Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Hollywood] Halloween Horror Nights 2017

Surprised their is no thread about this, but is anyone excited for Horror Nights this year? We have Jason, Feddy, chucky and saw returning.
    Also as a huge fan of the movie Sininsterglad its apart of one of the mazes.

So what are you excited about this year?
    Happy Halloween!!!

We purchased the RIP tour cannot wait for it!
    These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
    My company had a special night at the park
    WdW trip report with WWoHP
    NYE 2011 trip report
    Mice Chat 7th anniversary
    Leap year 24 hour report
    New DCA trip report
    NYE 2012
    HKDL trip report

Comment

Too expensive for such a poorly managed event. Love their sets, but the scares are almost all the same (triggered pop outs). I miss their original mazes as I've never been into bad slasher movies. Ash vs Evil Dead, AHS, and the Shining look interesting but I can't justify $200 a person for 3 mazes.
      Last edited by Professortango; 09-05-2017, 09:33 AM.
      Women, they make the highs higher and the lows more frequent.

Comment

Love this event. I'll be going the first week of October. I'll also be hitting QM Dark Harbor, Knotts Halloween Haunt, Magic Mountain Fright Fest, Reign Of Terror and 17th door.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Shape View Post
          Love this event. I'll be going the first week of October. I'll also be hitting QM Dark Harbor, Knotts Halloween Haunt, Magic Mountain Fright Fest, Reign Of Terror and 17th door.
          Dark Harbor is our favorite!

DL 55th BDAY trip report
          NYE 2011 trip report
          Leap year 24 hour report
          New DCA trip report
          NYE 2012
          HKDL trip report

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Shape View Post
            I've always wanted to try Reign of Terror, I see them at ScareLA every year. 17th Door...such a disappointment. Hopefully they've gotten better in the years since, but their inaugural year in 2015 had so much potential ruined by muddy presentation and lack of foresight.
            Women, they make the highs higher and the lows more frequent.

Comment

I was hoping for an IT maze (gonna go see that tomorrow at the local 4DX), but oh well. Also hoping for one based on Rings but since that movie tanked (forget everyone else, I liked it) that'll never happen.

Comment

Hoping someone goes tonight and posts a review tomorrow!

DL 55th BDAY trip report
                NYE 2011 trip report
                Leap year 24 hour report
                New DCA trip report
                NYE 2012
                HKDL trip report

Comment

I'm goona be there on the 6th of October. So far, all of these have been fun but I'm a horror junkie and i love this kind of stuff. Last year I hit every haunt in LA that I could and the only diappointment was an incredibly cheesey event called Field Of Screams in Lake Elsinor.

Comment

Went last night. Did early entry. No front of the line. I avoided the Terror Tram this time because my focus was trying to do as many mazes as possible.

Best word to describe this year: Autopilot

OVERALL. The lack of scarezones really does put a damper on the whole vibe of the event. Especially if you have been here before. The Mazes themselves are the quality you expect from Universal, but they aren't doing anything new and interesting. This is coming from someone who has attended the event for the past 7 years...

I wasn't able to go on Insidious unfortunately as the wait time skyrocketed early on to 3 hours. This is the maze to tackle first as it appears to be the one people are flocking to.

There were a lot of media bloggers too that were videotaping inside the mazes that put a real damper on the experience if you happened to be behind them... Opening night woes...

My biggest disappointment this year is it seemed like this was a budget cut season, the lack of scarezones and the recycling of sets and props from the previous 4 years of the event... The mazes themselves, really lack variety. Last year, we had mazes like The Exorcist and Krampus that really broke up the tone. This year, they are all pretty similar. I feel like a huge wasted opportunity was done to The Shining. For a movie that hinges so much on a Hedge Maze, that sequence was so completely botched that it really brought down my entire perception of the maze itself. Which, couldn't figure out what it wanted to be. Is it a psychological descent into madness? Or is it a jump out scare funhouse type of maze? The two tones just seemed to be in conflict the entire time. I feel like so much more could have been done with this property, so massive disappointment.

If this is your first Horror Nights, you'll probably be thrilled (aside from the long wait times). But as a veteran of the event, I can't help that this year feels cheap and recycled and flat out lazy with the lack of scarezones.

