Announcement

Collapse

Attention New Uber/Lyft Users

If you are planning to use Uber or Lyft anywhere in the US and have not already taken your first ride, you can use the following codes for a free or discounted first ride (amount varies by location). Uber - matthewb96 Lyft - matthewb96
See more
See less

Six Flags - Noticing a difference?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Six Flags - Noticing a difference?

Originally posted by Darkbeer
    So threads like the DCALA are OK to get negative in?

I have stayed out of it due to respect......
    Come on Dave ... I've never bashed anybody for bashing DCA ... plus I know deep down you love the place.

In fact I remember defending your right to bash the park on more than one ocassion. I may not agree with it, but I respect it ... you know your stuff.

So yeah, the same applies here IMO.

Comment

Maybe it's time to hit us with your list, wrs28220.

And ya know, I think some people really need to learn the difference between "gang members/wannabe gang members" and just plain fun-loving youth of Southern California, which I think SFMM attracts more of. Don't think that every group of LA area teens are gangbangers just based on their skin tone, hair cuts, white t-shirts, etc... Yes, they may be loud and obnoxious, but what do you expect from teens? Don't give everybody that "gangbanger" branding if they're not really deserving of it.
      Magic Journeys...

Comment

The reason i chose to work at six flags was because Disneyland is just too far away. When I started at six flags, i was not impressed at all with the park. When I went for an interview, the clothing being worn by the applicants was...well lets just say i was the only person wearing slacks, a belt, and a dress shirt. You would have thought I was over dressed. Out of about 30 people, they hired all but one that day, and from what i heard him say, it was because he refused to take out visible piercings. If you were breathing they hired you. That is just one thing that angered me. Others included lack of employee morale in most of the departments, from what i have observed. Grooming standards and disregard to many employee policies has also been a problem. People, including some supervisors not wearing their belts, shirts not tucked in, sagging pants, not even wearing park issued pants. Not picking up trash on the midway, responding "I don't know" when a guest tried asking them a question, talking on the phone while in front of guests, eating in front of guests, the list goes on.
        So, with that being said, the reason i started this thread is because all of these things have been discussed in the past in previous threads on this site. Now, however I as an employee have seen changes in all the items listed above, and from a guest's perspective, was curious whethere or not some of these issues have seemed to improve.
        My list (keeping in mind that most of these changes have occured since the change over with Mark Shapiro):
        Characters: When i started last year, 4 or 5 characters average in the park per day. According to character supervisors, they are currently short 100 people to portray the 20 characters per hour in the park:
        Bugs Bunny
        Daffy Duck
        Tweety Bird
        Sylvester the Cat
        Yosemite Sam
        Elmer Fud
        Foghorn Leghorn
        Marvin the Martian
        Porkey Pig
        Petunia Pig
        Pepe Le Pew
        Lola Bunny
        Speedy Gonzales
        Batman
        Robin
        Wonder Woman
        Flash
        Green Lantern
        and two others I can not recall.
        The justice league has not arived at SFMM yet, but the other characters have more sets. A character set is a group of characters who go out into the park together at the same time. SFMM used to have A through E set at the most, now however they have up to R set. They still need to hire more employees and they hope to get to the 20 per hour mark by late May.
        Bathrooms: Many of the bathroom can be seen with full time attendants going back and forth between the same 3 or 4 bathrooms all day. Because employees have to use most of the same bathrooms as the guests, the employees have been talking amongst themselves that they have been getting cleaner.
        PSA(Park Service Attendants):sweepers, there is a stronger work force of English speaking employees in this department. Sweepers are generally asked the most questions by guests because of there locations on the midways. A large percentage of the "older"...wait, "non-teen" employees did not speak English, or pretented not to, in order to aviod guest interaction. Now however, there are visibly more PSAs who speak English and have better guest interaction skills.
        Employee Morale: There is a very visible change in Employee morale, visible to employees, maybe not so much to guests who make a visit only once a year or so. When Mark Shapiro came to the park back in Januaray, and his return trips, becasue we were one of the only parks open during the off season, he told the employees that as we are raising admission prices to the park, our standards for employees were being raised. From what other employees have expressed, including ride operators, which is one of the most repetative jobs with little change, (I was trained on Superman, X, Psyclone, and Riddlers Revenge, so I know how long the day can be) have felt more appreciated by there supervisors.
        Opening the Park: Within the last month, at the begining of each day, after the ride supervisors have helped start up each of the coasters or rides they oversee, they have gone outside the gates and have passed out park maps, show guides, and interacted with guests, answering any questions, about 30 minutes before park opening. This is quite unheard of, for six flags. Taking the time to greet guests before the park even opens, wow!
        Guest Service Ambassadors: Newly added position in the park, when further investigated, to be starting by the end of this month.
        From sixflags.com:
        "Will seek out guests in order to be friendly and helpful, assisting with questions and directions. They entertain using their outgoing personality, in addition to possibly using variety skills such as juggling, magic, balloon sculpting, singing or comedy. They will also market retail, food, shows and games available to our guests.

