X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: IoA at night pics

Originally posted by DisneyMickey View Post
    It's like Universal's own version of DisneySea. Except it's more film based.
    And not as elaborate.
    Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

Comment

Apparently, patches of detailed theming disbursed between stretches of empty space = elaborate.

Comment

The park is lighted very nicely. what a beautiful set of photographs. thanx :thumbup: for sharing.
        My Web Site - RedBubble Site

Comment

Originally posted by JtnOrl View Post
          Apparently, patches of detailed theming disbursed between stretches of empty space = elaborate.
          DisneySea or Islands of Adventure?

Comment

If you're talking about DisneySea, then you couldn't be more wrong. There are no stretches of empty space at the park at all. In fact, everything is closely packed together not unlike Disneyland. And trust me, having been to both several times, there's no doubt that DisneySea is much more elaborate than Islands of Adventure.

Sorry Baghira, didn't mean to drag your thread off topic. Very nice pictures, and I must say that Islands of Adventure is still my favorite non-Disney park.

Comment

Islands of Adventure just seems like a spin off idea of DisneySea. The DisneySea concept was around way before IOA and if memory serves me right, a lot of Imagineers were hired to work on IOA at a time when Disney was aiming its own bombs at Imagineering.

As for the argument regarding DisneySea as inferior to IOA, I don't see how IOA is any better. IOA is a bunch of movie themes strung together that are labeled as islands. DisneySea is based around nautical exploration that has a wonderful mystique to it. To label DisneySea as a patch of themes without any real substance is stretching it. I don't see how IOA improves over DisneySea in any way.

Both are wonderful parks, but DisneySea seems more original to me.
              Last edited by DisneyMickey; 12-01-2007, 06:41 PM.

Comment

DisneySea is based around nautical exploration that has a wonderful mystique to it.
                Spot on! And DisneySea has a more elegant and classier atmosphere to it as well, compared to the sometimes cheesy and tacky feel at Islands of Adventure.

Comment

Wow I start a thread to share night pics of IoA with those who've never had the chance to see/ expierience the park at night, and now look at the turn it's taken.
                  Man oh man, the petty bickering about parks just never gets old.

Comment

We couldn't resist.

Comment

yes, there's no reason to bring all that into this thread. IOA and Universal are absolutely beautiful at night. Lets just keep the thread to that discussion.

Thanks for these as I haven't seen Universal at night since I was about 15, so almost 15 years ago. I really miss the old Dynamite Stunt Spectacular show.

Comment

Originally posted by TDR_Fan View Post
                        If you're talking about DisneySea, then you couldn't be more wrong. There are no stretches of empty space at the park at all. In fact, everything is closely packed together not unlike Disneyland.
                        I'm obviously not going to sway your opinion on the matter, but I stand by my comment. The park is much larger than it needed to be. The theming does not enclose you like it does at Disneyland or IOA and there are obvious dead spaces.

Islands of Adventure just seems like a spin off idea of DisneySea. The DisneySea concept was around way before IOA and if memory serves me right, a lot of Imagineers were hired to work on IOA at a time when Disney was aiming its own bombs at Imagineering.
                        IOA had been in development ever since Universal finished the first phase of their Orlando property in 1990. It also opened a full two years before DisneySea did. Your "spin off" theory holds no weight.

IOA is a bunch of movie themes strung together that are labeled as islands.
                        What are you talking about? IOA doesn't have a single movie theme. It's a park based on literature. It would be silly to have TWO movie parks at the same resort.

Comment

I'm obviously not going to sway your opinion on the matter, but I stand by my comment. The park is much larger than it needed to be. The theming does not enclose you like it does at Disneyland or IOA and there are obvious dead spaces.
                          Care to enlighten me, as I saw no dead spaces other than transitional pathways from port of call to port of call. And even then, they're hardly bare or empty. Just curious if you have actually visited the park in person, as from your comments, it seems as though you are judging from pictures. I've been to the park several times now, explorered nearly every corner, and nothing has ever stood out to me more than any spot in Disneyland or Islands of Adventure as being empty.

And I disagree that it was much larger than it needed to be. They crammed a lot of visual detail into that space, making use of extreme forced perspective and such to make things appear bigger than they actually are. In terms of elaborate theming, attention to detail and immersion, it far surpasses Islands of Adventure and any other Disney park.
                          Last edited by TDR_Fan; 12-03-2007, 01:09 AM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Originally posted by Baghira View Post
                            Wow I start a thread to share night pics of IoA with those who've never had the chance to see/ expierience the park at night, and now look at the turn it's taken.
                            Man oh man, the petty bickering about parks just never gets old.
                            Well, I just took a look-see at your nightime IOA photos. I've got to tell you that they are absolutely breathtaking. IOA is indeed a beautiful spectacle in all of it's lit up slendor and detail. Thank you for all of your hard work in creating this thread.

Personally, I feel that IOA is more of a modern version of Disneyland. Whereas DisneySeas is the first ever park with a dominant nautical theme. Both theme parks are equally immersive, immaginative, thrilling, classy, cozy and unique. Don't think that an inch of space has gone to waste either.