The mazes I went on from best to worse:

1. Ash Vs. The Evil Dead (Great sets, Great Balance of Scares and Fun)
                    2. Saw (Great sets, Effects)
                    3. American Horror Story: Roanoke (Great tension, sets)
                    4. Titans of Terror maze (Love how the opening ties them all together, it's recycled stuff, but some new scare tactics to spice things up)
                    5. The Shining (HUGE. HUGE. HUGE Disappointment. It's a typical maze with a Shining overlay. None of the creeps, chills, slow build that the property demands. What could have been an ultra suspenseful walkthrough that ends with balls to the wall terror is a predictable haunted house attraction)
                    6. Blumhouse (Hodge podge of weak properties cramped together. Mid-Level Knotts Scary Farms quality)

Like I said, I didn't get to do Insidious or Terror Tram. Insidious though is another hodge podge of recycled sets and elements with the new elements for the new film. Wish Universal would tackle some new ideas and properties. I appreciate the risk they took on The Shining, but the execution was poor.

This events biggest flaws is that all the Mazes become very predictable and are too similar to eachother in execution.

I give this year overall a B grade. What is generally what I consider a solid A event. I could easily see Knotts taking the mantle for best Horror Attractions this year.

Don't get me wrong, It's still a great event. But if Universal wants to keep charging premium pricing for this event, then we as patrons deserve the same sort of quality experience. Would it hurt them to put a little bit more work and creativity into these mazes?

Comment

I haven't yet had a chance to go myself yet (next weekend!), but I've also gone for the last 7-ish years. Reviews I've heard are all over the place. You loved Ash Vs. Evil Dead. I've heard just as many people say they thought that was the worst one by far. And many others are also liking The Shining.

But not dissing on you at all, because I've heard just as many people say what you state. So there doesn't seem to be as much consensus this year.

That said, last year, while I loved HHN, I did think Knott's was, to a certain degree, a better overall haunt. All of their mazes has a very distinct personality and mood, while the ones at HHN, while very high quality, all sort of start to feel the same after a while.

Final thought: timing and the scareactors can also change the intensity of the maze. I'd say as an overall, HHN has by far the more consistent quality scareactors, which adds a lot. Knott's scareactors can be very, very hit and miss. I've gone through mazes at Knott's where they scareactors were on their game, then would enter the same maze later in the night and they'd either be gone entirely or acting like they were taking a break and not interact whatsoever.
                      Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

Comment

You're preaching to the choir. Here's the thing, what do I want out of a maze? Do I want awesome sets/mood or do I want lots of scares? I think most of us want a nice combo of the two.

Ash does that. It marries it all together. I wasn't expecting it to be so good and maybe thats why I was pleasantly surprised. It's funny because KRAMPUS got a lot of flack last year, and it was actually one of the best mazes last year. I think if you just want GORE and SCARES, you were disappointed. But if you wanted great sets, mood, atmosphere with some THRILLS you were happy.

The Shining needed more space, and a bigger budget. The whole time I thought, "this feels cheap". The over reliance on heavily edited video projectors really pull you out of the experience. The lack of an actual hedge maze, despite promising it on the front, is also disappointing. Its a major disappointment. After the success of Exorcist last year, I had high hopes for them being able to pull Shining off.

I think what you have to do is sift through the hyperbole of horror fanatics WANTING to love something more than what it is. Just because it's a SHINING maze, that doesn't mean it's a great maze automatically. I think people forgive it because they see iconographic things that they enjoy. But as a veteran theme park goer, I'd like to see Shining elevated to something more than a carny quality experience. It just could have been so much more. And considering they are saving money on Scarezones this year, they could have put that into the mazes.

Oh well. I'll be back again, I have the frequent fear pass. But yes, I am so looking forward to KNOTTS now for redemption.

Originally posted by JesterMn View Post
                        I haven't yet had a chance to go myself yet (next weekend!), but I've also gone for the last 7-ish years. Reviews I've heard are all over the place. You loved Ash Vs. Evil Dead. I've heard just as many people say they thought that was the worst one by far. And many others are also liking The Shining.

But not dissing on you at all, because I've heard just as many people say what you state. So there doesn't seem to be as much consensus this year.

That said, last year, while I loved HHN, I did think Knott's was, to a certain degree, a better overall haunt. All of their mazes has a very distinct personality and mood, while the ones at HHN, while very high quality, all sort of start to feel the same after a while.

