X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Universal Orlando off site hotel questions/help

Hi everyone,

So I miiiight be going to USO in may and want to know mainly about off site hotel location in regards to how long the walk is to the theme parks and if there are shuttle services? I am currently looking at hotels right outside the entrance to Universal since I would rather not have to walk that far to get to the actual park. So for instance, I was looking at the Double Tree at the Universal Entrance and it looks like it is right at the entrance of the resort, but does that still make it a long walk to the parks??? And I'm not even sure of/if there are multiple entrances to the resort. When I visited Universal last summer, I stayed on site at the Royal Pacific and it was awesome, so I obviously that would be my number one pick. But I don't really want to pay that much for a room this time around.

Any advice on good hotels that are still very close to the parks would be much appreciated! I basically want to have the shortest walk to Islands of Adventure as possible, and less than the over 200/night the on-site hotels offer. Thank you!!

flower gleam & glow...

Re: Universal Orlando off site hotel questions/help

I could be completely wrong, but I'm not sure any off-site hotel is really walkable. It appeared from my visit that the parks are pretty deep inside the property and that the entire are is surrounded by a multi-lane road. It was a drive in just to get to the parking garage, and the parks are deeper in still. I don't think there are many entrances into the area--most of it seemed to be a berm. I'm not even sure there were sidewalks fully along the surrounding roads.

Being used to Disneyland, where you can easily walk from several hotels, it was a little disappointing--but not a big deal. Even though we had to pay parking, at least the drive was super short and there were plenty of spaces.

Edit for clarification: If you do drive in, that gives you a little more flexibility in options--there seem to be plenty of decent hotels within a few miles. Many of these hotels will offer shuttles if you are unable to drive in. Unfortunately, I would not recommend the specific hotel I stayed in. It was super close, but it was literally the cheapest option (Travelocity had a one day $29 special) and frankly I'd pay more to be in Motel 6 or Ramada or such
    Last edited by BrerDan; 03-14-2011, 12:24 PM.

Comment

thanks for the help. only having stayed on-site i have no idea what the distance from park to off property is so thanks for letting me know it's prob unwalkable unlike good 'ol disneyland! and it's nice to hear there are shuttles because most of the hotel websites i've looked at don't specify if there is a shuttle to universal or not, which i find weird because that is factored into my decision. We probably won't be renting a car since we will only be going for a quick trip over the weekend and are only going to universal orlando...very upset that we won't be going to disneyworld! (but the rest of my family hasn't seen the wizarding world & since i'm such a huge HP geek, i'm very exctied to soak up all the wizardingness again soon).

flower gleam & glow...

Comment

and any more advice is strongly encouraged!

flower gleam & glow...

Comment

If the shuttle is a must, I would scope out what you think would be a decent place and then call to 1) verify they do have a shuttle and 2) find out what time the shuttle runs. While many hotels do have shuttles, not all do and even if they do, I think they vary widely in terms of how often they run/when they start running. You can still do your reservation online--but I'd doublecheck via phone on the shuttle part.

I will say that if your goal is Harry Potter, and thus getting to the park before opening, you might want to consider getting a cab. I wouldn't be surprised to see the park open at 8, but the first shuttle stop being at 9 or such inconsistency. The shuttles aren't usually designed for fanatics that want to be in line at opening and stay until close.....

Originally posted by kburford View Post
          thanks for the help. only having stayed on-site i have no idea what the distance from park to off property is so thanks for letting me know it's prob unwalkable unlike good 'ol disneyland! and it's nice to hear there are shuttles because most of the hotel websites i've looked at don't specify if there is a shuttle to universal or not, which i find weird because that is factored into my decision. We probably won't be renting a car since we will only be going for a quick trip over the weekend and are only going to universal orlando...very upset that we won't be going to disneyworld! (but the rest of my family hasn't seen the wizarding world & since i'm such a huge HP geek, i'm very exctied to soak up all the wizardingness again soon).

Comment

ahh thank you. i will call hotels, but it's currently not looking good for the offsite hotel (which may be in my favor to use as ammo to convince the fam to stay on-site mwahahaha)

flower gleam & glow...

Comment

There's a Holiday Inn on Kirkman Rd that's right across the street from Universal. I mean literally, the entrance and parking garage is right across the street. I stayed that last month when I was in Orlando for work and it was very nice. The entire hotel was recently renovated.

Comment

thanks aimster. that's the direct area i was looking at...holiday inn, doubletree etc. if i may, did you walk, drive, or use a shuttle? as i stated earlier, we will not have a car and would probably rather walk since we can control when to come and go versus waiting for a shuttle. If you have any answers, are shuttles often (brer dan has let me know they usually arent and walking is too far). But i would love getting other perspectives esp. since you stayed exactly where i am looking. So does it seem walkable to the park enterances from the holiday inn? and is there a shuttle?

flower gleam & glow...

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X