Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Harry Potter at Universal to open April 7 , 2016

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • News Harry Potter at Universal to open April 7 , 2016

    I posted this here because I figure it will affect DL attendance:

    http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/m...date/76752388/

  • #2
    YES!!!! Come on, April!
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

    Comment


    • #3
      I hope the parks would be at much more comfortable levels (with closures and this)... However I think it will still be quite busy... Wasn't Knotts really crowded the day Disneyland opened its gates?

      So excited for this however! I almost considered getting a Universal pass instead of Disneyland, but it just is not as a good a value based on my personal use.

      Comment


      • #4
        I know if I lived in LA I would go to DL over USH on April 7th. USH is so small I can't see that day being enjoyable. At least when DLR is full capacity I still have tons of fun.
        These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

        DL 55th BDAY trip report
        My company had a special night at the park
        WdW trip report with WWoHP
        NYE 2011 trip report
        Mice Chat 7th anniversary
        Leap year 24 hour report
        New DCA trip report
        NYE 2012
        HKDL trip report

        Comment


        • #5
          There have also been very strong murmurs of a Jan/Feb opening of Hogsmeade only (minus Forbidden Journey). All very exciting, I think this will be the best stand-alone land/attraction in SoCal... it just happens to be in a park that's not quite there yet.
          Disneyland Wooooh!

          "You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

          Comment


          • #6
            ^You may want to keep your expectations grounded a bit. Forbidden Journey - Orlando as a ride didn't measure up to my lofty expectations (whereas Escape from Gringotts did). While Hogsmeade village is outstanding, Orlando's FJ exposed showbuilding dominates major sightlines.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Jerryp49 View Post
              I posted this here because I figure it will affect DL attendance:

              http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/m...date/76752388/
              I doubt anyone here is going to care because they are "All In" on Disney.
              --
              http://www.bewaterwise.com

              Comment


              • #8
                Note this seems like a great day to head to Disneyland where everyone else should be in Potterland waiting in 3 hour lines to pick up a wand
                Happy Halloween!!!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Jesser-pie View Post
                  I hope the parks would be at much more comfortable levels (with closures and this)... However I think it will still be quite busy... Wasn't Knotts really crowded the day Disneyland opened its gates?
                  .
                  Knott's wouldn't have even been a gated park when Disneyland opened. But I just checked their official website, which has a "history" page and it said,"Walter and Cordelia attend the July 18 opening ceremonies of Disneyland, and return to find the Farm parking lot filled to capacity. Despite rumors to the contrary, Knott’s Berry Farm continues to thrive, enjoying its best year ever.".

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by ravencroft View Post

                    I doubt anyone here is going to care because they are "All In" on Disney.

                    I'm definitely in the minority here, but we're letting our Disney passes lapse, and picked up USH passes instead.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      We are going to DL for Dapper Days the last week in April. I`m hoping that HP will draw away some of the crowd. Also on my wish list is that FP+ will be up and running with advanced reservations for Resort Hotel guests.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by ravencroft View Post

                        I doubt anyone here is going to care because they are "All In" on Disney.
                        Any fan of Disney's theme parks should be excited about the Harry Potter land and the Forbidden Journey attraction. It's a fantastic land/attraction on par with Disney's best.
                        My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I almost feel that this might have the opposite effect. The opening of HP World might cause more people to plan vacations to the area (as opposed to Florida or elsewhere) and include Disneyland in their plans increasing attendance at both parks. I feel the same might be said for what happened at Knotts when Disneyland first opened. Increased tourism would mean increased attendence for most entertainment in the area.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by 9oldmen View Post
                            Knott's wouldn't have even been a gated park when Disneyland opened. But I just checked their official website, which has a "history" page and it said,"Walter and Cordelia attend the July 18 opening ceremonies of Disneyland, and return to find the Farm parking lot filled to capacity. Despite rumors to the contrary, Knott’s Berry Farm continues to thrive, enjoying its best year ever.".

                            True (it's partially why I don't consider Knotts the first theme park; a questionable claim they also make). Still, those that are visiting Universal can easily drive down the next day to see Disneyland as well. It's not always either/or; sometimes it's both/and.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Interesting, wonder how many people tourists will exchange a day at DL for Universal. So is this one ticket unlike Florida where you need two?
                              I can see DL being a bit lighter with all the closures and price increases but I don't imagine that will last once the novelty of HP wears off.

                              ETA - So did I read that article correct, there's no Gringotts and the rollercoaster ride that's part of it? That's gotta be a huge disappointment.
                              Feel free to visit my Etsy Shop; https://www.etsy.com/shop/AlienKaboo...=hdr_shop_menu
                              to see my Disney and StarWars skirts for little girls.