Final thought: timing and the scareactors can also change the intensity of the maze. I'd say as an overall, HHN has by far the more consistent quality scareactors, which adds a lot. Knott's scareactors can be very, very hit and miss. I've gone through mazes at Knott's where they scareactors were on their game, then would enter the same maze later in the night and they'd either be gone entirely or acting like they were taking a break and not interact whatsoever.

Comment

The Shiining isn't bad....just to me it was the worst one I went on

I really was suprised how much I enjoyed the Tram, its been like 5+ years since I thought they did a really good job with that maze set up

GET there as early as you can, it really helps. I did all the mazes but Horror story by 11:15 PM
                          Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

Here is my write-up of tips/tricks/thoughts for this year.

Overall thoughts: this year was pretty meh, especially compared to the past few years. Much like the main MiceChat review mentioned, the loss of the Scare Zones on the upper lot affected the atmosphere majorly. There weren't even any decorations or anything up until maybe an hour before when they wheeled in some vignettes on a cart. No fire. I know it's probably something to do with the construction going on there, but still kind of sad. On the lower lot there were zero decorations at all, just a little fog. Nothing on the Transformers tanks or anything. The only other "decorations" were projected lights. Not even roving monsters like when they had Silent Hill down there. Not even the raptor was out when I was there. It did seem like the budget was cut somewhere.

Also, I was surprised that it looked like they were actually serving alcohol at Moe's Tavern--might be a first for an HHN when usually they cancel all alcohol service in the park.

The lines did seem more organized this year, though, which was appreciated. There seemed to be a LOT more front-of-the-line passholders this year. The lines were frequently held up to let long streams of Gate A passes through. Security was also pretty flawless, especially for early entry (you were funneled to the special ticket takers in the middle of the gates where they gave you a yellow or tan wristband). We only were asked to show our wristbands once, though, and that was when we were headed towards the Toxic Tunnel.

The ticketing system was hit-or-miss. The idea was good but I don't know how many line-cutters it actually caught since the places it seemed the ticket givers were stationed were after a person who cut would actually cut. The only people it could stop were the kinds of cutters who use the "my group is up there" excuse.

So logistically speaking, it wasn't too bad. But it did seem overcrowded. Interesting, though, the wait times for the mazes would fluctuate from something like 35 to 80 minutes to 135 minutes to 65 minutes every half hour, so it's kind of hard to predict really which order is best to go in but here's the way we did it which allowed us to not just do all the mazes but also watch the Jabbawockeez by 1:30 AM without a Gate A pass (sorta).

Early Entry
                            We arrived at the park by 3 PM with our annual pass. Early entry really is the only way you'll get almost everything done, especially this year when it seemed like there was less to do than there's been in a while.

Initially we went to the lower lot to line up for the 4 mazes (Saw/Ash/Shining/AHS) but based on the Horror Nights Twitter, we found out Insidious was the longest line of the night so we switched lines and headed over there by 4:30 PM. We were about the 17th in line or so. After that, the line grew exponentially.

Insidious (total wait time: 45 min)
                            Our line was let in to the actual holding area at 5 PM.Then finally we were let in at 5:15 PM on the dot with a loud whoop. The characters Specs and Tucker were wandering around. If you tell them the secret word from the Horror Nights Twitter, you get a cool little souvenir and a funny little interaction. The maze itself was alright, but there were long stretches of nothing but black walls. After we got out, I felt kind of underwhelmed. It seemed pretty underdone.

Toxic Tunnel
                            When we went in, it was still daylight so none of the lights were working nor any scareactors were out.The Toxic Tunnel I think was improved from last year's Purge tunnel because they removed the super long fencing that divided both sides and didn't allow any of the scareactors the whole tunnel much movement. Now the scareactors can move back and forth so they are a lot less predictable and easy to see. There was also less traffic in the lower lot that would constantly hold up groups of people crossing the street last year. Good work.

SAW (total wait time: 8 min)
                            We chose to do SAW because we read that it was the second most popular maze that year after Insidious. By the time we got there, the sign said 25 minutes but the line moved pretty quickly and steadily. This maze was well-detailed and more gory than scary. The smells in here were in full effect. This one did let a lot of light leak through so maybe it would've been more effective if we'd seen this at night.

Ash vs. the Evil Dead (total wait time: 20 min)
                            We wanted to complete the mazes that were clustered there so we did Ash which had a pretty fast-moving line. This maze is pretty entertaining and, again, well-detailed. I loved that there were basically three different sets. Good stuff.