Skills required:
        Must be able to communicate well in English and have strong customer service skills. Variety skills such as acting, juggling, balloon sculpting and magic are a plus, but not required. "

Upon further investingation with managers of the entertainment department, it is along the lines of the disney ride boards, which offer information about everything in the park. However instead of waiting for guests to approach you, the 5 ambassadors in the park at a time will actively seek out guests who are looking at park maps, look lost, or are looking bored. They will need to know ride heights, restaurants and food offerings, locations of ATMs, baby changing facilities, show times, parade times, and other park policies.
        Sounds impressive to me.
        Smoking: as most have heard, there are now 13 smoking areas in the park. No smoking is allowed in queue line, in theaters, in bathrooms, in restaurants, or on midways. Smokers did point out at guest relations, when the rules were starting to be inforced, that there were no ashtrays at the smoking areas. This was fixed by the next weekend.
        PAINT, PAINT, PAINT: When Mark Shapiro visited the park, he told us that to put the cost of the new roller coaster Tatsu into perspective, a total cost of $22 million, we could of had 1 new coaster. Or for $20 million, the park could have overgone a complete face lift and retheming. Well, they haven't quite spent 20 million, but they started repainting everything about 2 months ago, and have almost finished painting the entire park, including some of the tracks of the coasters. Here is a link to CoasterRealm Network. Most of the pictures in the updates are of Tatsu's construction, but the updates on paint jobs are sprinkled throughout the SFMM updates: http://coasterrealm.com/template.php...edate=02222006

visit the updates starting at the one provided all the way back to about the middle of January.

Character dining: if you listen to the earnings conference call linked below, you will hear Shapiro talking about character dining, similar to the Plaza Inn at Disneyland. Upon further investingation with Entertainment Management, this summer there will be an opening ceremony at the park with Bugs, Daffy, and Marvin. In addition, there will be a variety show at lunch time up at the Laughing Dragon Pizza Company, in order to try to give a new breath of life to Samari Summit with the reopening of the sky tower, the orient express, and of course the brand new Tatsu.

These are just a few of what I hope to be many positive changes for the park. Shapiro wants to improve our brand name, and only time will tell if this can be accomplished. We seem to be on the right "track".

My sources:
        yahoo finance - PKS earnings conference call: http://biz.yahoo.com/cc/6/66086.html

sixflags.com: http://www.sixflags.com/parks/magicm...Jobs/index.asp
        (scroll down to seasonal jobs)

coasterrealm network:
        http://coasterrealm.com/
        Last edited by bubbubble4; 03-09-2006, 06:23 AM.

Comment

So threads like the DCALA are OK to get negative in?

I have stayed out of it due to respect......
          Sure, why not? The 2-by-4 has not changed their minds yet.
          I don't bother, unless I hear them singing the DCALA theme song while in the thread next door. I'll throw a show at them then.

Comment

Oh, now you're advertising job openings?

And I'm not following rules?

Comment

Interesting...

Motley Fool has posted what some of the changes are...

1. More characters in the park. 29 new character hires per park!! (That is a huge number...) Focusing on Looney Toons and DC Comics. - More character related products are also going to be sold...
              2. Better employee training for new hires - seasonal employees.
              3. Bonus for executives to change the culture away from bottom line performance to better service, cleanliness, per cappa spending metrics.
              4. Investment away from more roller coaster additions and on family themed rides that are not carnival based.
              5. new corporate relationships (Papa Johns)

Also of it's 30 parks, 4 GM's have been giving walking papers.

It looks as if Six Flags is undergoing a full text book OB culture change...
              Check out my other blog:

Comment

Lisa and I will be at Magic Mountain this Sunday...

Looking forward to it

Please take some cool pics of the rides and wide shots of the park so I can see what it looks like, I am so looking forward to the report. I may have to go here is possible in case disneyland is on strike.

Comment

Any one have some good pics of this park? wide shots so I can see the surroundings? the rides? how far is this from disneyland. >??

Comment

Originally posted by hakuna makarla
                    Any one have some good pics of this park? wide shots so I can see the surroundings? the rides? how far is this from disneyland. >??
                    I'll take the last one: I think it's a good 75 miles from Disneyland. Through and past the heart of LA.
                    I thought you were a bit wussy when it came to thrill rides, HM. The drive alone might scare you to death.

