Announcement

Collapse

Your Assistance Please

We need your help to battle spammers and also to keep our community user friendly.
PLEASE BE KIND TO OTHERS - Refrain from personal attacks. Avoid politics and harsh language whenever possible. If someone is violating our simple rules, DO NOT confront them, simply report the post.
STOP SPAMMERS - Report the post. DO NOT respond to them.

2017 is a year of renewal for us, we have lots of exciting changes on the way for you, but we don't have time to deal with trolls and spammers. If you find yourself suspended and need to plead your case, you will need to do so after your suspension. We are happy to address your concerns if you made a simple mistake. However, please note that those with a history of bad behavior and pushing our rules to the limit will not be given the courtesy of a reply.

MiceChat offers a number of ways for you to communicate and get involved. We offer Facebook Groups and Pages, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest accounts. We have a front page filled with amazing content. We offer weekly meetups in the parks. Meets and events all over the world. Podcasts and videos. And we continue to maintain forums for your posting convenience. But with all those options, we can't be everywhere all the time. We need YOUR help. Please don't poke the trolls. Report posts and leave reputation. We'll do our best to keep the forums clean and active, but we can't do so without your help.

Thank you for your support folks, it's going to be a really fantastic year in the MiceChat world.
See more
See less

The Renaissance Pleasure Faire in Irwindale is on now (weekends)

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Renaissance Pleasure Faire in Irwindale is on now (weekends)

We've been to this many times, and even though the one in Bristol, Wisconsin, is the best, we've had many excellent days at this one in Irwindale, CA. There are many acts I'm unfamiliar with, but you can check the entertainment schedule on their website, then go to Rea-Faire (online) magazine and look up which acts have won awards in recent years.

I do recommend seeing one or two (different) acts of the Clan Tynker Family Circus. See Moonie's show, Broon's show, then at the end of the day see the raunchier show they do together.

Also don't miss Micechat's own Bog Lurch (Did I get that correct?), with his group Poxy Boggards (sp?) at the R-rated Rogue's Reef.

The beer was so over-priced two or three years ago (Was it $11 that year? It did come own a couple bucks the next year, probably because no one was buying.) that the next year that for the first time in over 30 years I snuck alcohol into an event/place by sticking two little (airplane, single serving sized) bottles in my socks, then mixed them with soft drinks inside the faire. That was a one-time protest. TMI?

I used to teach Shakespeare courses, and I used the ren faires to help my daughter get acclimated with older English, and she's enjoyed half a dozen Shakespeare in the last three years.

Glad you made it out

There were a few new acts out this year with a much more dramatic bent to them - one of the Boggards and his old castmate brought back Faustus, there's been a dedicated "streetcorner Shakespeare" group,things like that - and I love having that flavor back at the faire. We've also had a few limited time returns, groups such as Sound and Fury and others. We also are getting one of the Steampunk Circuit darlings, Steam Powered Giraffe, out for a single show later in the season.

Bristol's our parent company's home faire. They've had an advantage of a more permanent site for the event for some time. I love the Santa Fe Dam for giving us a home and all, but there's always that added "build and tear down everything" that gives it a little less character than 20-30 year old theatrically designed buildings.

Boggard LIEEEEF!

Comment

The SoCal RenFaire is nice, but it can't hold a candle to the one in Tuxedo, NY which has a permanent site. Like BogLurch said, it's so much better with a stable site of permanent structures so it feels lived in and really themed. Also the SoCal one is pretty much a linear march through all the booths, which takes away the exploration and serendipity factors. New York's faire is a real forest and you can go exploring all over the site. It's actually hard to find everything on the first trip. I guess I was spoiled by the one in NY so I couldn't enjoy the SoCal one as much. Such a shame they can't find a permanent site for it, but it's still fun.

Comment

Originally posted by indianajack View Post
        The SoCal RenFaire is nice, but it can't hold a candle to the one in Tuxedo, NY which has a permanent site. Like BogLurch said, it's so much better with a stable site of permanent structures so it feels lived in and really themed. Also the SoCal one is pretty much a linear march through all the booths, which takes away the exploration and serendipity factors. New York's faire is a real forest and you can go exploring all over the site. It's actually hard to find everything on the first trip. I guess I was spoiled by the one in NY so I couldn't enjoy the SoCal one as much. Such a shame they can't find a permanent site for it, but it's still fun.
        RenFaire magazine ranks the fairs. My Wisconsin (Bristol) humility forbids me from sharing which one is consistently voted the best one in the nation. Californians & NYers, maybe explore "flyover country" a little more.

Comment

I have always suspected that the "perfect" faire is the one faire - and frequently the one year or short span of years - where the speaker first really got the bug and became a Rennie (participant or guest, it takes all kinds).

Beyond that, the form has diverged wildly. The RPFS (RPF? RFPS? PRFS? I lose track of what the acronym is this season) is the first and original faire, still tracing a direct line back to the St. George and the Dragon pageant cart in a Valley cul-de-sac. We've drifted to and fro with the vagaries, trends and knowledge of the years but are still primarily a large improvisational theatre event with some scripted shows and a middling focus on history. Other faires? Many are more - or even completely - scripted to the point of handing out schedules on what gig you see where to get the 'full' storyline. Some tend more towards fantasy, to the point where "Renaissance" is usually stripped from the name and concept. Some go more historical. Tuxedo - owned by the same company that owns my faire AND Bristol, so your money's all going to the same place in the end - started out with a strong theatrical bent including full Shakespeare productions with the rest of the faire subservient to that goal, and has shifted radically since then.

It's all a matter of taste. Until you get the hobby into your blood, in which case it's all life or death calls where one poster's opinion turns into a killing statement. You know, just like Disney fans
          Boggard LIEEEEF!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X