Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

See "Blackfish" before going to SeaWorld

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [Review] See "Blackfish" before going to SeaWorld

    Here's a Metacritic link to reviews of a documentary I saw today, "Blackfish," about orcas at SeaWorld:

    Blackfish Reviews - Metacritic

    While sea parks can create empathy for animals and inspire kids to learn more, I will probably not go to SeaWorld again after having seen this film.

    Here's an L.A. Times editorial inspired by "Blackfish": http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/...,6263962.story
    Last edited by jcruise86; 08-03-2013, 09:31 PM. Reason: To add "again" since I've been to the SD&Orlando parks

  • #2
    Re: See "Blackfish" before going to SeaWorld

    I will simply say I disagree, and that factually BlackFish is on very shaky ground. We are putting out Episode 9 of the Unofficial SeaWorld Podcast tonight that will be handling our coverage of BlackFish along with factual errors, omissions, and untruths.

    While I understand the concern, and how people want to help the Orcas, they miss the bigger issue of protecting our Oceans long term.

    I will let our podcast episode do most of the talking once I am done editing it.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: See "Blackfish" before going to SeaWorld

      Originally posted by KingEric View Post
      I will simply say I disagree, and that factually BlackFish is on very shaky ground. We are putting out Episode 9 of the Unofficial SeaWorld Podcast tonight that will be handling our coverage of BlackFish along with factual errors, omissions, and untruths.

      While I understand the concern, and how people want to help the Orcas, they miss the bigger issue of protecting our Oceans long term.

      I will let our podcast episode do most of the talking once I am done editing it.
      Eric, did you see "Blackfish"?

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: See "Blackfish" before going to SeaWorld

        SeaWorld responded to the documentary, and the filmmakers responded to that. Link:

        SeaWorld Unleashes 8 Assertions About 'Blackfish' and Filmmakers Respond | Filmmakers, Film Industry, Film Festivals, Awards & Movie Reviews | Indiewire
        Last edited by jcruise86; 08-04-2013, 07:52 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: See "Blackfish" before going to SeaWorld

          Originally posted by jcruise86 View Post
          Here's a Metacritic link to reviews of a documentary I saw today, "Blackfish," about orcas at SeaWorld:

          Blackfish Reviews - Metacritic

          While sea parks can create empathy for animals and inspire kids to learn more, I will probably not go to SeaWorld again after having seen this film.

          Here's an L.A. Times editorial inspired by "Blackfish": End the killer whale circus - latimes.com
          Just wondering, what specifically about the film causes you to not want to go to Sea World again?
          Havent seen it yet.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: See "Blackfish" before going to SeaWorld

            Originally posted by jcruise86 View Post
            Here's a Metacritic link to reviews of a documentary I saw today, "Blackfish," about orcas at SeaWorld:

            Blackfish Reviews - Metacritic

            While sea parks can create empathy for animals and inspire kids to learn more, I will probably not go to SeaWorld again after having seen this film.

            Here's an L.A. Times editorial inspired by "Blackfish": End the killer whale circus - latimes.com
            Amen to this statement.
            ...

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: See "Blackfish" before going to SeaWorld

              Note that the film does not provide the dates of their employment, so we cannot evaluate their claims against the state of Sea World's policies at a particular time, and how those policies might have changed. However, the precise problem is that we are not dealing with creatures whose instincts override all other considerations. Whales have memory, personality, creativity ... what philosophers would call subjectivity. But this complexity means that in terms of human intervention in their lives, we cannot simply turn back the clock. We are in this. Sea World can and should do more. (Tilikum, for example, should have a large retirement tank. He is no doubt in shows again not because the company is callous but because they have nothing else to do with him.) But closing Sea World, whose overall record for animal care is exemplary, will accomplish little. Blackfish is a deeply frustrating documentary precisely because it addresses a compound tragedy — trainer deaths, whales in crisis, a dark history and an uncertain future — and poses only pat, comforting answers. I think the film uses impractical and cold "serial killer" psychology to describe Tilikum, which is totally unnecessary and only for dramatic effect.
              Amnesia used to be my favourite word, but I forgot it.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: See "Blackfish" before going to SeaWorld

                I found "Blackfish" terrific, absolutely spellbinding. Exprmnt626 and I must have seen different movies, because the one I saw certainly didn't describe Tilikum as a "serial killer," and it absolutely gave SeaWorld every chance to participate, to lend its voice and to show filmmakers where they were wrong. Time magazine has a very good perspective on the film in last week's issue.

