Halloween Horror Nights - 2015; Official Speculation/News

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by niklj View Post

The tram doesn't go through any of the typical tram stops like King Kong or the flash flood, it goes to the scare zone only. Also to make the most of your time, I would definitely either get an early dinner before you line up at the event (we ate dinner at about 3:30 which lasted us) or pick up something to go to eat while you're in line. The lines get super long and you will most likely use up all 7 hours of the event if you want to hit every maze.
    Won't it be the regular tram tour at 5 since they don't officially close until 6. We have FOTL, so maze lines aren't really an issue.
    Remember
    What the dormouse said
    Feed your head!

sigpic

You've read it; you can't unread it!

Comment

Originally posted by ralfrick View Post

Won't it be the regular tram tour at 5 since they don't officially close until 6. We have FOTL, so maze lines aren't really an issue.
      I'll do some digging to see what I can find out about this. The Studio Tour may close pretty early on days when Halloween Horror Nights is happening. The tour itself takes about 45 minutes, and they probably want to give enough time for the regular park guests to filter out.

Comment

One question I had... in year's past, if you went to see the first showing of Bill & Ted, they would give you a one time front of the line pass for a single maze on the lower/back lot. Are they doing similar for the Jabawokeez first show of the night?
        Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

Comment

Originally posted by JesterMn View Post
          . . . This year, they are giving you a wristband when you enter (again, on the far right), and you can head into the park at your leisure, mixing in with the regular park guests that are still leaving. You are free to do whatever you want (such as Transformers, Mummy, etc.) until the early entry mazes, which only include Walking Dead and Insidious open at 6:30. Note only those two mazes are open early. The rest open at 7pm.

Based on what I experienced last night, it's best to just head down there and get in a line for the early entry maze as soon as possible. Even though Walking Dead didn't open until 6:30, when we got there at 6pm, the line was already 30 minutes long. By the time the maze actually opened at 6:30, it was clocked at over 110 minutes. I believe Insidious was already a 45 minute wait at 6:30 . . .
          Based on your post, JesterMn, we'll be getting into the park close to 5pm. Thanks for the info. If anyone had a different experience, please share before we go on Sunday.

I hope that this first Sunday HHN will have smaller crowds. Thoughts on that, anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by jcruise86 View Post
            Based on your post, JesterMn, we'll be getting into the park close to 5pm. Thanks for the info. If anyone had a different experience, please share before we go on Sunday.

I hope that this first Sunday HHN will have smaller crowds. Thoughts on that, anyone?
            I'll be there Sunday, as well! Hoping it isn't as crazy as last weekend. I've never been on a Sunday before so we shall see.

Comment

I went Sunday nights a lot for the past few years... they're not as slow as you'd hope.
              Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

Comment

Originally posted by JesterMn View Post
                I went Sunday nights a lot for the past few years... they're not as slow as you'd hope.
                Rats!

Comment

Originally posted by explodingboy View Post

I'll be there Sunday, as well! Hoping it isn't as crazy as last weekend. I've never been on a Sunday before so we shall see.
                  Please say, "Hey, JCruise!" (or "Tom") if you see a 5'8" 51-year-old wearing a black "Wiz. World of HP: Diagon Alley" T-shirt. I'll be accompanied by my friend who is bald and 6'3".

Our new plan is to arrive at Universal at about 4pm and eat at City Walk, possibly at Karl Strauss, because I like their beer and food.

Comment

Originally posted by jcruise86 View Post

I'll say we got there around 4:25 and was nearish to the front of the line, but the line started getting long pretty fast. Have fun, I thought it was a pretty good one. They did try to make the long maze lines more entertaining with the Scare Patrol doing horror movie trivia intermittently (prize was being able to skip to the head of the line). Not sure if they've done this before since I missed last year but I thought it was a pretty neat idea. And don't forget to get the Twitter password for your free souvenir!

Comment

They seem to be tweaking the way that Early Entry works now. According to the Horror Nights Twitter account, everything including the Terror Tram is generally opening between 6:30 and 6:45. Some nights the Jabbawockeez will have a show at 6:15 as well. There are announcements at the front gate that will let you know exactly what is available for Early Entry each night.