DisneySea has been more commercially successrul of late. However, the Wizzarding World of Harry Potter is coming to IOA in 2009 - IOA's 10th anniversary. Also, Universal is a separate company and the only one really going toe to toe with Disney in competition. WDW has been copying every new concept that has proven commercially successful Univeral/IOA. It's kind of unfair. I hope that Potter knocks the socks off of WDW.

I love DisneySea so much that I hope that it expands. IOA will be expanding onto unused property when theyb build the Potter Island - a theme patk within a theme park. I consider Walt's original disneyland to be just as vibrant at night as DsneySea and IOA.
                            To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Comment

Originally posted by TDR_Fan View Post
                              Care to enlighten me, as I saw no dead spaces other than transitional pathways from port of call to port of call. And even then, they're hardly bare or empty. Just curious if you have actually visited the park in person, as from your comments, it seems as though you are judging from pictures. I've been to the park several times now, explorered nearly every corner, and nothing has ever stood out to me more than any spot in Disneyland or Islands of Adventure as being empty.

And I disagree that it was much larger than it needed to be. They crammed a lot of visual detail into that space, making use of extreme forced perspective and such to make things appear bigger than they actually are. In terms of elaborate theming, attention to detail and immersion, it far surpasses Islands of Adventure and any other Disney park.
                              Islands of Adventure and Disney parks have nothing over DisneySea. Thst's for sure. Just because DisneySea is on another continent doesn't make it inferior. The Oriental Land Company spared no expense in designing a world class park - and hired top Disney imagineers to do so. Universal also hired top Disney imagineers to design IOA - hired them away from the Mouse. So, each park was created by the same caliber of people. We all need to celebrate - nor quible.

You can't blame TDR_Fan for being proud of DisneySea anymore than you can blame Baghira for being high on IOA. I'd say that each of you are quite admirable.
                              Last edited by Ride Warrior; 12-03-2007, 01:06 PM.
                              To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Comment

Originally posted by Ride Warrior View Post
                                Islands of Adventure and Disney parks have nothing over DisneySea. Thst's for sure. Just because DisneySea is on another continent doesn't make it inferior. The orintal land Company spared no expense in designing a world class park - and hired top Disney imagineers to do so. Universal also hired top Dusney imagineers to design IOA - hired them away from the Mouse. So, each park was created by the same caliber of people. We all need to celebrate - nor quible.

You can't blame TDR_Fan for being proud of DisneySea anymore than you can blame Baghira for being high on his. I'd say that each of you are quite admirable.
                                Well said! :thumbup: The two parks, although mildy similar in layout and design, are far too different to compare. Tokyo DisneySea cost over $4 billion compared to $2 billion for Islands of Adventure, and it would not be fair to compare two parks with largely different budgets. Although I do believe that Tokyo DisneySea's captures its central theme of exploration and adventure better than Islands of Adventure.

Comment

What are you talking about? IOA doesn't have a single movie theme. It's a park based on literature. It would be silly to have TWO movie parks at the same resort.
                                  Just to clarify a bit, IOA did open with a land based entirely off of Jurassic Park. With all of the movies that have come out since the park opened (X-Men, Spiderman, Hulk, one could evern argue Cat in the Hat), the park has unintentionally become a sort of movie park. However, it is still drastically different than USF.

Comment

Originally posted by kirbilicious View Post
                                    Just to clarify a bit, IOA did open with a land based entirely off of Jurassic Park.
                                    Which was a novel before it was a film. Like I said before, IOA's main theme is literature. Anyone who actually goes to the park should be able to tell all of it's attractions are based on the properties in their original forms. The movies that have been released since the park's opening don't change anything.
                                    Last edited by JtnOrl; 12-05-2007, 04:53 AM.

Comment

While technically Jurassic Park is based off of the book, all of the designs from the arches to the center came straight from the designs in the movie so I think you could go either way on this one while I understand the intent is to be from the book.

Comment

Islands of Adventure and Disney parks have nothing over DisneySea. Thst's for sure. Just because DisneySea is on another continent doesn't make it inferior. The Oriental Land Company spared no expense in designing a world class park - and hired top Disney imagineers to do so. Universal also hired top Disney imagineers to design IOA - hired them away from the Mouse. So, each park was created by the same caliber of people. We all need to celebrate - nor quible.

You can't blame TDR_Fan for being proud of DisneySea anymore than you can blame Baghira for being high on IOA. I'd say that each of you are quite admirable.
                                        I surrender. There is just a rivalry to which theme park is better. I guess it comes down to who and what you prefer.

Comment

WDW has been copying every new concept that has proven commercially successful Univeral/IOA. It's kind of unfair. I hope that Potter knocks the socks off of WDW.
                                          Has WDW really been stealing concepts? Enlighten me, I would like to know (I don't mean that in a smart *** tone).

I always got a kick out of Universal's "Compare to Disney" they have on their webpage. It makes them look bad and a little desperate. Some of it so distorted too. In fact, I have always found Universal's marketing as a desperate try to jab Disney. Disney on the other hand, has never really marketed the resort by making jabs at Universal or comparing themselves to Universal on their website or in their commercials.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X