This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Universal Studios Hollywood HHN Tickets on Sale

^ Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Fright Fest is better by ANY stretch of the imagination.

2 years ago when Universal had the Nightmare on Elm Street maze we were standing in the same spot for something like 8 minutes. NOTHING scary about that.

Comment

Seems fairly priced. And everything is easily doable if you get there on time. I've always done all of the mazes/attractions and usually get to do a few twice w/o front of the line pass. You don't have to rush, but you do have to arrive an hour before opening. Sure, if you arrive at 9pm and want to do it all you may need a front of the line pass, but that is your fault for thinking you can do 7-8 attractions in 4/5 hours. That is often nearly impossible at Disneyland, even with the use of Fastpass.

Originally posted by sir clinksalot View Post
      2 years ago when Universal had the Nightmare on Elm Street maze we were standing in the same spot for something like 8 minutes. NOTHING scary about that.
      This sounds more analogous to a ride going 101 at any other park. This was not my typical experience at HHN.
      Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

Comment

Originally posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
        Problem is going to the lower lot first means you miss 3 mazes up top... that get crowded by the first house....while the lower mazes don't get crowded for 2 hours meaning

If you hit the top 3 mazes (T2 Q, Western Stage and behind Shrek) you go down to the lines are still 20 mins or less for 2 mazes....

Go to the lower lot first and come back up I grantee that every maze will be 20 mins or more and once you get down with the first one..the second one will be 30 mins long..and your third one 40 mins

This is what I've seen is it just takes too long to get to the bottom to be worth it to get on two mazes walk on
        Well as I said, I also do the rides. If I were just doing mazes, I'd probably agree with you. But getting done 2 mazes and 3 rides in under an hour is far better than just getting done 3 mazes in an hour. Even if you've been to Universal a hundred times, it just makes sense to get more bang for your buck that way. As much as I love HHN, $40 is not worth the drive, the parking, the food and the time for just mazes.

Plus, I don't like front loading all the mazes at the beginning of my night. I'd hate to think that by the time it reaches 9, I won't be experiencing anything new anymore. I honestly don't mind waiting in an hour line as long as it means I get to stay there and hang out with friends for a longer period of time instead of getting bored by 11 and leaving early. I could do repeats, but waiting an hour plus for a maze I've already gone through is just crazy talk to me. Which is also why I do all the rides first too, because waiting an hour for any of those during HHN is just lunacy. So 5 attractions by 8, and then spreading out the other 5 - 6 attractions over the course of the next 6 hours is fine by me.

Plus, like I said, I do EVERYTHING every single year, so my plan works and I'm not missing anything, I assure you, haha.

Originally posted by sir clinksalot View Post
        As someone else said, that's not the usual for HHN. Every queue I've been in, whether it be a 5 minute wait or a 80 minute one, the line is constantly moving. It's just crazy to think that if you small step throughout the entire queue, it'd take you however much time it was that was listed :-P

Comment

^to each his own...I can skip The Simpsons rides since I'm an AP (also have parking) for me the night comes out to maybe 58 Bucks with everything since I go with a group, I get parking free and gas split

If someone is looking to get on all the mazes without waiting over half and hour I'd recommend the top 3 mazes first...if you don't care then..well then go down stairs to at least get Transformers done before it gets a 2 hour wait
          Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

I didn't have FOTL pass last year and everything went great. I'm glad I didn't as it's only useful for 1 entry, unlike in 2010. But it's just my preference. If they did unlimited again, then I think it would be worth the money. We were able to hit every maze, some twice. There are going to be lines so I was just ready to handle them. We started with the lower lot, got both mazes done twice and went on Jurassic & Mummy. Then we went back upstairs to hit a maze. Then ate. Terror Tram. Hit the last maze. & had time to hit another maze & HOH before the Bill & Ted show. Worked out great. Especially since I'm not trying to see everything at Universal so I'm not going to pay extra for a front seat to some of the attractions. If you're there for primarily mazes, rides like Simpsons or Mummy are easily skip-able & Since HOTC was a repeat I didn't bother. I didn't really enjoy La Llorona so that will be the repeat to skip for me, & I was able to go on twice. HOH at some point will have a decent or short wait. I'm going use the same plan this year but the only ride I'm concerned about is Transformers so I'm going to ride that instead of Mummy/JP. If you're planning on hitting all rides and mazes though, FOTL pass would be worth it. But if you're like me and only hitting what you want to see, which isn't everything, I'd say FOTL pass isn't worth it.