Taco Break
                            We got some food before we finished our time in the lower lot. Definitely if you have the option, choose the taco truck because the grilled cheese truck seemed to take forever. The bread in the grilled cheese is somewhat like French Toast so I think that's what added to the prep time. Everyone who got tacos got theirs as soon as they ordered but the grilled cheese crowd seemed to keep growing. Also the cheese in the grilled cheese is basically Kraft's singles. Still tasted good, though.

American Horror Story (total wait time: 30 min)
                            This was an example of the wait time on the sign being very different from the actual because the sign said 65 minutes but the line kept moving so it was actually 30 minutes. They played lots of commercials and trailers while you wait in line. Seeing a trailer for Pitch Perfect was sort of jarring haha. At least it wasn't a repetitive video like they used to have (still have the loop for the 2012 Texas Chainsaw Massacre maze stuck in my head) so I didn't mind. The maze itself was well done (although some of the sets looked somewhat under-decorated, there was literally a table with a plate and two candles and that was it). I enjoyed it more than last year. I didn't watch this last season of AHS so I was kind of lost, but I enjoyed it. There wasn't the typical cut-out pop-out scare in this one and the end was so fun.

Shining (total wait time: 75 min)
                            As you can see, the wait times significantly jumped by 8 PM when most people arrive for the event.While waiting in line, the line actually got a LOT shorter. We saw it go from 80 to 65 in the hour and 15 minutes we were waiting. Crazy. As for the maze, it was incredible what they were able to do in terms of set design and production quality. I will say, though, it's more eye candy than scares. This one had a lot of the cut-out pop-outs. It was fun seeing your favorite scenes like "Heeeere's Johnny!" in real life.

Scare Zone
                            We didn't hear any screaming coming from it so we skipped it.

Titans of Terror Tram (total wait time: 8 min)
                            OK I admit that I don't really know how you'd do everything without some sort of advantage like the one we had. Because we're annual pass holders, we were given the option at pre-order to pick a "bonus gift" of our choice. We chose the Front of the Line Terror Tram perk. When we got in line, I think the line was somewhere close to 120 minutes. They used up the entire queue line. And I'm glad we did choose this perk because this year the Terror Tram was absolutely not worth any more than 30 minutes wait.

Chucky was supposed to be the theme for this attraction (or was he the theme for this entire season?) but he was barely there. He just showed up in the video, a few Chuckys with saws at the beginning, and then nothing. No more Chucky. They could've done something cool like the Chucky room in the old House of Horrors attraction but most of the time was spent making it basically a 2nd version of the Titans of Terror maze. Literally. Like the same vignettes (face peeling, body sawing, grandpa cheering) showed up in the Titans of Terror maze, not to mention in mazes years past. That was extremely disappointing. And unlike in past years where it felt really long (you went left and up a hill and then through a few vignettes before coming back down to the airplane), it sent you straight through the Bates Motel and to the airplane for the second year in a row. There were so many areas that had missed potential, which I know because they had stuff there in past years. Just empty.

And the walking area was so congested that the scareactors had to work supremely hard to scare anyone when they were pressed up against them in some points. They still managed to work it, though.

The wait for the return tram didn't seem as bad this year, though. And they played another commercial for the new Chucky movie before we got off haha.

Jabbawockeez
                            We were impressed by the Jabbawockeez show last year but this year it wasn't as electric. Less lasers, maybe. It's skippable this year. The storyline is basically that they are space explorers whose spaceship crashes and they need to retrieve three things to fix their ship. By dancing. Or something.

Titans of Terror (total wait time: 60 min)
                            This is a skippable maze. If you've been to Horror Nights before, this will feel like a repeat. And if you went to the Terror Tram before this, even moreso. And the wait was excruciating. This was one where they held the line until absolutely all the Gate A passes were cleared. And by this time of the night, your feet are probably KILLING you. It was nice that they let you actually sit in some of the Waterworld benches this time, though. Last year they told us we couldn't sit down.

Blumhouse of Horrors (total wait time: 40 min)
                            The wait sign said 65 min and we almost didn't go because we were so tired and it was 1 AM but boy are we glad we waited.This was one of my favorite mazes of the night. First, it was really long which I was grateful for. And the scareactors were TOP NOTCH. They were aggressive and made me laugh so much. Also the sets were well done and very cinematic. And best of all, VERY FEW CUT-OUT POP-OUTS. Except in the Happy Death Day section. But overall, I was impressed.