Comment

Walking Dead opened shortly after 6, yesterday! Though I think the maze might have been better after dark. Some rooms had sunlight, and then other rooms were very dark, and your eyes don't have time to adjust. I felt like I was missing things because of this. But we did avoid a monster line.

To my surprise, the Terror Tram line was very long. I think it was 100 minutes at one point. (Quite a contrast to my experience last year.) They stopped letting people in line around 11. Oh, and Fast and Furious broke down, and we were stuck in the building for a little while. They gave us front-of-line passes when we got back, at about 1 AM, but they were only good for the regular attractions, not the mazes, so they were pretty much useless at that point.

We ended up doing every maze except AVP, plus we did the Terror Tram, Jabbawockeez, and Mummy. Lots and lots of waiting in lines, more than I expected based on last year's experience.

Comment

I went last night and crowds weren't bad.

Arrived at 4 and had to park on roof of Jurassic Parking Garage. Had dinner at Saddle Ranch Chop House and was in the park by 5:45. We headed down to the lower lot and did Transformers with a 10 minute wait. Then we headed to Walking Dead sporting a 35 minute wait.

Walking Dead: I liked some individual moments, like the bathtub scene in Terminus, the outside of the church, and the revolving door set. But, each location seemed so brief. I would have rather had the entire maze been set in Terminus, or the solar warehouse. It just feels too scattered. The press release mentioned spending a lot of time at Terminus without walkers and that sadly didn't happen, nor did I see the truck scene with the "W" Walkers that was mentioned in press releases as well. Overall, a few well done scenes and a lot of empty space.

We then headed over to the Tram that take you to the backlot mazes. No line.

Purge Scare Zone: This was fantastic. Using the backlot facades, this is what Terror Tram should always be like but unfortunately can't. With this scarezone you pass through before getting to the mazes, it felt massive without losing intimacy, and the Big Daddy effect worked well for me. This little scare zone really pumped me up.

We then had a choice between Crimson Peak and Alien Vs Predator. Crimson was sitting at a 10 minute wait and AVP was at 15. We hit AVP first.

Alien Vs Predator: I didn't attend the event last year so I can't compare. The opening set piece was nice as was the set design throughout. My only issue, and I had this issue with most of Universal's mazes this year, there were very few scenes of anything happening. You pass by decent sets and props, but rarely do you see an actor. Instead, they pop out and put their hand in front of your face, then go back. The pop outs are fairly obvious in AVP as most are awkward hallways between scenes with an Alien puppet on one side and a Predator on the other. I also got whacked in the head by a Predator, probably due to poor vision in his costume. I did like the facehugger attacks against the windows.

Crimson Peak: We ended up only waiting 15 minutes after AVP. The maze is beautiful and feels like on of the only "large" mazes at the park. I haven't been to HHN since La llorona and I was impressed by the scale of those sets and facade. It felt immersive. Most of the HHN mazes this year felt small. Small rooms to wind through like you would at most haunts. This maze had some large sets and some really nice design. The issue I had is: I don't know this movie. It hasn't come out yet. So it is just random costumes jumping out without any kind of context to why they should be creepy or scary. Also, apparently there is a character who is very similar to the woman in black from Insidious, and she is featured heavily in Crimson Peak. I kept wondering why Insidious was inside the Crimson Peak maze.

Insidious: As it was sporting a 40 minute wait and I had already seen it at 60 minutes when the park opened, we decided to jump in line. Unfortunately, 20 of those minutes were spent being tortured by the "Scare Patrol." First of all, they aren't scary. They are annoying. Imagine food service cast members dancing with plastic light up toys awkwardly non stop. I know what gets me into a creepy mood. Footage of horror films? No, pop music being blasted and danced to by employees. Way to build up the suspense Universal. The facade was nice, but a bit small and simple. This was probably our favorite maze of the night, but it still had some of the issues I've mentioned earlier with room sizes and being jump-scare happy. As I felt with Walking Dead, I think trying to do all 3 movies in one maze was a poor choice. I want to be immersed in a world, not jumping from one to another. I did like the body room from Insidious 2 and there were a few camouflaged spirits that had good scares. The further was terrible, with it being a small black hallway that was so small and lit that you could clearly see they were black walls rather than seeming like an open limitless void.

