USH and Capacity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USH and Capacity

So seems a couple days ago, USH closed its gate due to hitting capacity. Granted F&F has debuted, but it just seems crazy that some random Thursday the park was forced to close. This has got to be raising red flags with USH's management. I'm beginning to think maybe they should have expanded the park a bit more before opening up Potter. Do you think USH expanded the park enough to handle the crowds that will descend on Hollywood when Potter opens or is this going to be a sign of more park closures to come and unbearable crowds?

Re: USH and Capacity

Apparently Thursday was the last day before summer AP blackouts so there was that, too. I heard it wasn't as busy on Friday.

Comment

While it's always difficult to say for sure, I do think that once all the new construction is finished, I think it'll be better. There's going to be a huge new parking structure, better roadways into the park, and a pedestrian bridge (which is being done by the city, and is on their own timetable). They're also working on a new food/shopping building inside the park. Most of this has been started months ago. What else, exactly, do you think they should have done given the space they have?

That said, until that is all finished, crowds are unpredictable, so you never know. But I think for the most part, they did all they could.
      Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

Comment

Back in 1994, when working at USH, we hit over 35000 in attendance on Power Rangers day. I still have the sweatshirt they gave all the employees.
        "And yes, we implore EVERYBODY to follow the park rules. Having off-ride footage is great, but any still photo's or video's taken ON the coasters at SFMM are strictly against the rules. They are there for your (and everybody's) safety." "Six Flags doesn't allow ANY loose articles on their coasters, and they don't allow video taping on their coasters. " BUT, "​ This is not true. Six Flags does not allow ANY On-Ride video or pictures on the rides. The ONLY way is if you get explicit permission from Park Management." ???

Comment

I think it will be nuts when WWoHP opens. I am not sure when I will even attempt to go see it. Because if I go there and that area is closed due to capacity I am left with a very small park and minimal options which will just kind of irritate me lol. To me the rest of their offerings are just ok and the park is small. The only attractions I can go on multiple times really are Transformers, JP and the tram tour. The lines for everything will be off the hook though when HP opens.
          These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
          My company had a special night at the park
          WdW trip report with WWoHP
          NYE 2011 trip report
          Mice Chat 7th anniversary
          Leap year 24 hour report
          New DCA trip report
          NYE 2012
          HKDL trip report

Comment

USH is limited with what it can do but surely they could have done something to increase park's ride capacity besides creating an add on to the Studio Tour which increased their ride capacity by essentially zero.

Comment

We all know that space is a premium at the park, otherwise I doubt they would have placed Hogsmeade front and center, right up against the Simpsons/Springfield, Shrek and Waterworld. It'll be interesting to see how this park flows once Potter opens.

I also believe they should have done more attraction adds vs replacing older attractions. Sure it's impressive what we have seen built in the last 5 years, but i don't think it'll help much to absorb crowds when the only real add was the SSFL spinner and maybe the night tour. To me, with the closing of more studio lot for theme park operations, the attraction adds will come after Potter opens. I wonder why Universal saw fit to add Potter now instead of waiting to expand the park before bringing him in.

It definitely would have been a little more interesting and exciting to see something like a Hogsmeade/DiagonAlley combo go up against the rumored StarWars/Marvel combo down in Orange County.
              Last edited by SpoonCM; 06-28-2015, 09:22 PM. Reason: I fail at words

Comment

Originally posted by SpoonCM View Post
                To me, with the closing of more studio lot for theme park operations, the attraction adds will come after Potter opens. I wonder why Universal saw fit to add Potter now instead of waiting to expand the park before bringing him in.
                I completely agree. As excited as I've been for this park to open, USH is just not ready for it space-wise. The fact that the park hit capacity by noon just for the FAF addition to the Studio Tour is unbelievable to me, and only gives us a taste of what will happen with WWoHP opens next year. I don't even want to think about what the 101 will be like trying to get to USH...Even with the new parking structures being built, that still does nothing for the actual lack of space inside the park. That's what is so nice about Orlando. It's nicely spaced and there's tons of room to walk around. I was at USH the other day and it wasn't terribly busy, and it was so crammed just getting through Springfield to get to the escalators. I just don't think they're ready for the West Coast to all come down to our tiny park for the opening.

