Universal Studios Hollywood Announces New Annual Pass Information

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Universal Studios Hollywood Announces New Annual Pass Information

Today Universal announced their new pass options for 2016. There are three tiers, the California Resident Annual Pass, the California Resident Plus Annual Pass, and the Gold Annual Pass.

Pricing and available days are as follows:

California Resident Annual Pass: $139 - 182 available days

California Resident Plus Annual Pass: $199 - 244 available days

Gold Annual Pass: $299 - 312 available days

The blackout dates for each pass vary, but most weekends and peak times are blocked. Also, you cannot add parking to any tier.

More information here: http://www.universalstudioshollywood.com/annual-pass/

Will you be getting a pass before Wizarding World opens?
    Last edited by explodingboy; 11-16-2015, 11:53 AM.

Wow, this is pretty lame. People complain about Disneyland pass prices, but this is far more expensive considering what you get at Universal. USH is a tiny park that doesn't offer many attractions. DCA on its own has much, much more to do then Universal has. By the time that Potter opens, Universal will have 6 E tickets, a tram tour (which isn't that exciting to me), and a kiddie coaster plus some shows. I might consider getting the gold pass if most Saturdays were available but they aren't. Not to mention this doesn't include parking, so you have to pay 20ish dollars for each park visit. Knotts and Disneyland both offer so much more than USH that it is hard to justify a USH pass at 299 when it doesn't offer acces on many Saturdays.

Comment

The Gold pass is priced at exactly half the Disneyland Deluxe pass and has more blackout dates. I don't think Disney has much to worry about.

Comment

THANK YOU for posting this, Explodingboy!
        I might get the middle $199 one after our Disney APs expire in October of 2016 and the Harry Potter mania has died down a little. If I didn't have the Disney passes I might get the Universal ones right away since U. might test HP as they did Transformers.

Comment

Meh. I like Universal, but it's not worth this kind of price. Probably will be worth going to see Potterland when it opens, but probably still not worth a pass unless they still do the "buy a day get the rest of the year free" like they have a lot of years.
          I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Comment

Originally posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post
            Meh. I like Universal, but it's not worth this kind of price. Probably will be worth going to see Potterland when it opens, but probably still not worth a pass unless they still do the "buy a day get the rest of the year free" like they have a lot of years.
            Depending on the success of Potter, that might not happen again. I think they're banking big on something that's already existed for a few years across the country, BUT Potter is still a massive draw with a very loyal fanbase. So who knows.

Also, when will they be updating the day ticket price? That's the big question. How many days will "pay off" an annual pass?

Comment

Lol

Universal you can go F.... your self

The the lower 2 APers are jokes, seems this confirms that they wont be doing a buy a day get a year free. Meaning I don't give a dam about Potterland, your counting your chickens before they hatch
              Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

I'd have to say, IMHO, that the days of "buy a day, get the year free" for around $100 are long gone.

Universal knows that the Harry Potter themed area will be phenomenally popular, as many people cannot afford or choose not to go to the existing Harry Potter lands in Florida or in Japan. If my math is correct, there are about 20 million people living in the 5 counties surrounding Universal Studios, and Harry Potter is loved among people in their twenties and teens (as well as many in older age groups) as much as Star Wars is loved by people who grew up in the 70s and 80s.

The park, as it exists, has major capacity issues. During the summer, when the new Fast and Furious attraction opened, the parking structures closed at capacity, and I believe the entrance gates closed temporarily. Imagine that happening for weeks on end during the spring break and summer once Harry Potter opens.

That's why so many weekends are blocked out on the new Annual Passes that Universal is selling, because the park can't handle that many people. The size of the park is just too small to accommodate large crowds like Disneyland, DCA, or Knott's Berry Farm. Before Harry Potter opens, not only are there only about a dozen total rides and shows (Jurassic Park, Mummy, Transformers, Simpsons, Despicable Me, Studio Tram Tour, Waterworld show, Shrek 4D, animal show, special effects show), there isn't as much physical space to accommodate those crowds.

I would say that Universal does not want repeat visitors during high-capacity periods (weekends, summer, spring break) after Harry Potter opens, at least not unless they are willing to pay full price for every day of their visit.

Comment

These prices with blockout dates are pretty crazy. I do also understand considering the version in Florida made freeways motionless for hours. Do research on opening day! The fact that theme parks in California deal with mostly locals and California's population is greatly larger than Florida's, I can only imagine how bad it will be. Unfortunately USH is a very small park and if USO had multiple hour waits just to park (if you were lucky enough to get off the freeway),to get inside the themepark itself, getting inside the land, and then finally on the ride, I can only imagine the chaos Hollywood brings. I feel the number is limitless haha. I feel that price is crazy with all those blockout dates, but anything helps at this point I guess.

I also just thought about HHN, which easily gets sold out. I do believe Harry Potter will bring it to that point some days, but it just goes to show how small that park really is. It doesn't take much for it to sell out if it has a popular event.