Jurassic Park: We needed to get off our feet and cool down as most of the mazes felt like saunas with the tents trapping in the day's heat and the mugginess of so many sweating bodies. The ride is fun at night with minimal lighting. The large Brachiosaur was fenced off for repairs and some of the raptors on the lift looked not so hot and the other raptors are comically stationary as usual. It was a fun quick ride that cooled us off for a bit. For a 10 minute wait, it was definitely worth it. I was a little disappointed that they weren't showing the pictures though. You had to go up to the counter inside the store to see them, and as there was a crowd around, my group and I didn't want to waste the time and effort to get to the front to see ours.

This is the End: I was wary of this as I heard it is one of the worst mazes in HHN history. And let me say, the maze definitely lives up to it's reputation. The 3D isn't anything fancy, mostly just some paintings on James Franco's walls. The set is terribly redundant with hallways, flat screen showing footage from the movie, lazy demon pop out, hallway, flat screen showing more movie footage, and a few demon dog push-forward scares that use the same scare and same props about 3 times. Ever wanted to see actors lip sync to the Jonah Hill exorcist scene? Yeah, me neither. How about a peek in of a dummies' legs in a bathtub? No scare or effect, just a bathtub with some bad fake legs and Danny McBride voice over? The Heaven/Hell room was very well done though, I wish more of the maze had been the outside world and rooms like the ending.

Terror Tram: It was around 10:20 now and we got in line for the Terror Tram which was advertising a 20 minute line. It might have been a little longer, but not too much. The Terror Tram is the same as it always is. You get dropped off, walk past Whoville, around the Bates Motel, up that long hill with no theming or actors, pass through a thrown together structure, go through the crash site, then another structure, and you wait in line to get back to the park. I've never been a fan of the Terror Tram as it always feels too spread out. They don't keep the suspense going through the experience. Also, I saw a few incidents regarding guests and security as guests were getting too into the concept. It's a dangerous theme to keep telling guests that there are no rules, that you can do whatever you want, and to release the beast. A few patrons took this to heart and started rough housing with each other and things got awkward as cast member ran to security then security was trying to pursue them through the crowds. Also, as others have mentioned, they repeat the Big Daddy gag, but in a very scaled down and cheap way that can't compare to exact same gag they are doing 5 minutes away on the backlot.

Simpsons Ride: We thought the line said 5 minutes, so we jumped in line to take a load off for a few minutes on a ride. Well, apparently the line said 25 minutes. After waiting for 10, we left as the line wasn't moving as we were still stuck at the entrance under Krusty. I think the ride went down as I saw a few employees scrambling about and heard walkie-talkie chatter come over the intercom for a second.

Halloween: We hopped into line around 11:10 and the line was supposedly 40 minutes (much better than the 70 we saw earlier and when leaving). The line has some really dumb issues though. The gates which form the switchbacks have feet which stick out a good foot on either side. And they have made these switchbacks only about 2 1/2 feet wide in some portions, so we saw plenty of people tripping on the footings. It's late at night, it is dark, and people are tired; Universal should really fix this before someone takes a hard spill. The maze itself was right up there with Insidious. The facade was a little small, but the projection in the window was fun. As before, this maze I think tried to do too much. The sheets on the clothesline section could have been amazing and disorienting. Instead, it is a few sheets hung up on one side of you and there's only one place he can come from. I did like the mirror room at the end.

Corpz/Dark Christmas/Exterminators: These things are sad. Dark Christmas is laughably tiny. It'd be like a scarezone for the walkway between Adventureland and Frontierland. That 20 feet between the Adventureland bathroom and the Frontierland ATM. It's sad, because the lighting and props are interesting, but it is just too small to really feel frightened. I wish they'd combine Corpz/ Dark Christmas and have that entire loop be one giant scarezone. Exterminataorz was a little better in terms of scale, but they still had more street to play with. Especially with construction walls bordering near Exterminatorz and Dark Christmas. Theme the walls and bring out some props, the walkways are already darkened to avoid seeing construction.