Comment

Originally posted by happyhaunter View Post
                  I completely agree. As excited as I've been for this park to open, USH is just not ready for it space-wise. The fact that the park hit capacity by noon just for the FAF addition to the Studio Tour is unbelievable to me, and only gives us a taste of what will happen with WWoHP opens next year. I don't even want to think about what the 101 will be like trying to get to USH...Even with the new parking structures being built, that still does nothing for the actual lack of space inside the park. That's what is so nice about Orlando. It's nicely spaced and there's tons of room to walk around. I was at USH the other day and it wasn't terribly busy, and it was so crammed just getting through Springfield to get to the escalators. I just don't think they're ready for the West Coast to all come down to our tiny park for the opening.
                  Wow. And the shops themselves in Hogsmeade are small with vary narrow aisles (true to the movies). I shudder to think what those are going to be like when they first open. I might have to wait awhile before I get to check it out. Maybe the crowds will die down a bit after labor day.
                  Disneyland Cast Member
                  Outdoor Vending
                  1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:

http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

Comment

The only thing they could do is have a new starway down to the old China restaurant was and add an attraction there but even that would be much more room

They some how need to buy more land or use some of the land in the tour as a new mini land (maybe nintendo) to get more capacity
                    Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

They should have expanded the park before...expanding the park?

You don't add new attractions that could be hit or miss when you can add Potter, which is known to be probably the most popular new attraction to hit a theme park in years, if not decades.

Worst case scenario, the park has to close due to capacity on occasion.

If Potter is the hit it's expected to be, that may provide the revenue for additional attractions. Doing it in reverse doesn't make sense from a business standpoint.
                      My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

Comment

I just think they could re-design most of the upper lot to be more attractive towards guests and attractions. I know there are issues with weight being on a parking garage, but the area that houses the Despicable Me attractions has always been barren and under utilized. Shrek could definitely go, and I would have much preferred a 2 level dark ride to replace House of Horrors. And put a show back into Castle Dracula or create an attraction. Special Effect Stages should get their own space as they used to before Transformers. If they could replace/add 4-5 new attractions to the upper lot, it would really help.

I also wonder about Springfield. I love The Simpsons and love being able to see the show physically realized, but the land/attraction doesn't seem like it has a long shelf life.
                        Women, they make the highs higher and the lows more frequent.

Comment

Some of you keep saying,"they need to expand the upper lot! They need to add more attractions to the upper lot!" But Potter is going to expand the upper lot! An area that used to be the Gibson Amphitheatre lawn is now going to be a part of the upper lot (Hogsmeade), and what was the Gibson itself is now going to be a major, high capacity attraction(Forbidden Journey).

Comment

Originally posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
                            They should have expanded the park before...expanding the park?

You don't add new attractions that could be hit or miss when you can add Potter, which is known to be probably the most popular new attraction to hit a theme park in years, if not decades.

Worst case scenario, the park has to close due to capacity on occasion.

If Potter is the hit it's expected to be, that may provide the revenue for additional attractions. Doing it in reverse doesn't make sense from a business standpoint.
                            Maybe for locals that not that bad but its going to piss off a lot of people on vacation from out of town
                            Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

They are expanding the park to expand the park. Its happening right now, as Potter finishes up more lower lot sound stages are closing. Its just interesting they chose this route.

Harry Potter will no doubt be a draw and drive record guest spending, but the tent pole attractions added in the past 5 years to support that increase in attendance have not done much to increase capacity since a majority of the additions replaced old attractions. USH is a bit like DHS in that theres an unbalanced mix of limited attractions with overinflated wait times. Tossing in Potter will make that even more obvious as everyone waits around for their reserve time to get into Hogsmeade.

Comment

It's going to be a little chaotic when Harry Potter opens up. Traffic, crowds, wait times on all rides, wait times to get into Hogsmeade.

Comment

Working...
                                X