Universal considering Lord of the Rings?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Melonballer
    Shablagoo!
    • May 2005

Re: Universal considering Lord of the Rings?

I have been taking surveys from Universal for several years now. LOTR has been a part of them the whole time. As has films like Austin Powers. I don't think this is anything to get excited about.

Comment

• DisneyDude12
      MiceChatter
      • Oct 2009

Originally posted by giggling_gargoyles View Post
      I got a not-so-subtle email from the company
      Wait, is this e-mail from Universal? Where do I sign up?!?!?!?!

Comment

• BuzzedLightyear
        King of Los Angeles
        • Feb 2005

Ehh I think the success of Harry Potter has Universal Execs frothinga t the mouth. They have Disney on their heels for once. Another big themed land could make IOA a perennial player, and the best theme park in Orlando. Let's be honest, Transformers West is most likely a test run for a re-themed Super-hero island. I wouldn't be surprised to see them give up on Marvel and not share profits with Disney eventually if they felt they had a brand that was just as successful to work with.

Comment

• KingEric
          is in Antarctica
          MiceChat Round-Up Crew
          • Oct 2007

Originally posted by BuzzedLightyear View Post
          Ehh I think the success of Harry Potter has Universal Execs frothinga t the mouth. They have Disney on their heels for once. Another big themed land could make IOA a perennial player, and the best theme park in Orlando. Let's be honest, Transformers West is most likely a test run for a re-themed Super-hero island. I wouldn't be surprised to see them give up on Marvel and not share profits with Disney eventually if they felt they had a brand that was just as successful to work with.
          success breeds success
          Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Comment

• Disney Romantic
            Not a Crook
            • Sep 2009

Originally posted by BuzzedLightyear View Post
            While they could easily re-theme the Hulk coaster and Dr. Doom, I doubt they could easily slap a new theme on Spiderman. While they theoretically could rip it apart and make it Transformers, that would be a zero sum game of essentially adding a new attraction at the expense of the former most popular ride in the park.
            "A paradise for children--and for grownups, too. I don't know when I've had so much fun."-Richard Nixon on Disneyland

Newest Post- Epcot 30x30: Club Cool

Comment

• DisneyIndy7
              Whip cracker
              • Jun 2010

I think a Lord of the Rings themed area sounds interesting.
              If adventure has a name, it must be Indiana Jones ... and Disneyland

Comment

• Dreamsong
                New MiceChatter
                • Aug 2010

I would love to be able to visit various "sites" like Rivendell, Lothlorien, or the Shire. I could even abide costumed "generic" characters, as long as they were not specific characters from the books. Rides...I dunno. Much agreed Universal did a fabulous job of Harry Potter. Still, I imagine that kind of project would entail permission and rights from so many people and companies, including the Tolkien trust, I have real doubts it coud happen. Not so sure the Tolkien family would go for the theme park idea, from what they've said before. But I wish whoever good luck with that (not gonna expect to see it in my lifetime, though.)

Comment

• KingEric
                  is in Antarctica
                  MiceChat Round-Up Crew
                  • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Dreamsong View Post
                  I would love to be able to visit various "sites" like Rivendell, Lothlorien, or the Shire. I could even abide costumed "generic" characters, as long as they were not specific characters from the books. Rides...I dunno. Much agreed Universal did a fabulous job of Harry Potter. Still, I imagine that kind of project would entail permission and rights from so many people and companies, including the Tolkien trust, I have real doubts it coud happen. Not so sure the Tolkien family would go for the theme park idea, from what they've said before. But I wish whoever good luck with that (not gonna expect to see it in my lifetime, though.)
                  interesting first post Dreamsong.

Comment

• MistaDee
                    MiceChatter
                    • Aug 2009

A Lotr themed land would be a terrible decision, although Harry Potter and Lotr both enjoy a similar number of hardcore fans, Harry fans seem to be much more commercial to me very willing to buy merchandise and see movies therefore also willing to attend a theme park. Lotr fans (or the hardcore ones) I see as much less commercial, I know many Tolkien addicts who refused to see the movies much less buy lotr merchandise.

What I'm trying to say is the lotr fanbase for the most part might just be too mature for a themepark. Most of harry potter movies were pg or relatively friendly pg 13 and the books were childrens books while all of tlotr were pg 13 and the books were distinctly Adult targeted.

The only way I see this happening is if The Hobbit is a massively successful franchise that manages to attract the right demographic.
                    Armchair Imagineering!:

The Grand Cinema Journey? (Name ideas welcome)

Concept Map! (Thread to follow)
                    Grizzly Peak Mining District

Comment

• KingEric
                      is in Antarctica
                      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
                      • Oct 2007

Originally posted by MistaDee View Post
                      A Lotr themed land would be a terrible decision, although Harry Potter and Lotr both enjoy a similar number of hardcore fans, Harry fans seem to be much more commercial to me very willing to buy merchandise and see movies therefore also willing to attend a theme park. Lotr fans (or the hardcore ones) I see as much less commercial, I know many Tolkien addicts who refused to see the movies much less buy lotr merchandise.

What I'm trying to say is the lotr fanbase for the most part might just be too mature for a themepark. Most of harry potter movies were pg or relatively friendly pg 13 and the books were childrens books while all of tlotr were pg 13 and the books were distinctly Adult targeted.

The only way I see this happening is if The Hobbit is a massively successful franchise that manages to attract the right demographic.
                      100% concur.

Comment

• Jordiekins
                        The one and only
                        • Apr 2008

I think it has a lot of potential, but it'd have to be done JUST right.
                        I'd definitely love to see it happen.