We walked around these a few times, went on Despicable Me (25 minute wait) and then grabbed a Lard Lad for the road. We were back to our car by 1:15 having done everything except The Mummy and Simpsons. We had a good time, but I am looking forward to Knotts and the Queen Mary as they have more inventive scares and more environmental characters rather than just jump scares. Not my favorite HHN year to be sure, but the crowds weren't bad due to the elimination of VIPs and we were able to see everything without pushing ourselves and could have repeated a few things if we had wanted to.
                          Women, they make the highs higher and the lows more frequent.

Comment

Originally posted by Professortango View Post
                            Corpz/Dark Christmas/Exterminators: These things are sad. Dark Christmas is laughably tiny. It'd be like a scarezone for the walkway between Adventureland and Frontierland. That 20 feet between the Adventureland bathroom and the Frontierland ATM. It's sad, because the lighting and props are interesting, but it is just too small to really feel frightened. I wish they'd combine Corpz/ Dark Christmas and have that entire loop be one giant scarezone. Exterminataorz was a little better in terms of scale, but they still had more street to play with. Especially with construction walls bordering near Exterminatorz and Dark Christmas. Theme the walls and bring out some props, the walkways are already darkened to avoid seeing construction.
                            The Upper Lot scare zones have had this problem for a while. I keep hoping they'll go with a single, unified thematically consistent scare zone matching a maze in the heart of it. Trying to keep the London, Paris and Entry zones as separate, thematically distinct 'zones' is problematic in the extreme. One should not be able to stand outside one end of the "zone" and be able to clearly see all the way through to the other side down the longest axis of the area.
                            Account abandoned due to trolls

Comment

Originally posted by Professortango View Post
                              I went last night and crowds weren't bad.
                              Arrived at 4 and had to park on roof of Jurassic Parking Garage. Had dinner at Saddle Ranch Chop House. . .

Alien Vs Predator: . . . rarely do you see an actor. Instead, they pop out and put their hand in front of your face, then go back. The pop outs are fairly obvious in AVP as most are awkward hallways between scenes with an Alien puppet on one side and a Predator on the other. I also got whacked in the head by a Predator, probably due to poor vision in his costume. I did like the facehugger attacks against the windows.
                              . . .
                              Insidious: As it was sporting a 40 minute wait and I had already seen it at 60 minutes when the park opened, we decided to jump in line. Unfortunately, 20 of those minutes were spent being tortured by the "Scare Patrol." First of all, they aren't scary. They are annoying. Imagine food service cast members dancing with plastic light up toys awkwardly. . .
                              . . .
                              This is the End: I was wary of this as I heard it is one of the worst mazes in HHN history. . .
                              . . .
                              Halloween: We hopped into line around 11:10 and the line was supposedly 40 minutes (much better than the 70 we saw earlier and when leaving). The line has some really dumb issues though. The gates which form the switchbacks have feet which stick out a good foot on either side. And they have made these switchbacks only about 2 1/2 feet wide in some portions, so we saw plenty of people tripping on the footings. It's late at night, it is dark, and people are tired; Universal should really fix this before someone takes a hard spill. . . . I did like the mirror room at the end.
                              . . .
                              I am looking forward to Knotts and the Queen Mary as they have more inventive scares and more environmental characters rather than just jump scares. Not my favorite HHN year to be sure, but the crowds weren't bad due to the elimination of VIPs and we were able to see everything without pushing ourselves and could have repeated a few things if we had wanted to.
                              Thanks for the review, Prof. Tango. We were there the same Sunday night and most of my comments in this post were on another thread. You were right on about the "Scare Patrol" that "tried"--not really!--to amuse people in line.

First had a great meal at Karl Strauss before in Universal City Walk. Pork chops! Reasonably priced! Loved the beer sampler and our waitress, Christine!

We skipped 'This is the End" because of the reviews, and your review confirmed we made the right decision.

Liked quickly getting into the park at 5pm and going on attractions. I'm still really impressed with the Transformers ride, and I like Despicable Me more than the similar Simpson's ride.

I really miss the "House of Horrors" and wish they'd (PLEASE!) do a maze with classic Universal's monsters (Frank's monster, Dracula, and Wolfman--not the boring old Mummy, please) at Halloween with some larger rooms, like a cemetery, a lab, etc.

