Announcement

Collapse
1 of 3 < >

UPGRADE

The forums will be upgraded to the latest software version on 9/26/17 at 9:30pm PDT. The upgrade should only take a few minutes. During the upgrade you might experience errors, but they will go away once the upgrade is completed. This is not the upgrade/move we have been discussing for the past few months. This is just normal, minor maintenance. Thank you.
2 of 3 < >

Ad Blockers

Please do not use ad blocking software when visiting MiceChat. It costs money to keep MiceChat online, and ad revenue offsets this. Thank you.
3 of 3 < >

Registration Policy

In order to eliminate SPAM, all new users must verify their email. Once the email address is verified, we make sure your IP address is not a VPN, proxy, or tor exit node. If you have tried to register and it was not approved, please send an email to administrator@micechat.com. We will try to resolve the issue and then you can try again. Thank you.
See more
See less

Halloween Horror Nights 2017

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Hollywood] Halloween Horror Nights 2017

Surprised their is no thread about this, but is anyone excited for Horror Nights this year? We have Jason, Feddy, chucky and saw returning.
    Also as a huge fan of the movie Sininsterglad its apart of one of the mazes.

So what are you excited about this year?
    Happy Halloween!!!

We purchased the RIP tour cannot wait for it!
    These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
    My company had a special night at the park
    WdW trip report with WWoHP
    NYE 2011 trip report
    Mice Chat 7th anniversary
    Leap year 24 hour report
    New DCA trip report
    NYE 2012
    HKDL trip report

Comment

Too expensive for such a poorly managed event. Love their sets, but the scares are almost all the same (triggered pop outs). I miss their original mazes as I've never been into bad slasher movies. Ash vs Evil Dead, AHS, and the Shining look interesting but I can't justify $200 a person for 3 mazes.
      Last edited by Professortango; 09-05-2017, 09:33 AM.
      Women, they make the highs higher and the lows more frequent.

Comment

Love this event. I'll be going the first week of October. I'll also be hitting QM Dark Harbor, Knotts Halloween Haunt, Magic Mountain Fright Fest, Reign Of Terror and 17th door.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Shape View Post
          Love this event. I'll be going the first week of October. I'll also be hitting QM Dark Harbor, Knotts Halloween Haunt, Magic Mountain Fright Fest, Reign Of Terror and 17th door.
          Dark Harbor is our favorite!

DL 55th BDAY trip report
          NYE 2011 trip report
          Leap year 24 hour report
          New DCA trip report
          NYE 2012
          HKDL trip report

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Shape View Post
            I've always wanted to try Reign of Terror, I see them at ScareLA every year. 17th Door...such a disappointment. Hopefully they've gotten better in the years since, but their inaugural year in 2015 had so much potential ruined by muddy presentation and lack of foresight.
            Women, they make the highs higher and the lows more frequent.

Comment

I was hoping for an IT maze (gonna go see that tomorrow at the local 4DX), but oh well. Also hoping for one based on Rings but since that movie tanked (forget everyone else, I liked it) that'll never happen.

Comment

Hoping someone goes tonight and posts a review tomorrow!

DL 55th BDAY trip report
                NYE 2011 trip report
                Leap year 24 hour report
                New DCA trip report
                NYE 2012
                HKDL trip report

Comment

I'm goona be there on the 6th of October. So far, all of these have been fun but I'm a horror junkie and i love this kind of stuff. Last year I hit every haunt in LA that I could and the only diappointment was an incredibly cheesey event called Field Of Screams in Lake Elsinor.

Comment

Went last night. Did early entry. No front of the line. I avoided the Terror Tram this time because my focus was trying to do as many mazes as possible.

Best word to describe this year: Autopilot

OVERALL. The lack of scarezones really does put a damper on the whole vibe of the event. Especially if you have been here before. The Mazes themselves are the quality you expect from Universal, but they aren't doing anything new and interesting. This is coming from someone who has attended the event for the past 7 years...

I wasn't able to go on Insidious unfortunately as the wait time skyrocketed early on to 3 hours. This is the maze to tackle first as it appears to be the one people are flocking to.

There were a lot of media bloggers too that were videotaping inside the mazes that put a real damper on the experience if you happened to be behind them... Opening night woes...

My biggest disappointment this year is it seemed like this was a budget cut season, the lack of scarezones and the recycling of sets and props from the previous 4 years of the event... The mazes themselves, really lack variety. Last year, we had mazes like The Exorcist and Krampus that really broke up the tone. This year, they are all pretty similar. I feel like a huge wasted opportunity was done to The Shining. For a movie that hinges so much on a Hedge Maze, that sequence was so completely botched that it really brought down my entire perception of the maze itself. Which, couldn't figure out what it wanted to be. Is it a psychological descent into madness? Or is it a jump out scare funhouse type of maze? The two tones just seemed to be in conflict the entire time. I feel like so much more could have been done with this property, so massive disappointment.

If this is your first Horror Nights, you'll probably be thrilled (aside from the long wait times). But as a veteran of the event, I can't help that this year feels cheap and recycled and flat out lazy with the lack of scarezones.

