Get Away Today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HHN 2015 my thoughts

Just got back from a weekend in LA where me and my wife went to Dark Harbor, HHN and Disneyland. HHN has been a ongoing tradition for me and my friends for a while now. This year there were only two of us as Universal decided not to offer VIP most of our friends cancelled their plans of going. We decided to go anyways and see how this year stacks up to previous years. We decided to skip the early entry because it sort of seems useless to get in the park while it is still light out and we have been watching the lines on the app for a couple weeks to see how they looked. Since they were already long before the official opening we decided to just go at our own pace for the evening and not deal with early entry. We opted to get the front of the line pass and I am glad we did. I don't remember ever seeing the lines as long as they were this year. I can only assume the lack of mazes and how spread out they are caused this. Anyways we got in around 7:15 which was nice there was no line to get in at all. Every line was over 60 minutes already though for the mazes.

As we entered we were already saddened by the loss of the house of horrors. It really felt like it made HHN a bit different right off the bat. Also it left a big void in the entrance of the event in my opinion. I also noticed there weren't many chainsaw scare actors in the front of the park. This kind of leads me into how I felt about the event overall. it sort of seems maybe they had a lower budget this year over all. I assume maybe it was due to all the money being pumped in to the expansion of the park.I just noticed that there weren't as many scare actors over all throughout the whole event.

Anyways we approach the flame tower as I call it and this year the scare zone was Extermnatorz if I even spelled that right. Let me say how underwhelming this entry was. We maybe spent 5 minutes here and honestly I missed the Purge people being here from the past two years. This year it seemed incredibly flat and boring with minimal decorations and scare actors. They had people walking around and spraying use with water. It just didn't really do anything for me.

Next up we decided to check out the other scare zones in the top lot since we were already up there.We walked through the Dark Christmas area and it was done up really nicely.We took a couple of pictures here and admired the way the street was decorated. After that we walked down the Corpz scare zone and what a difference between that one an Dark Christmas. Corpz was incredibly boring and basic and it felt like it was lacking scare actors. We walked through it and no one even approached us LOL. We decided to turn around and go through it and DC once more as we decided not to even return to this area once we went down to the lower lot. So these two scare zone seem so out of place and really you have no reason to even experience them if you do not want to. They need a maze over in this section again to help balance out the crowds and give people a reason to walk through the area. We skipped the Minion ride as we just don't enjoy it at all. The wait for it was 5 minutes.

After the scare zones we went through Halloween. We had FOL so no waiting at least. The house on the outside was a great entrance and dead on. They even added the murder scene into the window which was great. As you walk through the maze there are definitely some great scenes straight out of the movie. Some of my favorite scenes from the movie are before Michael even starts killing the main people. When he is just stalking Laurie. They had the hedge scene and the sheets scene which I enjoyed.The kitchen scene with Bob stuck to the wall was a good touch and looked great. My favorite scene in the maze was probably the Judith Myers tombstone scene with the bed. I did enjoy the ending where they had multiple Statues of Michael and the usual one of them being the real one. This was easily my favorite maze of the night due to the fact I love the movies so much and I felt they captured the first one a lot.

Next up was Jabbowakeez at 8:30. So I have seen these guys in Vegas and I enjoyed the show. Saw them here at HHN didn't care for it at all.It just didn't really enhance my experience at all. I would rather have a comedy show brought back. It doesn't have to be Bill and Ted but something else please for next year. There just wasn't any energy I could feel from them like I had the first time I saw them in Vegas.

After the show we decided to go on the terror tram since we were still in the top section of the park. Before we entered the tram we went through Springfield which felt too happy for us during a Halloween event. It felt like it didn't belong in HHN. Maybe they should decorate the area for Halloween or something I don't know but it was odd. We got on the tram and proceeded to the Purge area of the back lot. So right off the bat there were barely any scare actors to great us. In the past there would be a wall of chainsaw people just waiting for us which I always loved. Then as we got next to the whoville area we encountered people traffic. We were actually stuck in a line of people from the bates motel all the way to the psycho house. We decided to get our traditional photo with Norman Bates only to realize later the photographer didn't use a flash and it was awful. We were like really you had one job lady....... Our cell phone picture actually looked better than theirs. We continued on through the plane crash are and experienced the minimal amount of scare actors again and then finished the terror tram. I am not sure how other feel about the tram this year but I felt like it was very basic and boring and perhaps the worst one they have done in my years of going. It felt like there was a limited amount of budget used here. Even switching out the makeup from TWD to the Purge probably saved them a good amount of money. Then we drove next to the Fast and Furious building to go back to the park. I mean if you are going to drive right by it cant you at least go through it?? To me another budget cut. I know they tested it out a couple weekends ago I just wonder why they stopped doing it.

