Announcement

Collapse

MiceChat Rules

A list of MiceChat's rules can be found at the top of the Disneyland forum.
See more
See less

Hershey Park made me appreciate Disney all the more!

Collapse

Header Ad

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hershey Park made me appreciate Disney all the more!

I live near Pittsburgh and my family decided to spend a few days near Hershey with some friends. We had been there once before in the eight years we have lived in Pennsylvania. But the last time we went we only hung out at HersheyWorld, took the trolley through town and took a look at the wonderful Hershey Lodge. We did not to into the park. But this time we did.

We met some friends who had been there a number of times. We relied on them to show us around. (Tip: Never rely on others to show you around. Do your research. Study the maps online and decide where you want to go and to get a layout of the land.) Before I go any farther, I do want to say that I realize Milton Hershey did not set out to make Disneyland. Heck, Disney himself was still drawing cartoons when Hershey made it big. He just wanted to create a nice park for his employees to enjoy. Little by little, rides were introduced and an amusement park developed. That is what I have to call it, an amusement park. By no means is this a theme park like Disneyland. It really is like a Six Flags, only with bigger trees. Now don't get me wrong, it is a lovely park, but not up to Disney standards.

Throughout the day, my husband and I could not stop comparing Hershey to DL. I won't get into all the comparisons here, but above all, Disney just does it better. They are Zeus while the others are just minor players. It really made us appreciate how wonderful and magical DL and WDW are.

I don't know if we will be back to Hershey Park any time soon. Although, Hershey World was great. A huge building devoted to the selling of chocolate? Such a dream come true! But when you have sampled the best that the theme park industry has to offer, why settle for anything less?

• Heather Ripley
    replied
    Re: Hershey Park made me appreciate Disney all the more!

I am a theme park/coaster/Disney junkie I have been to parks all over the world. I love Hershey Park. It reminds me of Disney more than any other non Disney theme park. Obviously not on the same scale but it does. It's a beautiful park, the landscaping is always incredible. It has a lot of the same child magical qualities. Yet, it has the great adreneline rides!

I think it is a diservice to say it can't be called a Theme Park. I think it accomplishes this very well. Let's face it, comparing any other park to Disney, there will be an obvious winner. Disney is the best. That's why they are so successful.

Leave a comment:

• Nancywitt
    replied

Originally posted by TicTocDragon View Post
    They just closed the Hershey Plant(In Oakdale, Ca) to move production to Mexico.
    More American jobs lost.
    That's the bad news.
    That stinks, it really does. But did you know that Hershey has had a plant in Mexico since Milton's time? He went down there for the sugar. Built huge factories and even railroads to get the sugar up to the U.S. Others started to copy him. I'm not saying it was the right thing to do, just that he did it so long ago.

If anyone is interested in the Hershey history, a good book to pick up is:

Hershey: Milton S. Hershey's Extraordinary Life of Wealth, Empire, and Utopian Dreams
    Michael D'AntonioFormat: Hardcover
    Pub. Date: January 2006

Leave a comment:

• garbear
    replied

Originally posted by TicTocDragon View Post
    They just closed the Hershey Plant(In Oakdale, Ca) to move production to Mexico.
    More American jobs lost.
    That's the bad news.

The Good news is they are having a sweepstakes for a million bucks. :botox:
    My friends step mom works there or at least worked there.

Leave a comment:

• Alchimedes
    replied

More American jobs lost.
    That's the bad news.

The Good news is they are having a sweepstakes for a million bucks. :botox:

Leave a comment:

• garbear
    replied

Sounds like you had FUN! Great TR

Leave a comment:

• sir clinksalot
    replied

Originally posted by GhostHost2 View Post
    One problem when people compare parks like this to Disney is : not realizing that they have a much smaller budget to work with and also they aren't trying to be a "Disney" park. I haven't been to Hershey Park yet, but I would like to. I would definately take Kings Island, Cedar Point, and Holiday World over DCA. At least those 3 don't fail at what they desire to give guests. I find it funny that when Disney tried to built something more akin to a "seasonal rollercoaster park," they built quite possibly the worst one in the nation, ecspecially when it first opened. And yes I am referring to DCA.
    I don't think that Disney was trying to build a "Seasonal" Disney park with DCA. They were trying for something "Different" which obviously most people didn't like.

As for the worst coaster park in the country? Hardly.

But were getting off-topic again.

Nancy, Great TR. Glad you had fun.

Leave a comment:

• sir clinksalot
    replied

Nancy, Chocolate World was one of our favorites as well. I know they re-did the dark ride since we have been there, I'm interested to see what's changed.

We are tentatively planning on going next June after the kids get out of school.

Leave a comment:

• Nancywitt
    replied

Originally posted by Disneyfan4lyfe View Post
    Nancy was trying to share a fun time she had and a lot of people are just downing it. So how about you people stop complaining about how she said certain things and start complimenting her TR!!!

Great TR! Nancy enjoyed it alot!
    Thank you Disneyfan4lyfe, that was very nice of you to say. It is always good to have people like you in my corner.

My husband and I decided that when we go back to Hershey, we will just go with our little family. It's hard going with another family, you all have to agree on what to do. Believe it or not, our favorite place in the area is Hershey World, tha place that has the dark ride, the 3D show, the trolley ride, "Hershey Kiss Worker" and all the chocolate you could ever imagine all in one place! And we have yet to actually explore the town.

We have had a month or so to rethink our trip, and we will be back. It is only a four hour drive from our house. We will just do things differently this time, and like previous posters have noted, we will try not to compare the park with any other parks out there. Or if we do, we will keep it to ourselves.

Leave a comment:

• Disneyfan4lyfe
    replied

Nancy was trying to share a fun time she had and a lot of people are just downing it. So how about you people stop complaining about how she said certain things and start complimenting her TR!!!

Great TR! Nancy enjoyed it alot!

Leave a comment:

• GhostHost2
    replied

One problem when people compare parks like this to Disney is : not realizing that they have a much smaller budget to work with and also they aren't trying to be a "Disney" park. I haven't been to Hershey Park yet, but I would like to. I would definately take Kings Island, Cedar Point, and Holiday World over DCA. At least those 3 don't fail at what they desire to give guests. I find it funny that when Disney tried to built something more akin to a "seasonal rollercoaster park," they built quite possibly the worst one in the nation, ecspecially when it first opened. And yes I am referring to DCA.

Leave a comment:

• sir clinksalot
    replied

Here are the streetlamps that saddlesore swanson is referring to:

They have ones still in the wrapper, and ones without the wrapper.

Also, did you know the name of the town isn't actually Hershey.

Leave a comment:

• Saddlesore Swanson
    replied

REESE'S PEANUT BUTTERCUPS: Well, the boulevards of Anaheim don't exactly smell like chocolate!

HERSHEY BAR: Yeah, and they ain't got no Hershey Kiss streetlights, either!

Leave a comment:

• Disneyfan4lyfe
    replied

Originally posted by Disney Wrassler View Post
    Thank you for Reese's!! Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!!!!!!

I couldn't agree with you anymore!

Leave a comment:

• Disney Wrassler
    replied

Originally posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    ^ Just for the record, Mr. Hershey didn't make Reese's ... they just acquired it.

Welcome Touchdown, nice to see another Coaster Geek around!!!
    Oh, I know he didn't make it . If I am correct, Reese's joined the family after he died right?

Leave a comment:

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X