Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trip Report Tech & Tink's Memorial Weekend Road Trip pt1 Sequoia & Kings Canyon

I'm not sure who follows what but some of you may have read on the Priceline thread that I had difficulty renting a car for Memorial Weekend. The short version of the story is that 2 weeks prior to Memorial weekend I was told I could have Friday off as well as the customary Monday. Since I had a 4 day weekend I figured it was time for a road trip. Tink isn't due for another month... so the timing couldn't be better. I reserved a room in Sequoia National Park, as well as a room in Sacramento, and a car. A week before the trip I verified my reservations. Both room reservations were good, but there was an issue with my car rental. Thankfully Enterprise was able to recover the situation before the weekend so off we went!

This is Part 1. I am splitting it into 3 parts because it is 3 different locations and it will be photo heavy. Part 1 covers Friday May 28th and Saturday May 29th. It's Sequoia, and Kings Canyon. Part 2 will cover Sunday May 30th in Old Sacramento and the California State Railroad Museum. Part 3 will be Memorial Day and cover The Underground Gardens in Fresno. Again it is 1 trip, but I am splitting it up to make it easier for those who wish to see specific locations...
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Re: Tech & Tink's Memorial Weekend Road Trip pt1 Sequoia & Kings Canyon

Not too many pictures at the start of the trip. We were on the road from Long Beach around 9am, and the first picture was after we made it over the Grapevine.

Some people like Denny's, some don't... for our little ones Denny's is the perfect pitstop.

This was snapped in the Denny's parking lot, right over Grapevine

Another nice scenery shot from Denny's

hard to believe the "baby" is getting so big!

Between Walmart, Target, Dollar Tree and 99c store I spent over $20 on coloring books and crayons... great investment which made it easier for the little ones.

couldn't resist this picture!

VERY excited to be on a road trip.

sigpic

Comment

We stopped a couple times for gas but our next major stop was Three Rivers, which is right outside the Sequoia entrance.

Some things demand that you pull over and take a picture. I guess this is a BBQ joint, wasn't open though

Found the grill

Three Rivers has a community center/museum. It's tiny, but offers plenty of amazing antiques, free wifi, and a clean restroom. If you are going to Sequoia I HIGHLY recommend stopping here

The kids' first look at just how big Sequoias get

I guess this used to be in front of a restaurant. Anyhow they moved it here later.

kids playing in front of big cutout

just another cute one

sigpic

Comment

Inside the Community Center it is full of antiques

I had to explain she wasn't allowed to ride on the big car rug

old Victorian dress

the girls LOVED this vanity set

Old mining stuff

dogsled... it snows a LOT up here

sigpic

Comment

Old cowboy outfit and saddle

The kids LOVED feeling the various animal furs

fun family shot in front of the center

The kids also enjoyed the sculpture

COOL old stuff

The one on the right is WW1

sigpic

Comment

Hand carved ski's and pole

imagine how many stories that old organ could tell...

for some reason I have always found old cameras and typewriters fascinating.

I WANT ONE... I'd modify it but I really wanted one.

Again... well worth the stop if you are going to Sequoia.

sigpic

Comment

As I look at the pictures of your daughters smiling for the camera, it reminds me of the days that my grandson was a willing photo subject. Now that he's 17, he just moans and groans when I turn on my camera.

I always enjoy your trip reports, and thanks for sharing your family and your pictures with all of us.
              BarbaraAnn

Comment

Taken outside Three Rivers, beautiful area

another beautiful shot

Sequoia National Forest entrance

Beautiful vista point

a lizard... ok the kids made me take this picture

Mom and kids in front of Sequoia sign

they loved looking at the water.

sigpic

Comment

It is tradition within my family to stop at a visitor's center whenever possible

Sorry for the blur, that is bear skin and she loved it

I believe it is a rubber mold of a bear paw

who knew rocks could be this exciting

and here they are looking at the rocks again.

wild flowers were everywhere

the sky kept changing from clear to ominous and back to clear again

more wild flowers

sigpic

Comment

you start climbing quickly and before you know it, it feels like you are in the clouds

somewhat unnerving to drive under rocks like this. We skipped Tunnel Rock by the way because we were in a rush to get to the Montecito.

That is a bear... less then 20ft from the van... some idiot in front of us stopped and got out to take pictures. We... we locked the doors and rolled up the windows!

Their first glimpse of a Sequoia... and this is a little one...

To give you a sense of scale the RV is on the road below

Not sure who the person on the bottom is... this is all right off the road btw

We did stop at the giant forest museum, the shots didn't come out so well except this...which I feel is fitting.

sigpic

Comment

This is the Sentinal... it is considered "average" by Sequoia standards.

had to do the superman pose...

she really wanted her picture taken

another beautiful Sequoia

not everyone was happy about the snow

sigpic

Comment

Around the Giant's museum there is a road that leads to a couple remarkable trees..

This is the Tunnel Log

sign pretty much explains it

Buttress tree... read the sign below

I would have given money to be around when that came down... the ground must have shook like an earthquake.

Another shot taken to show scale of the trees

Now we entered the park at 430pm, these shots were taken sometime around 6pm. Since we didn't want to drive to the Montecito in the dark we decided to call it quits and get to where we needed to check in. We actually missed dinner... but they were nice enough to get us some food, and the kids had smores. Unfortunately I don't have any shots of the Montecito until the following morning.

sigpic

Comment

Special treat for the kids... snow on the ground, clear beautiful starry night... time to take them in the hot tub!

It was cold enough that the steam got in the way of taking the shots...

horrible photo, bad lighting... but they had their own bunk beds in the suite

not everyone likes to be awake at 7am

this is our view from the window and yes that is a frozen lake

our private room with king size bed

Another inside shot with bad lighting... this is the living room. Our suite was 2 bedrooms. 1 bedroom was 2 sets of bunk beds. 2nd bedroom was a king size bed. Private bathroom with tub/shower combo... and living room with a pullout sleeper couch. The only complaints were no phone and no tv... but honestly we didn't need either one. It was less then $300 for the night and that price included dinner and breakfast. If we had stayed longer we also could have done various activities. I HIGHLY recommend Montecito to any family wishing to see Sequoia!

sigpic

Comment

Those sure look like four happy kids. Mazel Tov on the FIFTH one, coming soon.

Comment

This is the pool and hot tub... amazing view

the view from the back deck

They loved these bears

the main Lodge

I love the murals

Inside is huge, this is the main dining hall

Main fireplace

Rec room (they have everything from music to games to foosball to pingpong... really something.

mural on the back of the front door

This is the "little kids" play area

vollyball and basketball courts... they also have plenty of other things to do as well!

sigpic

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X