Universal needs to not have almost every (year-round) attraction based on film, even if they are a film studio! It's getting old. I was at Universal Orlando this summer and Spiderman, the two HP e-tickets, and Transformers are all great, but they are also all too much alike. I guess I should be satisfied with great.

I was disappointed in the new Fast in the Furious part of the tram tour with the cheesy sexist dancing women in tiny shorts segment in the beginning (just having the awesome Michelle R. doesn't make it all cool) and the stereotypical African-American main character who just had to get the number of a woman in the tram, even though doing so gave away our location to the villain, which was the one thing he was supposed to warn us not to do. And the animated Vin D. looked less realistic than Toby McGuire's Spiderman climbing a wall in his first Spiderman or the crew members when we panned over the ship in Titanic.

Three nice workers in the Harry Potter store went "Owwwww!" when I entered in my Diagon Alley shirt from U. Orlando. Good CMs!

I liked the short evil Christmas scare zone. I went through it four times (back 'n' forth twice). Next year and for the next 100 years I hope they make all of the Harry Potter land a scare zone with the Hogwarts Choir, which I prefer to the Dapper Dans--dementors, Snape & Belatrix (SP?) as face characters.

The five mazes I went on and the Purge were all fine, but nothing blew me away. What was that smell in two rooms (in different mazes) with mangled bodies!? Nasty and appropriate! Poor CMs who have to work near it! I noticed that Universal's fog machines smelled better than the ones at Knott's Scary Farm. All scare zones and mazes should be scented.

The Purge woman who greeted guests at the bottom of the elevator was excellent, but he Scare Crew (or Scare Patrol?) who "entertained" people in one line were the worst entertainers in the history of theme parks. One mostly just texted on her cell phone looking bored.

When we left at the end of the night and passed the Chop House, they were showing rap music videos and playing rap music loudly in this western restaurant. I didn't eat there, but I wondered if (Yani?) they Knott's leader who pumped pop music into Ghost Town was moonlighting.
                              Last edited by jcruise86; 09-29-2015, 01:25 PM.

Comment

I was also at the Horror Nights Sunday. I'll do a quick recap of what I thought.

We showed up to Universal around 3:30, and went ahead and got some food at CityWalk. After we ate, we went over to the gate and made our way inside. My girlfriend wanted to see the Opening Scaremoney over doing Early Entry, since we had Front of Line passes. We were ushered in and given wristbands (for Early Entry) anyway and started to try and figure out where we were supposed to be for the intro. We were told to wait by a "black gate" so we would be in front, since we had the passes. Once inside, there was no black gate to be found and we received 3 different answers from people as to where we were supposed to be. It was a little chaotic, but I know that they are testing a different method and maybe not all of the employees know exactly what was going on. It all worked out, and we were right in front for the Scaremoney.

Halloween:

We decided to hit this one first, since we were already right next to it. The one good thing about having the Front of Line pass is you don't need to plan anything. Now, I didn't get a chance to see the 2009 version of Halloween, but I will say - this maze was awesome. Completely terrifying, and a totally great effort put in by the talent (who by the way looked great!). I loved the strangling scene and the finale. I almost wished that we wouldn't have used the passes for this one, so I could have experienced it again a little later in the evening. This was my favorite maze of the event, hands down.

The Purge: Urban Nightmare:

After Halloween, we decided to go down to the Metro Sets and check out Crimson Peak and Alien VS Predator. Having the express trams back is nice. I totally dig the use of the Metro Sets for a scare zone. I think it works perfectly for the Purge and the Walking Dead. It was nice to see it changed up a bit from the previous years, too. Overall I thought this was the strongest scare zone of the night. The scare actors were really giving it their all.

Alien VS Predator:

AVP was sitting at 15 minutes when we showed up, and Crimson Peak was at around 10. We decided on AVP first. I think that this maze is fantastic. I'm a sucker for set design, and this maze was among my favorites last year. Honestly, I think it still holds up. I noticed a few tweaks here and there, which I appreciate for a returning maze. The energy was high throughout..and that Queen! Man is she cool. I still think my favorite scene is the Alien in the bedroom though. That half eaten skeleton is so gnarly!