We finally decided to descend into the lower lot. When we reached the bottom we noticed there was no scare zone there and it felt empty. It also just felt like a normal night at universal studios instead of HHN. We headed over to This is the end 3D. We thought this one was ok and sort of fun. We enjoyed the Emma Watson and Craig Robinson look a likes, "Welcome to Heaven MotherBEEPahs" The demon was cool looking in the 3d paint as well. Overall the maze was a rehash of a bunch of the 3d mazes from years past. We tried to get the Franco party flyer from the scare patrol but they were out. Also a shout out to having Michael Cera stabbed on the light post outside the maze I though it looked cool!

We decided to hit the Mummy and Transformers before heading off to the back lot for Crimson Peak and AvP. We walked over to the tram and took it to the drop off area where there were some Purge scare actors. This area was again very underwhelming. I miss seeing all the walkers from TWD from last year. They looked so "real" and provided such a great entrance into that back area. The purge people are just so boring down here and belong at the entrance to the park IMO. Anyways we wandered over to AvP to check it out. Well what can I say I loved this one so much last year. The details in the maze are amazing and there are some good scares and effects to go with it. Also the ending scene is one of my favorites in any maze. So this year you ask? The exact same!!!!!!!! So I didn't hate this maze but seriously did they just leave it there all year and plan on using it again? Talk about a low budget maze. I mean it was still awesome but I did expect some things to be different. So I am torn on the strategy of reusing all of it. I did see John Murdy outside the maze and I stopped by and commended him on the Halloween maze and also thanked him for his hard work and dedication he shows us with the events.

Next was Crimson Peak. So I dont remember much of this maze at all. I a not sure if it is because I haven't seen the movie yet or what but it was a swing and a miss for me. The maze looked pretty cool but the scares were off in our opinion. There was also a lot of dead rooms with no scare actors. All I kept thinking all night is what happened to all the actors? Did they really break the bank building Springfield and WWoHP?!?!? This maze felt empty and reminded me too much of last years maze From dusk until Dawn. A lot of the same props were in there and seemed to be used the same way. I know they reuse things all of the time but it usually isnt so obvious. So this maze ranked very low for us. I didnt even feel like it told a story the way the mazes usually do. I really should have saw the movie before going here probably but oh well. A good maze should have told a story for me.

We headed back on the tram to experience TWD and Insidious. First up was TWD Wolves not far. On the way through the line we managed to score the give away from the scare patrol. It was a John Franco party flyer. We said the secret word from Twitter which was cupcake and scored the last one woot woot!!!! So TWD is one of our favorite TV shows so we saved this one until the end to take it all in. The outside was themed after Terminus and it looked great. We wandered through the maze we were disappointed in the lack of Walkers. They had plenty of the terminus people but few walkers. The maze itself was long but also the story seemed a bit chopped up. The most memorable scene was the one with the revolving door. Even in that room thogh no one jumed out and scared us. Its like I was just looking at the scene and nothing happened. As we went through the truck scenes we finally came across a walker who was in the middle of a bunch of fake walkers hanging around that you walked through. The ending scene was a rehash effect but a cool one. We enjoyed this maze but felt last years was a better TWD maze.

For our last maze we went through Insidious. The outside of the maze was cool looking it was the white house from the first movie. As we went through this maze we were impressed by the detail and continuity of the story. This is what HHN mazes usualy are. Most of the mazaes lacked this feel. But this maze really hit it out o the park and I am glad we saved it until last. The placeents of the Demon and the lady in black were great. The man who couldn't breathe was very creepy looking. The creeping song was playing in the maze. The whole maze was well done and told a great story while allowing us to relive moments from all three movies. There was only one section we didn't like. The lady in black was strangling someone on a bed and the scare actor looked so bored. We just kind of chuckled. If it wasn't for my love of Halloween the movie I may have liked this one best.