The mazes I went on from best to worse:

1. Ash Vs. The Evil Dead (Great sets, Great Balance of Scares and Fun)
                    2. Saw (Great sets, Effects)
                    3. American Horror Story: Roanoke (Great tension, sets)
                    4. Titans of Terror maze (Love how the opening ties them all together, it's recycled stuff, but some new scare tactics to spice things up)
                    5. The Shining (HUGE. HUGE. HUGE Disappointment. It's a typical maze with a Shining overlay. None of the creeps, chills, slow build that the property demands. What could have been an ultra suspenseful walkthrough that ends with balls to the wall terror is a predictable haunted house attraction)
                    6. Blumhouse (Hodge podge of weak properties cramped together. Mid-Level Knotts Scary Farms quality)

Like I said, I didn't get to do Insidious or Terror Tram. Insidious though is another hodge podge of recycled sets and elements with the new elements for the new film. Wish Universal would tackle some new ideas and properties. I appreciate the risk they took on The Shining, but the execution was poor.

This events biggest flaws is that all the Mazes become very predictable and are too similar to eachother in execution.

I give this year overall a B grade. What is generally what I consider a solid A event. I could easily see Knotts taking the mantle for best Horror Attractions this year.

Don't get me wrong, It's still a great event. But if Universal wants to keep charging premium pricing for this event, then we as patrons deserve the same sort of quality experience. Would it hurt them to put a little bit more work and creativity into these mazes?

Comment

I haven't yet had a chance to go myself yet (next weekend!), but I've also gone for the last 7-ish years. Reviews I've heard are all over the place. You loved Ash Vs. Evil Dead. I've heard just as many people say they thought that was the worst one by far. And many others are also liking The Shining.

But not dissing on you at all, because I've heard just as many people say what you state. So there doesn't seem to be as much consensus this year.

That said, last year, while I loved HHN, I did think Knott's was, to a certain degree, a better overall haunt. All of their mazes has a very distinct personality and mood, while the ones at HHN, while very high quality, all sort of start to feel the same after a while.

Final thought: timing and the scareactors can also change the intensity of the maze. I'd say as an overall, HHN has by far the more consistent quality scareactors, which adds a lot. Knott's scareactors can be very, very hit and miss. I've gone through mazes at Knott's where they scareactors were on their game, then would enter the same maze later in the night and they'd either be gone entirely or acting like they were taking a break and not interact whatsoever.
                      Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

Comment

You're preaching to the choir. Here's the thing, what do I want out of a maze? Do I want awesome sets/mood or do I want lots of scares? I think most of us want a nice combo of the two.

Ash does that. It marries it all together. I wasn't expecting it to be so good and maybe thats why I was pleasantly surprised. It's funny because KRAMPUS got a lot of flack last year, and it was actually one of the best mazes last year. I think if you just want GORE and SCARES, you were disappointed. But if you wanted great sets, mood, atmosphere with some THRILLS you were happy.

The Shining needed more space, and a bigger budget. The whole time I thought, "this feels cheap". The over reliance on heavily edited video projectors really pull you out of the experience. The lack of an actual hedge maze, despite promising it on the front, is also disappointing. Its a major disappointment. After the success of Exorcist last year, I had high hopes for them being able to pull Shining off.

I think what you have to do is sift through the hyperbole of horror fanatics WANTING to love something more than what it is. Just because it's a SHINING maze, that doesn't mean it's a great maze automatically. I think people forgive it because they see iconographic things that they enjoy. But as a veteran theme park goer, I'd like to see Shining elevated to something more than a carny quality experience. It just could have been so much more. And considering they are saving money on Scarezones this year, they could have put that into the mazes.

Oh well. I'll be back again, I have the frequent fear pass. But yes, I am so looking forward to KNOTTS now for redemption.

Originally posted by JesterMn View Post
                        I haven't yet had a chance to go myself yet (next weekend!), but I've also gone for the last 7-ish years. Reviews I've heard are all over the place. You loved Ash Vs. Evil Dead. I've heard just as many people say they thought that was the worst one by far. And many others are also liking The Shining.

But not dissing on you at all, because I've heard just as many people say what you state. So there doesn't seem to be as much consensus this year.

That said, last year, while I loved HHN, I did think Knott's was, to a certain degree, a better overall haunt. All of their mazes has a very distinct personality and mood, while the ones at HHN, while very high quality, all sort of start to feel the same after a while.

Final thought: timing and the scareactors can also change the intensity of the maze. I'd say as an overall, HHN has by far the more consistent quality scareactors, which adds a lot. Knott's scareactors can be very, very hit and miss. I've gone through mazes at Knott's where they scareactors were on their game, then would enter the same maze later in the night and they'd either be gone entirely or acting like they were taking a break and not interact whatsoever.

Comment

The Shiining isn't bad....just to me it was the worst one I went on

I really was suprised how much I enjoyed the Tram, its been like 5+ years since I thought they did a really good job with that maze set up

GET there as early as you can, it really helps. I did all the mazes but Horror story by 11:15 PM
                          Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X