This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USH May Want Wizzarding World

If Universal Hollywood actually does this they should go all out and actually upshow the Orlando version, not necessarily in terms of size for obvious reasons, but in terms of depth and quality. Do Hogwarts and Forbidden Journey, Hogsmeade or Diagon Alley (the real draw for the suits are all those gloriously ringing cash registers, so they'll need Honeydukes, Ollivanders, Dervish and Banges), and in place of the unnecessary Dragon's Challenge and Flight of the Hypogriff (which would create too much noise anyway) throw in a second dark ride experience, perhaps the often mused Gringotts vaults coaster.

Whatever they do, they need to break form and really invest some money in it if they want to compete with Disneyland, no more cheaping out a la Mummy.

At any rate I'm skeptical of the idea. What I haven't heard yet is whether it would even work with the contract they have with Rowling. My guess is the original deal was for Orlando only. I find another WWoHP in the Osaka or Singapore park more likely. Even better, the new South Korea park would be a good neutral location to draw the Australians, Japanese, Chinese and other international tourists in the area.
    Forget 'Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln,' Samantha Brown is Disney's most sophisticated animatronic.
    Tokyo Disneyland: 2009, 2012
    Disneyland Paris: 2010
    Hong Kong Disneyland: 2012
    Universal Orlando: 2007, 2010 (twice!)
    Efteling:2011
    Lotte World: 2012

Comment

What most pro-HP people are forgetting is USH is a working studio first and theme park second. That's never going to change.

Building the HP area (especially a looming castle) over at Falls Lake/Mummy's Tomb would be visible from almost everywhere in the lower lot and would either have to have a plain backside (so it can be digitally removed if lower lot filming captures it ie the backside of the Simpsons ride) or small in size. Also, due to the close proximity to active filming areas (Colonial Street/Wisteria Lane, Parenthood, etc) and a residential area, operating hours would be very limited.

HP taking over the T2/Coke Soak area could work if the area wasn't built on top of a parking structure. The only way something as massive as the HP clone could be built in that area would be completely tearing town the Frankenstein Parking structure and most of the hillside it sits on to reinforce the area.

Reclaiming the land WW and the Gibson occupy for HP would cause the relocation of the CM cafeteria, costuming, and Studio Tour load/unload. The six story building behind WW (USH's TDA) would have to be hidden somehow as well as the backside of the AMC and the rest of CityWalk. The six story building is unique because the side facing the park is plain with lots of windows and the side facing CityWalk has King Kong hanging off of it and a shop on the bottom floor. Also, anything built in that area would be visible from CityWalk if more than a couple of stories high.

Comment

I can't believe we all forgot to bring this up, but if they do work on this, they'll be striking the iron cold by the time it opens. It'll be what? 2014 or even 15 by the time this "land" would finally open? The last movie in the series comes out next year. So to do that wouldn't be a wise move fiscally.

Comment

Originally posted by Freakazoid112 View Post
          NNNOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!
          Originally posted by JMora View Post
          My thoughts exactly, I would die if Jurassic Park: The Ride goes extinct over some wizard boy and his magic wand stick, lol.
          I didn't say I liked the idea of removing JP, because it's the best ride at the park.

Originally posted by merlinjones View Post
          Why not get rid of Universal Citiwalk to bring in both Harry Potter and Spider-Man?
          Citywalk makes a LOT of money ... You will never see a park remove a shopping center with constant income for a ride/land.

Originally posted by F!an View Post
          What most pro-HP people are forgetting is USH is a working studio first and theme park second. That's never going to change.

Building the HP area (especially a looming castle) over at Falls Lake/Mummy's Tomb would be visible from almost everywhere in the lower lot and would either have to have a plain backside (so it can be digitally removed if lower lot filming captures it ie the backside of the Simpsons ride) or small in size. Also, due to the close proximity to active filming areas (Colonial Street/Wisteria Lane, Parenthood, etc) and a residential area, operating hours would be very limited.

HP taking over the T2/Coke Soak area could work if the area wasn't built on top of a parking structure. The only way something as massive as the HP clone could be built in that area would be completely tearing town the Frankenstein Parking structure and most of the hillside it sits on to reinforce the area.

Reclaiming the land WW and the Gibson occupy for HP would cause the relocation of the CM cafeteria, costuming, and Studio Tour load/unload. The six story building behind WW (USH's TDA) would have to be hidden somehow as well as the backside of the AMC and the rest of CityWalk. The six story building is unique because the side facing the park is plain with lots of windows and the side facing CityWalk has King Kong hanging off of it and a shop on the bottom floor. Also, anything built in that area would be visible from CityWalk if more than a couple of stories high.
          I actually think reclaiming WaterWorld/Gibson/Studio Tour Load/Unload could work ... here is why.