Comment

$46 - $66 is about average now for October Theme Park fun ... no matter where you go there will always be crowds that make the experience start to suck - but I will agree there is a system to follow which allows you to hit all the major Mazes, then squeeze in the Terror Tram, saving Bill and Ted for the end (how you manage time to go use the bathroom and / or grab food - drinks is another matter of discussion) & it does involve hustling (if you are a slow poke, then you will hate October Theme Park fun) ...

The only solution I can think of if the maximum amount of admission allowed for Universal Halloween Horror Nights is lowered so that it is less crowded - but wouldn't this cause the admission prices to increase? (lets be honest - Theme Parks want your $ - they don't care how they get it & as long as people are willing to pay extra for "front of line" et al its going to suck some times) ...

I do attend on a budget & I suck it up once things get crowded. I'm there to have fun, even if it means taking advantage of "single rider" / "single access"; which often gets me in quicker then "front of line" (perhaps that's part of the solution, know when to go solo vs as a group) ...

C J
              sigpic

I <3 Making Friends Who Share The Same Interests :-)

http://www.facebook.com/darkamor

http://www.twitter.com/darkamor

Comment

I just called Universal in regards to the VIP tickets that just went on sale. We will be in LA from New Hampshire and our last day (Sept 21st) was going to be at Universal, so my question was what a day/night VIP pass would cost. The response was that I will be paying $238 each for my wife and I for a daytime pass and a VIP HHN pass. I was told I needed to secure my $99 day/night combo for that day, and they took my name/phone/e-mail and put me on a list and once the system had the availability to upgrade they would contact me. It seemed a little odd, but the person on the phone was so fluid, it made it seem commonplace. Having lived in LA and also central Florida and having annual passes to all parks, it pains me to spend $500 for two people for one day a Universal. Sweet Jesus, please be worth it, my wife will never agree to a theme park vacation again.

Comment

Originally posted by darkamor View Post
                  $46 - $66 is about average now for October Theme Park fun ... no matter where you go there will always be crowds that make the experience start to suck - but I will agree there is a system to follow which allows you to hit all the major Mazes, then squeeze in the Terror Tram, saving Bill and Ted for the end (how you manage time to go use the bathroom and / or grab food - drinks is another matter of discussion) & it does involve hustling (if you are a slow poke, then you will hate October Theme Park fun) ...

The only solution I can think of if the maximum amount of admission allowed for Universal Halloween Horror Nights is lowered so that it is less crowded - but wouldn't this cause the admission prices to increase? (lets be honest - Theme Parks want your $ - they don't care how they get it & as long as people are willing to pay extra for "front of line" et al its going to suck some times) ...

I do attend on a budget & I suck it up once things get crowded. I'm there to have fun, even if it means taking advantage of "single rider" / "single access"; which often gets me in quicker then "front of line" (perhaps that's part of the solution, know when to go solo vs as a group) ...

C J
                  Or...have more mazes....to be honest Knotts has 13 and that really helps since it spreads people out more...and they have more rides open

So really the problem with Universal is more it has less things to do...this is why I think WaterWorld and the Magic show should be up too....we need more things to spread people out
                  Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

BurningStroller it depends. Since you will be in the park during the day you can get the attractions out of the way as well as the shows. Last year I did the VIP experience for Horror Nights and it was changed in some ways better than the years before. However the only extras I feel were worth it was the "unlimited use " of front of the line passes, the "Vampire Lounge" with free soft drinks/water or 2 free alcoholic drinks and the finger foods were yummy BUT make sure you come back when they put out the dessert buffet. I ended up eating way too much (had to sample just about everything). Plus the "rat lady" was intriguing as well as entertaining. However for that price this year I'm going to Knott's Scary Farm as well as some other Halloween events around that are just amazing (gives Universal a run for its money). This year we are skipping VIP and just attending one night with front of line passes due to budget. It seems that each year prices increase and yet every single maze feels like a huge "conga line" as well as just way too many people in the park to be honest. Compared to Knott's with 13 mazes and all their attractions open it gives guests a lot more to do and spread out. Plus going on a weeknight compared to a weekend is the best advice I can give.

Comment

Originally posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
                      Or...have more mazes....to be honest Knotts has 13 and that really helps since it spreads people out more...and they have more rides open

So really the problem with Universal is more it has less things to do...this is why I think WaterWorld and the Magic show should be up too....we need more things to spread people out

I firmly agree with that - more Rides & Attractions open will spread the crowd around the entire theme park (Knott's realized a long time ago, the more Mazes? the better overall experience. I wish Universal Hollywood would follow suit). I just went "ouch" over a post above coming to approx $500 each for Out Of Town Guests (I'm guessing this is a Hotel - Vacation - VIP Experience) because that is out of my budget, but I hope its a great experience for them ...