                For theme park fans, "Blackfish" IS very troubling. You will be left feeling deeply conflicted (at the very least) about going to SeaWorld again, and a lot of the "magic" of theme parks will be erased for you.

                But it is an incredibly worthy film.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: See "Blackfish" before going to SeaWorld

                  "I've been expecting somebody to get killed by Tilikum"
                  "It didn't just happen; it's not a singular event. You have to go back in time to understand this."
                  "We would store them in what we called night boxes. It probably led to what I think of as a psychosis"
                  "All whales in captivity are all psychologically traumatized."


                  you were saying?
                  Amnesia used to be my favourite word, but I forgot it.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: See "Blackfish" before going to SeaWorld

                    Originally posted by Exprmnt626 View Post
                    Note that the film does not provide the dates of their employment, so we cannot evaluate their claims against the state of Sea World's policies at a particular time, and how those policies might have changed. However, the precise problem is that we are not dealing with creatures whose instincts override all other considerations. Whales have memory, personality, creativity ... what philosophers would call subjectivity. But this complexity means that in terms of human intervention in their lives, we cannot simply turn back the clock. We are in this. Sea World can and should do more. (Tilikum, for example, should have a large retirement tank. He is no doubt in shows again not because the company is callous but because they have nothing else to do with him.) But closing Sea World, whose overall record for animal care is exemplary, will accomplish little. Blackfish is a deeply frustrating documentary precisely because it addresses a compound tragedy — trainer deaths, whales in crisis, a dark history and an uncertain future — and poses only pat, comforting answers. I think the film uses impractical and cold "serial killer" psychology to describe Tilikum, which is totally unnecessary and only for dramatic effect.
                    No reason to close Sea World, but no reason to keep breeding them in captivity, keeps the ones currently, just no more breeding, once the current population has passed away, no more whales.

                    Gives Sea Word time to redevelop itself into a park without whales, if they did it right, people would continue to go.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: See "Blackfish" before going to SeaWorld

                      I would suggest that everyone listen to Episode 9 of the Unofficial SeaWorld Podcast where go back in time long before Orcas were on public display.

                      MiceChat - Features, Orlando Parkhopper, Podcasts, The Unofficial SeaWorld Podcast - The Unofficial SeaWorld Podcast takes on BlackFish and goes behind the scenes at Antarctica

                      direct download link http://bit.ly/1cpZaUW

                      Our love for Orca's did not happen over night. They were feared and hunted, and killed as animals who interfered with fishing.

                      SeaWorld has done an incredible job creating awareness, sympathy and love for the entire species.

                      Looking specifically at the animals in SeaWorld's care...

                      Tilikum the whale that the movie spotlights...

                      Was Caught by a Canadian theme park.

                      Was kept by a Canadian theme park.

                      AFTER a tragic accident... SeaWorld buys Tilikum and in essence rescues him.

                      SeaWorld improves his quality of life.

                      SeaWorld improves his diet.

                      SeaWorld improves his habitat.

                      SeaWorld rescued Tilikum and improved his life.

                      While this 12,000 lbs animal might be responsible for 3 Deaths over the 30+ years he has been in captivity.

                      If Tilikum was really a "CRAZED KILLER, who has been demented and tormented on his surroundings" he would kill a lot more often that once every 10 years.

                      Instead, what you are seeing is that after THOUSANDS of personal interactions with this animal, he unfortunately is still a WILD animal, and he is 12,000 pounds, so any error or accident with the animals behavior sadly can and has been fatal for those people.

                      But again. If he was INSANE. And Psychotic, the body count would be insanely higher, especially with the incredible amount of interaction that people have had with Tilikum over the past 30+ years.

                      So again. I applaud SeaWorld, and I am disgusted by a "documentary" that is a "psychological thriller"

                      No documentary should ever be a "thriller" if it is done without bias.
                      Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: See "Blackfish" before going to SeaWorld

                        Pixar is changing the ending of "Finding Dory" because of "Blackfish":

                        Hicks: Pixar changing 'Finding Dory' script after execs see orca film - San Jose Mercury News

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: See "Blackfish" before going to SeaWorld

                          Originally posted by EC82 View Post
                          I found "Blackfish" terrific, absolutely spellbinding. Exprmnt626 and I must have seen different movies, because the one I saw certainly didn't describe Tilikum as a "serial killer," and it absolutely gave SeaWorld every chance to participate, to lend its voice and to show filmmakers where they were wrong. Time magazine has a very good perspective on the film in last week's issue.

                          For theme park fans, "Blackfish" IS very troubling. You will be left feeling deeply conflicted (at the very least) about going to SeaWorld again, and a lot of the "magic" of theme parks will be erased for you.

