are some of those results.

Carousel

Valencia Falls view

Superman: The Escape, from Thomas Town

Gotham City Backlot

Batman: The Ride

Riddler's Revenge

Scrambler

Samurai Summit

And you thought a Mod's written warning was bad,

Pratt55 with the Director of Operations

Best group shot ever

We also had one bonus perk for our night ERT. Some lucky members were given coupons for a FREE ride on Dive Devil. Our group was lucky enough to get these. And we have the video of our experience.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX8gpkyXjbk"]YouTube - SFMM Dive Devil 2010[/ame]

Thanks again to everyone who made this day possible. It truly was a smashing success. I can't wait until next year for it to all happen again.
  • sir clinksalot
    MiceChatter
    • Feb 2005

Re: Micechatters Invade West Coast Bash 2010 - Six Flags Magic Mountain

Great stuff Matt. It was truly an amazing day, one I hope is repeated next year.

I'm still waiting for somebody to post the video of Monorail Man and Sir Clinksalot on the Dive Devil ...

Comment

• Fishbulb
      MiceChat Contributer
      • Feb 2005

OH MAN that day was so much fun
      "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals. �
      Homer Jay Simpson

Comment

• Stitchy
        Disappearing/Reappearing
        • Jun 2006

hmmm...maybe I can't be mini-Pratt. Roller coasters scare me to death! I couldn't imagine riding all those in one day....one right after the other!

Great trip report! Thanks for sharing the fun

Comment

• pratt55
          Arizona's own
          MiceChat Moderator
          • Mar 2006

I have to say this was one of my favorite days ever. It was great having the ERT time in the morning and night but the best part was just getting to spend the day with some of the best of MC's men.

Not only was CaptPhoebus driving and taking pictures. He was texting and that's illegal in California.

sigpic

Comment

• JesterMn
            Functional & Decorative
            • Jul 2005

I also like how the SFMM and Knott's management are so humorous, and open to questions from the public. They were great to hear from, and it seems like they really care about the park. I also must say that the rank and file employee at SFMM were extremely friendly all day long. It almost rivaled Disney. Great job by both parks!
            Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

Comment

• sir clinksalot
              MiceChatter
              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by pratt55 View Post
              Not only was CaptPhoebus driving and taking pictures. He was texting and that's illegal in California.
              I was sleeping ... (on a bench of course, not on the ride)

Comment

• pratt55
                Arizona's own
                MiceChat Moderator
                • Mar 2006

Originally posted by JesterMn View Post
                I also like how the SFMM and Knott's management are so humorous, and open to questions from the public. They were great to hear from, and it seems like they really care about the park. I also must say that the rank and file employee at SFMM were extremely friendly all day long. It almost rivaled Disney. Great job by both parks!
                I can't speak about the Knott's portion but I am glad you reminded of what a wonderful job all the SFMM staff did all day long. From every job level we saw employees having a good time and very enthusiastic. I had not been at the park in 7 years due to its decline but last Saturday showed me how much a park can change for the better.

I am including my pictures in with CaptPhoebus rather than doing my own report.

Sirclinksalot picked my son and I up at 6:45 a.m. from our hotel to save all the L.A. drivers from me. First ride was one of the scariest, the tram.

Sirclinks was talking to Fishbulb about our arrival time.

Monorail Man was wide awake looking forward to a day of lockers, lockers, lockers.

The Capt and I looking ready to ride.

Stay behind the gate lady.

Fishbulb and Monorail Man probably heading to the lockers.

Capt Phoebus in what would become his look for the day.

Pratt55, my son, Sir Clinks son and Sir Clinks. Both of our sons were born on February 25.

My cubs and I

Mark, SFMM, Colossus guru. He was our walking tour guide, our guide for the brake stop check for Scream and at the end of the night our Colossus operator. I'm not sure if he ever sleeps but he definitely made our day special.

During the backstage tour we found an old log jammer vehicle. It should have been a clue to me for later.

This is the fireworks box. In case of emergency it would contain all the fireworks in one place.

I always liked freefall

Tidal wave ride vehicle

I guess they knew I was coming.

My son and I with the one and only Bugs Bunny.

While Capt Phoebus and Monorail Man were leading their scavenger hunt team to a 2nd place victory, the Clinks, Pratt's and Fishbulb took ride on the venicular. We then decided to ride Goldrusher which is a great classic coaster. I then took part in the wildest ride of the day, riding shotgun in a bumper care with Fishbulb driving. Somehow by the end of the ride every other car was trying to 'get us'.

Fishbulb then suggested a nice relaxing ride on the log jammer. This was probably the longest line we waited in all day.

Fishbulb pondering our seat locations for the ride.

Sirclinksalot's beard matches my hair.

The kids got their own logs, while Sirclinks, Fishbulb and I shared a log. After nearly capsizing our log and laughing about it. 2 out of 3 of us were soaked.

Of course this meant time for another one of our famous locker stops. I was bringing up the rear.

7 years ago I went to SFMM twice one summer just to ride X and both times I was denied. Fishbulb promised me that we would get to ride it together and I can say he is a man of his word. He selected the best seats for us in the back and when I could not figure out how the restraint worked I told the hostess to just make sure I was securely strapped in and not to worry about Fishy. She then told him "what a great wife you have" :lol:. The whole ride up the lift hill he kept saying "are you ready" and I told him NO. As you can see below it was such a blast and it was well worth the 7 year wait to ride it with the one and only Fishy.