C J
                      sigpic

I <3 Making Friends Who Share The Same Interests :-)

http://www.facebook.com/darkamor

http://www.twitter.com/darkamor

Comment

Ya I read that too. Would I spend $500 for the day and night with VIP experience? Honestly NO way. I might get the front of the line pass but that would be the maximum I'd spend. I really don't in my opinion think its worth it to spend that much money.

I really wish Universal would think a little like Knott's. The more mazes and shows and attractions open the less crowds all in one spot. Plus I HATE going thru a maze in a conga line. I've been to quite a few attractions where it is just the group I'm I'm going thru a maze and you do NOT see anyone else plus they are on par or even better than Universal. So much so one actually made me cry with the scariness factor. If Universal had more offerings and lowered the capacity (I'd gladly pay more with less crowds). I wouldn't think twice about going.
                        Heck even looking forward to Knott's VIP maze which is an up charge. They're keeping details hush hush so I guess we will know how good or bad it is come Sept 21st.

Im heading into this years Halloween events with an open mind. The past few years Universal has come out on top for me maybe because it's a movie studio and their Horror Nights have surpassed Knott's even but this year I'm beginning to wonder.

Comment

It was a painful decision but, whatever, when am I going to be in Orlando or Hollywood again in October. Might as well do it big. We're also spening 2 nights at the Hilton in Universal City. That entire Universal stay is costing almost as much as our 6 days at Disneyland.

I suppose when I get back home and have to suffer through the lame and overpriced Halloween events where I live, I'll be happy I spent the money.

Comment

Originally posted by BurningStroller View Post
                            I just called Universal in regards to the VIP tickets that just went on sale. We will be in LA from New Hampshire and our last day (Sept 21st) was going to be at Universal, so my question was what a day/night VIP pass would cost. The response was that I will be paying $238 each for my wife and I for a daytime pass and a VIP HHN pass. I was told I needed to secure my $99 day/night combo for that day, and they took my name/phone/e-mail and put me on a list and once the system had the availability to upgrade they would contact me. It seemed a little odd, but the person on the phone was so fluid, it made it seem commonplace. Having lived in LA and also central Florida and having annual passes to all parks, it pains me to spend $500 for two people for one day a Universal. Sweet Jesus, please be worth it, my wife will never agree to a theme park vacation again.
                            i really hope you know that the reason for that high price tag is for the daytime VIP experence. that is the one where you get to walk around on the backlot and is an additional 200 bucks off the 80 dollar general admission. if you want just to do the night time RIP that would probably save you some cash

Comment

I went last year for the first time and did the front of the line pass and had a great time! The lines were long so I ended up buying to pass this year again. I like having the option to taking my time and I don't really need to do any mazes twice.
                              Jeff Wayne

Comment

Actually, I have a question regarding parking--not sure if anyone else can help.

I have a regular annual pass that includes parking. But you can only park for free if an hour before regular box office hours close. So if the regular park closes as 6, which I think it does on HHN nights, you'd need to park before 5.

So here's my question. If I went up to the park during the day and got my parking pass, is it still good if I return to HHN later that same night?

For the record, I've asked this of a few employees, and they say it should. But they said it with hesitation, as if they didn't really know. I've never actually tried it; would it work? Can you reenter parking, either regularly or for HHN?
                                Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

Comment

It should be....I mean at Disneyland you can return anytime as long as the parking ticket is good for that day......so I would assume Universal is the same
                                  Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

Not necessarily. At SFMM, you can only reenter once. And at Knott's, there is no reentry with parking at all--if you leave and come back, you have to pay again.

I would sort of assume on a regular day, you could probably leave and come back with the same parking tag (although not that I've tried it), but since HHN is a special event, I wasn't as sure it'd still apply.
                                    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

Comment

^yeah then...I'd call to make sure

(also screw Knotts parking...cost 20 bucks..and you cant re enter? just wow)
                                      Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

Has anyone parked at the Metro Parking for HHN? I park there about once a month for a regular day at Universal and have never had a problem.. I am more hesitant to park there getting back to my car at 2am or later.. I would die if it gets towed! I would add parking to my pass but I will be going to HHN about 10 times this season and it would not even be valid after 5pm.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X