• Is Universal Studios Worth the Visit?

I'll be visiting WDW September 2-8. The plan was to visit:

3rd: Epcot
    4th: MK
    5th: DAK and MK
    6th: DHS
    7th: ?
    8th: MK before the flight home

I'm wondering if it would be worth it to go to Universal Studios Florida on the 7th to do Harry Potter World and all that good stuff. Or should we just stick with WDW that day and explore more there?
    "Where would the fun be if we already knew what there is to know?" - Dr. Walter Bishop, Fringe

Re: Is Universal Studios Worth the Visit?

it is easily worthwhile.

Comment

IMHO, Universal is definitely worth it. Their parks are well done and I love the rides.

That being said, keep a few things in mind. September 7 is Labor Day, so the crowds are probably going to be high (not that WDW won't be crowded either). Also, depending on budget, an extra day of admission at Disney won't add much cost, while Universal is going to cost much more, especially if you are getting a two park ticket and possibly Express Pass to make sure you get on most attractions.

But as long as you're OK with the crowds and it fits in your budget, I'd definitely recommend it.

Comment

I recommend going to Universal, but I don't recommend trying to do both parks in one day, unless that's reeaaally your only option.

Comment

Universal is definitely worth visiting, the question is, is it worth doing this trip. As someone else pointed out, the seventh is Labor Day. You really need two days to do the Uni parks justice even under good conditions. Even with Express Pass you won't have time to do everything, but you can definitely do the highlights. Note that if your focus is Harry Potter, then the major rides there do not use Express pass.

Comment

Hi,

We just recently came back from our trip to Orlando and while I must admit that Disney was our favourite we think Islands of Adventure is great also. If you only have one day choose this park because we thought the Universal Studios park was horrible compared to Islands. Harry Potter is also better in Islands of Adventure. that is my humble opinion.

Comment

Leaving the debate on which park is better, or what is the best since it really differs with each person...

If you genuinely want to try to enjoy both parks and try to enjoy all it has to offer, or most of what it has to offer, then you will definitely need more than a day, because it is worth it. There is a lot to do in both parks, especially if you're including the Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

You'll definitely need to to hit the Harry Potter rides first, if that is one of the things you want to do, since as others stated, the major rides do not accept express pass.

Can you rearrange things to make more time for Universal, or can you do it during another trip?

Comment

Can you handle HUGE crowds?

Can you splurge for front of the line passes, even though they won't get you to the front of WW of Harry Potter lines?

Have a nice time, whatever you do!

Comment

If you are mainly going to Universal for Harry Potter, then it is definitely worth a visit ( I think it is some of the best and surprisingly intensive theming). Unfortunately, I find the rest of the park's theming and attractions somewhat lacking...

However, it's even more pricey considering you have to get to get a park-to-park ticket to ride Hogwarts Express (which to me is actually the star of all the HP rides). It's not simply Themed transportation from one park to another (it's like you are on your own journey to Hogwarts).

At least if you do a park to park ticket, you'll have a greater range of attractions to explore.

Comment

Originally posted by crawfordguard View Post
                    I'll be visiting WDW September 2-8. The plan was to visit:

3rd: Epcot
                    4th: MK
                    5th: DAK and MK
                    6th: DHS
                    7th: ?
                    8th: MK before the flight home

I'm wondering if it would be worth it to go to Universal Studios Florida on the 7th to do Harry Potter World and all that good stuff. Or should we just stick with WDW that day and explore more there?
                    Worth it...

I would also suggest you might want to revise your schedule a bit... Sept 4 and 5 are fri and saturday so they are the days you will have the most time available in MK... DAK isn't an all day park for most and you're right to schedule it that way... but I would suggest you might want to schedule it on the 3rd with DHW which for many is also not an all day park.... I wouldn't put DAK on a prime day at all because if you plan on MK on a Saturday it is best to be able to get there sooner than later because of the crowds.

Also not sure if you have your hotels lined out but if you are going to do Universal it pays to stay in their hotel one night so you get the special treatment in the parks as a free perk.

Comment

Labor Day is the least crowded holiday according to Touring Plans | Disney World | Disneyland | Universal Orlando | Disney Cruise Line - Vacation Planning Tools since few people go on vacation right after the school year starts. The least crowded I've ever seen at the MK was Labor Day, although that was long ago. As to Universal, we just got back from 2 weeks in Orlando including 4 days at USO. Next time I want to spend a full week at USO.

