• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lazyboy97O
    враг народа
    • Mar 2005

Re: Hogwarts Express Letdown?

Originally posted by Big D View Post
    There are trains that have locomotives at either end so that they can quickly depart in the other direction, so that would be my guess. It wouldn't be hard for UNI to hide the locomotive in the back of your train when you are loading, and you'd never see it from the train, so I'm sure it will always look like you are going forward regardless of which direction the train is going.
    There is only one locomotive and it is only for show as the trains are cable cars.

Comment

• DisCollector
      MiceChatter
      • Nov 2012

Spoiler Alert! I don't know if it's necessary, but just in case.

While the screen seems off with the fact it seems to be just a television, I read that it's apparently 3D. Don't know how the 3D will work, or how well it will work. But if it works well it will definitely add an interesting element. It will at least be something a little different rather than just watching tv. Also, we'll see shadows of our favorite trio apparently along with Dementors potentially.

In the beginning process of them talking about the ride, Universal made it sound as if your experience will differ, so anything could really happen. You could see shadows of students, a Dementor, or something else. Who knows?

Comment

• toonaspie
        Nutty about Disney parks
        • Aug 2006

Videos of both ride experiences (going from Diagon Alley to Hogsmeade and vice versa) are available online.

I think it's great. I like that it's an attraction in itself and you get your own enclosed private room for the surrounding experience. If it had been a standard train ride between the two parks you would be looking at nothing but backstage buildings during both trips. This way you're still within the Harry Potter world even when switching parks and as Disney would put it, keeps you in the magic without taking you out.

Comment

• PlutoHasFleas
          Kingdom Keeper
          • May 2013

Real-life Hogwarts Express train debuts at Universal Orlando, bringing Muggles from Diagon Alley to Hogwarts and back | Inside the Magic

Approximately 1.2% of the posts in the Walt Disney World Resort MiceChat forum have been contributed by PlutoHasFleas

Comment

• cruise
            Certified in everything
            • Jul 2005

After reading some reviews of the look of the screens from the train windows, I may have jumped the gun on being disappointed with the projections.

However, I am disappointed that the trains just back out of the station in full view of guests (really think it only looks odd from Hogsmeade). I remember reading somewhere that there would be some attempt made to obscure the revised engine at the station and to not have guest on the platforms when the trains moved in reverse.

In hindsight this would make little practical sense, but I am still slightly disappointed that nothing at all was done.
            Last edited by cruise; 06-27-2014, 07:37 PM.
            Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

Comment

• JtnOrl
              • May 2006

Originally posted by DisCollector View Post
              Spoiler Alert! I don't know if it's necessary, but just in case.

While the screen seems off with the fact it seems to be just a television, I read that it's apparently 3D. Don't know how the 3D will work, or how well it will work. But if it works well it will definitely add an interesting element. It will at least be something a little different rather than just watching tv. Also, we'll see shadows of our favorite trio apparently along with Dementors potentially.
              It isn't a typical 3D effect. The layered screen technology is designed to give the visuals more depth. Things will look like they're closer or farther away, aided by the use of parallax (line of sight), but they aren't meant to "pop out" as is usually the case with 3D.

Originally posted by DisCollector View Post
              In the beginning process of them talking about the ride, Universal made it sound as if your experience will differ, so anything could really happen. You could see shadows of students, a Dementor, or something else. Who knows?
              There's two different ride experiences, one for each direction you're traveling. No randomization.

Originally posted by cruise View Post
              However, I am disappointed that the trains just back out of the station in full view of guests (really think it only looks odd from Hogsmeade). I remember reading somewhere that there would be some attempt made to observe the revised engine at the station and to not have guest on the platforms when the trains moved in reverse.
              I too find it surprising that guests get to see the train leave Hogsmeade, if that is indeed the case, but it isn't a deal breaker or anything. Real trains have been known to travel in reverse.
              Last edited by JtnOrl; 06-24-2014, 08:27 PM.

Comment

• JCW
                New MiceChatter
                • Jul 2014

We just went about two weeks ago.

Yes, the "windows" are screens. They are executed fairly well, and have a decent 3D look, but it's not really going to fool you.

There is also stuff that happens in the hallway outside your car. (silhouettes on the carriage glass doors)

It did all seem a little rushed.... kind of like "let's see how many things we can throw into a 5 or 6 minute train ride..." a bunch of look left, look right, huh cool, look left, we've arrived... wave at Hagrid who somehow got ahead of us, changed, and is welcoming students...

It's not going to blow your socks off. But it wasn't bad either. Diagon Alley as a whole (buildings, feeling, atmosphere, etc.) was better, and pretty cool. Much better than the other more "open air" Hogwarts area of the park. (In my opinion)

Comment

• BlAcKoUt510
                  Hello Dolly.
                  • May 2008

This ride was awesome. Not a letdown at all. Being in the station watching the train come in is a trip! Glad to hear the they've been able to keep the line a decent wait.

Comment

• Big D
                    Expert Churro Salesman
                    • Feb 2008

I thought it was just kind of fun but not awesome or visually amazing. A more fun way to get from one park to another then a regular tram or monorail.
                    Disneyland Cast Member
                    Outdoor Vending
                    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:

http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

Comment

• mainejeff
                      MiceChatter
                      • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Big D View Post
                      I thought it was just kind of fun but not awesome or visually amazing. A more fun way to get from one park to another then a regular tram or monorail.
                      Agreed. I think that walking through Kings Cross Station and seeing the train for the first time was the biggest highlight. The stations and train exterior are very well executed. And it really is a great way to go from park to park......my feet were very happy for that. I was disappointed that there was no burst of cold air during the Dementor scene. The cabin itself feels realistic but the window scenes fall flat for the most part. I did enjoy the window scenes traveling from Hogsmeade to London much more than traveling from London to Hogsmeade. Overall though......it's a pretty ground breaking concept and definitely a must ride for first timers and Potter fans.

Comment

• Big D
                        Expert Churro Salesman
                        • Feb 2008

Also, maybe the ride isn't long enough, but I don't understand why Universal would want to make a little more money by having a real sweet trolley go through that you can actually buy candy from. I did ask one of the conductors and they said it's totally fine for you to bring your own food and drinks on the train.
                        Disneyland Cast Member
                        Outdoor Vending
                        1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:

http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X