Announcement

Collapse
See more
See less

Universal Agrees to bring Nintendo to Universal Theme Parks & Resorts!

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News Universal Agrees to bring Nintendo to Universal Theme Parks & Resorts!

Big news, in what could be one of the largest rights deal for any theme park; the Nintendo IPs. Its been announced by Kotaku that Universal will be bringing the largest game companys portfolio to the Universal Theme Park brand. Details on whats coming are scarce but its big news as the Company, Nintendo hasn't done something like this in a long time.

Thoughts?
    I'm working as i'm with my autobots.

Re: Universal Agrees to bring Nintendo to Universal Theme Parks & Resorts!

I have a few thoughts, but overall, I am cautiously optimistic, though more optimistic than cautious.

I am cautious because Nintendo hasn't had the best results when working with outside companies. Examples: Philip CD-I games, "Super Mario Brothers" movie, and those craptastic cartoons. And I am slightly amused because back in the day Universal attempted to sue Nintendo over the use of "Kong" in "Donkey Kong."

However, I am optimistic, as it should be loads of fun.

Comment

I would have never imagined Nintendo would lend out it's IPs to a theme park, but now that they have, I'm glad it's with Universal. UC has been hitting them out of the park recently so it only gives me hope for some amazing stuff regardless of how controlling (or sometimes not) Nintendo can be over its IP. I mean what if it was with Six Flags? Then I'd be hugely disappointed.

Comment

I wonder with all of Universal's other recent improvements, where exactly would they put Nintendo themed stuff? Would they need another expansion, or would they replace E.T. and the stuff in KidZone with them? It would make sense to replace stuff like Fievel and Barney with Nintendo at least.

Comment

I appreciate this'll get dismissed instantly, but you don't suppose they might use this new IP to slowly phase out Marvel?
          sigpic

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
          Walt Disney

Comment

I am not sure how this will look when they decide to design attractions based of nintendo but it should be interesting.
            These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
            My company had a special night at the park
            WdW trip report with WWoHP
            NYE 2011 trip report
            Mice Chat 7th anniversary
            Leap year 24 hour report
            New DCA trip report
            NYE 2012
            HKDL trip report

Comment

Universal is aggressive! I hope they build a few great rides based on Nintendo's many world famous IP's.

Meanwhile at WDW: New plastic grass in the hub!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hathaway Browne View Post
                I appreciate this'll get dismissed instantly, but you don't suppose they might use this new IP to slowly phase out Marvel?
                No. They have other plans for Marvel (and it's not the phasing out kind.) This is going in the Studios.

Comment

Originally posted by Hathaway Browne View Post
                  I can't imagine Uni giving up Marvel unless Disney comes up with a dollar amount that starts with at least a B. I'm sure preventing Disney from having Marvel in Florida is worth more than any amount Uni actually makes from the Marvel attractions.

However, this new IP could still be a game changer in the rest of the park. With Princess Peach and Zelda, Uni finally has something to fight Disney in the "Princess" space.

The press release was pretty limited. It's not clear the length of the license. If it is long term I can imagine more of a focus on Nintendo vs Marvel if Uni is locked into limited Marvel character representations.

Comment

I'll be excited in a few years but....I have no clue what rides we might be getting or when so...I can contain my excitement for now
                    Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

The headline should read "Nintendo Agrees to let Universal use its characters".

Comment

The Nintendo project is actually going to be starting probably a lot sooner than what people have expected. The Soundstages next to the Transformers ride are all scheduled to be demolished in September to get ready to build the land that will feature the Mario Brothers, Pokemon, Zelda, and Donkey Kong.

Comment

Some new leaks/rumors reporting it'll be a third gate. Although critics are pointing out that Universal doesn't own enough land, the OP is claiming they just acquired enough land and new details will be coming out soon:
                          http://www.slashfilm.com/universal-v...me-theme-park/

Of note, it's being reported that it'll be a whole Video Game themed park, relying heavily on Nintendo and Blizzard (since Universal is releasing the Warcraft movie). Universal Japan already has attractions based on Resident Evil, so I could see that transitioning over as well. Universal was in talks to develop a Halo and Bioshock movies, but even though those fell through, perhaps they still have a good enough relationship to include those franchises into the park as well. It'll be interesting to see if this comes out as true or not.

Comment

It was leaked of whats happening with Nintendo more recently with their relationship with Universal.

‚ÄčThe big news, is that Osakas budget, location, and timeline has been leaked; from many forms of media. The budget for the project will bring Comcast with going around 350 million dollars in the budget, which is one hundred million shy of Hogsmeades budget.

It was also revealed that the area it'd go for is near the front entrance of the park; taking the studio portion, the 4D theatre and the indoor rollercoaster; Space Fantasy with it to create it.

It has also been revealed that they are aiming for a 2020 opening, which is on par with the year of the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.

It was also mentioned in the leaks, that the final agreement will be overdone on Friday, so it shouldn't be much of a surprise if we get an announcement very soon on how Universal Creative will handle the IPs of Nintendo.
                            I'm working as i'm with my autobots.

Comment

Working...
                            X