Announcement

Collapse

Your Assistance Please

We need your help to battle spammers and also to keep our community user friendly.
PLEASE BE KIND TO OTHERS - Refrain from personal attacks. Avoid politics and harsh language whenever possible. If someone is violating our simple rules, DO NOT confront them, simply report the post.
STOP SPAMMERS - Report the post. DO NOT respond to them.

2017 is a year of renewal for us, we have lots of exciting changes on the way for you, but we don't have time to deal with trolls and spammers. If you find yourself suspended and need to plead your case, you will need to do so after your suspension. We are happy to address your concerns if you made a simple mistake. However, please note that those with a history of bad behavior and pushing our rules to the limit will not be given the courtesy of a reply.

MiceChat offers a number of ways for you to communicate and get involved. We offer Facebook Groups and Pages, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest accounts. We have a front page filled with amazing content. We offer weekly meetups in the parks. Meets and events all over the world. Podcasts and videos. And we continue to maintain forums for your posting convenience. But with all those options, we can't be everywhere all the time. We need YOUR help. Please don't poke the trolls. Report posts and leave reputation. We'll do our best to keep the forums clean and active, but we can't do so without your help.

Thank you for your support folks, it's going to be a really fantastic year in the MiceChat world.
See more
See less

Ocean Explorer, Orca Encounter coming to SeaWorld in 2017

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ocean Explorer, Orca Encounter coming to SeaWorld in 2017

http://www.10news.com/news/ocean-exp...aworld-in-2017

SAN DIEGO -- As it looks to revamp its image following the fallout from the Blackfish documentary, SeaWorld released more details Tuesday on two new attractions will be coming to its San Diego park in 2017, all part of a $175 million capital investment at all three of its parks.

The new attractions are Ocean Explorer and Orca Encounter. SeaWorldCares released new renderings of both today.

Ocean Explorer will be a three-acre area that includes “multiple aquariums, exciting rides and digital technology.”

Its major attraction will be Submarine Quest, which will allow guests to travel aboard mini submarines to view undersea animals. IT will have a several undersea research bases “housing specially-designed aquariums and interactive activities displaying unique as well as elusive ocean animals like giant octopuses, huge spider crabs and dozens of moray eels.”

The Orca Encounter program will focus on “natural orca encounters,” as opposed to “theatrical shows.”

“The new Orca Encounter will be based on killer whale behavior in the wild: what they eat, how they hunt, how they navigate and how they communicate, helping guests gain a deeper appreciation and respect for the orcas,” SeaWorld said.

Happy Halloween!!!

Any ideas where this is going? It looks like the Orca Encounter and the Ocean Explorer projects are two separate entities with the former being a refurbishment and "plussing" of the current Shamu Stadium in the lower left of the park. I think this is a good move for the park, I mean I think it's time for SeaWorld to lean more heavily on attractions to get their point across and to attract guests. I think in some ways it's somewhat sad that this particular "era" of SeaWorld is coming to a close, but it's also a chance to start a new one that is more attraction based like Disneyland or Knott's but with the overarching Ocean Theme (almost along the lines of Animal Kingdom). To bring in the Submarine ride and what looks like a Wave Swinger, along with some other flat rides is bringing more attractions to park that I think needs some, it's a good sign that the park is shifting gears.
    "Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
    "The Gods have been angered by all the celebratin'..."

Comment

Originally posted by TFN5459 View Post
      Any ideas where this is going? It looks like the Orca Encounter and the Ocean Explorer projects are two separate entities with the former being a refurbishment and "plussing" of the current Shamu Stadium in the lower left of the park. I think this is a good move for the park, I mean I think it's time for SeaWorld to lean more heavily on attractions to get their point across and to attract guests. I think in some ways it's somewhat sad that this particular "era" of SeaWorld is coming to a close, but it's also a chance to start a new one that is more attraction based like Disneyland or Knott's but with the overarching Ocean Theme (almost along the lines of Animal Kingdom). To bring in the Submarine ride and what looks like a Wave Swinger, along with some other flat rides is bringing more attractions to park that I think needs some, it's a good sign that the park is shifting gears.
      Sadly I have not be there in years so I have no clue where it will be going but....I know the new area has me interesting in coming back next summer
      Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

I think SEA WORLD is going right direction, for the parks...... Ocean Explorer projects looks Great
        Last edited by Eagleman; 11-14-2016, 05:21 PM.
        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

This will be an interesting time for SeaWorld. With the end of the killer whale shows, more attractions will definitely come. Still those SD NIMBYs are a pretty vocal bunch so I doubt we'd see anything on the scale of Mako, Manta or Kraken.

Comment

Fancy that...Electric Eel launch coaster at 150 feet has been announced for 2018

Comment

Originally posted by SpoonCM View Post
              Fancy that...Electric Eel launch coaster at 150 feet has been announced for 2018
              I think this looks pretty boring compared to the rest of the announcements. They already have a launch coaster in Manta (even if it's nothing like it's east coast counterpart like the Tower or Terror comparison) and it looks just like it's an off the shelf model matching the Batman and Superman coasters at the Six Flag Parks. I hope the theming is at least decent. and at best to me would be like Goofy's Sky School a lightly themed off the shelf attraction.

Comment

Why are they announcing this now? It doesn't sound like it's a very large coaster that would take long to construct. Most parks announce these kinds of things after the summer season is over.

Comment

Originally posted by TFN5459 View Post

I think this looks pretty boring compared to the rest of the announcements. They already have a launch coaster in Manta (even if it's nothing like it's east coast counterpart like the Tower or Terror comparison) and it looks just like it's an off the shelf model matching the Batman and Superman coasters at the Six Flag Parks. I hope the theming is at least decent. and at best to me would be like Goofy's Sky School a lightly themed off the shelf attraction.
                  I'd doubt we'd ever see a B&M in San Diego. Nothing that huge would get past the Coastal Commission. With limited land and land use restrictions, compact launch coasters fit the bill for Sea World.

Comment

Originally posted by SpoonCM View Post

I'd doubt we'd ever see a B&M in San Diego. Nothing that huge would get past the Coastal Commission. With limited land and land use restrictions, compact launch coasters fit the bill for Sea World.
                    That's true, I guess I wasn't taking into account the footprint of the whole thing. The height will still be pretty high though since it has a pretty "small" horizontal footprint, I imagine a new feature in the skyline of Seaworld next to the Sky Tower, Sky Ride, and Atlantis.

Comment

Dam...well I'll wait for 2018 then and see what they have then. Looks like there will be a few new things for me to see since the last time I went when Manta opened
                      Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X