Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Knott's "America's 1st Theme Park" - Huh?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knott's "America's 1st Theme Park" - Huh?

has anyone else noticed knott's has recently been marketing itself as "America's 1st Theme Park?"

i always was under the impression that disneyland proper held that title... anyone care to *shed* some light on this for me?

Darkbeer photo:

Knott's web site
    My Roadtrip Photos

Re: Knott's "America's 1st Theme Park" - Huh?

^ They are going back to the date when it was a farm and they had pony rides, etc.

It's a well known fact that Walt visited Knott's when he was planning Disneyland.

Not sure if they are really the 1st, Holiday World in Indiana has some claim to that title I'm sure.

Comment

Two parks try to claim the title of America's 1st Theme Park, Knott's Berry Farm and Holiday World (originally Santa Claus Land).

Knott's opened Ghost Town in 1940, and Santa Claus Land opened in 1946, and they both lay claim to the title. Since Ghost Town was a combination of historical buildings, shops and some attractions, IMHO it matches the description of a Theme Park, and since Disneyland hasn't sued to have the sign and claim removed, looks like Knott's is the 1st.
      Last edited by Darkbeer; 07-03-2006, 02:11 PM.
      Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Comment

Thanks for the info
        My Roadtrip Photos

Comment

Knotts Used To Be Fun Till They Let It Go To Hell With All The Darn Roller Coasters I Loved It When It Was A Cowboy Themed Park Now Its Just Another Lame Six Flags Copy....its Sad Really!

Comment

It's been called that for quite some time...

Comment

Originally posted by sir clinksalot
              ^ They are going back to the date when it was a farm and they had pony rides, etc.

It's a well known fact that Walt visited Knott's when he was planning Disneyland.

Not sure if they are really the 1st, Holiday World in Indiana has some claim to that title I'm sure.
              And the Knott's came to the July 17th grand opening of Disneyland.

Comment

It's true, in fact. Walt Disney copied certain aspects of Knott's including hiring away their Indians for the Indian Village, that tore the rellationship.
                "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

Comment

Knotts has been known to be "the first theme park" for some time, definitely predating Disneyland. Wikipedia has some information on the subject that might be of interest.

Comment

Hmm. My bet is, the first Theme Park was Luna Park, at Coney Island, circa 1903. I don't think Steeplechase Park qualified as a Theme Park, although probably Sea Lion Park (which existed before Luna) could take the title. Then you have Dreamland, but that was after LP...

Comment

Originally posted by fjhuerta
                      Hmm. My bet is, the first Theme Park was Luna Park, at Coney Island, circa 1903. I don't think Steeplechase Park qualified as a Theme Park, although probably Sea Lion Park (which existed before Luna) could take the title. Then you have Dreamland, but that was after LP...
                      Those are actually amusement parks, not theme parks.

Comment

Originally posted by bryangharwood
                        Knotts Used To Be Fun Till They Let It Go To Hell With All The Darn Roller Coasters I Loved It When It Was A Cowboy Themed Park Now Its Just Another Lame Six Flags Copy....its Sad Really!
                        Yes, and I miss my Knott's Beary Tales!

Comment

Did Knott's have any rides before DL opened?

Comment

Originally posted by RPH
                            Did Knott's have any rides before DL opened?
                            Yes, The Butterfield Stagecoaches, the Calico Railroad, and some basic kids rides, plus a few ticketed attractions (shows) such as the history fo the Old West opened prior to 1955.

Here is an old Kevin Yee article written back in 2001.

http://www.mouseplanet.com/beyond/bd010627.htm
                            Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Comment

Disneyland is the 1st THEME park. Knotts was an "amuesment" park back in 55'

But in the Disneyland specials, its said that Disneyland is the first "MODERN" theme park.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X