This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monorail Accident In Germany

Not sure this is the correct forum for this, but it should be of interest to Monorail fans.

There was a nasty mag-lev Monorail train accident in Germany today. Many killed.

Video (after the commercial):

http://us.video.aol.com/video.index....pmmsid=1724046

And print news:

http://articles.news.aol.com/news/_a...90011?cid=2194

Re: Monorail Accident In Germany

Saw this on the CNN this morning. I'm sure after this incident their safety protocols will change. Tragic. Monorails are still one of the best ways to travel between destinations.
    Last edited by Alchimedes; 10-16-2006, 09:30 PM. Reason: typo
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Comment

Tragic.
      I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Comment

Disneyland's monorail will not crash because....We have better technology than Germany and the monorail has been opened since 1959. Its never had a major accedent.

Comment

Originally posted by barfownz View Post
          Disneyland's monorail will not crash because....We have better technology than Germany and the monorail has been opened since 1959. Its never had a major accedent.
          While a few of the relatively minor accidents that have happened on Disneyland's Monorail over the years may never have made the newspapers and history books (and were before the internet existed)...I seem to recall there were a few. I think one actually involved the "Tug" train...which is similar to what just happened in Germany.

I don't recall any Guests being injured or involved though. Other than a few "strandings" where they had to be "cherry-picked" out of the trains.

But I certainly do recall the two Monorails that had a low-speed collision at Walt Disney World...and that did make the newspapers!

And I'm not quite so certain that Disneyland's Monorails are of superior technology than what the Germans were testing or would ultimately have on their system (whether it was operating on the day of the crash or not).

So I wouldn't be so quick to say it can never happen at Disneyland. I've seen way, way too many of those "It can never happen" actually happen...to be willing to make those kinds of statements anymore.

All it takes is a terrifying image like this from the recent Alweg Monorail fire up in Seattle...

...to remind one that accidents can never be totally prevented with 100% assurance, and can happen at any time. Often when least expected and often from unexpected sources.

The very reason that Disneyland trains some of its Cast on, and does accident and disaster drills involving the Monorail...is because they know it can happen someday.

History is ripe with "It can never happen" being equated with "Famous last words."
          Last edited by Opus1guy; 09-24-2006, 11:50 PM.

Comment

erm .. the transrapid is a megnetical levitation based monorail.. not running on tires ..
            the major fault was the insane high speed that the transrapid had when the collision happened .. just keep in mind .. the transrapid has an absolute topspeed of 341 mp/h .. not quite the disney speed

the accident hapened at around 105 mp/h ...so just imagine the ftality of a 340mp/h crash

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transrapid

Comment

Originally posted by dolbyman View Post
              erm .. the transrapid is a megnetical levitation based monorail.. not running on tires ..
              the major fault was the insane high speed that the transrapid had when the collision happened .. just keep in mind .. the transrapid has an absolute topspeed of 341 mp/h .. not quite the disney speed

the accident hapened at around 105 mp/h ...so just imagine the ftality of a 340mp/h crash

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transrapid
              Good point.

Comment

The accident was due to human error. Technology likley doesn't play a part.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                Working...
                X