Waterworld, while still popular is probably about a decade past it's prime. As seen from the removal of pretty much every show at USH, people just aren't really into shows anymore. I don't think anybody would really complain if this happened.

The removal of Gibson has been rumored for quite awhile so I don't see this being an issue.

During HHN, they had the tram loading area for King Kong down on the lower lot above JP. There is a HUGE overflow queue down there that is never used (except for HHN). It would be rather simple to make that the new tram loading area.

Here are my thoughts for Potterland:

The Green ... existing Tram ... Ride building for Forbidden Journey. Will have to have a back-side similar to BTTF as mention by F!an for filming purposes. Plus this is a bit lower than the rest of the HP area.

The Pink ... existing Gibson ... This is Hogwarts.

The Blue ... this is Hogsmead, etc. This would also expand into some of Gibson as I don't think Hogwarts is bigger than Gibson.

The Yellow ... existing Waterwold ... further HP expansion to include additional dark-ride, coaster, etc. This area is pretty removed from the park and could possibly have an outdoor coaster or could be inside.

By doing it this way, it would make the entrance to HP land pretty much directly across from the existing House of Horrors area.

Comment

I am going to stand firm on my stance, that if you want to experience the WWoHP you need to get on a plane and come visit us in Sunny Florida.

You guys can get Lord of the Rings. lol
            Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Comment

Originally posted by KingEric View Post
              I am going to stand firm on my stance, that if you want to experience the WWoHP you need to get on a plane and come visit us in Sunny Florida.

You guys can get Lord of the Rings. lol
              I agree! This is coming from a guy who lives in LA! lol

A LotR ride would be awesome. That would leave some room for another ride and LotR could use Pandora's Box technology or something like that.

Comment

Please no! I live really close to USH and do not want this. I think this was lightning in a bottle in Orlando. Duplicating it would only lessen the draw of Islands of Adventure. I never seen so many Californians want to go to Orlando before Harry Potter opened up.

Timing is also everything. If they build it in USH, it won't be finished for another 5 years or so, maybe more. There won't be any more Potter films opening up and buzz will eventually die down. People will start going "this is better in Orlando" or "this is better in hollywood". It's Disneyland vs WDW all over and that's not a good thing.

Chasing success by being a copycat isn't smart, at least not when it requires years to complete. By then, maybe people will be tired of Potter. Who knows? I think it would be huge for USH at the start but being local based, it will eventually become stale, much like everything else there.

What USH DOES need to do is recreate a completely authentic themed environment that rivals Disneyland. Doing a repeat of Harry Potter though... it'd be a deathly (s)hallow move.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
                http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
                http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

For the record, I never said I liked the idea, just that I thought it would work.

Comment

Duplicate Wizarding World of Harry Potter? No... I'd much rather see USH get their OWN version, that would compliment the East Coast version rather than draw visitors from it. Of course it should include the castle along with an alternate version of Forbidden Journey (similar story, same ride vehicle, but different scenes. But aside from Forbidden Journey, I think the ride land should start, as Sir Clinksalot said, across from the Horror House, near the Blue Brothers, making that area at the end of "Main Street" almost a hub for Uni. The New York streets would then blend into London, before guests pass under a brick arch next to the "Leaky Cauldron" into Diagon Alley. Like Hogsmede, Diagon Alley would include lots of shops, including "Weasly Bros. Jokes," "Olivanders," "Flurish and Blotts," and "Honeydukes;" restaurants including the "Leaky Cauldron;" and a great deal of store fronts. At the end, of course, would be Gringotts, a walk through like Sleeping Beauty's Castle at DLP with a fire breathing dragon from book 7

Of course, to the left of Gringotts, at the end of Diagon Alley, guests would find the Hogwarts Express at Platform 9 3/4. The way scaled-down Kings Cross would just be devoted to the Hogwarts Express, which would take guests through the English country side, into a sound stage with a King Kong 360 type show scene (not sure exactly what would happen). Of course, the Express would drop guests off in front of the grand Hogwarts Castle, slightly altered from the WDW version with a small lake and bridge, at Hogsmede Station (but no Hogsmede).

Here's a plan I based of Sir Clinksalot idea:
                    http://www.scribblemaps.com/#id=Wiza...ellite&y=0&p=0

For reference: the big white circle between the first and second escalators would be the new tram loading. After going down the reaching the first landing, another escalator would lead down in between the two track splits--the new Tram would have a duel loading to maximise capacity ala Small World or Thunder Mountain. The teal is the new route.