After we exited the maze we took look at the lines to see if we wanted to wait in line to experience any of them again.
    They were as follows:
    Halloween 90 mins
    Insidious 110 mins
    TWD 120 mins
    This is the end 60 min
    AvP 45 Mins
    Crimson Peak 60 mins

We decided that the only two worth a repeat would have been insidious or Halloween but they also had too long of lines for our taste at 1 AM. We decided to trek back to our hotel and rest up for DL the next day. Overall we had fun and enjoyed the event. It wasn't the best HHN we have been to but it was enjoyable. it really felt like there was some budget cutting with scare actors and I felt that all night. Some things I missed was a Wlking Dead scare zone.Seems like there could have been room for one near the maze some how. Heck maybe theme out the line with a scare zone since it was always over 100 mins all night. We want more wakers!!!!!! I am very glad we did FOL so we didn't have to rush around all night to see everything. I hope they find a way to add more mazes and shows for future event. Next year WWoHP will be there at least that should help the crowds maybe. The current set up is very unbalanced since there is one maze up top three in the middle and 2 on the back lot. Most people were in the middle area which also had two of the most popular mazes.

My wife and I did rank every maze we have seen so far throughout all the haunts we have been through. This is Dark Harbor, HHN and a local one here called Pirates of Emerson. Some of the Pirates of Emerson mazes ranked higher than HHN in our opinion. Last year was not the case. After careful consideration we felt that this years Lullaby from Dark harbor edged out Halloween and Insidious from HHN. Lullaby is the story of Mary who drowned in the pool on the Queen Mary. The maze takes you through the whole experience of the girl and her drowning and ends at the spot where in real life a girl drowned in the pool Its very creepy and so awesome. Anyways that's all for this year! Hope you enjoyed my trip to HHN 2015
    Last edited by biggsworth; 10-21-2015, 07:55 PM.
    These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
    My company had a special night at the park
    WdW trip report with WWoHP
    NYE 2011 trip report
    Mice Chat 7th anniversary
    Leap year 24 hour report
    New DCA trip report
    NYE 2012
    HKDL trip report

Which night did you go? I was there on Saturday night, and I didn't notice a shortage of scareactors.

Comment

Originally posted by markb1024 View Post
      Which night did you go? I was there on Saturday night, and I didn't notice a shortage of scareactors.

We were there on Sunday. Good to know maybe they have more on Saturdays.

DL 55th BDAY trip report
      NYE 2011 trip report
      Leap year 24 hour report
      New DCA trip report
      NYE 2012
      HKDL trip report

Comment

Originally posted by biggsworth View Post

We were there on Sunday. Good to know maybe they have more on Saturdays.
        Crazy lines for a Sunday! We went a few Sundays ago and the only mazes over 30 minute wait were Insideous (35) and Halloween (45). I do agree that this year certainly felt scaled back. The facades were so small, tiny compared to Knotts. The tech for the mazes was really low, both Queen Mary and Knotts had more sophisticated scares designed into mazes. And the scares were all the same, with actors only jumping out with a lighting/sound effect then resetting. I had some first time HHN friends with us and they were not impressed in the least.
        Women, they make the highs higher and the lows more frequent.

Comment

Originally posted by Professortango View Post

Crazy lines for a Sunday! We went a few Sundays ago and the only mazes over 30 minute wait were Insideous (35) and Halloween (45). I do agree that this year certainly felt scaled back. The facades were so small, tiny compared to Knotts. The tech for the mazes was really low, both Queen Mary and Knotts had more sophisticated scares designed into mazes. And the scares were all the same, with actors only jumping out with a lighting/sound effect then resetting. I had some first time HHN friends with us and they were not impressed in the least.

If you had to rank a favorite maze you went through this year for all of your Haunts which would you pick? As I said above Lullaby to us was a perfect 10/10

DL 55th BDAY trip report
          NYE 2011 trip report
          Leap year 24 hour report
          New DCA trip report
          NYE 2012
          HKDL trip report

Comment

Paranormal Inc at Knott's was our top experience this year. Followed by Deadrise and Vodoo Village at Dark Harbor. I enjoyed Lullaby, but the ship mazes never seem to fully work with me.
            Women, they make the highs higher and the lows more frequent.

Comment

Originally posted by Professortango View Post
              Paranormal Inc at Knott's was our top experience this year. Followed by Deadrise and Vodoo Village at Dark Harbor. I enjoyed Lullaby, but the ship mazes never seem to fully work with me.

Nice I'll have to reconsider Knotts for next year I haven't been in 5 years. I will watch how HHN shapes up for next year. with WWoHP open I am hoping they go all out on decorations and the event as a whole.

DL 55th BDAY trip report
              NYE 2011 trip report
              Leap year 24 hour report
              New DCA trip report
              NYE 2012
              HKDL trip report

Comment

Working...