Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Ad Blockers

Please do not use ad blocking software when visiting MiceChat. It costs money to keep MiceChat online, and ad revenue offsets this. Thank you.
2 of 2 < >

Registration Policy

In order to eliminate SPAM, all new users must verify their email. Once the email address is verified, we make sure your IP address is not a VPN, proxy, or tor exit node. If you have tried to register and it was not approved, please send an email to administrator@micechat.com. We will try to resolve the issue and then you can try again. Thank you.
See more
See less

SeaWorld Attendance Continues to Drop

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SeaWorld Attendance Continues to Drop

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...804-story.html
    SeaWorld has been unable to reverse its falling attendance, reporting Tuesday that visitation dropped 4 percent during the first half of the year, with its San Diego and Orlando parks hit hardest.

While attendance actually showed a slight uptick during the second quarter, that was largely the result of the Easter holiday falling within that quarter. A more apt comparison, SeaWorld said, is to look at performance during the first six months of 2017 when 353,000 fewer people visited its parks.

SeaWorld Entertainment blamed the slumping attendance in San Diego on the reemergence of what it called its “public perception issues” after having cut back on marketing efforts to bolster its reputation. That was a mistake, CEO Joel Manby acknowledged in a morning earnings call with analysts, noting that SeaWorld had previously been investing more in marketing than its peers.

Ouch
    Jim in Merced CA - former cast member at Walt Disney World, Walt Disney Imagineering and Disneyland.

Comment

That's not surprising, especially in San Diego. The Orca shows are gone and replaced with the Orca Experience (I think). They have limited rides and and are also limited by a height restriction so any rides they want to have must fall within that limit or be voted on by the public. I dropped my passes a long time ago because it just isn't what it used to be and there are far better options available.

Comment

I really don't know what SW can do to turn things around. They're trying to add more rides but I haven't been impressed with their recent offerings. Submarine Quest was an epic fail and their new Electric Eel coaster doesn't sound nearly as good as Hangtime at Knott's. Their nighttime show has gotten good reviews but that's not enough to drive attendance.

Maybe they should drop the rides and become a super aquarium along the lines of the Georgia or Monterey Bay Aquariums, except bigger and better. Animal activists don't seem to have a problem with those kinds of places.

Comment

A heartless, backward-looking corporation that is reaping what they sowed.
          "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
          Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
          imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Comment

Originally posted by sheetz View Post
            I really don't know what SW can do to turn things around. They're trying to add more rides but I haven't been impressed with their recent offerings. Submarine Quest was an epic fail and their new Electric Eel coaster doesn't sound nearly as good as Hangtime at Knott's. Their nighttime show has gotten good reviews but that's not enough to drive attendance.

Maybe they should drop the rides and become a super aquarium along the lines of the Georgia or Monterey Bay Aquariums, except bigger and better. Animal activists don't seem to have a problem with those kinds of places.
            1. Announce that you'll retheme the parks as "Sea & Space" and have by far the world's best planetarium shows, a space roller coaster that will dwarf & outdate Space Moutain, and have talks & demonstrations at a pavilion created with NASA/JPL. (The shows at JPL's annual open house show how excitng these could be.)

2. After the whales are phased out, announce the dolphins will gradually be removed over a decade. Maybe phase in acquarium shows or water park rides. Or have sharks & alligator shows that show off what badasses these creatures can be along with a message about how we love & respect them.

3. Really step up the sea food restaurants and make them educational and more adventurous. Let Andrew Zimmern help create this.

4. Now that I think about it, just make me in charge.

Comment

Originally posted by jcruise86 View Post
              1. Announce that you'll retheme the parks as "Sea & Space" and have by far the world's best planetarium shows, a space roller coaster that will dwarf & outdate Space Moutain, and have talks & demonstrations at a pavilion created with NASA/JPL. (The shows at JPL's annual open house show how excitng these could be.)

2. After the whales are phased out, announce the dolphins will gradually be removed over a decade. Maybe phase in acquarium shows or water park rides. Or have sharks & alligator shows that show off what badasses these creatures can be along with a message about how we love & respect them.

3. Really step up the sea food restaurants and make them educational and more adventurous. Let Andrew Zimmern help create this.

4. Now that I think about it, just make me in charge.
              Four excellent ideas! To which I would only add...

5. Fire the entire management hierarchy -- the people who have repeatedly demonstrated that they are entrenched in the corporate sensibility of the 1980s, and who've had to dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century. Replace them with a forward-looking management team of theme park executives, supported by an operations group of imagineers, oceanographers, wildlife biologists, ex-astronauts, and media-savvy educators. Put people like James Cameron, Bob Ballard, Sylvia Earle, Amy Mainzer, Alex Filippenko and Michelle Thaller on the B.O.D. And together let them create a totally new identity for the brand.
              "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
              Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
              imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Comment

Kinda sad, after going to the park this summer after a long time.

It was great, clean, friendly, passionate workers, the Shamoo show is just the best its EVER been and the rides are fun and plentiful

Really I'd give the park a solid like 8.5/10....the only thing to improve is maybe some more detailed dark rides and to change the Dolphin show to be more like Shamoo's
                Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

I haven't been to SW since 2007, mainly because I made a commitment that, as long as they have some kind of whale/dolphin breed in program, I refuse to give them money. I would like to return to the park at some point to see how much has changed, but hopefully they won't go under by then.
                  "If a 6 or 7 year old thinks you're cool, then you're doing something right." -Justin Scarred

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X