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Gringotts and Diagon alley were the second phase of Harry Potter in Florida. I imagine if Harry Potter is as successful here as it is there the Gringotts coaster may eventually come here. Of course USH is tiny compared to Universal Orlando so space constrictions may prevent it from coming here.

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Duplicate post for a similar thread:

                                  Five ways Universal's WW of HP could be improved here and in Orlando:

                                  1. While waiting in line, all of the portraits should move, not just the low ones.

                                  2. If a restaurant features sketches of witches, don't repeat the sketches so the same one is hung in 2 or 3 different places. This defeats the spirit of this great theme park land that prohibits mass produced Coke, Pepsi, and Universal shirts that would better fit with a store at the entrance.

                                  3. If it's 90 degrees in the summer, don't make the excellent Hogwarts Frog Choir wear shirts with scarves and sweaters and robes. Yes it looks good, but it's uncomfortable even to watch and made me think, if this were really Hogwarts the students wouldn't wear that in this weather.

                                  4. [Deleted suggestion] . . . please go back to the kitchen to make a better pumplin juice. Don't mess with the regular Butterbeer (It's as good as everyone says!), hot Butterbeer (my favorite), and the very good Butterbeer ice cream. (One ice cream serving is enough for two, btw.)

                                  5. I thought the dementors on the attraction (the AAs, not the filmed ones) would have looked at home in a state fair haunted house.
                                  Last edited by jcruise86; 12-11-2015, 11:48 AM.

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Originally posted by jcruise86 View Post
                                    Duplicate post for a similar thread:

                                    Five ways Universal's WW of HP could be improved here and in Orlando:

                                    1. While waiting in line, all of the portraits should move, not just the low ones.

                                    2. If a restaurant features sketches of witches, don't repeat the sketches so the same one is hung in 2 or 3 different places. This defeats the spirit of this great theme park land that prohibits mass produced Coke, Pepsi, and Universal shirts that would better fit with a store at the entrance.

                                    3. If it's 90 degrees in the summer, don't make the excellent Hogwarts Frog Choir wear shirts with scarves and sweaters and robes. Yes it looks good, but it's uncomfortable even to watch and made me think, if this were really Hogwarts the students wouldn't wear that in this weather.

                                    4. Make the frozen Butterbeer a little less sweet. I have a sweet tooth and didn't like this. And please go back to the kitchen to make a better pumplin juice. Don't mess with the regular Butterbeer (It's as good as everyone says!), hot Butterbeer (my favorite), and the very good Butterbeer ice cream. (One ice cream serving is enough for two, btw.)

                                    5. I thought the dementors on the attraction (the AAs, not the filmed ones) would have looked at home in a state fair haunted house.
                                    Great points!

                                    3 - Yes; it's a credit to the actors that they were able to keep a cool face (aside from visibly sweating from the heat). The full outfit is definitely stuck in Philosopher's/ Sorcerer's Stone and Chamber of Secrets movies era. Just take off the robes, roll up the sleeves and loosen the ties for a casual look (like they did in later movies - think Ron in the Hippogriff scene).

                                    4 - I love the frozen butterbeer as is; to be honest it is one of my favorite things about these parks. If anything I would love to be served the drinks in a souvenir glass made of actual glass (it would feel less theme park). They could do it as least at the sit down eateries if they can't at the stand.

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Originally posted by Jesser-pie View Post
                                      . . . 4 - I love the frozen butterbeer as is; to be honest it is one of my favorite things about these parks. . .
                                      Well since I LOVE the hot and regular Butterbeer options and like the Butterbeer ice cream, I'm glad they also have another option that others like you like as much.
                                      Different drinks for different folks.

                                      Glad you agree on the outfits in the summer, though someone in a Sully, Spongebob, or Captain Hook costume might have it as bad,
                                      even if those characters (unlike Orlando's frog choir) can hang out in the shade.

                                      Today a friend pointed out how cool the WWoHP could become at Halloween or Christmas! That's not the most grown-up sentence I've ever written, but what was great about the WW was the child-like astonishment I felt when I first entered Hogwarts Village on a beautiful, stormy night.

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Originally posted by dictionary View Post
                                        Interesting, wonder how many people tourists will exchange a day at DL for Universal. So is this one ticket unlike Florida where you need two?
                                        I can see DL being a bit lighter with all the closures and price increases but I don't imagine that will last once the novelty of HP wears off.

                                        ETA - So did I read that article correct, there's no Gringotts and the rollercoaster ride that's part of it? That's gotta be a huge disappointment.

                                        I know that Dragon Challenge was just a rethemed Dueling Dragons but it really did add a lot to the area. Now I can understand WWOHP opening without Gringotts even though I wish it would; however, as great as Forbidden Journey and the surrounding theming is, it really needs to have more E ticket rides to be able to compare with the Florida version.

                                        Comment

                                        Working...
                                        X