Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hated suggestion: U. H.wood: charge $124 or more on weekends from May through August

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hated suggestion: U. H.wood: charge $124 or more on weekends from May through August

(This is in response to this morning's L.A. Times article about "demand pricing" at Universal Hollywood.)

So how much did you pay for those good "Book of Mormon," "Hamilton," or NFL tickets? And how much did you spend on that excellent ski trip to enjoy the great snow this year?

Universal has built an
    (almost--see footnote below) spare-no-expense, permanent land that is themed about as well as the Walt-infused New Orleans Square was long ago. Hollywood's Wizarding World of Harry Potter with its upgraded 3D attraction is going to be miserably crowded for guests, and Universal deserves to be rewarded for its bold, and tasteful risk-taking. So during May through August, charge more on weekends.The mid-to-late April throngs will prove that this will be a no brainer. So raise prices just on these weekends during these 4 months, then again near Christmas.

Also, on Saturdays and Sundays from April 7 through August, please open the WWoHP at 6am,
    and on Friday and Saturday nights, please close it at 1am
    , (That's 1am on Sat. & Sunday mornings for you more literal folks.)

Footnotes: As awesome as it is, the moving Hogwarts portraits while you wait in line in Orlando for the Hogwart's Forbidden Journey ride move just like in the movies. The lower ones that is. Universal cheaped out on the upper ones, and the high-ceilinged impressive room looks just a bit cheaper as a result. Still cool, but disappointing too if you were hoping it would = the movies.

And at the Leaky Cauldron the sketches of witches are repeated throughout the restaurant. Lazy.

And some large, AA dementors on one of the Orlando attractions (not the Hogwarts Express) looked like they would have fit in at a state fair midway haunted house.

But other than that, the two connected Wizarding WorldS of Harry Potter I experienced in late August at Universal Orlando this summer were the most impressive theme park lands I've ever experienced. Note: no, I haven't been to Tokyo Disney Sea...yet.

Last criticism/suggestion: Please don't make the Hogwarts
    Frog Choir wear shirts, sweaters, scarves and robes if it's over 85 degrees out. I spent part of their show imagining how uncomfortable they must have felt, and how if it were really Howarts the students wouldn't have ignored the real weather. I know Sully and other costumed characters do bikram greeting, but that's another related issue. Their masks smile on more easily.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 02-13-2016, 04:04 PM.

Cheers for more park hours; it is one of the reasons I decided not to get a pass. Time is a precious commodity and the more hours WWoHP is open, the better for crowds and the guest's personal experience.

Note on your footnotes: they are spot on accurate.

Comment

I'm on board with this idea!

Comment

Originally posted by jcruise86 View Post
        ([SIZE=14px]

Last criticism/suggestion: Please don't make the Hogwarts
        Frog Choir wear shirts, sweaters, scarves and robes if it's over 85 degrees out. I spent part of their show imagining how uncomfortable they must have felt, and how if it were really Howarts the students wouldn't have ignored the real weather. I know Sully and other costumed characters do bikram greeting, but that's another related issue. Their masks smile on more easily.
        That was the one big problem they ran into by building a Harry Potter themed land in Florida. All of the clothing in the movies is for a VERY cold climate, and it most definitely does not fit in Florida. Not only do the poor cast members have to wear robes and scarves and things when it's 95 degrees out and 100% humidity, but the guests who want to dress all have only cold weather options. Although the stores are jam packed, I wonder how much they actually sell considering that no one in Florida needs a scarf, gloves, earmuffs, a sweatervest, a robe, etc.
        Disneyland Cast Member
        Outdoor Vending
        1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:

http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

Comment

Originally posted by Big D View Post

That was the one big problem they ran into by building a Harry Potter themed land in Florida. All of the clothing in the movies is for a VERY cold climate, and it most definitely does not fit in Florida. Not only do the poor cast members have to wear robes and scarves and things when it's 95 degrees out and 100% humidity, but the guests who want to dress all have only cold weather options. Although the stores are jam packed, I wonder how much they actually sell considering that no one in Florida needs a scarf, gloves, earmuffs, a sweatervest, a robe, etc.
          White shirts and school ties might work in the heat, if the shirts were nice.

Comment

I wish we could have on "slow" night events where you pay 50 bucks but get to come in to low crowds and only rides are open
            7 PM - 1 AM and it's a limited Event so I could walk in and get to ride the rides without the giant crowds
            Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

Well apparently Disney liked the suggestion.

Link:
              http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel...ason/81110054/

Comment

Had another idea similar to yours jcruise86. How about a private event on Saturday nights from say 10pm - 2am that you pay around $100 for? Limit it to however many people so that the shops don't feel overly crowded, and the line is under 45 minutes for the Forbidden Journey. You can have special merchandise and entertainment available. Think about it. Traffic in So Cal is horrible, but if I'm leaving my home at say 8:30pm at night to be at Universal by 9:30pm traffic would be okay, and certainly coming home at 2am there wouldn't be any traffic at all. In a relatively uncrowded Hogsmeade you'd get to see and do as much in 4hrs as you would in a normal operating day with the crowds. Plus, a lot of people like myself would be buying a day ticket to Universal (which is almost $100 anyway) just to see Hogsmeade. I don't really have too much of an interest in the park other than maybe Transformer's and Jurassic Park. So this way I can get just Hogsmeade, get lighter crowds, and get some special entertainment and merchandise. I'm not one to dress up, but for those who enjoy cosplay, it would even be a lot nicer wearing those robes and scarves and all the very warm HP costumes at midnight then it would be during the day.
                Disneyland Cast Member
                Outdoor Vending
                1996 - 1999

Comment

Originally posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
                  I wish we could have on "slow" night events where you pay 50 bucks but get to come in to low crowds and only rides are open
                  7 PM - 1 AM and it's a limited Event so I could walk in and get to ride the rides without the giant crowds

I just saw you had already suggested almost the exact same thing as I did. However, $50 is way too low. A full priced ticket to Halloween Horror Nights is around $100, and those are insane crowds. A private event to just Hogsmeade wouldn't offer the same amount of entertainment as Halloween Horror Nights, but at the same time the idea is to pay for lower crowds, so I think it would be closer to $100 or possibly more. If Universal did do this, you know they would start with a high ticket, and then if they didn't get the sales they wanted, they'd probably start offering coupons where you could get in for $50 on certain slower night, just like they do with their Halloween event. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they started off trying to charge $200 just to see if there were enough HP fans to pay for that for at least the first few months, and then they could introduce coupons later on.
                  Disneyland Cast Member
                  Outdoor Vending
                  1996 - 1999

Comment

Working...
                  X