Oogie's day at California's Great America

Ad Widget

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trip Report Oogie's day at California's Great America

The last time I was there, there was a large buffer between the park and the tech companies of the Silicon Valley. Since then it appears Cedar Fair sold off some of the land. You can see how close these companies are to the park now.

You can see how empty the parking lot is.

The park entrance

Once past the metal detectors, we were greeted with a familiar sight, the double decker carousel.

The Vortex and the swings as seen from the top deck of the carousel.

From a distance, the carousel still looks beautiful..

But as you get closer, you realize that this ride is in serious need of some TLC.

But at least the grounds were tidy.

Wow!!! An actual video arcade!!!!

You can see how empty the park is.

Whitewater Falls. Since there was no line we stayed in the boat and rode it twice.

Invertigo. This is where The Sky Whirl used to be. It was a 3 armed ferris wheel that gave you a great view of the Santa Clara valley. I was sad to see it had been removed.

Without any themeing (knowing how Mrs. Oogie drives, I tried giving her a lot of space)

Hey!!! They have Dole Whips here too!!!

The Midway Games area. Again you can see just how empty the park was this day.

If you ever miss the Maliboomer, you can always come to Great America and ride the Drop Tower.

J J J

Survivor, the Ride.

There are signs like this throughout the waiting area, and they are all weathered and in bad need of painting.

The wild mouse coaster

With a themed entry (one of the only themed entries in the park)

The entrance to the Snoopy section

Where you are greeted by a statue of Snoopy.

Mrs. Oogie (in the pink hat) and her sister have a seat with Snoopy and Woodstock.

The stuff in the kids area looks great.

Except for the restaurant. What does Cedar Fair have against paint?

After paying almost $30 for a small cheeseburger, a side of fries, 4 chicken strips, and 2 drinks, we made our way over to the log ride.

Originally there were 2 log rides at Great America. Loggers Revenge in The Yukon Territory (now Planet Snoopy), and The Yankee Clipper in Yankee Harbor (now Boomerang Bay). The channels that they used for the 2 rides were side by side, which on hot summer days, made it perfect for having water wars between the 2 boats as they passed by each other.

Wow!! An actual skyway! I think those are even the original cars.

Most of Boomerang Bay was closed that day.

But the entrance to it was still open.

Rip Roaring Rapids. Not quite on par with Grizzly River Run, but still a very fun ride. The ride operators were very laid back and let us ride it 3 times without asking us to get our.

And yes, you get very very wet on this ride. The wettest you get though is when you pass by these machines.

There are 2 spots where they have these jets, and whoever was using them when we were on the ride were experts at using them. Everyone in our raft got soaked.

In turn I got off and spent $3 soaking people as they came by.

Yay!!! Bumper Cars!!!!

Since it was getting late (about 5pm and the park closed at 6pm), we decided to take the sky way back across the park so Mrs. Oogie could ride Survivor one more time.

The tracks for Vortex

A scenic view of the park

An arial view of the entrance to Boomerang Bay

The Psycho Mouse and the employee parking lot beyond.

Last edited by OogieBoogie; 08-29-2010, 11:16 PM.
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

Re: Oogie's day at California's Great America

Thanks for the detailed trip report. I especially enjoyed your comment about the cars that you drive. I have a very hard time getting into the Autopia cars, and those cars at your Great America would be a whole lot easier.

My son always talks about visiting California if he had the money. He would love this park. He is crazy for roller coasters.

Thanks again. I am presently in the Dells, and stuck in my hotel room on a rainy morning, so your report and MiceChat in general has helped past the time.

Great stuff Oogie. We had a fun day at CGA when we were there last year, but opted to not go back on our bay area trip this year as nothing was really new (same could be said for Six Flags as well).

It will be interesting to see what happens with this park over the next few years if/when the new 49ers stadium is built near the park.

Thank for the report. It brought back some memories. I worked at the park back when it was called "Marriott's Great America". I believe it was the Summer of 1980. I was 16 and I work in the old fashon photography shop in the Hometown Square area of the park (I think that's what it was called back then). It was my first "real" job and it was a lot of fun. My friends and my two little sisters loved it because I could get them into the park for free. I have not been to the park in years (decades actually) so I'm not sure I would reconize the palce.

Seems like Six Flags Great America is a much better park to be at than Cedar Fair's.

Thanks for the TR! I live locally in the Bay Area but haven't been to Great America in YEARS. I didn't even know until recently that Top Gun changed names (makes sense with Paramount's departure), nor have I been on the Invertigo or checked out Boomerang Bay. DH is Aussie so he will probably get a kick out of Boomerang Bay (kind of like when we go to Outback Steakhouse). It's too late to visit now for this year, but your TR has convinced me that we must go next summer. DH and I are both coaster fans so there is really no excuse when we live only 20 min away!
            AP holder since 2007

Love it, Love it, Love it.
              "You are watching FOX"

Ad Widget