X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Six Flags jumps the Dubai Bandwagon

From Themeparkinsider.com

Six Flags going to Dubai, too

By Robert Niles Last week, Busch. This week, Six Flags.

Following last week's announcement of a mega SeaWorld/Busch Gardens resort in Dubai, Six Flags has announced that it will expand to the Arabian peninsula. Six Flags is partnering with Tatweer, the developer of Universal Studios Dubailand. Tatweer will build Six Flags Dubailand under license from the U.S. amusement park firm. Here's the press release.
    As long as Disney stays out of Dubai, I will be okay, but who actually thinks this many theme parks being built at the same time and at the same location is a safe bet?

Re: Six Flags jumps the Dubai Bandwagon

I don't think this will work out. Why don't they fix their parks in the states before venturing off to Dubai. An as much as I hate to say it, Disney will probably make the jump too.

Comment

For Six Flags this is just a pure moneymaker to pay off debts in the US. Dubai is paying for the 'good' name of Six Flags and their expertise to build a park in Dubai. Don't assume that this deal means Six Flags is ignoring its US parks because it's actually the opposite. They're finding alternative capital to get themselves on firmer footing by getting on the Dubai bandwagon.

Comment

I just don't see how Dubai can really expect to support this many theme parks. Orlando has been the vacation destination of the world and it would be hard pressed to support this many parks by this many different groups.

Comment

I wonder if the Looney Tunes are included in the deal.
          Goodbye, Me Bizarro is not Monkey Joe. Me Bizarro hates Disney parks so much. Hello

Comment

Originally posted by Monkey joe View Post
            I wonder if the Looney Tunes are included in the deal.
            No, they'd have to be licensed separately from Warner. And since Warner is planning a theme park in Abu Dhabi, that seems unlikely without a big check.

Comment

Originally posted by kcnole View Post
              I just don't see how Dubai can really expect to support this many theme parks. Orlando has been the vacation destination of the world and it would be hard pressed to support this many parks by this many different groups.
              Here's my take on it. There's a lot of competition between developers and even between Emirates (Abu Dhabi) and countries (Saudi Arabia).

Half of these are getting signed up so that the "other guy" can't do it. Then, they'll follow through only on the ones that make the most sense. If the market continues to grow, they'll continue to build. If the market stalls, they'll slow down.

Comment

Originally posted by ekester View Post
                Here's my take on it. There's a lot of competition between developers and even between Emirates (Abu Dhabi) and countries (Saudi Arabia).

Half of these are getting signed up so that the "other guy" can't do it. Then, they'll follow through only on the ones that make the most sense. If the market continues to grow, they'll continue to build. If the market stalls, they'll slow down.
                Well it seems like these are all being built at the same time?

Does anyone have the complete list of theme parks coming to Dubai?

Comment

Originally posted by GhostHost2 View Post
                  Well it seems like these are all being built at the same time?

Does anyone have the complete list of theme parks coming to Dubai?
                  "Announced" and "built" are definitely two different things (although the press tends to tout them as being built when they aren't). None of them are actually under construction (not the ones announced in the past few months anyway).

Same thing happened in South Korea a couple years ago - a number of parks were announced (MGM, Paramount, Universal), but as you may notice, nothing's being built yet.

For the list of parks in Dubai, it partly depends on what you consider a theme park. The announcements like "HIT" (Barney, Thomas the Tank Engine) which is 25,000 square feet isn't a theme park, even though it's called that. They've got the Formula One park - is that a park or is it a race track with added entertainment? The definitions get kind of squishy depending on what you want to look at.

www.dubailand.ae has some of the big hitters, but not all of them (SeaWorld's not part of Dubailand, but it is in Dubai).

Comment

No, they'd have to be licensed separately from Warner. And since Warner is planning a theme park in Abu Dhabi, that seems unlikely without a big check.
                    Where is the press release for that?
                    Goodbye, Me Bizarro is not Monkey Joe. Me Bizarro hates Disney parks so much. Hello

Comment

"When" Disney does built a park out there, I might move there.
                      It's like ALL major theme park chains are building a resort here.
                      An I love the weather
                      Not that I have anything against SoCal weather. But it could be fun for a couple years. But I would definitely move back to SoCal afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by Monkey joe View Post
                        Where is the press release for that?
                        Announced back in September:

http://www.timewarner.com/corp/newsr...665630,00.html

Comment

Thanks. I wonder if somebody can finally make a good WB theme park. lol.

Comment

I am excited about Dubai, but cautiously optimistic...

Orlando has YTD according to the Orlando CVB is 37,000,000 visitors.
                            Those 37,000,000 visitors support 7 Theme parks, 4 Water Parks, and 2 Boutique Park (and it took 36 years to build it to this level).

Magic Kingdom
                            EPCOT
                            SeaWorld
                            Disney Hollywood Studios
                            Universal Studios
                            Disney's Animal Kingdom
                            Islands of Adventure

Wet N Wild
                            Typhoon Lagoon
                            Blizzard Beach
                            Aquatica

Discovery Cove
                            Night Kingdom (2012)

Last year Dubai had almost 8,000,000 visitors with the expectation that by the time Universal Dubai is online it will see around 15,000,000 visitors by 2015. With 10 theme parks planned, 2 water parks, and 2 boutique parks.

Universal Studios (2010)
                            Busch Gardens (2012)
                            SeaWorld (2012)
                            Marvel Theme Park (2011)
                            SixFlags (2012)
                            Warners Brothers Theme Park (2012)
                            DreamsWorks Animation Theme Park (2015)
                            Hit Entertainment Theme Park (2012)
                            Restless Planet Dinosaur Theme Park (late 2008)
                            Formula 1 Race Car Theme Park (2009)

Wild Wadi Water Park (open)
                            Aquatica (2012)

Ski Dubai (open)
                            Discovery Cove (2012)

Now that I lay out this argument... lol I am not sure that I think about the prospects of Dubai... hmmm
                            Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Comment

Originally posted by OFTEric View Post

Now that I lay out this argument... lol I am not sure that I think about the prospects of Dubai... hmmm
                              Nice list. A couple nitpicky things that need to be updated - Warner is planned for Abu Dhabi, not Dubai.

And, even though the press says "theme park" for HIT, 25,000 square feet is a playground, not a theme park IMO.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X