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter West is pretty straightforward--the white is the path, and the red are the shops of Diagon Alley; the building with the teal dot at the junction is Gringotts, and the black building to its left is the Hogwarts Expresss Station, built into the side of the Forbidden Journey show building. The train would travel counter-clockwise through some foliage and over service roads before entering a disguised show building with some sort of scene on the 360 screen possibly simulating an express journey. The train would emerge in a hilly landscape before Hogwarts (purple) comes into view. The train would drop of at a rather simple Hogsmede station overlooking the lake in front of Hogwarts, which sits on top of a rock cliff face that would also block the show building (brown). To get back to Diagon Alley guests would have to take the tain back through a shorter ride.

This is a very rough plan, but as you can see, a Harry Potter West could easily compliment rather than be blatantly worse or better than the East version. If anything like this is being considered, Disney just has one more thing to worry about.
                    Last edited by MactheMan; 12-05-2010, 02:40 PM.

Comment

^ That sounds like a good plan to me. Plus, it would leave more space where WW is for a trackless MIB-style ride.

Comment

Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
                        Trying to chase money who can't afford the product isn't the way to success. By building something up to be elusive and worthwhile... you can get people to spend more $$ to get it.

UNI will love the people paying to stay in their hotels to visit HP - not love 'well another boat load of APs were able to come see HP today!'
                        Disney sure doesn't see it that way going from 200k to 1m passholders in a year. Disney TDA seems quite content to have the foot traffic regardless of spending just to come visit attractions.
                        It may have zippity to do with doo-dah :ccool:

Comment

Originally posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
                          We'll they are making most of the lower lot (the area's you were talking about) into apartments (their is another thread about there plans for the next 20 years).
                          This is incorrect, the lower lot (just below the Los Angeles River) is being preserved for production space. The farthest part of the property, from the NE corner at Forest Lawn Drive down to the 101 Freeway, just west of Barham Blvd. is the location of the residential development.

Comment

^if you read this article Universal Studios Hollywood lays out 20-year plan for future theme park attractions - latimes.com It says what in the lower lot they intend to move (or destroy) for the apartments.
                            Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

^if you read this article Universal Studios Hollywood lays out 20-year plan for future theme park attractions - latimes.com It says what in the lower lot they intend to move (or destroy) for the apartments.
                              You have yourself mixed up. The theme park is broken into the upper lot (T2, Shrek, ST, etc) and the lower lot JP, Mummy, Transformers, etc) while the studio consists of the front lot (sound stages, bungalows, etc) and the back lot (Metro sets, Denver Street, Little Europe, etc). The area the 20yr plan talks about (Falls Lake, Colonial Street, etc) is part of the back lot.

Comment

NBC Universal Evolution

See for yourself, it's exactly as I described it.

Comment

Okay, here's what my plan would be. There would be room for another ride where WW is and Forbidden Journey would go where Gibson is. That is, if Wizzarding World HAD to come.

EDIT: Nevermind. The link failed. Hogsmeade would have started where Gibson entrance would be, area between Gibson and the ride would be where Hoggsmeade would be, and FJ would be where Gibson is. Again, this is if WWoHP HAS to come.

Comment

Someone very high up in Universal hopes Harry Potter shows up west. Not concrete but it's a verbal desire.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
                                    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
                                    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

Originally posted by Coheteboy View Post
                                      Someone very high up in Universal hopes Harry Potter shows up west. Not concrete but it's a verbal desire.
                                      I'm honestly just whatever on this. I'd rather it stay unique to the East (This is coming from someone who lives on the West Coast), although I won't be pissed if it does come here. All I request is that they keep WaterWorld open for a ride other than Potter. *cough cough MIB-ish ride cough cough*

Comment

^just so you know the chances of a MIB ride is at about 00.1% the series is about done (yes a new movie is coming out but thats about it)
                                        Despicable Me has more of a chance since we'll see tow more films and maybe even a Minions TV show...remember almost 90 Percent of the time a ride or show will have a tie into something that will make them money, plus I don't get why you want to see a clone ride or MIB when Potter would be a clone but with more detail.
                                        Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

^just so you know the chances of a MIB ride is at about 00.1% the series is about done (yes a new movie is coming out but thats about it)
                                          Despicable Me has more of a chance since we'll see tow more films and maybe even a Minions TV show...remember almost 90 Percent of the time a ride or show will have a tie into something that will make them money, plus I don't get why you want to see a clone ride or MIB when Potter would be a clone but with more detail.
                                          That's why I said MIB-ish ride. lol. I've said it before and I'll say it again, since Ghostbusters 3 comes out soon, assuming it does well, they should take advantage of the plans put away from Dubai and make a Ghostbusters trackless interactive dark ride where WaterWorld is. Despicable Me I can see as a more likely replacement for Shrek.

Comment

Working...
                                          X