After X2 it was time for Fishbulb to depart, so we stopped by the lockers and then headed towards the 4:00 Q and A.

One very nice thing, they provided cold water to all of the attendees.

Our wonderful group.

I had thought the session would be boring but I am very happy to say I was wrong. All of the SFMM management were great about answering questions. They also announced which coasters would be available for the Exclusive Ride Time after the park closed. Every one of their coasters was open with the exception of Ninja which was being worked on. Thank you again SFMM for making my day.

As we left the show, we caught a few characters going by.

I had not thought to buy the dinner tickets so my son and I ate dinner together and Johnny Rockets and got some time alone which is always nice.

After dinner we all met up again and it was time to ride Viper. Immediately afterwards my son came running up saying he lost his wallet. I told him to go to Johnny Rockets since that was the last place he had used it while the rest of us headed to Lost and Found to report it. Just as I finished filling out the paperwork, Monorail Man saw a security guard holding a wallet. We told him that we had just filled out the paperwork and I asked if he would look inside it to see if it matched my son's name. It did and ALL of his stuff was still in it. Score another big point for SFMM.

We then made our way to meet back up with my kid but along the way we got distracted and had to ride Thomas the Train.

We then rode Batman, Goldrusher, bumper cars. The son's rode Scrambler together. The grey hoodie is my kid's head.

As the park closed we did Dive Devil for FREE again thanks to SFMM wonderful host's who earlier in the day had given us coupons. Capt. Phoebus posted our video of Dive Devil which I know I would not have been able to do without him. He was so zen up there it was almost cracking me up. I hope Monorail Man gets his video up soon since I really did not get to see it that night:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CJ0ktjIaSk"]YouTube- Monorail Man and Sir Clinksalot on Dive Devil at Six Flags Magic Mountain[/ame]

Then it was time to 'take the tunnel' on Terminator Salvation. No pre-show, no lines, special audio = Fanfriggintastic time.

Last edited by Monorail Man; 03-26-2010, 10:12 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

• Timmy55
                  PHX-DL-PHX repeat PRN
                  • Jul 2007

Hope the men of MiceChat had fun with my wife. She could hardly walk for days!
                  sigpic
                  "Oh look, a dumb idea just found a friend"

Emerson Cod

Comment

• brand42
                    we jumped out a window
                    • Jun 2008

Pratt, I think that Fishy set you up on X2!!!! The ride is much more intense on the outside seats (I don't even sit there anymore) and is also much more intense on the back row.

I had to leave early as well, right after the Q&A so that's why you guys didn't see me again.

Comment

• tamasurvivor
                      aka the scorpion eater!
                      • Nov 2006

omg! I need to visit Six Flags sometime... I have been dying to ride X2... seriously!

The whole event looks like fun!
                      Add me... I dont bite LOL!
                      http://tamasurvivor.tumblr.com/

http://www.youtube.com/tamasurvivor
                      http://www.facebook.com/TAMAsurvivor

Commence Dragulation... Dragulation complete!!

Comment

• JavertHL
                        New MiceChatter
                        • Jun 2009

Did they repaint Batman for the Dark Knight?

Comment

• Monorail Man
                          MiceChatter
                          MiceChat Administrator
                          • Jan 2005

Here's the Video of Sir Clinksalot and I:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CJ0ktjIaSk]YouTube - Monorail Man and Sir Clinksalot on Dive Devil at Six Flags Magic Mountain[/ame]
                          -Monorail Man

Comment

• CaptPhoebus
                            Dumptruck of Information
                            • Jun 2005

Originally posted by JavertHL View Post
                            Did they repaint Batman for the Dark Knight?
                            No, it wasn't painted for the Dark Knight. Batman just got recently painted about 3-4 months ago, at the latest. it went from Grey to Electric Blue. And I must say, I'm was quite impressed at how much the Blue made a difference from an aesthetics look. The pictures do a nice job in showing the color change, but it's not the same as seeing the change in person.

Old Color Scheme:

New Color Scheme:

Comment

• Rex Dopey24
                              Goofy
                              • Jul 2006

wow awesome trip report. glad to hear you all had fun.

Comment

• sir clinksalot
                                MiceChatter
                                • Feb 2005

Thanks for the video MM!!! That was such an amazing ride and an amazing day. I can't believe it's been a week already.

Comment

• astrologic
                                  living in the sprawl
                                  • Apr 2008

Great report! Looks like you all had a great time.

sigpic

Comment

• JesterMn
                                    Functional & Decorative
                                    • Jul 2005

Maybe this will put a dent in some of the SFMM bashing that goes on around here so much.

Okay, it won't, but it's nice to dream, and even better to see positive things being said about SFMM around here.
                                    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

Comment

• Mary Read
                                      Merrily on my way to
                                      • Oct 2006

That looks so fun! Great report and beautiful pictures!! All that and Aquaman, too.

Comment

• WheresMickey
                                        Looking for Hidden Mickey
                                        • May 2008

Awsome report!
                                        Check out my page at www.myspace.com/wheresmickey

Check out my pin collection at www.pinpics.com. User name is WheresMickey

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X