Originally posted by MistaDee View Post
                        I understand what you're saying, but I don't think it's fair to label the Harry Potter series as "children's books". While they may only be marketed in a America as such, around the world, the books are loved, celebrated, and even cherished by fans young and old. In fact, the UK published every book with an alternate "adult" cover, just to appease older fans.
                        Last edited by Jordiekins; 08-12-2010, 12:22 PM.

Comment

• Freakazoid112
                          Banned User
                          • Apr 2010

If they ever did a LotR attraction/"land", wouldn't the environments be a bit too similar to Harry Potter? I mean, walking inside of a castle for the queue area would probably be somewhat repetitive from Potter, and the Dragon and spider creatures would also be in Potter.

Comment

• Bystander
                            New MiceChatter
                            • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Freakazoid112 View Post
                            If they ever did a LotR attraction/"land", wouldn't the environments be a bit too similar to Harry Potter? I mean, walking inside of a castle for the queue area would probably be somewhat repetitive from Potter, and the Dragon and spider creatures would also be in Potter.
                            That's rather a strange argument. Tolkien's Middle-earth does not consist solely of castles, dragons, and spider creatures.

That said, I am sceptical that the Tolkien estate will sell theme park rights to anyone at all.

Comment

• JMora
                              Banned User
                              • Oct 2008

They already have this. It's called the 'Renaissance Faire'. =0}~

Comment

• Disney Romantic
                                Not a Crook
                                • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Freakazoid112 View Post
                                That would be true if the focus of Tolkien was on castles and pleasant villages. The scope is far larger, and the most iconic location is a giant volcano of doom, aptly called Mount Doom. They could definitely pull off something completely different, as long as it wasn't a bunch of shops in the Shire (Hobbit Land, for those less LOTR inclined) and a journey through Isengard (Really, really big tower of magic).
                                "A paradise for children--and for grownups, too. I don't know when I've had so much fun."-Richard Nixon on Disneyland

Newest Post- Epcot 30x30: Club Cool

Comment

• JMora
                                  Banned User
                                  • Oct 2008

Know why this came up?

People were given a survey when they visited Universal Studios "Orlando," and Island's of Adventure over the summer, to test visitors what they would like to see at future Universal Orlando theme parks. 'Avatar,' and 'Twilight' was also on that exact same survey of what possible things guests would like to see at the Universal Orlando landscape in the future. From new lands to new attractions to merchandise, and character interactions. It's not 100% official, since in the past, such films like '300' was on a Universal theme park survey but do we see hot, half-naked muscle men walking around screaming, "I am a Spartan" today at Universal theme parks? No. They already have that at Caesar Palace in Las Vegas =) Should be noted too, Universal Studios Hollywood did not have the same survey this summer!

Though, Universal did a fantastic job with landing a Harry Potter agreement, and creating an exciting new land at Island's of Adventure that's giving Walt Disney World a run for it's money. Which, by the way, the new expansion of Fantasyland at the Magic Kingdom is a great big joke, in my opinion. It's main target, 6-25 year old girls! Do we really need two Dumbo rides, and 60% of the expansion being meet & greet "bed time" story telling to visitors?

Going back to 'Lord of the Rings' coming to Universal, figure all copyright right headaches from so many owners, MGM can't even make The Hobbit film possible, so I doubt we'll ever see a Lord of the Rings franchise at any Universal theme parks.

Anyway, the real attraction is 'Transformers: the Ride' coming to Universal Studios Hollywood next summer, that will top the technology used from Universal's Island's of Adventures top awarded attractions: 'The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man,' and 'Harry Potter and the Forbidden!' Journey.' Which Universal partly does own the rights to, they distributed the film internationally.

Comment

• JMora
                                    Banned User
                                    • Oct 2008

Originally posted by JMora View Post
                                    Though, Universal did a fantastic job with landing a Harry Potter agreement, and creating an exciting new land at Island's of Adventure that's giving Walt Disney World a run for it's money. Which, by the way, the new expansion of Fantasyland at the Magic Kingdom is a great big joke, in my opinion. It's main target, 6-25 year old girls! Do we really need two Dumbo rides, and 60% of the expansion being meet & greet "bed time" story telling to visitors?
                                    How funny, after mentioning my biggest complaint about WDW's Magic Kingdom's Fantasyland expansion. News has officially come out that Disney is changing its Fantasyland expansion plans to attract boys, since most of the original plan targeted more towards young girls/women.

Source:
                                    Disney says Fantasyland expansion plans are changing | TheDailyDisney.com from OrlandoSentinel.com &

Comment

• MistaDee
                                      MiceChatter
                                      • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Jordiekins View Post
                                      I think it has a lot of potential, but it'd have to be done JUST right.
                                      I'd definitely love to see it happen.

I understand what you're saying, but I don't think it's fair to label the Harry Potter series as "children's books". While they may only be marketed in a America as such, around the world, the books are loved, celebrated, and even cherished by fans young and old. In fact, the UK published every book with an alternate "adult" cover, just to appease older fans.
                                      I disagree Harry Potter while loved by adults everywhere (including myself) it is a children's book. This is what has made WWOHP so popular Disneyland as well is for children like it or not so a lot of the fans like to feel like children when they attend which is why they are also the ones who enjoy Harry Potter. They're the perfect demographic for a theme park, deep pockets and an equally deep suspension of disbelief and willingness to be silly. Tolkien fans are much more serious. (There's a fricking language they speak)
                                      Armchair Imagineering!:

The Grand Cinema Journey? (Name ideas welcome)

Concept Map! (Thread to follow)
                                      Grizzly Peak Mining District

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                      Working...
                                      X