Announcement

Collapse

Your Assistance Please

We need your help to battle spammers and also to keep our community user friendly.
PLEASE BE KIND TO OTHERS - Refrain from personal attacks. Avoid politics and harsh language whenever possible. If someone is violating our simple rules, DO NOT confront them, simply report the post.
STOP SPAMMERS - Report the post. DO NOT respond to them.

2017 is a year of renewal for us, we have lots of exciting changes on the way for you, but we don't have time to deal with trolls and spammers. If you find yourself suspended and need to plead your case, you will need to do so after your suspension. We are happy to address your concerns if you made a simple mistake. However, please note that those with a history of bad behavior and pushing our rules to the limit will not be given the courtesy of a reply.

MiceChat offers a number of ways for you to communicate and get involved. We offer Facebook Groups and Pages, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest accounts. We have a front page filled with amazing content. We offer weekly meetups in the parks. Meets and events all over the world. Podcasts and videos. And we continue to maintain forums for your posting convenience. But with all those options, we can't be everywhere all the time. We need YOUR help. Please don't poke the trolls. Report posts and leave reputation. We'll do our best to keep the forums clean and active, but we can't do so without your help.

Thank you for your support folks, it's going to be a really fantastic year in the MiceChat world.
See more
See less

Ideas for one day visit??

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas for one day visit??

We haven't been to Universal Studios Hollywood for a long time, and we are planning one day there next month before going to Disneyland. We would like to focus on attractions we might enjoy, since we just have one day. For some perspective, some of the things we like at D-land are Indy, Splash Mtn, Big Thunder RR, Pirates, Radiator Racers, Soarin, Star Tours, Haunted Mansion, Gadget & Goofy mouse coasters. NOT into Space Mtn, CA Screamin, or Matterhorn.

Would anyone have the time to give us a little advice on what things we might want to try for a single-day visit? Thanks!

Oh, and we probably wouldn't care for anything like the Tower of Terror drop. And my wife and I are seniors, and no little ones coming on this trip, so probably wouldn't do any kiddie attractions.

Comment

You must definitely see and do everything in the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. The land is amazing. The food at the Three Broomsticks is very good. I think it is the best food in the park. If you are a fan of Harry Potter, or even if you aren't, I recommend trying a Butterbeer. I enjoy the frozen version. Of course you should take the Studio Tour and I think you would enjoy the following rides: Simpson's, Despicable Me, and the Transformers. If you don't mind getting drenched, Jurassic Park is fun. If you have a plastic poncho, I would suggest you bring it or you can buy one at the park. I don't know if you would like the Mummy. It is a roller coaster and it does go backward but no upside down. All three of the shows in the park are fun. I hope you and your wife have a great time!! I love Universal!!

Comment

Thanks for the ideas! We will put these at the top of our list. And yeah, probably skip the Mummy. :-(

Comment

Jurassic Park may or may not test your drop tolerance. If you're bothered AT ALL by the POTC drop, by all means sit and watch the boats coming out of the bottom before you commit.

I also recommend the shows for the most part. A show like the Animal Actor show (forget what it's called now) is a lower key and low adrenaline show that depends on your tolerance for highly trained animals going through their paces. Another option, such as Waterworld, is a larger stunt and effect spectacular that depends on your tolerance for highly trained stuntpeople going through their paces.
          Boggard LIEEEEF!

Comment

Harry Potter (Hogsmeade) is definitely Universal's crown jewel (if not the studio tour). So like the above poster, I would recommend taking some extra time to enjoy that area. In my opinion, Frozen butterbeer is better than the soda version and per the Hogsmeade "denizens" its the more popular choice so I recommend it on those merits. However, an underrated favorite of mine is Pumpkin Fizzz (sold at three broomsticks restaurant, its lightly bubbly apple cider with pumpkin). Since you like Indy, Star Tours, and Soarin, I think you will enjoy the Forbidden Journey, which is somewhat of a combination of the three. The line itself can be an attraction at certain points. Also, the land has these two (cute but cheesy) little shows with wizarding students that are worthy if you happen to be in the area (they repeat throughout the day and usually easy to catch without effort).

