This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Questions about Magic Mountain

I was the only bidder on Magic Mountain tickets at a charity auction and got them for $20 each. They expire at the end of 2014.
    I haven't been there in over ten years.

What should we not miss at Magic Mountain, and what should we avoid?
    I used to like the Mooseburger Lodge, but that's closed. Is there any good food in the park?

Coasters:
    Which ones should we not miss or avoid?
    I hate Goliath because of the uncomfortable Gs in a turn after a big hill. I used to love Viper, but I heard it's gone Ghostrider in terms of uncomfortable shaking.
    One person in our party can handle Jaguar and California Screamin', but doesn't want to go on the "scariest" coasters.
    I want to do Superman and hope to talk the rest of my party into Lex Luthor.
    What are your thoughts about:
    Tatsu
    Scream
    and Ninja?
    I want to try Full Throttle, but one person is scared.
    When we get there at the park opening, what rides should we visit first to avoid longer lines later in the day?
    Finally, I love Christmas. Do Magic Mountain's Christmas offerings make it worth postponing our trip till the end of November and December? Are their carolers good and is they new for 2014?
    Last edited by jcruise86; 10-29-2014, 12:34 PM.

Re: Questions about Magic Mountain

It's been a couple of years since I've been there, but I have good memories of Tatsu and of Ninja. You're right about Viper- it's kind of like a mugging.

I've never gone during Christmas but now I want to.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Comment

If you want to do Full Throttle, I'd do it first. The ride loads very slowly (and doesn't hold a lot of people as it is), so the line tends to move pretty slow. The ride is also very short. I like it, and don't personally feel it's too intense, but I do like extreme rides, so I may not be the best judge. But I don't think it's much more intense than Screamin.

Tatsu is amazing, but can be intense, especially that large loop in the middle.

Scream is WYSIWYG. Good in the front row, and there's not generally a line for it. Nothing to write home about.

Ninja is very mild. If you can handle Screamin, Ninja would not be a problem.

If your group isn't into the super intense, it may be a bit limiting. But you still have Goldrusher and Jet Stream. Apocalypse is getting rougher, but is still ridable, and very fast and fun.

The Christmas event is new to this year, so it remains to see what will be done. While I'm not expecting to get my socks knocked off, I do plan on visiting.
      Food is improving, but generally still not great. But I haven't yet been to the Sports Bar that replaced Mooseburger yet, either.
      Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

Comment

Originally posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post
        It's been a couple of years since I've been there, but I have good memories of Tatsu and of Ninja. You're right about Viper- it's kind of like a mugging.

I've never gone during Christmas but now I want to.
        Thanks, Alphabassetgrrl and Jestermn!

I'd still like to hear from others, please.

Comment

Ninja is gentle fun and also part of a dying breed. There are not many Arrow suspended coasters left in the world. I have only been the the park once and did not have time to do much, so that is about as much as I can say.

Comment

Originally posted by lazyboy97O View Post
            Ninja is gentle fun and also part of a dying breed. There are not many Arrow suspended coasters left in the world. I have only been the the park once and did not have time to do much, so that is about as much as I can say.
            Thanks. I've been on Ninja and liked going through the woods.

The gardening at Six Flags M. Mtn. I've seen in the past made me appreciate Disneyland and Knott's. I hope that's improved. My least favorite thing about M. Mtn. is the lack of a hub. At Disneyland, unless you're in Critter Country or Toontown, you're always conveniently close to everything else. Now if only I can talk my youngster into riding Lex Luthor! If it were X-men themed she'd ride it.

Comment

A lot of the rides are pretty painful to ride. In terms of thrills, there isn't a lot there that's on par with California Screamin's intensity level; most of the rides are more intense. My personal favorite is Tatsu... That's one ride that everyone should experience, regardless of their tolerance level for thrill rides because of the incredible sensation of flight it provides. Full Throttle is do-able for your California Screamin'-level person, but is more intense. The loop looks threatening, but it's fun. Apocalypse is also do-able, but has become pretty rickety since it opened. The others rides I enjoy there are Batman, Green Lantern, X2, and Scream, but they are all pretty intense.

^Art by me!
              Check out my
              Flickr page for a selection of my Disneyland Resort photography (and more)! {new photos 8.19.15}
              You can purchase a selection of my photos as well as clothing and stickers designed by me at my RedBubble page.
              Visit my
              Tumblr blog for another way to view and share my photos.
              Radiator Springs Racers ride count: 22

Comment

Originally posted by jcruise86 View Post
                Thanks. I've been on Ninja and liked going through the woods.

The gardening at Six Flags M. Mtn. I've seen in the past made me appreciate Disneyland and Knott's. I hope that's improved. My least favorite thing about M. Mtn. is the lack of a hub. At Disneyland, unless you're in Critter Country or Toontown, you're always conveniently close to everything else. Now if only I can talk my youngster into riding Lex Luthor! If it were X-men themed she'd ride it.
                Hope you have fond memories of those woods. SFMM is in the forest clearing business right now.
                "And yes, we implore EVERYBODY to follow the park rules. Having off-ride footage is great, but any still photo's or video's taken ON the coasters at SFMM are strictly against the rules. They are there for your (and everybody's) safety." "Six Flags doesn't allow ANY loose articles on their coasters, and they don't allow video taping on their coasters. " BUT, "​ This is not true. Six Flags does not allow ANY On-Ride video or pictures on the rides. The ONLY way is if you get explicit permission from Park Management." ???

Comment

Watch out for the first drop on Colossus. It's a lu-lu!

Comment

More suggestions, please!

Comment

How many people in your group?
                      Will you not go on a ride because one person won't go on that ride?
                      two suggestions for the scaredy cats:
                      1. "See that bench over there? We'll meet you there when we're done. Careful though: the cracks on the walkway might grow, hope that's not too exciting for you."
                      2. Have them walk through the line and then they can chicken-exit at the end. But, do not waste any breath trying to get them onto the ride. Lots of times that's what they want, the attention of the group, and the focus of conversation on themselves. So, talk about anything but their me-me-me-me-me issue.
                      Check for single-rider queues. I haven't been in over 14 years, so I have no idea how they capacitize their rides. last I went, singles were pulled from the general queue at nearly the last minute.

Personally I wouldn't plan to miss anything except the water rides. No need to get wet in December.

Comment

We went on a rainy day and at least three of the coasters were closed all day and all were closed for parts of the day. This park is probably worse than Disneyland, Universal or Knott's when it rains because it's all about weather-sensitive coasters. I was unimpressed with the food options at Magic Mountain--not much for grown ups. We ate at the sports restaurant that used to be the Mooseburger Lodge (which I had liked), and I liked watching the Packers beat the Patriots while we ate, but we couldn't even substitute anything for the unhealthy fries. The burgers were pretty good. I think the gardening at Magic Mountain has improved since I visited long ago, but it has a long way to go to reach Knott's gardening. I'll always hate the way M. Mtn. is laid out--it makes me appreciate Disneyland's hub with spokes design. I don't mind if I never go back to Magic Mountain, though if their Halloween event improves I might go back in about 4 years. Blame it on the rain.

Comment

Actually, I think Knott's tends to be worse in regards to rain... often, they shut down the park entirely. At least Magic Mountain generally stays open.

That said, sorry to hear it wasn't a better time for you. Personally, I think the park is on an upswing again, but it certainly isn't for everybody.
                          Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

Comment

Working...
                          X