Exit
                            The final scareactors with saws at the exit were ON POINT. Just wanted to give them a shout out. Literally had two of them come straight at me in tandem. It was awesome.

Comment

Some Spoilers.Here are my thoughts on this years HHN. We grabbed the RIP tickets since we love to go on mazes multiple times.We arrived at the gate at 6:20 to grab or credentials. We were then assigned to eat from 6:20 to 7:20. After that we were led through all the mazes and terror tram. that part lasted about 2 hours. Once we were left on our own we were in the back lot portion of the mazes so we decided to go back through Ash, SAW, and AHS 2 more times each. After that we made our way back to the Transformers area to hit Transformers and The mummy as well as insidious and The shining 4 more times each. After that we headed back up the escalators and went through Blumhouse and Titans of terrors 2 more times each. Below are my thoughts on each maze.

Titans of Terror 3 times
                              The idea of a die hard fan having nightmares about these three "Titans of Terror is neat. The maze was a bunch of scenes rehashed from previous years. While I enjoy Freddy/Jason and Leatherface the maze itself seems a bit choppy and was just a bunch of scenes thrown together.I am more of a fan of one subject per maze and not a greatest hits type of approach which a lot of the mazes this year were. I did enjoy seeing the Freddy prop that is like a snake though LOL Seeing Jason is always awesome in itself too.

TWD 1 time
                              We only went through this one once as we felt it is barely any different than the daytime version. Really there are a couple more Walkers but to me not enough.

Blumhouse 3 times
                              We enjoyed this one a lot. Even though it is a greatest hits type of maze we felt they put a ton of effort into it. The outside portion was for the Purge and was a great waltrhough. he fact it was outside was great too.The Liberty on stilts scareactor was on point and kept messing with me which I love. The next portion was Happy death Day and because I am excited for the movie I enjoyed seeing the baby face pop up everywhere LOL. I loved the room with multiple baby faces in it. The sinister portion seems a bit short but it was a good ending to the maze.

The Shining 5 times
                              By far my favorite maze. Now I love the movie so it would be obvious as to way I loved this one. You basically walk through the movie and I loved that. John Murdy but a lot into this maze and had a good budget for it. You could see it in multiple scenes and the way they were pulled off. Seeing the twins, seeing the guy who says "what a great party", even th person in the dog costume were just fantastic. The ending through the maze was great too.I snuck a great shot of the final scene LOL I really don't lie to taek pictures but I had to. Outside of "Halloween" The shining is one of my favorite horror movies.

Insidious into the further 5 times
                              This maze was a lot of fun but did suffer from the greatest hits type of atmosphere. Also there were some hallways that seem underused. I did enjoy the portion that had the red demon guy in it which is why we went on it a bunch. Plus the music playing helps that section a lot. I wish they would have just stuck to the first movie for this one because the year they did that the maze was awesome!

Ash VS the Evil Dead 3 times
                              The maze was pure fun. I love the movies and the show and this felt like a great balance of that. There were 3 main scenes to deal with. Of course the cabin scenes were awesome. There was a really great effect with one of the dead that we absolutely loved.

SAW 3 times
                              For whatever reason we didn't like this one. It felt like they repeated scenes over and over again. With so many saw movies seems like they could have had multiple themes like in years past. A lot of people I now loved it but we just didn't

AHS Roanke 3 times
                              We enjoyed this one more than the season of Roanke LOL. The butcher was very cool to see. The blood moon looked nice.The scenery seemed a bit bare in parts though but overall was a solid and fun maze.

Terror tram 1 time
                              Didn't like this at all. Felt lazy. Too many people on it so you just stood in a line for most of it. The best part was the chubby chuckys in the beginning honestly LOL

Over all this was a fun time and a good HHN. Some things I noticed is they cold easily have more mazes and scare zones but choose not too for whatever reason. I suspect budget cuts. Also why can't springfield dress up for Halloween? It really kills the vibe walking through that area. Also at the bottom of the escalator they need a scarezone again. We sipped the show because we had seen the Jabbowackeez the previous years. They really need more than one show and a new show as well. I miss bill and ted but would welcome any new comedy show at this point.

DL 55th BDAY trip report
                              NYE 2011 trip report
                              Leap year 24 hour report
                              New DCA trip report
                              NYE 2012
                              HKDL trip report

Comment

Ad Widget