If you like Splash, then I think you should try Jurassic. It is not as cute or as detailed, but the overall theme of the ride (going astray with a T Rex on the loose) works well the ride system and movie the ride was based on.

I am not a fan of Universal's shows, except WaterWorld. It's a quirky stuntshow that will get you wet depending on how close you sit. I believe it's ending soon, so I would recommend seeing it when you have the chance.

Lastly, the Studio Tour is a must; if you can, go at night. It gives the sets a more dramatic feel and it doesn't seem as rushed as some day tours I have experienced.

As far far as food goes, once again Hogsmeade (Three Broomsticks) is the best; bangers and mash or roasted chicken dinner are my favorites. However, if your craving more greasy deliciousness like burgers and fries, I think Krusty Burger and Cletus' chicken shack are tasty and their theming is very fun.

Comment

Thanks to all for the great advice! We will be there Monday, May 15, and park hours look like 10 to 7. I assume the Night Studio Tour is only when park is open late, so maybe couldn't catch that. Here is my tentative plan, in order (trying to avoid lots of back & forth across the park), with some of my comments and guesses at how rides compare to D-land.

Shrek (3D in theatre, with seat effects)
              Simpsons (Motion sim, like Star Tours?)
              Studio Tour
              Forbidden Journey
              Hippogriff (Like Goofy's Sky School?)
              Late lunch at 3 Broomsticks (maybe lighter crowds)
              Transformers (Little like Indy, with 3D screens?)
              Jurassic (Like Splash Mtn?)
              Special Effects Show (to relax a little)
              Minion (Like Soarin', but seats move?)
              WaterWorld (Supposed to be open after refurb)
              Walking Dead (While wife shops. She's not a fan.)

Comment

I'd make sure to do the Potter rides as soon as the park opens, then move to the lower lot then come back up and enjoy everything else before the night tour.

Also the food outside the park might be a little bit more money but not much more and you get bigger and better food from most restaurants like Saddle Ranch, Margaritta Villa and Camacho's Cantina. Heck or even Buca

Enjoy your Day
                Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Billrow View Post
                  Thanks to all for the great advice! We will be there Monday, May 15, and park hours look like 10 to 7. I assume the Night Studio Tour is only when park is open late, so maybe couldn't catch that. Here is my tentative plan, in order (trying to avoid lots of back & forth across the park), with some of my comments and guesses at how rides compare to D-land.

Shrek (3D in theatre, with seat effects)
                  Simpsons (Motion sim, like Star Tours?)
                  Studio Tour
                  Forbidden Journey
                  Hippogriff (Like Goofy's Sky School?)
                  Late lunch at 3 Broomsticks (maybe lighter crowds)
                  Transformers (Little like Indy, with 3D screens?)
                  Jurassic (Like Splash Mtn?)
                  Special Effects Show (to relax a little)
                  Minion (Like Soarin', but seats move?)
                  WaterWorld (Supposed to be open after refurb)
                  Walking Dead (While wife shops. She's not a fan.)

I would compare Hippogriff more to a slightly longer and smoother Gadgets Go Coaster. It's got a similar speed and curviness while Goofy's is more twisty in my opinion.

Jurassic is similar to Splash as they are both water flume rides where the climax ends in a tall drop. Jurassic is taller and feels faster; thus it is more intense physically, but really only for one drop. The rest of the ride is very mild physically (another small drop before the finale).

Minon is more like an intense 3D theater than a ride in my opinion. The seats have much more movement than say Captain EO/ Honey I Shrunk the Audience; however, you sit in an open room with many other seats that are not enclosed and barely lift from the ground, so it doesn't feel like a ride to me.

Simpsons ride system is pretty much the same as Star Tours from a rider perspective at least.
                  Last edited by Jesser-pie; 04-27-2017, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X