                          But it is an incredibly worthy film.
                          Good post, EC82. Apparently Pixar was moved by it too.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: See "Blackfish" before going to SeaWorld

                            Originally posted by KingEric View Post
                            I will simply say I disagree, and that factually BlackFish is on very shaky ground. We are putting out Episode 9 of the Unofficial SeaWorld Podcast tonight that will be handling our coverage of BlackFish along with factual errors, omissions, and untruths.

                            While I understand the concern, and how people want to help the Orcas, they miss the bigger issue of protecting our Oceans long term.

                            I will let our podcast episode do most of the talking once I am done editing it.
                            While I have not seen the film.....I still don't like the idea of putting Big Animals in big pools and forcing them to do tricks. They are really smart animals and while I know the people there want to help the animals...I'd just wish we could cut the shows and let the whales swim in a huge fake ocean in stead doing as they please
                            Happy Halloween!!!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: See "Blackfish" before going to SeaWorld

                              This is the one and only statement I will make on this subject. I will not respond further to this because I feel everything I've needed to say can be found in our podcast on this subject.

                              While I agree that animals in captivity as a general rule is not desirable or probably the best thing for them, I recognize that human beings are quickly poisoning our world, killing off entire species and destroying their habitat.

                              Our oceans are dying.

                              Many aquatic species, such as river dolphins, are either extinct or quickly will be.

                              SeaWorld is one of the best organizations out there to bring awareness to people what magnificent and wonderful creatures are present in our oceans, and makes people feel compassionate towards them. SeaWorld has also rescued thousands of marine creatures, returning them to the wild, and continues to do so. For these reasons alone, I support SeaWorld and will continue to do so.

                              Until someone comes up with a plan to help people connect with marine life on a massive and incredibly emotional scale such as SeaWorld does, (other than the ridiculous responses I've seen so far such as, "watch youtube videos" or "take everyone on whale tours"...can you imagine taking all six billion + of this planets citizens on whale watching tours? Yeah, neither can I) I cannot condone or even understand the vicious attacks that are done on this organization. I have seen again and again people villainizing SeaWorld because it is a 'for profit' entity. This is silly, saying that just because an organization makes a profit its intentions must be nefarious, just as silly as assuming because something is non-profit makes that organization benevolent.

                              I judge anyone and anything by the sum total of its actions. Not by individual acts or isolated incidents.

                              SeaWorld has proven over and over it has the best of intentions in what it does and wants to do for animals, our oceans and our planet. This is what I judge SeaWorld by.

                              Thank you for your attention.

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Re: See "Blackfish" before going to SeaWorld

                                Bravo Creepy Monkey. I echo that 100%
                                Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Re: See "Blackfish" before going to SeaWorld

                                  Originally posted by CreepyMonkey View Post
                                  This is the one and only statement I will make on this subject. I will not respond further to this because I feel everything I've needed to say can be found in our podcast on this subject.

                                  While I agree that animals in captivity as a general rule is not desirable or probably the best thing for them, I recognize that human beings are quickly poisoning our world, killing off entire species and destroying their habitat.

                                  Our oceans are dying.

                                  Many aquatic species, such as river dolphins, are either extinct or quickly will be.

                                  SeaWorld is one of the best organizations out there to bring awareness to people what magnificent and wonderful creatures are present in our oceans, and makes people feel compassionate towards them. SeaWorld has also rescued thousands of marine creatures, returning them to the wild, and continues to do so. For these reasons alone, I support SeaWorld and will continue to do so.

                                  Until someone comes up with a plan to help people connect with marine life on a massive and incredibly emotional scale such as SeaWorld does, (other than the ridiculous responses I've seen so far such as, "watch youtube videos" or "take everyone on whale tours"...can you imagine taking all six billion + of this planets citizens on whale watching tours? Yeah, neither can I) I cannot condone or even understand the vicious attacks that are done on this organization. I have seen again and again people villainizing SeaWorld because it is a 'for profit' entity. This is silly, saying that just because an organization makes a profit its intentions must be nefarious, just as silly as assuming because something is non-profit makes that organization benevolent.

                                  I judge anyone and anything by the sum total of its actions. Not by individual acts or isolated incidents.

                                  SeaWorld has proven over and over it has the best of intentions in what it does and wants to do for animals, our oceans and our planet. This is what I judge SeaWorld by.