Crimson Peak: Maze of Madness:

Rounding out the Metro Set mazes, we ventured into Crimson Peak. I think that we both had high expectations for this one because everyone for the most part has had great things to say. Needless to say we weren't disappointed! Totally immersive, and made use of some great effects. I loved that you could see the snow falling outside in a few of the rooms. Very cool. I got some pretty good scares in here as well. Some of the "creatures" (I'm not sure what else to call them yet) are pretty wicked. Also, the finale room is awesome but I won't spoil it. This one sits at a close number two behind Halloween for me. A truly beautiful maze.

Also, pay close attention to the wallpaper in the first scene. It's the same as the Haunted Mansion lobby!

Insidious: Return to the Further:

Back at the Lower Lot, it was time for Insidious which was already reaching around 60 minutes or so. We got in rather quickly, again with expectations pretty high. The Insidious maze from 2013 was fantastic, and going in we had only heard praise about this year's. There were some things I liked about this version. I thought the "He's got your baby" guy was awkwardly terrifying, the Man Who Can't Breathe looked great, and the Further room with the half dummy/half real person deal gets me every time. I was too busy trying to figure out what was real and what was fake to notice anything else about that room. All in all though, this one kind of fell flat for me in the scare department. I didn't notice any fog either, but I know that super dependent on weather and foot traffic etc. Maybe we just had a bad walkthrough. If I get the chance, I'd like to give this one another go.

This is the End 3D:

This is probably the one that everyone is interested in when reading a review of this year's event. When this was first announced I had super mixed feelings, but the closer we got to the event, the more excited I became. Unfortunately, I left a little disappointed. If you don't know, they play sound bites from the movie throughout the maze. At least 90% of these sound bites include some kind of "adult language" that is censored out, which I really wish they wouldn't have done. The harsh and abrasive "beep" takes you out of the element rather quickly. The areas that the demons pop out of are huge, which I understand due to the size of the costumes, but it did ruin the surprise factor. I also don't think that this one needed to be in 3D, and could have been effective without it. Overall I think this could have been a really fun maze, but it seems to have missed the target, IMO. I've noticed a lot of the reviews seem to be split down the middle. I'll be curious to see how this one evolves over the course of the event.

​The Walking Dead: Wolves Not Far:

This was the last one we hit of the Lower Lot mazes. The facade for this maze is huge! I think that overall, it's better than the last few Walking Dead mazes we've seen. There is a ton of scare actors, and it winds you through pretty much all the big environments from the last season. The revolving door scene is intense, and probably my favorite from this one. I also really liked the fact that you spent a considerable amount of time in Terminus before venturing back out in the woods. It was nice to see some variation in the talent other than just zombies. Good stuff!

Terror Tram: Survive the Purge:

The Terror Tram is always a neat experience. It's fun to able to walk up to the Bates Motel, or be in the middle of the War of the Worlds set. This year's theme change, like the Metro Set scare zone, was a nice one. I like the fact that they told a legitimate story as to why we are down there, too. The actors had a ton of energy! They were jumping out from all over the place. The auction scene specifically was really cool, and I liked that there was a ton to look at this year. It seems they brought out quite a few props and set pieces for this one. Very fun.

Jabbawockeez:

We caught the 10:15 showing of the Jabbawockeez and quickly realized that it was going to be a packed house. I roughly knew who they were, but had no idea that they had this kind of draw. The crowd was incredibly into it, standing up most of the time, dancing, and even gave them a standing ovation. Horror Nights desperately needed entertainment like this, and I think that Universal made the right call with bringing the Jabbawockeez in this year.

Exterminatorz:

I loved seeing an original idea used for a scare zone at the front of the park. John and the team also did a good job working with the limited space they have due to construction. I was worried that there might not be enough room this year for the fire towers, but they made it happen still. Some of these masks here (looking at you, maggot mouth) are pretty vile. Very effective!

Dark Christmas:

I still love this idea. I hope we can see a Krampus maze at the event one day!

Corpz:

There was a surprising amount of talent for a scare zone that is as small as Corpz. The costumes looked great here. It's easy to be critical about why these types of scare zones can be lackluster, but I consistently have a good time through all of them regardless. I appreciate the creative team making use of the what resources they're given space wise.

Comment

Working...
                                X