Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is sea world a must see for a tourist?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • is sea world a must see for a tourist?

    My wife and kids are planning a road trip to Southern California from Vancouver BC Canada this fall and plan to hit DL for 3 days, Universal, and Knots for a day. Should we head down to sea world? Or is this another trip?

    Kids are 10 -12

  • #2
    Re: is sea world a must see for a tourist?

    Sea World is a substantial drive further (about 3-4 hours from Universal, and 1-2 hours from Disneyland), and on certain days the traffic can delay things even more. If you are going to San Diego anyway, to visit the world class zoo, its museums, the gas lamp district, etc., then I'd say yes, absolutely.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: is sea world a must see for a tourist?

      believe is a pretty cool show (when everything is working). So i would say yes. But do it after everything else

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: is sea world a must see for a tourist?

        Well, if you're into sea animals and such, then definitely.
        If not, then not really.
        But it'd be a good educational experience for the kids.
        Good morning, son
        In twenty years from now
        Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
        And I can tell you 'bout today
        And how I picked you up and everything changed
        It was pain
        Sunny days and rain
        I knew you'd feel the same things...


        sigpic

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: is sea world a must see for a tourist?

          I loved it when I was a kid. It's great to see these amazing animals up close! My favorite was feeding and petting the dolphins.

          I don't know how your kids feel about roller coasters but if there are into big rides. Upside down, downside up, spiraling, huge drops, you should try Six Flag Magic Mountain in Valencia.

          http://www.sixflags.com/magicmountain/

          My best score ever!

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: is sea world a must see for a tourist?

            I think Sea World is a little better than Knotts, although I like the old west town at knotts the log ride and mine ride are cool too, but a lot of the new stuff at knotts kind of sucks IMO.

            "Imagination is more important than knowledge..."
            -Albert Einstein
            sigpic

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: is sea world a must see for a tourist?

              Originally posted by duckiedianne View Post
              I loved it when I was a kid. It's great to see these amazing animals up close! My favorite was feeding and petting the dolphins.

              I don't know how your kids feel about roller coasters but if there are into big rides. Upside down, downside up, spiraling, huge drops, you should try Six Flag Magic Mountain in Valencia.

              http://www.sixflags.com/magicmountain/
              I think that we will make this a must stop as my kids love the big roller coasters.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: is sea world a must see for a tourist?

                No way. Really boring.

                People will say its OK so they feel better for spending the money to get in, but deep down... they know it sucks.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: is sea world a must see for a tourist?

                  I wouldn't go out of my way to visit Sea World but if you are going to visit San Diego anyways it is a good way to spend a day, as Frogberto mentioned above.

                  First time to a Sea World in 1988 next visit wasn't until 1999 and again in 2002 at the one in Orlando and then once in 2001 at San Diego. Though I had a great time when I went I'd be okay with skipping it for another 10 years.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwwdFhJWDK0

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: is sea world a must see for a tourist?

                    Originally posted by jimmy View Post
                    My wife and kids are planning a road trip to Southern California from Vancouver BC Canada this fall and plan to hit DL for 3 days, Universal, and Knots for a day. Should we head down to sea world? Or is this another trip?

                    Kids are 10 -12
                    You could plan a whole trip around San Diego -- in addition to Sea World, there is the Zoo and Wild Animal Park, plus gas light district and all kinds of things to do. I prefer the Zoo and the Park to Sea World, as I think there is more to see.
                    My Livejournal

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: is sea world a must see for a tourist?

                      Please don't visit Sea World. Please don't support animal abuse.

                      FACTS:
                      Average lifespan of a wild dolphin: 23-35 years
                      Average lifespan of a captive dolphin: 7 years

                      Please remember that these animals are not animatronics. They are real thinking feeling creatures - with a complex social structure - that have been kidnapped from their homes and families and forced to perform inane behaviors strictly for profit.

                      As Jacques Cousteau pointed out, observing captive dolphins to learn about dolphin behavior is like observing prisoners in a concentration camp to learn more about human behavior.

                      Please don't support animal abuse.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: is sea world a must see for a tourist?

                        Originally posted by Maui Mike View Post
                        Please don't visit Sea World. Please don't support animal abuse.

                        FACTS:
                        Average lifespan of a wild dolphin: 23-35 years
                        Average lifespan of a captive dolphin: 7 years

                        Please remember that these animals are not animatronics. They are real thinking feeling creatures - with a complex social structure - that have been kidnapped from their homes and families and forced to perform inane behaviors strictly for profit.

                        As Jacques Cousteau pointed out, observing captive dolphins to learn about dolphin behavior is like observing prisoners in a concentration camp to learn more about human behavior.

                        Please don't support animal abuse.
                        you are misrepresenting the data
                        http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/jaap/Survival/Surv_2.htm
                        (the above is a source from the wikipedia page on bottlenose dolphins)
                        also see, from dolphin project.org(a dolphin welfare site):
                        "Just a few examples of mortality statistics provided by members of the animal welfare community:

                        'Orcas can live up to 90 years in the wild. They live an average of only 5.2 years in captivity'


                        'Bottlenose dolphins live up to 45 years in the wild. In captivity, they live an average of about 5 years.'


                        The most obvious problem with these statements, of course, is the fact that they compare maximum life expectancy of wild dolphins with the average lifespan of captive dolphins. Maximum life expectancy and average lifespan are two different values. They can’t be compared as if they were one, and for this reason alone the statistics are misleading."
                        This site does not list life expectancies as a reason to not house dolphin and other marine mammals. They do provide other very compelling reasons. Basically, it is likely that at some point the captive and wild avg. lifespan will be equivalent, and there will still be people against housing these animals. SO if you would like to not patronize Sea World and the like, that is fine, but make a more robust argument than what you have done here.

                        In reality, there is not a huge difference with dolphin's lifespans in captivity. Although Orcas, yes do live shorter lives, though significantly longer than 7 years my friend; usually into their 20's.


                        Personally, without my childhood experiences at Sea World I don't know that I would have the same appreciation for these creatures as I do. I have made the choice to accept certain trade-offs that go along with captive animals. I will leave it up to each person to make his or her own mind up about this.
                        Last edited by Not Quite Cpt Jack; 06-06-2007, 05:53 PM. Reason: to make more thorough
                        Yo ho!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: is sea world a must see for a tourist?

                          Originally posted by Maui Mike View Post
                          FACTS:
                          Average lifespan of a wild dolphin: 23-35 years
                          Average lifespan of a captive dolphin: 7 years
                          If the dolphin is wild, then how would anyone know that it lives 25 to 35 years?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: is sea world a must see for a tourist?

                            More to the point, don't go to San Diego just for Sea World, see EVERYTHING that has been mentioned above, it's a great town that I miss.
                            Yo ho!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: is sea world a must see for a tourist?

                              A good point DisDad this point is made on the welfare site I cited. The data on wild dolphins are estimates, whereas the exact lifespan of many dolphins are known to the minute if born in captivity.
                              Yo ho!

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X