                                  Thank you for your attention.
                                  Great post, Creepy Monkey! On a Disney Cruise in Alaska this summer, Orcas were the creatures I most wanted to see, partly because of a connection I have with them that was born at Sea World. So ironically, Sea World caused me to have an emotional reaction to the documentary that argues against Sea World's treatment of killer whales. And I wonder, if Sea World does get rid of orca shows, will other dolphin and seal shows be next? Will Universal be attacked for having their excellent dog & cat shows, and will zoos be boycotted for bird shows? I do want Sea World to change, but even I'm conflicted about what the changes should be.

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Re: See "Blackfish" before going to SeaWorld

                                    Originally posted by jcruise86 View Post
                                    Great post, Creepy Monkey! On a Disney Cruise in Alaska this summer, Orcas were the creatures I most wanted to see, partly because of a connection I have with them that was born at Sea World. So ironically, Sea World caused me to have an emotional reaction to the documentary that argues against Sea World's treatment of killer whales. And I wonder, if Sea World does get rid of orca shows, will other dolphin and seal shows be next? Will Universal be attacked for having their excellent dog & cat shows, and will zoos be boycotted for bird shows? I do want Sea World to change, but even I'm conflicted about what the changes should be.
                                    This is an excellent point. Part of what bothers me so much when Sea World is attacked by people that care so much about the killer whales (which is a good thing) is that I don't know where you draw the line. People think of orcas as these magical, supremely intellectual creatures. Are they super smart? Yes. But so are dolphins. So are sea lions. So are pigs. So are elephants. So are cuttlefish. The list of amazingly smart animals goes on and on, yet dolphins and killer whales have this exceptional quality that often gets attached to them. I personally don't see how Sea World is any different than any zoo with captive animals (although I am confident that Sea World's level of care are far superior to most). Sea World is for profit but so are many zoos. I think what is hard to swallow is the initial capture of these animals. I also think that the larger the animal, the harder it is to observe a capture (as seen in Blackfish). I guess my point is that if someone thinks killer whales don't belong in captivity, do any animals? Do pets? Why is it that Sea World, who is known for exceptional animal care take more heat than other zoos, circuses, labs that test on animals, or even below average pet owners where the standards are far inferior or even non-existent?

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Re: See "Blackfish" before going to SeaWorld

                                      Originally posted by Amber View Post
                                      I guess my point is that if someone thinks killer whales don't belong in captivity, do any animals? Do pets?
                                      This reminds me of a part of Denis Leary's comedy routine. In it he lines up all the animals and has then justify themselves. It essentially goes like this (bad summary below)

                                      "I'm a otter. I do cute human things with my hands" "Aw, you go free."
                                      "I'm a dolphin, I am so smart and cute." "Aw, you go free"
                                      I'm a cow." "You're delicious. Get in the truck."

                                      So, which is it? We can't have it both ways. 1) Animal captivity is wrong and should be abolished for all creatures, from large zoo animals to fuzzy puppies and cute little kitties in our homes to farm animals raised for food. or 2) There are totally justifiable reasons for these captivity programs; some for the betterment of our lives, some for our education and others for our nutritional needs.

                                      And those of you who are so passionate about the health and welfare of the captive whales... are you vegans? Corporate farm animals raised for protein production and byproducts (cheese, eggs, etc) often live their lives in much worse conditions than those whales.

                                      Before you ask, I am an omnivore who does their best to eat free range, quickly and thoughtfully slaughtered animals and byproducts from local farms where I can see how the animals are treated.
                                      sigpic
                                      ​I'm blogging here again!

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Re: See "Blackfish" before going to SeaWorld

                                        Originally posted by KingEric View Post
                                        I will simply say I disagree, and that factually BlackFish is on very shaky ground. We are putting out Episode 9 of the Unofficial SeaWorld Podcast tonight that will be handling our coverage of BlackFish along with factual errors, omissions, and untruths.

                                        While I understand the concern, and how people want to help the Orcas, they miss the bigger issue of protecting our Oceans long term.

                                        I will let our podcast episode do most of the talking once I am done editing it.
                                        There are A LOT of twisted truths in this film, especially about the "attack". The movie to me was nothing more than a reason for Ex-Sea World employees to get back at their former employer. Where were the REAL Sea/Marine Life experts in the film? Nowhere. Did the film mention the conservation and preservation efforts that SeaWorld put fourth each and every day? Nope, why would it? It's made to spew and conjure controversy for no real reason because people eat that crap up like there is no tomorrow. Look at all these "anti-SeaWorld" activist groups consisting of people who have clearly never stepped a single foot in any of the parks. People need to open their eyes. Watching a movie doesn't make you an activist, in fact a movie should be THE LAST thing on earth that inspires activism.

                                        Comment

                                        Get Away Today Footer

                                        Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X