Does anyone know if Olivander's will be just one room like the Hogsmeade in USO or will it be like the one in Diagon Alley (which I'm hoping or lines for that will be crazy too)?

Comment

Originally posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
                    The the lower 2 APers are jokes, seems this confirms that they wont be doing a buy a day get a year free. Meaning I don't give a dam about Potterland, your counting your chickens before they hatch
                    I wouldn't say that. Wizarding World is a guaranteed win for Universal. You may not be a fan personally, but there is no denying the popularity of the Harry Potter franchise. Now it's the capacity issues that Hollywood has to worry about, which is why we are seeing the shift in their Annual Pass program.

Originally posted by SpacemanSpiff View Post
                    I'd have to say, IMHO, that the days of "buy a day, get the year free" for around $100 are long gone.

Universal knows that the Harry Potter themed area will be phenomenally popular, as many people cannot afford or choose not to go to the existing Harry Potter lands in Florida or in Japan. If my math is correct, there are about 20 million people living in the 5 counties surrounding Universal Studios, and Harry Potter is loved among people in their twenties and teens (as well as many in older age groups) as much as Star Wars is loved by people who grew up in the 70s and 80s.

The park, as it exists, has major capacity issues. During the summer, when the new Fast and Furious attraction opened, the parking structures closed at capacity, and I believe the entrance gates closed temporarily. Imagine that happening for weeks on end during the spring break and summer once Harry Potter opens.

That's why so many weekends are blocked out on the new Annual Passes that Universal is selling, because the park can't handle that many people. The size of the park is just too small to accommodate large crowds like Disneyland, DCA, or Knott's Berry Farm. Before Harry Potter opens, not only are there only about a dozen total rides and shows (Jurassic Park, Mummy, Transformers, Simpsons, Despicable Me, Studio Tram Tour, Waterworld show, Shrek 4D, animal show, special effects show), there isn't as much physical space to accommodate those crowds.

I would say that Universal does not want repeat visitors during high-capacity periods (weekends, summer, spring break) after Harry Potter opens, at least not unless they are willing to pay full price for every day of their visit.
                    Very nicely worded! They are trying to figure out a solution to limit the local crowd as much as possible. Not having parking as an option is a one way to dissuade people. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Universal will be busy no matter what course of action they take, but I believe you're spot on with the last sentence of your post.

Comment

Small capacity park - huge draw with Potter area opening. Makes sense to me to significantly raise prices. Did they raise them enough? The Cali Plus pass is basically the cost of 2 days at the park and you get 29 weekend dates for that price. Sounds like a great deal to me. The black out dates do a good job covering the potentially crowded days.

On the other hand, I'm frightened of how the crowds will be once the Potter area opens, so my family is just getting Knotts passes for 2016...for now. I might end up losing composure and getting Universal Passes depending on reviews for the new Potter area. But those crowds. It's gonna be crazy. Hmm. I'll probably hold off until family visits.

Comment

Before the AP price restructure, I was legitimately considering purchasing an AP, but now not so much. Before, an AP with no blockout days was $170, now they don't even offer an AP without blockout days. I can definitely see most current USH APers not renewing. However, it probably wont effect crowds and the park will probably be more crowded than ever, except instead of APers, the crowd will mainly contain of ticket holders. Looks like instead of purchasing a USH AP next year, I'll just settle for a ticket to Horror Nights, where I'll be able to check out HP there.

Comment

I liked the Harry Potter lands at UNI Orlando. I did like Diagon Alley a little more, but still, Hogsmeade was the kind of place I would have liked to go back to several times and really have a chance to explore. So maybe for one year, the $199 pass might be worth it. I might wait until the crowds die down a little bit, so it probably won't be until 2017 or 2018.
                          Disneyland Cast Member
                          Outdoor Vending
                          1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:

http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

Comment

I currently have a "no black out day" season pass. When it expires in February, I'm not going to renew. I'm not interested in an annual pass with black out dates.

Comment

People are mostly talking about the blackout days, but the other fly in the ointment is the lack of a parking pass. At $18 a day the parking costs can easily exceed the cost of an AP.

Comment

Considering I only visit USH twice a year no need for a pass in my case. Seems a bit overpriced for what they offer IMO. Guess time will tell. They are smart to try and get as much as they can when WWoHP opens it is their opportunity to cash in.
                                These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
                                My company had a special night at the park
                                WdW trip report with WWoHP
                                NYE 2011 trip report
                                Mice Chat 7th anniversary
                                Leap year 24 hour report
                                New DCA trip report
                                NYE 2012
                                HKDL trip report

Comment

This week, Universal quietly increased blackout dates on all of their passes.

Gold: Originally 312, now 310.

California Resident Plus: Originally 244, now 236.

California Resident: Originally 182, now 175.

Yikes..

Comment

Working...
                                  X