This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Pictures] SF Fleet Week 2011

Went to Fleet Week this weekend in SF (10-8-11). Fleet Week is an annual event celebrating the military sea services.

Amazing display of skills in the air. The Blue Angels Navy flight team is the main attraction.

There were a bunch of different military ships in the morning, then the planes took the stage in the afternoon.

Sailors stood attentionthe whole time. I guess it took about 45 minutes for the carrier to move fromthe bridge to just past Alcatraz (maybe 3 miles).

Royal Canadian Team

F-15

Supersonic

Everybody gets into theact

Oracle Racer

Hercules

Yep, he went under too

Angels over Angel Island

If you are near the Bay Area (or NY) you have got to get out and see Fleet Week!
    They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night. ~Edgar Allan Poe

Re: SF Fleet Week 2011

Got to love The Blue Angels ,excelent photos

Comment

thanks Dave
      They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night. ~Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

Those pictures are fantastic! Wish I could have gone out to see that. Some of my friends went.

Facebook me!
        Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

Comment

Thanks IzzyInWonderland

Comment

great pics!! too bad I was at DLR for the fleet weekend I really wanted to go take pix this year.
            These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
            My company had a special night at the park
            WdW trip report with WWoHP
            NYE 2011 trip report
            Mice Chat 7th anniversary
            Leap year 24 hour report
            New DCA trip report
            NYE 2012
            HKDL trip report

Comment

great photos.. I'm spoiled because the Blue Angels always flew the week of my birthday at our naval station for many many years. Seeing the F-15 do the performance would have been cool. Don't think he would have gone supersonic there (that's just condensation over the leading edges).. the boom that close to civilian stuff is a pretty bad liability.

The best ever for me tho was going on a tiger cruise and seeing F-14s on full burner on the catapult.. that rocks your world.

Comment

Originally posted by chris001 View Post
                Thanks IzzyInWonderland
                Anytime

Facebook me!
                Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

Comment

Originally posted by biggsworth View Post
                  great pics!! too bad I was at DLR for the fleet weekend I really wanted to go take pix this year.
                  Thanks Biggsworth

---------- Post added 10-26-2011 at 02:51 PM ----------

Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
                  great photos.. I'm spoiled because the Blue Angels always flew the week of my birthday at our naval station for many many years. Seeing the F-15 do the performance would have been cool. Don't think he would have gone supersonic there (that's just condensation over the leading edges).. the boom that close to civilian stuff is a pretty bad liability.

The best ever for me tho was going on a tiger cruise and seeing F-14s on full burner on the catapult.. that rocks your world.
                  Thanks flynnibus, sounds like you have had some real good times.

I was actually surprised how many sonic booms we got, if I recall correctly there were at least three by the F-15. One of the Angels did one too.

Comment

Ah, Fleet Week...

I remember driving myself up to San Francisco in Oct, 1989 to start a new job. As I crossed over the Bay Bridge, a HUGE banner spanning the highway proclaimed:

THE FLEET IS IN!

TAKE A SAILOR HOME
                    FOR DINNER
                    TONIGHT!

FLEET WEEK - 1989

I remember thinking, "Wow; is this a GREAT city, or what?!"

Later that month, I rode out the '89 Earthquake in the basement of the Curran Theatre, and later walked back to my new apartment along with masses of businessmen and women from the Finacial District, all heading home...

Thank you so much for posting the beautiful photos; God Bless our men and women in uniform!!

EQ
                    "I've got the heart of a child..." - I keep it in a box, next to my bed...

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X