Comment

Originally posted by sediment
                      I'll take the last one: I think it's a good 75 miles from Disneyland. Through and past the heart of LA.
                      I thought you were a bit wussy when it came to thrill rides, HM. The drive alone might scare you to death.
                      :lmao:yeah, I hear ya, but if there is a strike I got to find something to do LOL!

Comment

:lmao:yeah, I hear ya, but if there is a strike I got to find something to do LOL!
                        You're staying close to Knott's, so that's an option. I'd also recommend Sea World and San Diego Zoo (also recommend overnight). It's a nicer drive.

Comment

HM, if you don't like thrill rides don't go to SFMM.

Honestly, if there is a strike and you don't go to DL I would say drive up the coast of california and go to Bonfante Gardens in Gilroy. It's is one of the, if not THE most beautiful park I have ever been to. It's a family park in the truest sense of the word. Granted it is a good 6 - 8 hour drive from Disneyland, but it's worth it IMO.

Here are some pics:

http://greggandkristi.smugmug.com/gallery/1206672

Comment

You're staying close to Knott's, so that's an option. I'd also recommend Sea World and San Diego Zoo (also recommend overnight). It's a nicer drive.
                            we are staying at the holiday in at the park. up from disneyland. If need be I will change the room to some place else and or spend most of my time in DCa ( unless that closes, then I guess its knotts, and at the pool all day LOL! I won't worry bout it until it happens.

Comment

we are staying at the holiday in at the park. up from disneyland. If need be I will change the room to some place else and or spend most of my time in DCa ( unless that closes, then I guess its knotts, and at the pool all day LOL! I won't worry bout it until it happens.
                              Karla I stayed at that hotel when I lived in canada and came here for a visit.. I love it.. in fact I stayed there twice.. there is a shuttle that runs from the hotel to DL... which is a great thing.. I would say the hotel is about 1/2 mile from the park.. but I loved it

as we could watch the fireworks from the hotel as well

the shuttle will also take you to knotts if I remember correctly as it took us there

Friends for life

Comment

Oh, now you're advertising job openings?

And I'm not following rules?
                                Sounds like an advertisement to me.
                                "And yes, we implore EVERYBODY to follow the park rules. Having off-ride footage is great, but any still photo's or video's taken ON the coasters at SFMM are strictly against the rules. They are there for your (and everybody's) safety." "Six Flags doesn't allow ANY loose articles on their coasters, and they don't allow video taping on their coasters. " BUT, "​ This is not true. Six Flags does not allow ANY On-Ride video or pictures on the rides. The ONLY way is if you get explicit permission from Park Management." ???

Comment

Originally posted by wrs28220
                                  PSA(Park Service Attendants):sweepers, there is a stronger work force of English speaking employees in this department. Sweepers are generally asked the most questions by guests because of there locations on the midways. A large percentage of the "older"...wait, "non-teen" employees did not speak English, or pretented not to, in order to aviod guest interaction. Now however, there are visibly more PSAs who speak English and have better guest interaction skills.
                                  Maybe they should make Employee English Language name tags that identify the workers who speak english similiar to disneyland.

Originally posted by wrs28220
                                  However instead of waiting for guests to approach you, the 5 ambassadors in the park at a time will actively seek out guests who are looking at park maps, look lost, or are looking bored. They will need to know ride heights, restaurants and food offerings, locations of ATMs, baby changing facilities, show times, parade times, and other park policies.
                                  5? why dont they train all employees this information. At disney we have about 10,000 of these so called "Impressive" workers
                                  Last edited by Imagineer1985; 03-13-2006, 12:13 AM.

Comment

More later, but I was very impressed by many of the workers at SFMM.

Friendly, went out of their way to say hello and good morning. Many of them had cleaning supplies and were cleaning when not interacting with guests (Mainly the games folks).

Glad I got up at 5 AM to go
                                    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Comment

Originally posted by Imagineer1985
                                      5? why dont they train all employees this information. At disney we have about 10,000 of these so called "Impressive" workers
                                      "Lost? Have you tried Hare Krisnha?"

(Hey, it worked for Kermit the Frog...)
                                      Check out my other blog:

Comment

More later, but I was very impressed by many of the workers at SFMM.

Friendly, went out of their way to say hello and good morning. Many of them had cleaning supplies and were cleaning when not interacting with guests (Mainly the games folks).

Glad I got up at 5 AM to go
                                        Can't wait to here more!!!!!!
                                        That's awesome!

Comment

Working...
                                        X