Get Away Today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watchout disneyland

Harry Potter ‘Wizarding World’ Opening 2016 in Universal Hollywood | Variety

THIS SOUNDS AMAZING!!! What is this going to mean for disney? Ticket prices? New attractions? What are your thoughts? There is NO denying this is going to put a dent in disney

Re: Watchout disneyland

Or it'll attract more visitors to S. California and help Disneyland.

Iger is big on announcements and he's skilled with the media, so expect dramatic Star Wars-land news at D23 on August 14.

Comment

Nothing...which is funny because we all know if Walt was around he'd make dam sure to have a new attraction that blows Potterland out of the waters....but sadly he's not around any more
      Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

I am not sure it will have any impact to Disney. When WHHOP opened in Orlando, Disney World took a slight dip in attendance for 2010, however it has climbed significantly since then.

I don't see as many tourists coming into LA just to go to USH as there are that would visit Orlando and only go to USO. If anything, I think more tourists might come to see WWOHP at USH and then spend additional days at DLR. Disney may see a bump in attendance as a result.

Comment

Originally posted by DsnyRnr View Post
          I am not sure it will have any impact to Disney. When WHHOP opened in Orlando, Disney World took a slight dip in attendance for 2010, however it has climbed significantly since then.

I don't see as many tourists coming into LA just to go to USH as there are that would visit Orlando and only go to USO. If anything, I think more tourists might come to see WWOHP at USH and then spend additional days at DLR. Disney may see a bump in attendance as a result.
          It is possible however people go to orlando Specifically for WDW. People come to LA because its LA. Typically families reserve one day for theme parks, comparing ticket prices disney may see a decline.

Comment

I have a feeling Disneyland will sit on its success for a while, sadly!
            Dave

Comment

Originally posted by DsnyRnr View Post
              . . . Disney World took a slight dip in attendance for 2010, however it has climbed significantly since then.
              Has it? I thought that ever since the WWoHP opened, Universal Orlando has had double digit increases, while WDW--which has only had the new Fantasyland as its MAJOR addition--has been flat for the past few years.

What's the best source for theme park attendance #s?

Comment

Originally posted by oceanbreeze77 View Post
                It is possible however people go to orlando Specifically for WDW. People come to LA because its LA. Typically families reserve one day for theme parks, comparing ticket prices disney may see a decline.
                My bet is that if a family was only going to visit 1 theme park Disney wins.

Comment

I'm not a fan of Harry Poter so it will not do anything for me will never go see that. Infact I've never been to USH ever.

Comment

Originally posted by jcruise86 View Post
                    Has it? I thought that ever since the WWoHP opened, Universal Orlando has had double digit increases, while WDW--which has only had the new Fantasyland as its MAJOR addition--has been flat for the past few years.

It's a Wikipedia article, however I fact checked a couple of years through TEA reports and the numbers appear to be accurate. USO has seen exponential growth since WWOHP, but Disney definitely not "hurting" as a result.

List of amusement park rankings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

Honestly I don't see USH making that great of impact on DLR, only because of the distance. It's not the same thing as Orlando. The only park that I think could do some damage to DL is Knott's--BUT they would have to do a major overhaul of the area and expansion of the park.

Comment

I say this doesn't effect Disneyland at all. If it does very little. Use the WWoHP for reference and the effect it had on WDW. It will be interesting to see if the second phase even moved the needle more or less than the first part of WWoHP. This will make universal what it already is a one day experience. If I am going to USH as a tourist I am spending all day there now at least there are more offerings there. A second day though highly doubtful.
                        These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
                        My company had a special night at the park
                        WdW trip report with WWoHP
                        NYE 2011 trip report
                        Mice Chat 7th anniversary
                        Leap year 24 hour report
                        New DCA trip report
                        NYE 2012
                        HKDL trip report

Comment

People who don't think this will effect DLR are delusional. The question is whether it will be a positive or negative effect. I personally believe it will be a positive for DLR. If anything, it should force Iger and TDA to fast track another major expansion or at least a new E-ticket. I'm banking on a Marvel Studios addition to DCA or a Paradise Pier e-ticket addition but that's pure speculation.
                          "Fairy tales, then, are not responsible for producing in children fear, or any of the shapes of fear; fairy tales do not give the child the idea of the evil or the ugly; that is in the child already, because it is in the world already. Fairy tales do not give the child his first idea of bogey. What fairy tales give the child is his first clear idea of the possible defeat of bogey."
                          -
                          G.K. Chesterton

Comment

Based on the 2013 AECOM numbers:

Disneyland #3, 16.2 million visitors
                            Universal Hollywood #17, 6.1 million visitors

Universal Hollywood does not have the physical plant to approach closing the 10 million visitor gap with Disneyland.

It's worse for Knott's. Knott's at 3.6 million visitors (4 million with the water park added in) does not even make the top 25 amusement parks list. There is no way Knott's could make up the 12 million guest deficit between it and Disneyland.

Companywide, Disney is # 1 in the world with 132.5 million guests, Universal is #3 with 36 million guests, and Cedar Fair is No. 7 with 23.5 guests. Harry Potter may be very magical in fiction, but in reality Disney will probably lose more money on the Tomorrowland movie in a than Universal will make with Harry Potter attractions in a year.

