This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California Railroad Museum and Old Sacramento

Last week I had to make a trip up to Sacramento for a hearing in the Bankruptcy Court so I decided to stick around and visit the California Railroad Museum located in Old Sacramento.

For those who haven't visited, Old Sac is a nice little area that has been restored to resemble the Gold Rush era. It's like many touristy areas with lots of tacky shops but it is also worth an afternoon to explore.

One of my favorite places in Old Sacramento is the California State Railroad Museum. The RR was key to the development of the state and it is therefore a subject of great importance to California.

Upon entering the museum you are greeted with a display that dates back to the turn of the 20th century.

The museum features a series of rotating exhibits, one of the current displays is a set of metalwork sculptures all made from train rails and the like.

It's a pretty cool way to enter the museum. Moving further in you come to the first main room, which features one of the oldest displays in the museum, dating back to the Civil War.

You also learn why the Museum is located here.

Moving on you are shown a series of displays on the building of the Transcontiental Railroad, one of the engineering marvels of the 19th century.

Included in this section are several restored engines dating back to that era

People did travel in style, as shown in this vintage private car.

Some really big engines are on display in the next room.

Please forgive the dark shots, this is the last TR with my old camera.

Moving into the 20th century for a while you can tour a restored sleeper and a restored dining car.

It's kind of fun that they have the cars rigged to move like you were on the tracks, makes you feel like you were in a Thin Man movie.

Some pretty nice dinnerware for the trip

The kitchen area and some more displays of dinnerware and a menu with some amazing prices.

Amazing how much food cost back then, those prices are in cents, not dollars.

After the dining and sleeping cars you come to perhaps the best restored engine in the place, and one that dates back 140 yrs.

Another display is an old postal car, dating back to when the USPS used primitive trains and thus was only able to deliver mail 2 or 3 times a day...

Moving upstairs you come to a replica of a railroad trestle, with a full size train along the tracks.

Currently the 2nd floor display exhibit is on toy trains, and the next series of pics are enough to make any kid at heart drool a little bit.

I hope to get more pictures at the Museum on my next trip.

This completes the RR museum part of my trip, but I will be adding pictures of the Discovery Museum and Old Sac in general later today or tomorrow
    Last edited by tiggerfan; 03-14-2007, 10:36 AM.
    ďAny sequel three or higher..... around number five they get a new cast, thatís when the magic really happens": Modern Family

Re: California Railroad Museum and Old Sacramento

Part 2 to come this weekend.
    ďAny sequel three or higher..... around number five they get a new cast, thatís when the magic really happens": Modern Family

Comment

Originally posted by tiggerfan View Post
      Part 2 to come this weekend.
      *taps fingers*
      Good morning, son
      In twenty years from now
      Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
      And I can tell you 'bout today
      And how I picked you up and everything changed
      It was pain
      Sunny days and rain
      I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for sharing. I lived in NorCal all my life (up 'til 2 years ago) and we would visit Old Sac at least once a year.

Did you know that the whole city (Old Sac) used to be 10 feet lower than it is now? It would flood all the time and they decided to raise the buildings etc. so it would be above the flood zone and continue to be the thriving metropolis of it's day.

Comment

I didn't realize I was still homesick until I saw the pictures. Beautiful. Please say you stopped into Stage 9 while you were there. It's one of my favorite stores

Comment

Of course I slipped into Stage 9.

I also had lunch at Johnny Rockets and a snack at the Candy Kitchen

Comment

Yeah, we were just there a few weeks ago ourselves.

And Stage 9 is a must do...

Great report and thanks for posting the pics!

Comment

good report!

i like that place....been there a couple times being a neighbor to the big city :P anyways very nice report and good pics :thumbup:
                "Permane Ser Sentados Por Favor"
                "Watch out for anything that ssssslliittherzzz"
                "Launch control, LV....Go ahead....All video recorders off."

Originally posted by Ride Warrior
                I'm glad that you have an interest concerning postal delivery, mousephreak. We've needed better mail service for some time now. Therefore, with the power vested in me it is of great delight that I dub thee, Head Post Office Dude of Random. Arrise and start licking those stamps! We're backed up, and time is money. :thumbup:
                If you won the lottery what would you do?
                Originally posted by Wally
                Buy a bunch of monkeys and have them re-enact the Civil War for my amusement.

Comment

Fantastic report. Looks like a great place to see
                  HEARTS CLUB !!

Comment

Those were cool trains! Thanks for the report.

Comment

Great report! My kids love trains. Could you actually have lunch on one of the trains still?
                      sigpic
                      Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

Comment

Thanks! I always wanted to go the RR museum. Looks like a fun place!

Comment

One of my favorite parts of the museum's design is a theatre with a very Disneyesque exit. The film screen raises to reveal a glass wall that shows the area where a locomotive is on display, and the guests leave through the doors in this wall.

It's a nice effect.

Comment

I love that Museum. Been there several times. Ward Kimball donated some rolling stock to it.
                            "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

Comment

Thanks for the pictures. My family and I took a "railroad" vacation a few years back and spent several days in the Sacramento area. IMHO, the California Railroad Museum IS the best of it's kind! I hope to see it again soon.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X