A bientot
                      Remember
                      What the dormouse said
                      Feed your head!

sigpic

You've read it; you can't unread it!

Comment

Harry Potter alone is absolutely worth your while, even if you're not a huge fan, but particularly so if you are. Definitely check it out, you'll be glad you did. Last I was there was in 2011 for my school's Grad Bash, and as a huge Harry Potter geek I was on cloud nine. I can't imagine how great it must be now with the new additions. Go, go, go!

Comment

I agree. I'd go too.

My friend and I did an Orlando trip last summer and had a blast. We did both parks in one day, which for some wouldn't be enough. We were there largely to see the Harry Potter lands though so it was well worth it.

And despite the fact we were there only a week after the Gringotts ride opened, we were still able to do both of the major Harry Potter rides (though we had to opt for the fast pass entry into the Gringotts area and then had to go single rider…which made it a 2 hour line rather than a 4 hour line). We rode the train that connected the two areas which was cool too.

We were able to fit in almost all of the rides and simulators that they don't have here at USHollywood (which we had done before). And we did skip the Hulk ride, and the dual roller coaster themed to Harry Potter. Neither of us wanted to do them anyway.

Personally I felt the Harry Potter themed lands made it worth the visit alone. And we still managed to do quite a bit of other things before the parks closed.

Comment

Originally posted by Jesser-pie View Post
                            If you are mainly going to Universal for Harry Potter, then it is definitely worth a visit ( I think it is some of the best and surprisingly intensive theming). Unfortunately, I find the rest of the park's theming and attractions somewhat lacking...

However, it's even more pricey considering you have to get to get a park-to-park ticket to ride Hogwarts Express (which to me is actually the star of all the HP rides). It's not simply Themed transportation from one park to another (it's like you are on your own journey to Hogwarts).

At least if you do a park to park ticket, you'll have a greater range of attractions to explore.
                            I was there two, three and four days ago for my first time and was blown away by the Wizarding Worlds of Harry Potter! Best themed theme park lands ever--and they fit together! And I'm a true Disney fanatic.

For anyone going in the summer, I suggest entering the areas for your first time during one of the daily afternoon or evening thunder storms. With the train you can see both during the same shower. This improved the experience for me!

Comment

I personally like Universal Studios Resort to Disney though they both are amazing. So I would say yes, as there is way more to do than Harry Potter & both parks are full-day parks. Just focus on what you truly want to see.

Comment

crawfordguard, Universal is worth the visit. I say go for it. Period. IOA when I first went has got to be one of the best theme parks EVER, and Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey is absolutely amazing. If there is a long line...wait in it.

The original park (Universal Studios Florida, that is) is worth a trip also, especially since they opened that new Springfield area of the park and the Gringotts Coaster.

AUTOPIA: Fan Since 1991

Comment

Originally posted by Rocker View Post
                                  crawfordguard, Universal is worth the visit. I say go for it. Period. IOA when I first went has got to be one of the best theme parks EVER, and Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey is absolutely amazing. If there is a long line...wait in it.

The original park (Universal Studios Florida, that is) is worth a trip also, especially since they opened that new Springfield area of the park and the Gringotts Coaster.
                                  We once (last week Thursday) had a 15 minute wait for Gringott's in the evening. The second time we rode it in the morning two days later it broke down while we were waiting in line, then it stopped TWICE while we were on it. When we got off we were handed an Express Pass good on other attractions, but we already had an Express Pass, so I would have preferred a coupon for a free Butterbeer, or $3 off a butter beer. The two British women we gave our one-time passes to (while waiting to board the Hogwarts Express) were happy.

I'm glad I waited a while after Diagon Alley opened to visit Universal, so the crowds were smaller. Also, I chose that week in August because I;'d read that the crowds decline a little then. That seemed to be true.

BTW, here's my review of HPP refreshments:
                                  Butterbeer and hot butterbeer: my two new favorite liquids. They surpassed my expectations--the hot one one was my #1. My daughter preferred the orig. cold one.

Frozen butter beer: pretty good, but too sweet for me and I have a sweet tooth.

Pumpkin juice: interesting and not bad, but not that good and we didn't finish the one we split.

Butterbeer ice cream: very good, but the serving size was large enough that I recommend you split it with two people.

Comment

Working...
                                  X