Comment

Originally posted by TheWhiteWhale View Post
                              People who don't think this will effect DLR are delusional. The question is whether it will be a positive or negative effect. I personally believe it will be a positive for DLR. If anything, it should force Iger and TDA to fast track another major expansion or at least a new E-ticket. I'm banking on a Marvel Studios addition to DCA or a Paradise Pier e-ticket addition but that's pure speculation.
                              This is what I am hoping. I hope this will be a motivating force for Disney.

Comment

Universal is still only a 1-day park, so I imagine people will still come to So Cal and go to Disneyland, but they might cut their visit to Disneyland short in order to see Universal. So I'm guessing it will have an impact. On the other hand, Universal will probably see a huge increase in attendance. I was fortunate to be able to visit Universal Orlando last year, and even though I'm not the world's biggest Harry Potter fans (I liked the movies fine, but I'm not going to dress up or anything), I loved the Wizard World. And although the main ride was awesome, it was really more of the atmosphere and all of the cool stuff they had in the shops and restaurants that made it so much fun. I wish I could have spent more than one day there, and when this one opens I fully intend on getting an AP as long as they don't make them like $500 or anything like that. So where I think Disney will see it's biggest drop off is people who decide to get a UNI annual pass (even if it's just for the one year) rather than renew their Disneyland annual pass. It all depends on what Universal decides to charge for their passes next year.
                                Disneyland Cast Member
                                Outdoor Vending
                                1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:

http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

Comment

Originally posted by Big D View Post
                                  . I wish I could have spent more than one day there, and when this one opens I fully intend on getting an AP as long as they don't make them like $500 or anything like that. So where I think Disney will see it's biggest drop off is people who decide to get a UNI annual pass (even if it's just for the one year) rather than renew their Disneyland annual pass.
                                  Sorry, Big D but that's not going to happen. Probably not next year, at least as USH no longer offers an "Annual Pass". You can do "buy a day, get 2015 for free", or you can get a "season pass" which as of May 7th is only good until February 11th 2016(right before "Potter" is supposed to open), and doesn't include parking. The people hoping that people would "dump their Disneyland APs, and get them for USH instead when Potter opens, thus reducing the crowds at Disneyland" may be in for a disappointment. Although, we'll see how long that lasts. I think this will make USH the only major theme park in the world to not offer an AP.

Comment

Maybe USH sets the trend, no AP and others may follow if it works.

Comment

I agree with Big D that it may cause a change in the length of a visit. I doubt it's possible to see the data, but it would be interesting to see how sales of multiday tickets compare between the year before WWoHP opens and the year it opens, and how many of those people also went to Universal and for how long. I don't know if it will greatly impact numbers, I could see it increasing Disney numbers somewhat if lots of guests decided to go to California to see WWoHP who otherwise wouldn't have gone to California, and tacks Disneyland on as well because hey, might as well go to both. I'm not sure how many guests this would be. In my mind, this would increase shorter length multi day tickets as well as single day tickets. Either way, both parks see increases.

My other thought is that those who were going to go to Disneyland as their primary park may decrease their passes by a day or two to see each park. Overall though, Disneyland has such high attendance numbers a possible decrease due to WWoHP would likely be offset by the continual increase in Disneyland attendance that has been occuring for years. My bet is attendance numbers overall will,not be significantly impacted, but the ticket type purchased may show different trends than before the Wizarding World opens.

Like others have mentioned, UO had huge number increases when the WWoHP opened, and WDW didn't have large increases. WDW was the main draw for Florida, and UO was often an add-on, not the primary reason for the vacation (my conjecture at least). WWoHP increased the attendance so dramatically because it's draw overall was less, it's capacity was less. Increases are going to be more dramatic when a huge expansion happens to a park that significantly increases it's appeal/size. Harry Potter is a huge franchise and greatly helped Universal Studios attract more guests, and often guest whose primary reason is to see the WW - a new market segment that now is visiting theme park/s who otherwise wouldn't. It was a mutually beneficial expansion. However, Disney is essentially a huge franchise comprised of other franchises and already had a huge appeal, so the increase caused by this new market segment coming to Florida didn't seem dramatic.

What is an interesting thought: how much would WDW numbers increased if WWoHP was at their park instead of UO? I think that's pretty interesting to think about. Similar thought is how a proper Star Wars land (or Marvel, if that's your thing) was built in Anaheim - proper being to the scale of Cars Land or bigger (third gate).

Tl;dr won't impact numbers of attendance overall significantly, high likelihood of changing type of tickets purchased (shorter multi day passes).

Comment

Originally posted by jcruise86 View Post

WDW actually has seen growth since WWoHP came out, but nowhere near the percentage that USO has seen.

HOWEVER

You need to put that growth in perspective. USO is posting double-digit growth percentages, but it's also starting from a much lower base than WDW is. Both the Magic Kingdom and USO proper (not IoA) saw growth of a million new visitors between 2012 and 2013, but because MK is starting at 17.5 million guests while USO is starting at 7 million, USO has a way higher percentage of growth.

Comment

Working...
                                        X